Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!"

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

226"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There you go gettin' all technical named on me.....LOL

Yeah, that's what I was tryin' to think of. No matter what you call it, it's Good Stuff!

227"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I read a book on making ice cream. It said it is best to let the custard chill in the fridge overnight. Something happens to base during this time which produces a better ice cream.

This is the first time I've made ice cream with eggs on the stove, Bug.  Normally, I do the kind without eggs.  I know eggs make it taste more like the premium ice cream (e.g., Ben & Jerry's, my personal favorite brand 'cause of their super flavors) so I decided to try it.  It mixed up really well in the ice cream maker, and then we packed it into four 32-ounce sour cream containers and then stirred in the buttered pecans and mixed it up.  Now we will turn them upside down in the freezer every hour for a couple of hours so the pecans don't fall down to the bottom.  Boy, the soft serve out of the ice cream maker tasted good, too!

My next flavor I plan to make is pistachio -- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pistachio ice cream, especially B&J's.  Homemade ice cream is not cheap to make with the heavy cream and light cream (or Half and Half) but it's sooo worth it.

228"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

[quote="Crybaby"]
Bugster2 wrote:and then we packed it into four 32-ounce sour cream containers and then stirred in the buttered pecans and mixed it up

My next flavor I plan to make is pistachio -- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE pistachio ice cream, especially B&J's.  Homemade ice cream is not cheap to make with the heavy cream and light cream (or Half and Half) but it's sooo worth it.  

That would be THREE and 1/2 for me and 1/2 for Dane.....Man, I love ice cream!

And if you wanted "cheap", you'd just go to the grocery store and buy what was on sale. You wanted the fun of making it and the taste of all that goodness.

229"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 7:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I put some burgers on the grill. Lately Dane hasn't wanted the bun, which is a huge switch from the last 45 years when he pitched a moaning session if I said we were out of buns....but he's trying to cut back on white stuff and carbs so it's OK with me.

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 052714

230"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:lol and let me tell you real ice cream is so good.If I can have the restraint to have a very small amount ,I am good to go.The hell with 1/3 of a peach too. "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 2876911673 

I didn't make the custard for the Butter Pecan icecream until yesterday (no room in the fridge to chill it).  Made it yesterday afternoon and decided to let it chill overnight once I made room

So we're making it today.  Brian just came back from the store; he went to get some rock salt and some ice.  Since he was going to a different store than he normally does, he took the small list we had going and left.

He just came back.  Guess what?  He forgot to get the ice!!  This is par for the course for him.  He just laughed, shrugged and said he will go to the convenient store and get the ice.  

Personally, I think Brian is pixilated...

TTell Brian...don't feel bad. Tina got out of her sweats ( house loungers ) and went to the supermarket to get the stuff to make Italian wedding soup.

She gets home...changes back into her comfie's, makes a tea, and starts sautee the onions....and all of a sudden I hear the word sxxt!!

I thought perhaps she burned the onions, but no....She forgot to buy the escarole...

I told her...use the Romaine lettuce we have lots of.
I told her ( Being and growing up Italian, anything leafy and green can be cooked and taste good).
Actually the romaine was softer and less stringy in the soup.

231"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was gonna do it, but Tina took on the job....making fried meatballs with the leftover ground round from yesterday.

They hit the spot, but I'm still thinking of something more for supper. I may eat those two sausage links on a hot dog roll. Only thing is, it is not Hot Sausage.
Adding hot pepper doesn't compare with the Hot Pepper in the sausage. It's like throwing cheese on top of macaroni and saying it's macaroni and cheese. Not The Same Taste!

232"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I make a killer Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream. I haven't really made anything else that has come up to my standards. I think I may try a gelato and see what happens. I was hoping to find a really good vanilla ice cream recipe but so many of them use too many egg yolks which IMHO makes an eggy tasting ice cream. BLECH!

233"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Tue May 27, 2014 8:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I make a killer Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream. I haven't really made anything else that has come up to my standards. I think I may try a gelato and see what happens. I was hoping to find a really good vanilla ice cream recipe but so many of them use too many egg yolks which IMHO makes an eggy tasting ice cream. BLECH!

Same here bugs1 I Hate Eggy Ice Cream...yuck.

Reminds me when Mom would make me egg nog with a hand beater, and I was forced to drink it. ( G A G G I N G )'
I was so skinny mom took me to the doctors to see if I had rickets.

hhahahahah...and after 7 and getting my tonsils out, I Turned into Balloon Ass Boy!.... and now B A Man!...Old Man too!

234"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Wed May 28, 2014 3:24 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I make a killer Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream. I haven't really made anything else that has come up to my standards. I think I may try a gelato and see what happens. I was hoping to find a really good vanilla ice cream recipe but so many of them use too many egg yolks which IMHO makes an eggy tasting ice cream. BLECH!

Why don't you post that recipe, Bug, if it's not too much trouble. Both Brian and I like Bailey's so that's one I'd like to try.

I have a good vanilla ice cream recipe but it's the kind without any eggs and is not a cooked custard. Ooh, but I love homemade vanilla made with vanilla beans! If I remember right, I use both the beans and the extract. It's good to make and mix different cookies, chocolate chunks or Reese's Peanut Butter Cup chunks in the ice cream prior to putting it in the freezer for hardening.

We dug into the Butter Pecan Ice Cream once it was in the freezer for four hours. Boy, was it good! And the super thing was that the pecans (I used chopped AND pecan halves) were well distributed, which I try very hard to get right.

235"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

speaking of ice..First off , I have a ice maker that just keeps on & on & on with the ice.I dump the bucket every other day.I have a freezer with bags of it.Not to use but if my power goes out it will hopefully keep my stuff frozen..
I prefer clear ice  "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 2876911673 back when I bought it 50c/75c a bag.
I see now it is $3.& $4.  Shocked But this ice also has bad taste due to my bad tasting water..

I have a electric one, Makes great ice cream but I have not had the urge to make some ...YET lol...

236"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Wed May 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:

Why don't you post that recipe, Bug, if it's not too much trouble.  Both Brian and I like Bailey's so that's one I'd like to try.

I have a good vanilla ice cream recipe but it's the kind without any eggs and is not a cooked custard.  Ooh, but I love homemade vanilla made with vanilla beans!  If I remember right, I use both the beans and the extract.  It's good to make and mix different cookies, chocolate chunks or Reese's Peanut Butter Cup chunks in the ice cream prior to putting it in the freezer for hardening.

We dug into the Butter Pecan Ice Cream once it was in the freezer for four hours.  Boy, was it good!  And the super thing was that the pecans (I used chopped AND pecan halves) were well distributed, which I try very hard to get right.

This recipe never gets rock hard. It is very sweet and rich. I usually make a half batch because it isn't the type of ice cream one can eat in large amounts.

Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream
Servings: 4
Categories: Dessert
Directions
1.In one saucepan, place the Bailey's in another pan, place the milk. Place both pans over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove milk from heat. Continue to simmer the Bailey's till reduced by half.

2.In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Add the hot milk to the eggs and sugar mix. Pour back into the pan. Heat over medium-low, whisking, until mix reaches 185 °. Do not over cook because mixture will curdle. Remove from heat, strain.

3.Cool custard 10 minutes. Add vanilla, Bailey's. Strain again. Add cream and chill at least 8 hours or overnight before freezing.
Ingredients
Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream

2 cups Bailey's Irish Cream
4 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cups cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

237"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Wed May 28, 2014 6:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks wonderful, Bugster! Would you want to copy it over and put it in the dessert section? I could do it but then it would look like it was MY recipe and I want to be sure you get full credit when we go back and look for it.

Just start a new thread in desserts titled, "Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream".

Yum, yum....Double YUM!

238"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Wed May 28, 2014 7:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted some beef and didn't see anything that struck my fancy....so, I dug a little deeper and found some cubed round steak in the freezer. As soon as I saw it I knew my mouth was startin' to water for some Chicken Fried Steak.

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 052814

239"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Wed May 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I took out a whole chicken yesterday to make lemon chicken in my electric skillet. It is big enough & has a high lid.I forgot to cut the back out this morning.Then by the time I thought about it, I lost interest lol..

I just now cut the thing in half & tossed it in a dutch oven.Soup?? Casserole??

IDK. But tomorrows dinner is in the wind..

240"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 am

Niagara Visitor

I haven't been here for a while, I think you will all understand, though..

I don't know where else to post this, but thought that this might be an appropriate place, for my hubby sure loved food. He died peacefully on May 17, with me holding his hand and our sons and both daughters-in-law at his side. He developed an unexpected abdominal obstruction, surgery was not an option, and he would not have wanted it. With the caring help of an understanding doctor, he did not suffer long, and died 6 days after the blockage appeared. He did not want any heroics to prolong his life, and we were able to see to that.

We buried his ashes in a beautyful old cemetery near where he used to ride both his bicycle and his horse, and then we had a grand party to celebrate his life on our farm. I ordered a big tent, we had a fishfry, lots of sausages, shrimp, salads, lots of sweets, coffee, my sister made dozens of devilled eggs, we had way too much beer and wine.

We had over 100 people, he would have loved the party!

241"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara... so sorry to hear of your husbands passing.

We will keep him in our prayers for the lost, but together in a better place with the Lord.

I'm sure, some way, he was there in spirit while the fish fry was going on in his memory.

You take care of yourself, and it is understandable that you were going throgh a tough period.

God Bless You and your supporting family!

242"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 12:48 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Please accept my sympathy for your loss. I am so sorry. I am glad you had a celebration of his life. That is the way things should be.

243"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 12:51 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I ordered a pizza take out for tonight.
GD and I had some slices.
Tina went to dinner at Long Horn with Friend Mary. ( Irish we call her ).

She had stuffed portabella's and got deathly sick.
The cheese obstructed her stomach and would not pass through.
She just made it to Mary's and had to run into the woods to rid it.
It would just not stay down.

I'm gonna have a nice piece of coconut custard pie for dessert.

244"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Oh dear! Poor Tina! I hope she is feeling better now.

245"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 7:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Niagra sorry for your loss. RIP husband... "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 3561122519 

246"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 7:58 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy sorry Tina got so sick.Was it her or the LH food.I would let them know.For sure....
We had the one here go belly up.Think we had 2,they are gone now...

Tell her to feel better soon from us.. flower 

247"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 8:19 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I haven't been here for a while, I think you will all understand, though..

I don't know where else to post this, but thought that this might be an appropriate place, for my hubby sure loved food.  He died peacefully on May 17, with me holding his hand and our sons and both daughters-in-law at his side.  He developed an unexpected abdominal obstruction, surgery was not an option, and he would not have wanted it.  With the caring help of an understanding doctor, he did not suffer long, and died 6 days after the blockage appeared.  He did not want any heroics to prolong his life, and we were able to see to that.

We buried his ashes in a beautyful old cemetery near where he used to ride both his bicycle and his horse, and then we had a grand party to celebrate his life on our farm.  I ordered a big tent, we had a fishfry, lots of sausages, shrimp, salads, lots of sweets, coffee, my sister made dozens of devilled eggs, we had way too much beer and wine.

We had over 100 people, he would have loved the party!

Oh, Lore, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know Dieter was your main concern in the last year when you moved to the condo in the city to be close to him during his stay at the care facility. I remember many stories you told of how the two of you would have your fish frys and would cook his beloved sausages over the open fire of the fire pit on the farm.

I'm sure he was at the 'party' in his honor and memory and was happy to see all the people he loved join together to remember him and share a story or two about his life.

My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you.

248"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

[quote="Niagara Visitor"]I haven't been here for a while, I think you will all understand, though..

Niagra, I am so sorry for your loss. Having a big celebration of your husband's life was the way to go.....and a fish fry! as Jimmy said, he was there in spirit, hugging you......

((((hugs))))

249"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Oh dear! Poor Tina! I hope she is feeling better now.

Thanks bugs.... Yeah! a lot of things she cannot eat, or she can it it one time, and the next time she cannot. All a afterlife after having Bariatric Bypass Surgery in 2002.

She eats so little all the time, and cannot eat beef, pork; chicken sometimes.
No spaghetti, but can eat rice or like Gnocci or pierogie.
Even chopped up and cut small spaghetti is a no no.

I ate the leftover portabella's and they were with a solid hard to chew cheese.

Sweets...she has no problem unless it has raw sugar like on a pastry with that drizzle icing.

We were told that everything she eats, goes directly into the small intestine.

After throwing it, when she came home from her friends, she was hungry, and had no problem eating a small slice of pizza. There is no rhyme nor reason.

250"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 10 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Thu May 29, 2014 2:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Have no clue what will be made / cooked today.

Have sauce (tomato) and meat balls fried. maybe macaroni of some kind??

Isn't thursday Prince spaghetti day??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum