Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon!

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pan fried Cajun catfish, stir fried rice with mushrooms, snap peas and soy sauce."

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_20_16

bethk and cookingirl like this post

77February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:25 am

Cookin Lore

Thanks.......................... Doing an intense search through my cookbooks this morning. We, our social committee in the building, have planned a tapas party for Sunday. So, I'm looking for something to make that is a bit other than the normal or often made things like a bruscetta, or stuffed mushrooms. found a recipe for what are called potato salad bites. Smallish potatoes, cooked, then cut in half. some of the pulp removed, mashed, then mixed with potato salad type things and then stuffed. They look interesting. Think I'll try them today. I'll try different potatoes to see which hold up the best. Wish me luck!

My first thought is to make something seafoody, but with so many allergies around, a potato salad is a safer choice.

78February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, I did a chicken salad in a baby romaine leaf for a baby shower. I didn't over stuff so they were able to be picked up and eaten.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, I did a chicken salad in a baby romaine leaf for a baby shower.  I didn't over stuff so they were able to be picked up and eaten.

That sounds great also. Less work than the potato things. Thanks.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore ~ I just saw a part of The Pioneer Woman.....made bacon wrapped baby potatoes sprinkled with chili lime seasoning.  

She didn't pre-cook her potatoes, but I would.  Just wrapped in bacon & secured with a tooth pick.  Placed on a rack, sprinkled with chili lime seasoning (or whatever sounds good to you).....baked at 350° until the bacon was crispy all over.  

Served with bottled blue cheese salad dressing or ranch dressing.

Now, THAT sounded easy!

I remember, back in the 1970's when 'Cocktail Parties' were all the rage (especially for those just reaching 'drinking age') I made a bacon wrapped giant stuffed green olive appetizer.  They were really good.....and easy.  As I remember, just stuck them under the broiler and turned them a few times.  Now days they would cook & crisp up in an air fryer.  Easy peasey.

cookingirl likes this post

NormM

NormM

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Image-33

Our dinner tonight was Banh Mi sandwiches.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Banh Mi sandwiches ~ YUM! Love the pickled vegetables on them!

Something unusual for me.....leftovers (that I am not complaining about)

It was leftover chicken pot pie. I like it as much as HE does..... Made a salad to finish off the meal.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_21_15

83February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:03 pm

Cookin Lore

I,m not much of a sandwich person, saw them making those on Beat Bobby Flay the other day.

JanaAZ

Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks.......................... Doing an intense search through my cookbooks this morning.  We, our social committee in the building, have planned a tapas party for Sunday.  So, I'm looking for something to make that is a bit other than the normal or often made things like a bruscetta, or stuffed mushrooms.  found a recipe for what are called potato salad bites. Smallish potatoes, cooked, then cut in half.  some of the pulp removed, mashed, then mixed with potato salad type things and then stuffed.  They look interesting.  Think I'll try them today.  I'll try different potatoes to see which hold up the best.  Wish me luck!

My first thought is to make something seafoody, but with so many allergies around, a potato salad is a safer choice.

I had a tapas party last year and I think I still have the recipes if you want. No seafood here…I’m deathly allergic

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:Thanks.......................... Doing an intense search through my cookbooks this morning.  We, our social committee in the building, have planned a tapas party for Sunday.  So, I'm looking for something to make that is a bit other than the normal or often made things like a bruscetta, or stuffed mushrooms.  found a recipe for what are called potato salad bites. Smallish potatoes, cooked, then cut in half.  some of the pulp removed, mashed, then mixed with potato salad type things and then stuffed.  They look interesting.  Think I'll try them today.  I'll try different potatoes to see which hold up the best.  Wish me luck!

I had a tapas party last year and I think I still have the recipes if you want. No seafood here…I’m deathly allergic

Thanks, I have lots of ideas now. I actually made some of the potato salad bites last night. Tuned out great, and they are definitely a contender.

NormM

NormM

Charlie was paying a couple of teens that he is friends with to do some yard work. I made some milk bread. He came in the kitchen and wanted to order some food for them but then asked if I could make some chicken breasts, Martini style. It was 4:30 and I figured I could if he would watch the bread in the oven. I ran to the store, he got one loaf out of the oven while I was gone and the second one came out as I was walking into the kitchen. A little over an hour later the chicken was done along with some pasta and alfredo sauce and a mixed vegetables from the freezer dept. at the store. Charlie cut up the bread and make garlic bread with the slices. We were done eating sometime after 6 PM but it didn't think to take pictures.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night HE wanted warmed up (leftover) Publix fried chicken. I just couldn't face it. So, I made myself a batch of corn fritters ~ a childhood desperation supper we had a lot. It's well drained canned corn (or fresh, cut off the cob which was most usual when I was young) mixed in a bit of flour, baking soda/baking powder and an egg. It all gets mixed together and they get fried much like lumpy corn pancakes. I either have them with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or pancake syrup.

And to my surprise, HE wanted the last two (that I planned to just toss) and I think they were just fine.

Tonight we're going out with neighbors Jim & Deb ~ probably to Bamboo Bistro for something yummy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a thawed chicken breast I had planned to make into chicken fingers....

Then, when I was at the store today, I saw some really nice baby romaine and decided to make Chicken lettuce wraps instead. I figured I could just look up a copy cat PF Chang's recipe and be just fine. Well, it was OK ~ just barely. It tasted nothing like what I get at the restaurant. So I won't be saving THAT recipe in my files! LOL

But, we ate it and both are full. Sometimes you get lucky and other times it's a big bust......

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_24_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning HE asked, "What's for supper?"

I was in the middle of doing laundry and I just looked at him ~ finally said, "I don't have a clue ~ I'm out of ideas."

So, about 10 minutes later HE said, "Well, I'm trying to figure out what to have for my lunch. How about creamed ham on toast?"

Okey Dokey.....easy as can be. I usually have ham slices in the freezer and they thaw quickly. I also knew I just picked up some asparagus and that's a natural with ham. So, I didn't have to 'strain my brain' for an idea. HE came up with something!

I swear, the hardest part of making a meal is figuring out WHAT to cook!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_25_24

Cookin Lore

I made the potato salad bites, they went over well, will make them again sometime when I'm going to an appropriate party/get-together. Made them late afternoon yesterday, and they held up really well. Have sent a picture. Thanks ahead already, Beth!

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Potato salad “bites”

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_25_25

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Potato salad “bites”

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_25_25

Thanks. I forgot to take a second picture after I had put them on a nice platter, cut the bigger ones in half, stuck a little sprig of parsley on each for decoration................ You know how the chefs say "Add a bit of parsley, charge another $2.00! Those plastic containers are old Tupperware for which I have inserts for devilled eggs. They get used a lot in summer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's cousin & wife are visiting for a couple days.

We'll be out & about and I probably won't post.....

Hope you all have a good day!

JanaAZ

My friend gave me some lemons from her tree. I made lemon chicken over rice with asparagus with lemon garlic and parm. It doesn’t look like lemon chicken because the paprika took over the color. It was pretty tasty. February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Img_0211

Cookin Lore

THat looks great! I love, love asparagus, rarely buy it in winter. I look forward to when it's available from local farmers. But, once in a while I give in to the high price.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Same old, same old. Stir fry with shrimp. But rotini today because I didn’t have any of my fav noodles, tagliatelle."

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_28_19

NormM

NormM

Yesterday and the day before it was so nice and in the 70's so I got a slab of ribs to do today. By the time I got them ready and in the refrigerator yesterday and went outside to get the smoker ready, it had turned very cold and really windy. This morning there was a light coat of snow. Fortunately by noon it had warmed up to the mid to high 30's so smoking it wasn't so bad. It helped that Charlie had given me a temperature gauge that let me watch the temperature in the cooking chamber from my phone inside.February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Unname17

bethk

bethk
Admin

How frustrating for you, Norm, that you get your hopes up to sit out in the back yard, tending the smoker, and then old Mother Nature throws you a snowball!

But being able to monitor it from the comfort of a warm kitchen sounds great!

We spoke with our nephew this week in Fargo, ND ~ he said it was a beautiful 60° on Monday and on Wednesday morning it was -4°f......Now THAT'S COLD!

But, on the bright side, your temperatures should be warming up again soon.

(I hesitate to mention we had a gorgeous 82° day today.....)

NormM and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

from Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Early, no lunch, a late breakfast but hungry early.  Just a big salad using leftover Costco rotisserie chicken, and leftover mango salsa also from a few days ago.  I added a good splash of spicy balsamic with habanero agave. I love spicy!"

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 02_28_21

100February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:30 pm

Cookin Lore

WOW!! That was fast, Beth! Were you sitting, just waiting for my picture???

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum