Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon!

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Peruvian Chicken was a good meal. I would have preferred chicken thighs instead of legs but I had legs so that's what I used. That's just a personal preference. The chicken was in the marinade in the refrigerator for about 4 hours and then I had extra that I brushed on as I turned the chicken about 3 times. It was a good flavor and not at all spicy.

The potatoes were just done with a sliced onion separated in a dish with 1/2" potato slices added on top, seasoned with butter and s&p. I baked it covered for the first 15 minutes and then took the foil off so they could brown. We both liked the potatoes & fresh beans a lot.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_07_16

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_07_17

cookingirl likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

Oh no.. poor Jimmy.. I was thinking of asking about him, yesterday.. Prayers aer being sent.. and will be sent...

Not cooking.. not really... Been very busy.. Have cell phone issues, with spotty Cell access

. I have been running between Verizon, Apple, and then Verizon. I will say that Apple was very helpful. My phone does not have any hardware issues. Apple did a cell carrier check on it-- sure enough it is Verizons issue, not mine. Apple said my phone should last another 2-3 years. Verizon wanted me to buy a new phone. That is what they are telling everyone who has the same issue..

This problem started when they switched to the 5G stuff.. They jerk you around, making you so frustrated and then telling you that your phone is obsolete; so you HAVE to buy a new phone.. Since you are there, they will insist you buy it there. No Way..  

Yesterday afternoon, I went back to Verizon, with the Apple documentation in hand and said, 'What is the Solution? Apple says my phone is good for another 2-3 years, and does not have any hardware issues.."  "Apple did a carrier test, and it is Verizon's issue, not mine".
I blew up at them!

Bottom line, Since my temper flare--- and Verizon contacting Corporate Store, and Me having documentation from Apple-- in my hand.. My cell phone service is fine.. has not been spotty at all~ Continuous access since yesterday afternoon.

And on top of this: Geoffrey, (cat) was in one of his 'spells/flares". They last for a few days, with a few days of getting back to normal. And I had to go to a couple of Wakes/Funerals..

So, I have not been cooking.. some days are cheese & Crackers, some days are bakery pizza slices, bought some veggie lasagne..

But, I still read what is happening..

Next week, I hope to do some cooking.. just not sure what... I have a freezer full of food; both to use and to eat-- soups, minestrone and chicken..February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Img_1726

Geoffrey on my lap...

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

NormM

NormM

Sorry to hear that about Jimmy.  Hope he gets well quickly.

Norm

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

29February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:06 am

JanaAZ

Cold and snowy day here in the mountains so I was stuckmhommmwhen stuck home….what am I gonna do.? Stupid question…right

So today I made Cornish pasties for dinner. I had some leftover beef which I diced really small then I diced onions, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots rutabaga and lots of seasonings. I also made a dipping sauce. I was surprised how good they were. I’m glad I have a few for thr freezer. Not sure why my photos are now coming in sideways. Sorry

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Img_0114
February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Img_0115
February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Img_0113

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:Cold and snowy day here in the mountains so I was stuckmhommmwhen stuck home….what am I gonna do.?  Stupid question…right

So today I made Cornish pasties for dinner. I had some leftover beef which I diced really small then I diced onions, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots rutabaga and lots of seasonings. I also made a dipping sauce. I was surprised how good they were. I’m glad I have a few for thr freezer. Not sure why my photos are now coming in sideways.  Sorry

Judy ~ those look a lot like my Cuban empanadas. We love the filling of ground beef with cumin, cinnamon, other stuff and sliced pimento stuffed olives. I got the original recipe off allrecipes.com ~ Chef John's Picadillo.

Chef John's Picadillo

"A Cuban creation, picadillo is one of the world's great ground meat dishes. I went with beef, but you can add some pork and/or chorizo. Serve it with rice." (I stuff into Goya Discos ~ frozen foods aisle)

Ingredients
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (85% lean)
• 1 cup diced yellow onions
• 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I also add ½ tsp. Aleppo Pepper)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced (I omit ~ just me)
• 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
• 3 cups crushed tomatoes (I sub. 1 lg. can San Marzano whole tomatoes & crush by hand)
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup currants or raisins (I chop)
• 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives, or to taste

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and break up into small pieces with a spoon or spatula as it browns. Cook until meat completely loses its pink color, 8 to 10 minutes. Add diced onion and salt. Cook until onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add pepper, cumin, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper. Cook 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
2. Stir in red wine vinegar, crushed tomatoes, and water. Cook a few minutes while deglazing pan. Add currants; bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until meat is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Gently stir in sliced olives; cover and cook another 10 to 15 minutes.

Picadillo can be served with yellow rice. (Beth's note: I stuff mine into Goya discos, found in the frozen food aisle, and I either bake or shallow fry until brown for Cuban Empanadas)

cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Another 'no cooking' day.....

I am SO going with him on his upcoming medical appointment at the VA.......

(( sigh ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just got an update from Ms. Tina:

"Hi Beth, giving you an update. Jim was transferred to rehab, going to need therapy to get up and walk and strengthen his legs. He said, "hello". Waiting for the doctor to come in and it happens to be his family doctor that comes to this rehab center and she’s right across the street. Couldn’t ask for anything better, take care God bless

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had neighborhood brunch today ~ we have one every month.

And one good sized meal is enough for each of us so no cooking for me tonight.

The 'one good sized meal' may or may not be agreeing with his system. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight.  I found some new peppers at Costco today. Re, yellow, orange and a very deep red, almost black. Long, shaped like a large banana, so I stuffed three with a burger I had in the freezer.  They are very sweet."

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_10_13

"Ps to my dinner. Picture of the wonderful variety of peppers I found today. Banana do size comparison.  Remember when peppers were only green and occasionally red? I love the coloured peppers and eat them a lot."

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_10_14

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Stuffing those large peppers sounds like the perfect thing to do with them!

And, yes, I do remember when green & red (really ripe green peppers) were the only ones available. Much like when you wanted mushrooms in the 1960's ~ your choices were white button mushrooms or canned.

36February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:05 am

Cookin Lore

Thanks.  A few weeks ago I asked gardener GOOGLE about Peppers.  Found out some interesting things.  One, peppers as we know them all start out green.  And, they are what's called a tender perennial.  That  makes a lot of sense to me for the acres and acres of hothouse complexes here, particularly peppers.  Peppers of many colours.  They can basically harvest all year inside.  In moderate climates, or a greenhouse/hothouse, they can last 8 years.  And they are full of vitamins.  So, according to their VIT C content, I don't need to take supplements.  Peppers taste better anyway! LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE said, "No." to the question of "Would you like supper tonight ~ I'm making chicken breast". So, HE'LL fix his own eggs.....

I, on the other hand, have a skin-on chicken breast browned in a cast iron skillet ~ removed and potato slices & onion slices added to brown a bit ~ then the chicken breast placed on top and into the toaster oven at 350° to cook through and turn the potatoes & onions into a mash-up of chicken-y goodness.

I also have some red beets I cooked this morning ~ the stems & leaves will be simmered until tender & then the cooked beets added to heat through.

Just because HE doesn't want a meal doesn't mean I don't want to eat.....

HE has his regular scheduled appointment at the VA on Tuesday morning and I'm going along so we can discuss his current digestive problems. HE thinks just because his report of his blood work is 'perfect' there is no reason for concern.....

(( sigh ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

My chicken dinner was delicious. I don't know if it's because I don't usually cook potatoes but tonight they were SO good. I told my daughter about them and she said, "Potatoes cooked with chicken fat are MAGIC!"

Hahahahaha!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_11_21

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_11_22

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Just got an update from Ms. Tina:

"Hi Beth, giving you an update. Jim was transferred to rehab, going to need therapy to get up and walk and strengthen his legs. He said, "hello". Waiting for the doctor to come in and it happens to be his family doctor that comes to this rehab center and she’s right across the street. Couldn’t ask for anything better, take care God bless

I pray for your speedy recovery Jimmy February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 2599281016

bethk and cookingirl like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I ran out of idea for what to cook this week, last week I cooked beef enchilada casserole, they ate it for 3 meals and some salami/cheese sandwiches. My MiL likes sandwiches, some times when I had no idea what to cook or in hurry, I made sandwiches for her and I always have a big pack of fresh prepared and ready to eat salad in my fridge

bethk, NormM and cookingirl like this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

Still no cooking..
Getting a snow storm Tuesday. Snow amounts are varying by the hour.. some say 4-8, some 4.. who knows. All prepared if power goes out.

Took a cooking class today!! No kidding. The Rabbi, who is Vegetarian and from Israel, showed us how to make her vegetarian lentil soup. It was different. She uses both tumeric and cumin.

It was absolutely delicious! She uses Orange Lentils! She said they are not the same as regular lentils. In fact, she said that all the different colored lentils taste different. The black ones stay harder and in shape. The orange ones disintegrate in the soup. The soup cooks for about 40-45 minutes at a medium boil. She also does not crush the garlic.. just peels it, putting whole clove in. And it has a potato in it.

I have a bit for tomorrow. I will see how MY tummy does with it, before I make the soup.

I may, if I get a chance to go to the grocery store, later this week, buy the ingredients and make a small pot of it this weekend. We got to have lunch and take some home.

I think the next class, in 2 weeks will be shakshouka. Not something that appeals to me, but I will attend.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn ~ tumerick (besides giving a beautiful yellow color) is also a good anti-inflamattory herb.  It doesn't have much of a specific taste like cumin but it's good for you.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I figured since I was only cooking for myself these days I might as well make something only I like. So I made beans & greens ~ with some shell pasta. It was just pasta, cannelinni beans & kale cooked in homemade chicken bone broth.

It's one of my meatless meals that I enjoy.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_12_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tomorrow is HIS birthday ~ one of the big ones..... (NOT 74, NOT 76......LOL)

But our day is full with his doctor's appointment at the VA in the morning and then to Lyn's in the afternoon to cook our Christmas Dinner we didn't do because of her case of covid on Christmas morning.

We have the roast ( HUGE ) ready to go and we'll put together a 'Toledo' Salad that was one we all ate & made in the 1970's, made famous by local restaurant owner, Betty Timko.

Everyone else will bring sides and dessert.

Lyn also decided she wanted to have a 'White Elephant Gift Exchange' ~ probably more appropriate for Christmas than Valentine's Day....but what the heck!

It's a gift exchange where you take something from your home that's no longer useful to you but not 'junk' and wrap it and then everyone picks one and can exchange if they don't care for what they opened. I wrapped up a '12 in 1 Vegetable Chopper' that Carlowski gifted me with when he was cleaning out some cabinets. I never used it......I HAVE a knife! LOL Dane is going to surprise someone with a 'Do-It-Yourself-Lemonade-Kit'......10 lemons off our tree that NEEDED to be picked, a bag of sugar and two 'recipes' I printed from the internet.

45February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was our Christmas, 2023 Dinner ~ Postponed because of covid......

12 Pounds of prime rib ~ a doneness for every taste ~ Sides of salad, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole & corn casserole. And a cupcake for the Birthday Boy!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_13_16

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_13_17

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_13_18

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_13_19

NormM and Imelda HL like this post

Cookin Lore

That sure looks like one very happy birthday boy! And, what a wonderful looking roast. I went to Costco today, actually looked longingly at their prime rib roasts. Prices are unbelievable! A small one that I looked at was about $120. Honey Crisp apples, pack of 5.5 pounds broke down to $2.54/pound. I don't know how young families with children can manage.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE says HE is going to make eggs tonight.....HE thinks he overate last night (not a huge surprise since it was all so good) so it's probably a good idea for HIM.

Then he saw what I was making for my supper ~ I had everything in the refrigerator that needed to be used ~ produce gets soft so fast here, even when it's stored properly in the refrigerator. Anyway, I had a cucumber and part of a bag of the little multi colored sweet peppers, as well as half a red onion and a bunch of kalamata olives. So, Mediterranean Chicken Salad is it for me. And HE may have a small amount with his eggs since he really likes it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, it's one you've seen over and over and over again......

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 02_14_26

NormM

NormM

I made some bread a few days ago and Charlie was remembering his first day back home from Seattle. I had made some bread and honey lacquered Cornish hens and the air conditioner was on (Air conditioners are not common in Seattle apartments) He felt so good to be home. Today he asked me to make those again today. I did. We also had some rice and kim chi.February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Image-29
February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Image-30

bethk, cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

50February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm ~ you make the most beautiful breads! I can only imagine how great they taste.

NormM and cookingirl like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum