Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY, 2024

+3
NormM
bethk
Imelda HL
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1JANUARY, 2024 Empty JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:02 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I wish we all have a Blessed 2024

Black-eyed peas soup for today, with ham, collard greens and diced tomatoes

JANUARY, 2024 6c4b5910

bethk likes this post

2JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy New Year!

May our year be blessed with lots of laughter and inspiration of great foods!

Imelda HL likes this post

3JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had his choice: Pork & Sauerkraut w/spaetzle or Pork & Collard Greens.

HE decided on Pork & Sauerkraut, but it took him a while to finally make up his mind.

I have the sauerkraut in a bowl in the refrigerator, ready to layer with the pork shoulder steaks before putting it in the oven to bake low & slow. I like to mix a 14 oz. can of sauerkraut with some thinly sliced fresh cabbage and a grated apple (mellows everything). I don't want a lot of leftovers, although it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to make Pork & Sauerkraut for two.....so I opted for the pork shoulder steaks that were on sale BOGO last week.

4JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our traditional NW Ohio 'Good Luck' New Year's supper.....

Pork & Sauerkraut on Spaetzle.

I think HE inhaled his dinner.......I looked up and his plate was empty! LOL

JANUARY, 2024 01_01_25

5JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:52 pm

NormM

NormM

Our New Years dinner was rib roast, Blackeyed pea dip, collard greens, green beans, potatoes DauphJANUARY, 2024 Img_1318
JANUARY, 2024 Img_1317
inoise, creamed onions

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:11 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Our "good luck" meal, Black-eyed pea soup with smoked ham hock

JANUARY, 2024 E929b510

bethk and NormM like this post

7JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE came up with the idea of hot dogs for supper.

I heated up some of the 'Jimmy-the-Greek' sauce I have in little KFC coleslaw containers in the freezer ~ it's just enough for 2 or 3 hot dogs. I browned a slice of bacon for the little 8 oz. can of Bush's beans. And I bought a new bag of potato chips. I like fresh ones!

JANUARY, 2024 01_02_14

8JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have my collards cleaned & ready to cook for supper tonight. Last night I soaked half a bag of mayocoba beans ~ a bean similar to a white kidney bean but one Norm got me to try many years ago and we found we really like them.

I got the beans rinsed and started cooking them this morning. I tried something a bit different from my usual. When the beans came to a boil they always produce a lot of 'scummy' starch release at first. Today I drained them and re-rinsed and then wiped out the pot.....started them up again in boiling water and, violia!, no more scum! Yea for me!!!

After 45 minutes of boiling in plain water they were just starting to become tender so I added my chopped vegetables ~ carrots, onions, celery & serrano peppers as well a a bit of chopped ham and about a teaspoon of Kosher salt. I think everything will be tender in about 30 minutes or so. Then I can let them sit to meld flavors before reheating for our super.

9JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My beans are done cooking. They didn't take as long as I anticipated. I have them cooling in the refrigerator. I like them better when they're warmed up after a full cool-down.

So, now I have my collards cooking. It always amazes me how much they wilt. I had a 'stuffed-full' Tupperware 'Big-Green-Bowl' of the cleaned & sliced collards that I cleaned yesterday. Today I have them cooking in a regular size Dutch oven pot on the stovetop and there's maybe 2" simmering away. LOL

I started my collards seasoning with a couple slices of chopped bacon ~ I like a bit of smokiness with any greens. Then I added a sliced onion with some s&p, added some hot pepper flakes, Cajun seasoning, some of Rich's Mad Hunky seasoning (instead of the usual chili powder), some of the chopped ham and about a tablespoon of brown sugar, which is something an old Southern lady told me was the 'key' to greens not being bitter. My cooking liquid is about 3/4 c. of some ham stock from my freezer stash.

I asked HIM what he wanted with the beans & greens ~ brats or no meat. He chose no meat ~ super surprising to me but, hey, it works for me. I mean, it's not like 'NO' meat.....there's chopped ham in the beans (albeit only about 1/2 c.) and the greens have a couple slices of bacon and the same 1/2 c. of chopped ham.

I think I'll make some corny corn muffins / cornbread to go with tonight's supper. That sounds pretty good. And, yes, I wimp out and use Jiffy Mix corn muffin because that's what we both grew up eating and we happen to like it. I do usually add some corn ~ tonight will be canned corn, well drained. I'll blitz about half the can into a 'creamed corn' slurry and add the rest of the whole kernels to the mix. Then I just have to be careful about the amount of buttermilk I add with the egg so it's not too moist.

10JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm calling tonight's supper: Beans & Greens.....with a side of corn bread.

Neither of us missed a meat main...it wasn't vegetarian but was vegetable forward ~ and quite tasty.

Tonight might encourage me to make more vegetable forward meals.

But I have to say, the Jiffy Corn Bread with the addition of corn was probably my favorite. I don't think I'll ever make 'ordinary' cornbread again! And it started one time because I had a couple ears of fresh corn that needed to be used. The fresh corn really was the best. It was a pop of taste and texture.

JANUARY, 2024 01_03_18

11JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Cajun catfish fillet; lentils and chick peas with peppers, cucumber, parsley and thyme. Yumm!"

JANUARY, 2024 01_03_19

bethk, NormM and Imelda HL like this post

12JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just to let be known....will be out from posting..... Me, Tina, and Maria are fighting RSV.
It's Hell. See you soon. With the help of God.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

13JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Just to let be known....will be out from posting..... Me, Tina, and Maria are fighting RSV.
It's Hell. See you soon. With the help of God.

Oh, no, Jimmy. Know you will all be in our thoughts & prayers. Call in help if you need to.....now is not the time to think you can do it all yourselves.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

14JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:02 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Oh No, Jimmy... You and your family will be in my prayers.. RSV is not anything to fool around with; especially for us seniors.

Covid is running rampant in my building. We have had 50 tenants and 9 staff come down with it, since Christmas. One of my friends has been hospitalized since Christmas with Covid, and complications. Another one just had a 'cold'. She still isolated for 5 days, testing regularly. Did not leave until her test was negative; but is still very cautious, and wearing a mask.

Respiratory viruses are running amok, this time of year.

Please mask up, and take precautions.. If not vaccinated, then get vaccinated. It takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to reach full effect.

On another note: since it is really cold outside today, and we are getting a snowstorm on Sunday; I ran out to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for Minestrone soup.

I have not made that in a very long time--- hope I have not lost my touch...

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

15JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is continuing with HIS digestive problems.  HE has an appointment with his doctor coming up so I guess I'll have to go along just to be sure he's honest and forthright with them.  HE thinks it's best to say, "I'm doing fine." instead of admitting HE'S having a lot of problems with the foods he eats.  Personally, I think it's something to do with his gallbladder ~ but ~ I'm not a physician so my opinion doesn't count......

((    sigh    ))

So, HE is deciding what HE wants to eat and fixing it himself. I decided tonight I'm going to have soup & salad ~ I've had some French Onion Soup in the freezer for way too long and tonight is the night it's getting put out for my supper.  I've got my salad ready to be dressed so there's really not a lot to do.  I toasted up the last two slices of my lovely rye bread from a local deli to use as croutons on my soup.  

Funny, but I'm really looking forward to my meal tonight!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

16JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:51 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Well, I made the minestrone soup.. Not as good as I remember. "Something' is off, or missing.
I had 2 recipes for the soup. I cannot find the good one, but I did fine one which my comment was: Excellent.. Well, not today... sigh.. I put more updated, comments on this one.

It was a LOT of work. I am exhausted.  I think, from now on, I am going to cut the veggies the day before and not do as much as I did today.

Today, I put the rest of the Christmas decorations away, changed my sheets, vacuumed.. and then attempted the soup...

Geoffrey was a good boy, he stayed out of my way.. sweet baby..

I did take a few pictures; but somehow, it has not migrated over to the iPhoto on the laptop.. weird.
I see if I can post an updated pix of Geoffrey..

Jimmy, Tina, Maria: Feel better.

JANUARY, 2024 Img_1720

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

17JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My soup & salad was an excellent and filling supper. Having a quart of soup already made in the freezer so all I have to do is remember to take it out of the freezer and put into the refrigerator a couple days ahead is so convenient. My salad was a quick 'throw-together' of what I grabbed from the vegetable drawer.

JANUARY, 2024 01_05_17

cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

18JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had mushroom soup..... No Appetite. Still resting and trying to fight this RSV ....

bethk likes this post

19JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. My contribution to the tapas menu in my building today. Small round dish has dark rye bread wit cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers and dill. Larger platter has the same rye bread some with liverwurst, the outside pieces have chicken breast, mayo and chopped radish for crunch. Fun party."

JANUARY, 2024 10_05_15

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

20JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had mushroom soup.....  No Appetite. Still resting and trying to fight this RSV ....

I know I don't have to say this ~ you KNOW..... You have to remind yourself to eat and drink lots of liquids....even a beer would help but it probably would taste awful. Remember you can call and have lots of stuff delivered ~ order what sounds good and then you might just eat.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

21JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:54 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

My minnestrone pix:

JANUARY, 2024 Img_1723
JANUARY, 2024 Img_1721

JANUARY, 2024 Img_1722

My friend, who is recovering from Covid and is a semi-vegetarian, said it was really good.. I do not know.. I have plenty leftover..
Will be giving some to my cleaner, who comes in this morning..

Probably the end of my cooking for a bit.. although freezer is stocked. Cannot put anything else in there--- that is, unless I eat a pint of Trader Joe's peppermint stick ice cream... Very Happy

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

22JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight is our neighborhood Social Club Pot Luck & Meeting. Social Club supplies a 'main' (tonight will be Publix fried chicken) and everyone brings their beverage of choice and a dish to share. We are fortunate to have a recreation center with a large room to accommodate 40 or 50 people and it doesn't cost us anything.

I had originally planned to make a Betty Salad, a salad made famous by a lady in Toledo who had a restaurant called 'Soup & Such'.....it was very popular. But the more I thought about it the less I wanted to mess around with baby spinach, romaine, hard cooked eggs, bacon, bean sprouts & water chestnuts......it's a great salad but it's a lot of work, too.

So, I did a pivot and picked up 2 large cans of sauerkraut, a head of cabbage (that I shredded fine) and a large package of the Johnsonville Smoked Brats. Yesterday I cut up the cabbage, mixed it with the sauerkraut & grated in a couple apples to take out some of the 'bite' without making it taste like it was sweet. This morning I just had to spray the crock pot, layer in the sauerkraut mixture with the cut brats and turn it on.

Of course, my house smells like crazy!

But it'll air out by next week.....LOL

JANUARY, 2024 01_06_15

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

23JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Another stir fry with shrimp. Generally I like to add cream, but both of my containers were sour, so I added some marinara sauce I had. It was really good."

JANUARY, 2024 01_06_16

bethk and cookingirl like this post

24JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is cooking his own egg sandwich for his meal.

I had leftover Onion Soup for my lunch and I haven't a clue what I'll come up with for my supper. I can't bear the thought of any of the leftovers ~ UGH!

But, on a brighter note......I bought one of those refrigerated tubs of Toll House Cookie Dough. It tastes just like the cookie dough I would make IF I wanted to get out the stand mixer, cream the sugar & butter, add the rest of the ingredients, etc. Well, I don't want to do that. I just want the occasional freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.

So I portioned the dough on a parchment lined sheet pan and stuck it in the freezer. When it's frozen solid I can put the dough balls in a zip bag and store it in the freezer for whenever I want a few freshly baked cookies. And, yes, I could have made a batch but this way I'm ready to go and won't have to think about it for 6 months or longer.

JANUARY, 2024 01_07_17

25JANUARY, 2024 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yesterday, I Had to take a break from the soup. I was watching the rain, and then the snow fall..Made myself a really nice cup of tea, which I really enjoyed.. being all cozy in the comfort of my apartment, with Geoffrey on my lap..

I was not hungry, so I just had a nice, thick, turkey with muenster cheese sandwich on sourdough, with mayo and some mustard; warmed in microwave. No picture-- just a sandwich.

Today, will be the last, hopefully, of the soup. It will be wanted as I have to go outside, to scrap off the ice and snow from my car.. and clean up a bit around it.
When I return, it will be either a cup of hot chocolate-- non dairy; or another cup of tea.

Looking out at the ocean, watch the high tide, waves, hitting the snow line on the beach sand. We had over 3 inches. I think we really got more like 4 inches. It looks so peaceful and cold out there.
It will warm up, later this afternoon; with another huge rain storm, Tuesday night, into all day, Wednesday... not sure what food I will have... I have a ton in the freezer..

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum