Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY, 2024

+3
NormM
bethk
Imelda HL
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:46 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:

Then I get a CRAZY idea,..I decided to make a garlic babka. So this morning I got the dough ready, conjured up a filling and made the bobka which is in the oven now. So unbaked items are shown.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_0017

What a clever idea to make garlic babka....even though I can't make it because HE is terribly sensitive to garlic (and, quite honestly, so am I) but I'd love to see the baked loaf.  It looks amazing!

(And may be something my DD#1 would consider making when she's in a bread baking mood.)
JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_0018

bethk and cookingirl like this post

77JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been staring at a produce bag with a couple heads of broccoli crowns for the last week.  I bought it and then HE announced HE was back to eating eggs ~ so, no meals being prepared so the bag of broccoli just languished ~ looking really lonely!

Well, enough is enough ~ I pulled it out and chopped it up, diced an onion & a couple celery stalks....found about 1/4 package of minced ham in the freezer (such a convenient item to keep on hand) and a couple little potatoes that got peeled & chopped. I just started to saute everything in some oil & butter and then added about half a box of chicken broth from the pantry.  It took about 10 minutes to get tender.

Since I didn't eat any lunch I decided to have a bowl and probably skip having any later.  I served up about a cup & a half of the 'soup' and added a couple tablespoons of heavy cream, gave it a quick 30 seconds in the microwave just to be sure everything was hot after the addition of the cold cream.

And it was pretty darn good.  

Either that or I was just really hungry.........

It ain't pretty but it is quite tasty. There's no cream in the soup in the pot. That way I can freeze it if I have to and just add the cream at serving.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_21_13

78JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Ocean perch, lentil salad and just a tomato. Perch was a little undercooked, but almost burned, was ok but I’ve done better."

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_21_14

bethk likes this post

79JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:46 am

JanaAZ

I like to shake things up a little and get tired of the same old stuff.  This time I made bun cha. I’ve made it before but it’s different from my everyday meals. It has rice noodles, lettuce, cucumbers cilantro, mint and pork “balls”.  There’s a dressing to pour over which has fish sauce, lime, Chile’s and other stuff in it. I’m so happy I found vegan fish sauce or I wouldn’t be  able to eat this.

I tried to make I so there was only one mea but he was happy there was enough for a second meal.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_9415

bethk likes this post

80JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I like to shake things up a little and get tired of the same old stuff.  This time I made bun cha. I’ve made it before but it’s different from my everyday meals. It has rice noodles, lettuce, cucumbers cilantro, mint and pork “balls”.  There’s a dressing to pour over which has fish sauce, lime, Chile’s and other stuff in it. I’m so happy I found vegan fish sauce or I wouldn’t be  able to eat this.

I tried to make I so there was only one mea but he was happy there was enough for a second meal.

That meal looks delicious.....and, of course, I had to google 'bun cha' to check it out. I've had something similar when I was out but have never attempted to make it at home. Nice job!

81JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to use up all the stir fry vegetables I had in the refrigerator for my supper tonight.  If HE decides to join me for supper I'm sure there will be plenty ~ there always is.  And, funny, but a stir fry with lots of vegetables is something I will usually reheat for a lunch of leftovers.

So, I've got everything ready to cook ~ I thinly sliced up a thawed chicken cutlet and added some marinade to it.  The marinade was another 'use-up-what's-here' sauce ~ Based with oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, some Japanese BBQ Sauce I had that I really didn't care for alone but was fine as an addition to a marinade, chili oil, sesame oil, fresh ginger & some sugar.

The vegetables are the usual.....bok choy stems & leaves, onion, carrot, celery & pea pods.

I like getting everything prepped so all I have to do is throw it together and it's done in about 15 minutes ~ oh, and I'll make some rice in the microwave.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_22_22

82JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken Stir Fry came out really tasty.....

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_22_23

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_22_24

83JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:43 pm

NormM

NormM

This recipe was included in a Kansas City Star article ( Jan 21, 2024) about a cookie found in a 1300 year old tomb in China.

The headline of the article was
“This simple 1300-year-old ancient tomb cookie recipe blew me away”  
A quote from the article said:

“ After seeing a picture online of the cookies, Nadeem Ahmad, the founder of Eran ud Turan, a living history group based in the United Kingdom, took it upon himself to reverse-engineer the ancient dessert for the modern-day cookie lover.  Ahmad says he decided on grapes and apricot jam since the Turpan basin is still famed for its grapes and apricots hail from Central          Asia and China.”

A picture of the ingredients shows the flour to be White Lily which is a low gluten flour. I substituted cake flour.

I read once, quite a while ago, that wheat is grown in the northern part of China.  Google tells me that Turpan is in a region where winter and spring wheat is grown.
JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_1410

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

84JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Interesting, Norm.

Did you use a chopstick to score them?  Just curious as it seems the most obvious choice.

Looks like a sort of Thumbprint Sugar Cookie.

My friend, Song, is from China from a region that wheat is used more than rice ~ noodles are her favorite meal staple as opposed to rice.  Her husband, Deng, prefers rice with every meal as that's how he grew up having rice with everything.

85JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:22 pm

NormM

NormM

I used a fork to make the indentations. They spread wider in the oven. I don't make or eat cookies very often but to me these were like a sugar cookie.

bethk and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

86JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. It’s been years since I last made actual meat balls and sauce. Used some egg noodles instead of spaghetti. And I baked some rye bread. Pretty good."

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_22_25

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_22_26

bethk likes this post

87JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE decided to finally have something other than eggs.....so it was a lightly sauteed chicken cutlet with just a bit of s&p and some steamed cauliflower, something HE'S been eating regularly and doesn't seem to bother HIM.

I ended up reheating the chicken stir fry ~ happy I chose to use a large amount of vegetables that were still just a bit 'tender-crisp' with the reheat.

88JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a 'Get-Out-of-Dodge' day.....two neighbors went with me to go 'shopping' at Donut King donut shop ~ must have 75 varieties of donuts, all made there. I just got one Apple Fritter ~ the size of a dinner plate! It should be good for 4 - 6 servings. I'll cut & freeze and then wrap the pieces to thaw when I get a hankering for something sweet with my morning coffee.

We also went to Ollie's Bargain Outlet ~ "Good Stuff Cheap" is the advertising on their sign. LOL You never know what you're going to find in there.

We also went to Big Lots ~ same concept only smaller.

Then we went out to lunch at The Olde Time Diner. Everyone had a good time.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_25_18

cookingirl likes this post

89JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had scrambled eggs & toast..........

I offered him some of my Kale Salad with chicken, toasted walnuts & dried cherries.

Funny, but HE just gave me 'a look' and simply said, "No thank you...." (I think HE thought I was trying to kill HIM with KALE! LOL)

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_25_19

90JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:30 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Not cooking much this week.. It has been emotional.. An awesome, ADVOCATE for everyone in the building was run over and killed, this past Friday... Pattie was not an employee of the building. She was private-- dealing with people with cognitive issues; however, she helped so many people in here. She was 'there' for everyone-- fought administration for what she felt and believed was 'wrong'.. She have her own private pay agency; but, she was there for ALL of us..
Pattie was an Angel in disguise; She touched so many lives.. No medical background; but she somehow, found out and discovered things-- things that many doctors have no thoughts of.. she researched medications, she sought out advice/thoughts of many medical professionals.. Was not afraid of criticism--- she got a ton from administration; never thought of it.. was a real advocate for all.. She made friends and even advised me on things..and not a client.. She sat up weekly medicine for a non-client; all form the good news of her heart. Pattie was a go getter.. an amazing person..
One client: Auntie was a client of hers. Pattie loved her.. Pattie said every week-end with Auntie! overnight and during the days.. So dedicated. She did this from her heart..

The building has been in mourning since Friday afternoon.. Pattie was hit and killed by a driver, Backing down our side street-- and speeding. Pattie was crossing the street-- was in the middle of the street, when this woman decided to put her car in reverse and speed down the street, hitting Pattie and putting Pattie under her car. Ambulance took 10 minutes to get here.. Local Police were here first.. they tried CPR, immediately-- to no avail.. EMT's took over.. she was gone.. WE heard the news before her family were notified...

We have been in shock; since then.. a small, unofficial remembrance was held, in my building, Monday...

This afternoon was an official remembrance at the funeral home. Myself, and a couple of friends attended it. We needed to go. Pattie was a remarkable person. She was Jewish., but married a catholic.. Even our Pastor, from the local church attended the services-- unobtrusively ---

Such a shame.. a Waste of life.. Pattie touched so many in here.. a true Angel, sent from God...

Sorry if I am mauling-- but, I have not been cooking due to all of this...

bethk likes this post

91JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So sorry for you and your community.....it's never easy.

My thoughts & prayers include you and your fellow residents. Loss is always so difficult but you are right to remember all the good she brought to all of you.

92JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:35 pm

JanaAZ

I’m trying to use up a lot of stuff in the fridge and freezer. I had a crescent roll sheet along with some pulled pork and some coleslaw cabbage I needed to use soon. So I BBQd thr pork, turned the cabbage into a quick coleslaw and make cups out of the crescent roll sheets. They were bbqd pulled pork cups topped with coleslaw. They were pretty good and helped me use a bunch of stuff that had to go.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_0019

93JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:38 am

Cookin Lore

cookingirl wrote:Not cooking much this week.. It has been emotional.. An awesome, ADVOCATE for everyone in the building was run over and killed, this past Friday... Pattie was not an employee of the building. She was private-- dealing with people with cognitive issues; however, she helped so many people in here. She was 'there' for everyone-- fought administration for what she felt and believed was 'wrong'.. She have her own private pay agency; but, she was there for ALL of us..
Pattie was an Angel in disguise; She touched so many lives.. No medical background; but she somehow, found out and discovered things-- things that many doctors have no thoughts of.. she researched medications, she sought out advice/thoughts of many medical professionals.. Was not afraid of criticism--- she got a ton from administration; never thought of it.. was a real advocate for all.. She made friends and even advised me on things..and not a client.. She sat up weekly medicine for a non-client; all form the good news of her heart. Pattie was a go getter.. an amazing person..
One client:  Auntie was a client of hers. Pattie loved her.. Pattie said every week-end with Auntie! overnight and during the days.. So dedicated. She did this from her heart..

The building has been in mourning since Friday afternoon.. Pattie was hit and killed by a driver, Backing down our side street-- and speeding. Pattie was crossing the street-- was in the middle of the street, when this woman decided to put her car in reverse and speed down the street, hitting Pattie and putting Pattie under her car. Ambulance took 10 minutes to get here.. Local Police were here first.. they tried CPR, immediately-- to no avail.. EMT's took over.. she was gone.. WE heard the news before her family were notified...

We have been in shock; since then.. a small, unofficial remembrance was held, in my building, Monday...

This afternoon was an official remembrance at the funeral home. Myself, and a couple of friends attended it. We needed to go. Pattie was a remarkable person. She was Jewish., but married a catholic.. Even our Pastor, from the local church attended the services-- unobtrusively ---

Such a shame.. a Waste of life.. Pattie touched so many in here.. a true Angel, sent from God...

Sorry if I am mauling-- but, I have not been cooking due to all of this...

I'm so sorry to read of your loss, and the loss to all that she obviously touched. I do believe that there truly are angels living among us. Not mythical creatures in white robes, but humans who take on the task.

94JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:35 pm

JanaAZ

Still using up leftovers. I had leftover onion soup so I used the liquid to make gravy. Today we had crunchy chicken breasts over polenta (my favorite). The onion gravy was perfect for this mJANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_0020

95JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:47 am

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:Still using up leftovers. I had leftover onion soup so I used the liquid to make gravy. Today we had crunchy chicken breasts over polenta (my favorite). The onion gravy was perfect for this mJANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_0020

I'm not a big fan of leftovers, so I generally try to make just enough for one meal. Unfortunately, I haven't been very successful at that, and tend to end up eating too much! LOL. Using the onion soup to make gravy sounds delish! And it looks great in the picture.

bethk and NormM like this post

96JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm so sick of NOT cooking real meals. HE is still pushing the eggs.....I can't wait to attend his next medical appointment WITH HIM ~ but it's not until 3 weeks from now.

(( sigh ))

And 'NOT' cooking is still my mode ~ hot dogs and macaroni salad.

Unless, of course, you consider boiling macaroni and eggs as 'cooking'..........

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_28_17

97JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:37 pm

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I'm so sick of NOT cooking real meals.  HE is still pushing the eggs.....I can't wait to attend his next medical appointment WITH HIM ~ but it's not until 3 weeks from now.

((  sigh  ))

And 'NOT' cooking is still my mode ~ hot dogs and macaroni salad.

Unless, of course, you consider boiling macaroni and eggs as 'cooking'..........

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 01_28_17

I think lots of people would think macaroni and eggs is "cooking". I haven't made a decent meal either the last two days. Tomorrow is another day!

bethk likes this post

98JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:41 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yes, boiling eggs and pasta are considered 'cooking'... at least to me!  Ha.... it consists of a pot on a stove, so it is technically cooking!!!

Still not cooking. Saturday, I was going to Trader Joes to pick up a few things. A friend was making tortellini soup, and bought the wrong tortellini. I said I would pick up a pack of spinach ones for her. While I was looking at the fresh pasta, I decided that I have not had tortellini for a long time.. so I picked up a package of cheese tortellini, and a jar of TJ's Vodka sauce--- as something different. I was going to 'Cook' that yesterday.

Well, as I was cleaning the bathroom, Donna rang my bell. She gave me a container of a type of Greek Salad, some tortellini soup and a piece of brownie that she had baked... WOW... Supper last night and lunch today...

I still have my tortellini.. will probably make it sometime this week.

So nice to have good friends. She passes out oatmeal cookies when she bakes, and I gave her a large container of minestrone soup when she was sick..

Now, to find something to reciprocate-- she is a vegetarian.. so recipes are non-existence to me.

bethk likes this post

99JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Going out tonight. I'm not at all sure what HE thinks he'll eat....but maybe it's my cooking that bothers his gut so much.

At least I don't have to worry about it or make a plan of any sort. So I'm good.

100JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:49 pm

JanaAZ

I’ve got some Chicago friends coming for dinner tomorrow. Since I’ll be out for much of the day I thought I’d make some deep dish today and then bake them tomorrow.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 4 Img_9416

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum