Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY, 2024

+3
NormM
bethk
Imelda HL
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:40 pm

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:
bethk wrote:And now Crescent markets their 'sheet' pastry dough ~ crescent roll dough without the perforations that have to be smushed together.

I use it for my Krafty Crescent Lasagna.....just made it the end of December (and halved the recipe ~ in the casserole/main dish section)

That’s what I used. I bought 3 cans since I was going to make a pinwheel appetizer with it. Unfortunately I had the flu and am now stuck with several cans. One down…2 to go

Crafty Crescent lasagna? What is that?

I made some lasagna rollups using GF rice noodles yesterday. Forgot to take a picture. DIL is gluten sensitive, and she likes lasagna, so I made some using the rice noodles. Roll ups are just laying the cooked noodles down, then putting a layer of your meat/tomato mix on them, topped with a layer of the cheese mix, then rolling it up. Doing the lasagna as a roll makes it so much easier to serve, as it doesn't have to be cut and the rolls can be frozen a couple at a time. Took them to son's house, son and DIL loved them. I thought the noodles were mushy, they said they were fine, and they'd love to have them again.

So, I guess I'm on a "roll" ha ha! and have a stuffed pork tenderloin (rolled) in my oven for tonight. And probably for tomorrow also!
We are in the first deep freeze of the year. Lots of snow in western NY this past weekend, but it stopped at the bridges from Buffalo into Canada. Not a flake where I live, but the temp today is -13 C, apparently 8 Fahrenheit. Whatever, it's cold!

bethk and cookingirl like this post

52JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I’ve been incredibly busy the last few days. Someone said they made a bolognese casserole and I mentioned it to Steve. As he started to drool. I thought it might be something nice to make.

I also wanted to send dinner to my friend with the 1000 kids.  So..day 1 shop for ingredients, day 2 make bolognese sauce, day 3 make béchamel, noodles and build their casserole. I didn’t think a bunch of littles would like bolognese so I added sauce to theirs and the one I made for us is just bolognese. Everything is waiting to be baked now.

Then I get a CRAZY idea,..I decided to make a garlic babka. So this morning I got the dough ready, conjured up a filling and made the bobka which is in the oven now. So unbaked items are shown. I have the kiddo version that has sauce and bolognese along with béchamel and one for us which doesn’t have spaghetti sauce in it. They’re both topped with a boatload of cheese

I only had 2 children but I would have LOVED for someone to send food for them.....instead, I cooked most nights (and heard complaints 10% of the time....).

53JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is still cooking his own supper.....I think HE likes doing it.

I picked up a rotisserie chicken today and made myself a big batch of chicken salad.  Actually, it's kind of nice to fix what I like and not have to take in any other consideration....

Wednesday I'm driving 2 hours to Tarpon Springs (the Greek town) to meet 3 school friends for lunch.  It's always fun to get caught up with friends I've known since we were in 3rd grade.

Thursday HE and I will be going out to eat ~ gotta celebrate our 55th anniversary.

Geesh!  That's a REALLY long time!

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_15_18

cookingirl likes this post

54JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:18 pm

Cookin Lore

55! You're lucky. We only made it to 51. Got married in '62, so this year it should be 62 years! Yes, I am that old! (But I got married young!)

bethk likes this post

55JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:
bethk wrote:And now Crescent markets their 'sheet' pastry dough ~ crescent roll dough without the perforations that have to be smushed together.

I use it for my Krafty Crescent Lasagna.....just made it the end of December (and halved the recipe ~ in the casserole/main dish section)

That’s what I used. I bought 3 cans since I was going to make a pinwheel appetizer with it. Unfortunately I had the flu and am now stuck with several cans. One down…2 to go

Crafty Crescent lasagna?  What is that?  

If you go back to Dec. 27, 2023 posts you will see my Krafty Crescent Lasagna.  I cut the recipe in half that's listed in Casseroles & Main Dishes and used only one full sheet of the Crescent 'sheet' pastry dough in the tube.  It still makes enough for 6 servings.  I only used 1/2 lb. of ground beef (no sausage) and I probably added more mozzarella cheese slices to the bottom & top of the filling....sometimes I fail to mention that.

It's awful the freezing temperatures are affecting so many people. I can't complain about our temperatures right now at all.

56JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:

Then I get a CRAZY idea,..I decided to make a garlic babka. So this morning I got the dough ready, conjured up a filling and made the bobka which is in the oven now. So unbaked items are shown.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Img_0017

What a clever idea to make garlic babka....even though I can't make it because HE is terribly sensitive to garlic (and, quite honestly, so am I) but I'd love to see the baked loaf.  It looks amazing!

(And may be something my DD#1 would consider making when she's in a bread baking mood.)

57JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Pork tenderloin stuffed with sautéed mushrooms, onion, yellow pepper, breadcrumbs and chicken broth. Hasselback potato, yellow heirloom tomato with parsley and feta."

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_15_19

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_15_20

58JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:13 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, Happy Anniversary!! Enjoy your dinner!

Tummy issues yesterday..so it was just rice for supper. Not like "Him", but still not good. Still not feeling 100% today. I did not go down for cornhole this morning.

Do not know what to have for supper--- either bread and butter or perhaps my stovetop potato and egg frittata.

Still have not made my soup! I hope the Swiss chard is still ok, tomorrow.. I have it completely wrapped in the produce plastic bags.. one for the top leaves and one for the bottom stems.. all intact.

It is absolutely freezing here. 25 degrees with gusts of windchill about 19 degrees. Tonight it will feel like 3 degrees.
Just staying indoors, with Geoffrey cuddling with me.. no housework today.. just a quick swiffer of the litter.
I do have to remotely try to start my car.

Yesterday, as I was not feeling well, cuddling with Geoffrey on top of the bed; I had to get up to clean off my car and the surrounding area. The 3 inches of snow was mixing with rain. By the time I got out, it was raining... so everything has frozen solid.
It is going to be this week until next week. I think Saturday night may be down to 3 degrees.. ugh...

Any news on Jimmy & Tina?

bethk likes this post

59JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't miss the freezing temperatures one bit.

It was lovely yesterday and then a cold front blew in overnight ~ got up and it was way chillier than we like. But it's nothing like you all up north are experiencing.....but being a transplanted Southerner I feel obligated to whine about it anyway.

Ms. Tina is still making the occasional FB post so I'm not going to worry about them. I do hope they are all feeling better and are just hunkered down in this miserable weather.

Had supper with former neighbor, Jeanie & her husband, Larry, last night. I wasn't sure what I was going to fix and suddenly she called and suggested a dinner out. It would of been rude of me to refuse! It was an absolutely lovely evening with very nice friends!

Tonight HE'S back on his eggs.....I just looked in the refrigerator and I guess I'll heat some leftovers........ (( sigh ))

I put the rotisserie chicken carcass on the stove covered with water with onion, carrot & celery at about 9:00 this morning. Just letting it simmer for hours because I need to replenish my freezer supply of bone broth. I never know when another neighbor might need a batch to combat the 'illness du jour' that always seems to be lurking around the corner.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

60JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers......

UGH !!!

Actually, I think it's mostly the protein I don't like in leftovers. I don't seem to mind the leftover vegetables. Maybe I'm a 'closet' vegetarian........

Hmmmmmm...........

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_17_24

61JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:49 pm

NormM

NormM

For dinner tonight, we shared a Cornish hen in sauce made with orange juice, soy sauce and sesame oil. With rice and a salad.JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Img_1320

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

62JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I don't miss the freezing temperatures one bit.

It was lovely yesterday and then a cold front blew in overnight ~ got up and it was way chillier than we like.  But it's nothing like you all up north are experiencing.....but being a transplanted Southerner I feel obligated to whine about it anyway.

Ms. Tina is still making the occasional FB post so I'm not going to worry about them.  I do hope they are all feeling better and are just hunkered down in this miserable weather.

Had supper with former neighbor, Jeanie & her husband, Larry, last night.  I wasn't sure what I was going to fix and suddenly she called and suggested a dinner out.  It would of been rude of me to refuse!  It was an absolutely lovely evening with very nice friends!

Tonight HE'S back on his eggs.....I just looked in the refrigerator and I guess I'll heat some leftovers........  ((   sigh   ))

I put the rotisserie chicken carcass on the stove covered with water with onion, carrot & celery at about 9:00 this morning.  Just letting it simmer for hours because I need to replenish my freezer supply of bone broth.  I never know when another neighbor might need a batch to combat the 'illness du jour' that always seems to be lurking around the corner.

Jimmy is on the mend. Tina is  doing a lot better, but now she has back pain....She was amazed I got new bunches of pills. I must say, they do work. Thanks to her, she puts them in order to help me take the right dose ....  Ugh! She was in the recliner all afternoon. Dr. said rest rest rest.... Thanks for the concern Beth and Cindy, and Happy Anniversary Beth and Dane.

63JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:48 am

Cookin Lore

Guess we should be neighbours. I'll give you my left over veggies, and I'll take the protein. Love freshly done veggies, do not like them leftover. But, of course I do eat them. I have bought some frozen vegetables because people told me that they are "just like fresh". Bah, humbug! They are not. By the time they are heated, they are more mushy than I like. BUT, they are much more economical, so I think I should get used to eating them. And, They don't spoil in the freezer like my fresh ones do in the fridge if I don't use them in time.

Not in much of a cooking mood the last couple of days. Busy with my volunteering, today haircut then music lesson. So, I think Ill just get some chicken out for the oven. Also gotta think of something for tapas tomorrow afternoon.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

64JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:30 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Today, I finally made Alton Brown’s  “Christmas Soup.  Kielbasa, garlic, chicken broth, red kidney beans, and kale.  I used red Swiss chard instead of kale.  At the end, red wine vinegar added as a “kick”.  

It was good.  But used too large a pot, and did not put enough oil in pot when browning kielbasa slices.  Not burnt, but a “well done” flavor to it.  

It is a different soup.  I am on a soup kick and need to find some more recipes.   I have some, but I do have some diet restrictions.  

Jimmy, glad to see you are back and feeling better.  And Tina, too.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

65JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:59 pm

NormM

NormM

I got a large pork shoulder with making carnitas in mind but Charlie wanted it cut up for spicy pork bulgogi so that is what I did. I don't know why it turned out so dark. It should have been red but it wasn't burnt. It tasted like it was supposed to taste.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Img_1321
JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Img_1322

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

66JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a lovely dinner at our favorite steak house ~ we've never had a meal we didn't like there and the service is very good.

We started with an Espresso Martini and a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc for HIM.

HE chose the night's special, Grilled Corvina (mild white fish) with a Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce and I had my usual small filet, done perfectly medium rare, with Bearnaise Sauce.

And a complimentary Oatmeal Cookie A'la Mode for dessert.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_18_32

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_18_33

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_18_34

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 01_18_35

cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

67JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

He said he was having eggs......again..........

So when Lyn called and asked what I was doing for supper I said I'd pick her up.

We went out to Square 1 Burgers....she had a burger & I had a fish sandwich. Both of us are full.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

68JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Today, I finally made Alton Brown’s  “Christmas Soup.  Kielbasa, garlic, chicken broth, red kidney beans, and kale.  I used red Swiss chard instead of kale.  At the end, red wine vinegar added as a “kick”.  

It was good.  But used too large a pot, and did not put enough oil in pot when browning kielbasa slices.  Not burnt, but a “well done” flavor to it.  

It is a different soup.  I am on a soup kick and need to find some more recipes.   I have some, but I do have some diet restrictions.  

Jimmy, glad to see you are back and feeling better.  And Tina, too.

Thanks Cindy. Just holding our own. No cooking today; just nibbling sort of.

69JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'Ladies' Lunch'.....so I won't be hungry any time soon.

HE is still cooking HIS own eggs.

I've threatened to call and make an appointment with one of HIS doctors and he strongly suggested I not.....

MEN !!!

70JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:45 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy-- good to see you posting.. Keep on munching along...

Beth, again, Happy Anniversary

Norm, you always have beautifully looking and tasting meals!

Niagara, the pork tenderloin, looks really good...

Me, just the same--- leftovers.. somehow soup always tastes better as leftovers.. Yes, it is more like a stew, but, if I want, I can add more chicken broth to it, and simmer for a bit.

Today would be the last of the soup.. Not freezing it, as I do not have any room in my freezer.  Not sure if I will have this today. I could have a stovetop frittata-- if potatoes are ok; or a small chicken pie, which is in my freezer.

I was going to go to early Mass, pick up just a few things at the grocery store... guess not....

It is 15 degrees outside, wind chill 2 degrees. Went remote start my car--- nope.. It had a difficult time yesterday, but it eventually turned over-- around noontime. I tried it again, later in the afternoon-- it started after 2 remote tries.. Started it last night around 9pm-- started remotely..

This morning, at 6AM, I tried to remote start it. NOPE>>> would not turn over.. had to run out in my pjs, bathrobe, winter jacket, hat, ankle boots, and heavy gloves. It would not, for the life of me, turn over. I do not know if I somehow messed up the remote start, or it is dead. Not completely dead... There is enough residual battery to headlights, dashboard. All the lights on the dashboard are on, when I try to start, but the car will just not turn over.. dam...

My choices:  wait a bit, try it again .. Call AAA-- will take hours in this weather to come out-- and what good will it do? The garage is closed today. The Firestone Place will be mobbed.
I can wait until tomorrow, try again....

I think one of the maintenance guys in here has a handy handheld starter. I could ask him for help.. Or Call AAA, if he does not. I can then go down to the Garage for service.. Drop it off..
May have to ask a friend to pick me up, if they cannot take me home, or call an Uber..

I knew, I should have gone in a couple weeks ago for an oil change and such... dam...I think the battery is only 2-3 years old..  hope the alternator is ok.. and the anti-freeze did not freeze.. and the oil.... dam... cars...

I really need a new car.. this one is getting to be a bottomless money pit..

bethk and NormM like this post

71JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:46 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Today was 'Ladies' Lunch'.....so I won't be hungry any time soon.

HE is still cooking HIS own eggs.

I've threatened to call and make an appointment with one of HIS doctors and he strongly suggested I not.....

MEN !!!

I understand! Many years ago, my hubby was sick. Really, really sick, high fever, shaking like the can of paint in the hardware store when it's being shaken to mix the paint. Refused to go to the doctor. One night, as he was shaking under a pile of blankets, I got up and said "I'm going upstairs to another room to sleep, 'cause I don't want to be in the bed when you die" A couple of hours later, he came up and asked me to drive him to the emergency. He had double pneumonia, was sick for a good two weeks.

bethk likes this post

72JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:39 pm

Cookin Lore

Wow!  I had a very nice compliment just now.  Little back story.  My lovely DIL, has been married to my son for 33 years.  She has gluten issues, and is quite picky.  But, she's great, and I lover her, quirks and all! a couple of weeks ago I made gluten free lasagna rollups for them, using mostly Mozzarella which she likes, but was running low, so I added some cottage cheese (which I found out she doesn't like) She found the cottage. Son Danny apparently didn't believe her that there was cottage cheese in it.  He doesn't care.   She said that it wasn't a problem, she could pick it out.  So, I said that I thought she only dislikes ricotta, but I wouldn't use it again..................... Now to the compliment part. LOL
Other son Michael was just here for a very short visit, I had another container of the lasagna rollups in the freezer so I gave them to him. He and Amy eat anything I make.  He had been at Danny and Lisa's overnight, said that Lisa told him that the lasagna was the best she'd ever had, but she had to tell me about the cottage cheese, because if she didn't I would keep making it that way.  And she hoped that I wasn't upset that she told me.  You'd think, that after knowing me for over 33 years, she'd have realized that I don't get upset easily. I thought the rice noodles were mushy, she said they were great. So, I now have a good reason to make it again. I love lasagna!  YUMMY!

73JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:31 pm

NormM

NormM

My car wouldn't start in the cold either. I ordered a jummp starter that also will charge phones, tablets and any other USB devises. I had a dr. appt. on Wed. and it was supposed to get here on Tue. Tue. morning I got an email that it would be a day late but it still got here on time and I made it to the Dr. I also had to get an air pump because I was getting a warning about my tire pressure. Probably cold weather associated with that too.

Now yesterday the ice maker stopped working so today I am going to clean out my freezer so i can put a bag of ice in it until I can call someone to fix it. The auxiliary refrigerator in the garage stopped freezing ice to. With the kind of weather we are having I could probably just put ice trays out on the back porch. I bet that is one sure way to get a spell of warmer weather though.

74JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
Now yesterday the ice maker stopped working so today I am going to clean out my freezer so i can put a bag of ice in it until I can call someone to fix it.  The auxiliary refrigerator in the garage stopped freezing ice to.  With the kind of weather we are having I could probably just put ice trays out on the back porch.  I bet that is one sure way to get a spell of warmer weather though.

Norm, have you tried to go to YouTube.com and putting the make/model & problem into the search bar?

That's how we found how to reset/fix our LG in-the-door icemaker. Sure was less expensive than a service call (HE tried to charge me a $100 service call fee but I told him to just put it on my tab......LOL).

75JANUARY, 2024 - Page 3 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:59 pm

NormM

NormM

Previously I replied that I had not looked at YouTube, but I guess I forgot to send it. I have looked at the video on YouTube and it was VERY informative but when I went back to the refrigerator to check it out, the ice maker had started making ice on it own. If it stops again, I'll know what to check out now thank to you. Thanks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum