Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY, 2024

+3
NormM
bethk
Imelda HL
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's a cold (for Florida) and rainy day. Not snow but miserable to be outside all the same.

So, I pulled a quart of chili out of the freezer and that'll be my supper. It was a toss up between the chili and the Sausage & Kale Soup ~ the chili was closest to the door so it won out.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

27JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:34 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Any word from Jimmy??

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

28JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Any word from Jimmy??

Not since Friday.....I figure they're all just trying to take care of one another.

Tina is still posting on FB

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

29JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:53 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

@Beth, I hope they are feeling better.. at least getting the care and rest that they need.

Tonight, supper may just be a cold cut sandwich of sliced turkey and muenster cheese, with mayo, on sourdough.

It is warm out, 35 degrees, but feels warmer.. should go up to 39 degrees. Tonight and tomorrow is a big rain storm. So, in all day tomorrow...

Having another Covid Test clinic today. Covid has been out of control in this place...sigh

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

30JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE'S still cooking whatever HE wants to eat. I'm so sick of HIM feeling sick.....I know, I should be kinder ~ but he just went to the doc a few weeks ago and when asked, "How are you feeling?".....HE replied, "Just fine..." HE thinks it shows how tough he is or something....I don't know.....maybe just male ego.

I thawed out some Sausage & Kale Soup ~ after I heated it I added a couple tablespoons of heavy cream. It tastes like I just made it.

So now I have half a container of chili & half a container of Sausage & Kale soup in the refrigerator. Since I just had both I now consider them 'leftovers' and I DON'T LIKE LEFTOVERS!!!

But I'll probably heat them and have them for lunch at some point before they start to grow blue & pink ick...........

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 01_09_17

cookingirl likes this post

31JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:36 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here I am.... Tina is feeling a skosh better. It's heck to shake this one. She is forcing herself and is running Things. She goes an hour, then rests an hour. DD helps a lot. She had to go to the Dr. to get a second set of meds As for me, it threw my diabetes out of whack, and my heart.
rate. We are eating OK, but no taste, and no appetites. Thanks for the concern Friends.
It is raining here now, but not affected with power outages. We are too far inland for the severity and winds being north and west, and being in the valley, and close to the PA border.
We only got 4 inches of snow, and DD shoveled . Snow blower could not cut it,because it was a wet heavy snow. Usually kids are coming around asking if we want the walks cleaned. NOT any more.
PS: I never thought I would eat so much chicken soup. LOL. No No

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

32JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good to hear from you, Jimmy!

It sounds like you all are doing the best you can and resting when needed. It should be getting better soon. You're still in our prayers.

33JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is still eating whatever is agreeable to his system.....

I couldn't face leftovers so I picked up a Chic-Fil-A sandwich and had that for my supper.

Going out for lunch tomorrow so I probably won't feel the need for much more than an apple for supper.

34JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:41 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

It is so good to hear from Jimmy!! Glad Tina is a tiny bit improved.. Jimmy, you HAVE to improve..
Yeah, I heard that RSV is nothing to play around with; especially with seniors.. and ones with underlying conditions-- well, it can be deadly..

Just keep resting and drinking fluids.. Eat when you feel you are able to handle it.. Broth is good. Bone broth is especially good for nutrients.

As for me: crazy day... not hungry, so just had some sourdough bread with veggie butter.

bethk likes this post

35JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:17 pm

JanaAZ

It was a cold and slightly snowy day today so no going out on mountain roads unless I want to go over a Cliff.  So today I cooked and finally took photos. I baked some bread to make croutons and then made French onion soup. Perfect for a cold damp day.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_0010

bethk likes this post

36JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:It was a cold and slightly snowy day today so no going out on mountain roads unless I want to go over a Cliff.  So today I cooked and finally took photos. I baked some bread to make croutons and then made French onion soup. Perfect for a cold damp day.

I have soup in the freezer.....I'd like a quart container of homemade croutons, please!

37JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I considered going out to pick up something for my supper but then didn't feel like going out. So, Breakfast for Supper.....

I made blueberry pancakes and a fried egg.

Actually it was pretty good for a change of pace.

(didn't think to take a picture.....)

38JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:43 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Today was another torrential rain storm. Not as bad as on Monday, but... the waves did go over the seawall, with much flooding.
Now, the temps will be dropping dramatically--- Winter will arrive.. blah! Another storm on Tuesday into Wednesday with another one a few days later. Most likely this will be the bad
4-letter word: Snow... yikes!

Did some stuff around the house-- since it was raining and warm, it was a lazy day for me.. Cuddled with Geoffrey a lot..

Ran out to church; could have picked up something for supper, but I am not all that hungry.
Just had some cheese and crackers.. and a couple pieces of Dove Chocolate.

Thinking of making more soup this week. We will see if that feeling continues. Will have to pick up some fresh veggies for it, either tomorrow or Monday.

bethk likes this post

39JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a neighborhood brunch today ~ one good sized meal a day is all we really want.

I did go raid the refrigerator of some celery & carrot sticks just because I was craving something 'crunchy' ~ and it was better than potato chips for me.

(( Don't think I'm all THAT good ~ there are NO potato chips in the pantry.....LOL ))

40JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:52 pm

JanaAZ

On this chilly day, Steve asked for some comfort food. When we were first married I used to make cheesy beef pie. I ran across the recipe about a year or two ago so when he wants comfort food…that’s one of the things he asks for. After he has a meal or two, I cut it in pieces and freeze it so he can just heat it up again when he wants it.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_0012

bethk and cookingirl like this post

41JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:38 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jana, that looks so good.

Guessing it is ground beef, onion, garlic, chopped tomato, topped with a grated cheese mix? Spices as you wish added into beef while sautéing ?  Looks easy. My style— easy comfort food.

Is there a crust? I am Not good with them. Do not have a rolling pin. Got rid of it when I moved. There are so many things I wish I had kept. But I have no storage space in my teeny tiny apartment

In other words: any recipe? Or was it just thrown together as you went on.

bethk likes this post

42JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Jana, that looks so good.

Is there a crust?   I am Not good with them. Do not have a rolling pin.  Got rid of it when I moved. There are so many things I wish I had kept. But I have no storage space in my teeny tiny apartment  

Cyn ~ just in case you want a crust for something I've resorted to the Pillsbury Pie Crust(s) ~ red box in the refrigerated section.  It's not bad at all.  And although I do make 'real' pie crusts on occasion, I have used the Pillsbury brand a number of times with good results.  

IF you need to thin them a bit you can always use a clean wine bottle to roll over them.  Has worked for me a number of times!

(Actually, from staring at Judy's picture, it reminds me of the old Bisquick 'Magic' Pie.....You could probably find a recipe for it on the Taste of Home site....

But I'm sure Judy will share her recipe.

Last edited by bethk on Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

43JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm tired of no food.

The rest of a head of bok choy has been staring at me every time I open the vegetable drawer (snugly wrapped in plastic & in a produce bag to prevent moisture/drying out). That was the ingredient that determined what to make.

I decided to make some Asian braised pork with stir fried bok choy.

HE can choose to join me this evening or do HIS thing ~ his choice.

I'll make a small amount of rice in the microwave to soak up some of the juices.

44JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:13 pm

JanaAZ

Guessing it is ground beef, onion, garlic, chopped tomato, topped with a grated cheese mix? Spices as you wish added into beef while sautéing ?  Looks easy. My style— easy comfort food.

Is there a crust?   I am Not good with them. Do not have a rolling pin.  Got rid of it when I moved. There are so many things I wish I had kept. But I have no storage space in my teeny tiny apartment  

Yes, there is a crust and a recipe. The crust is crescent dough so very easy peasy

Cheesy Beef Pie

Servings: 6-8

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. green pepper, chopped
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can mushrooms
1 can (8 oz.) crescent rolls
1/4 tsp. salt and garlic salt
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese

STEPS

1) Brown meat, onions and pepper; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms and seasonings. Separate rolls and press triangles into 9 inch pie pan. Combine egg with 1 cup cheese. Spread over crust. Add meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. (Mine baked about 30 minutes and thr cheese was bubbly)

45JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And now Crescent markets their 'sheet' pastry dough ~ crescent roll dough without the perforations that have to be smushed together.

I use it for my Krafty Crescent Lasagna.....just made it the end of December (and halved the recipe ~ in the casserole/main dish section)

46JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:42 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:

Cyn ~ just in case you want a crust for something I've resorted to the Pillsbury Pie Crust(s) ~ red box in the refrigerated section.  It's not bad at all.  And although I do make 'real' pie crusts on occasion, I have used the Pillsbury brand a number of times with good results.  

IF you need to thin them a bit you can always use a clean wine bottle to roll over them.  Has worked for me a number of times!

I think I 'may' have a wine bottle, somewhere around here!! HA..

(Actually, from staring at Judy's picture, it reminds me of the old Bisquick 'Magic' Pie.....You could probably find a recipe for it on the Taste of Home site....

But I'm sure Judy will share her recipe.

47JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:44 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

JanaAZ wrote:

Yes, there is a crust and a recipe. The crust is crescent dough so very easy peasy

Cheesy Beef Pie

Servings: 6-8

INGREDIENTS

1 lb. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. green pepper, chopped
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can mushrooms
1 can (8 oz.) crescent rolls
1/4 tsp. salt and  garlic salt
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese

STEPS

1) Brown meat, onions and pepper; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms and seasonings. Separate rolls and press triangles into 9 inch pie pan. Combine egg with 1 cup cheese. Spread over crust. Add meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. (Mine baked about 30 minutes and thr cheese was bubbly)

Thank You!!
~~~~
Went out and got my stuff for the soup which I want to make this week.. probably tomorrow...or Tuesday.

bethk likes this post

48JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had his own supper..... (( sigh ))

I made my Asian Braised Pork and then stir fried some vegetables and added some of the sauce I used to braise the pork. Made 1/2 c. of rice (makes about 1-1/4 c. cooked).

It was pretty tasty and I was happy I had a real meal.

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 01_14_13

49JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:27 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:And now Crescent markets their 'sheet' pastry dough ~ crescent roll dough without the perforations that have to be smushed together.

I use it for my Krafty Crescent Lasagna.....just made it the end of December (and halved the recipe ~ in the casserole/main dish section)

That’s what I used. I bought 3 cans since I was going to make a pinwheel appetizer with it. Unfortunately I had the flu and am now stuck with several cans. One down…2 to go

50JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Empty Re: JANUARY, 2024 Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:38 pm

JanaAZ

I’ve been incredibly busy the last few days. Someone said they made a bolognese casserole and I mentioned it to Steve. As he started to drool. I thought it might be something nice to make.

I also wanted to send dinner to my friend with the 1000 kids. So..day 1 shop for ingredients, day 2 make bolognese sauce, day 3 make béchamel, noodles and build their casserole. I didn’t think a bunch of littles would like bolognese so I added sauce to theirs and the one I made for us is just bolognese. Everything is waiting to be baked now.

Then I get a CRAZY idea,..I decided to make a garlic babka. So this morning I got the dough ready, conjured up a filling and made the bobka which is in the oven now. So unbaked items are shown. I have the kiddo version that has sauce and bolognese along with béchamel and one for us which doesn’t have spaghetti sauce in it. They’re both topped with a boatload of cheese

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_0014
JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_0016
JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_0015

JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_0017
JANUARY, 2024 - Page 2 Img_9319

bethk, cookingirl and Cookin Lore like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum