Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2023; What's Cooking ?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Haven't had or made Meat Loaf in a long long time. Ummmm ..... ok BUT....I had to be careful to not let one piece of onion on DD's special NO ONION Personal meatloaf.
Pain in the @$$ for sure. I also had to re-mash the ground round to accommodate Tina's stomach issues. The best thing about home cooked meatloaf, is the next day slice meatloaf sandwiches with good German mustard. Hot meatloaf sandwiches is a leftover I will eat; with gravy, and on white pullman bread.

I understand it's a PITA to eliminate ingredients  ~ ~  HOWEVER, since I don't eat most cheese I completely understand.

And as long as you know ahead of time and don't have to try and pick out what's already mixed in.....well, it's not terribly difficult.

So now you get 'The-DAD-of-the-year' award......

LOL

THANKS BETH Very Happy

bethk likes this post

77September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:24 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Haven't had or made Meat Loaf in a long long time. Ummmm ..... ok BUT....I had to be careful to not let one piece of onion on DD's special NO ONION Personal meatloaf.
Pain in the @$$ for sure. I also had to re-mash the ground round to accommodate Tina's stomach issues. The best thing about home cooked meatloaf, is the next day slice meatloaf sandwiches with good German mustard. Hot meatloaf sandwiches is a leftover I will eat; with gravy, and on white pullman bread.

I love meatloaf. HOWEVER, I have not found a recipe in which you can really slice the loaf! any hints? My kids say flavour is great, I just can't slice it. Mine always crunbles when I try to slice it.

bethk likes this post

78September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Testing stuffed peppers and mushrooms for our pot luck in the building this Saturday. I have mini peppers and some mushrooms. Test today is, I cooked some lentils; fried some mushrooms, onion and garlic. Mixed them with cheese to stuff the veggies. I added chopped shrimp into the Mix for the mushrooms. Flavour is good, but I will add more cheese for the party!"

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 09_20_18

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

79September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:

I love meatloaf.  HOWEVER, I have not found a recipe in which you can really slice the loaf! any hints?  My kids say flavour is great, I just can't slice it. Mine always crunbles when I try to slice it.

I usually add an egg to my mix as a binder. Also, I use dried and then crushed bread in my mix, about 2 cups in a 1 + 1/2Lb. of beef that was ground 3x times. If not , I pulse chop the beef in the food processor a little at the time till it is finer.

80September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
I love meatloaf.  HOWEVER, I have not found a recipe in which you can really slice the loaf! any hints?  My kids say flavour is great, I just can't slice it. Mine always crunbles when I try to slice it.

Lore ~ my meatloaf always slices ~ especially after it's cold from being in the refrigerator overnight......

I use ground chuck, breakfast sausage (2 parts ground beef to 1 part sausage) sauteed vegetables, spices and an egg or two (depending upon how much I'm making), tomato sauce, some panko or regular bread crumbs, mixed with some milk and the eggs (allowed to sit for a bit so the moisture gets absorbed by the dry stuff).  I mix it really well (I use my hands but I know some use a stand mixer) and I make sure it's packed into the loaf pan.  Usually I line the pan with plastic wrap, add the meatloaf mixture and freeze.....then, when it's time to bake it I let it thaw in the refrigerator for a couple days and turn it upside down on to a small rack on a baking sheet.  Often I'll add a little strip of foil on top of the rack so it's easier to remove after baking.

After baking I let it sit for a good 20 minutes to 'settle' before I move it to a serving plate to slice.  It breaks a bit when it's freshly baked but if you cool it completely and store in the refrigerator overnight the next day you can easily slice the meatloaf thin and brown in a bit of butter.  It's a perfect 'make-ahead' meal if you slice and brown for either sandwiches or with mashed potatoes & a vegetable.

Works every time for me.

I think it's important to cook the vegetables before mixing in with the raw beef/sausage. Otherwise there's too much moisture from the raw vegetables and that might be a reason it falls apart. Just thinking out loud.....

81September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:25 am

Cookin Lore

Thanks. Will try a meatloaf again, soon.

Right now, I just finished my breakfast and am watching a Huge John Deere scoop up the last pile of debris from what was an arena complex across the street from my building. My sons played hockey in there in the 70s and 80s! The city has not announced what will replace it yet. I imagine probably condos, and if that's what is going there, I hope they put a nice grocery store at street level.

The closest real grocery store here, in downtown is about 2 miles away. Our governments want people to use public transport etc., so they need to make food a little mor accessible. I'm ok so far, I have a car and can still drive but who knows how long that will last, right?

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

82September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

As has been my usual question to HIM, I asked, "What's for supper tonight?"

Eggs..............

(( geesh ! ))

So, HE will have HIS eggs and I'll have a sloppy joe and chips.

I just don't feel like going to any trouble and I have enough sloppy joe for two sandwiches. One for tonight and one for another day.

(( sigh ))

83September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It warn't much but I don't want anything more.....

LOL

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 09_21_16

84September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Deli food from Giuseppe's...... Horrible! Rice balls like glue.
Portabella mushrooms filled with white beans. Like paste.

bethk likes this post

85September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=24]The meatloaf from yesterdays meal.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Img_2419

bethk likes this post

86September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:55 am

Cookin Lore

No cooking again last night. Son texted, did I want to meet him at the brewpub, had a lovely, yummy piece of salmon and a huge mixed salad. Have had a really busy week, we're having a pot luck dinner in my building this Saturday. I'm part of the organizing committee. Today I have to shop for decorations etc. I tried out the mini stuffed peppers for me to take as my contribution. Changed my mind. I'm going the easier route, I'm just going to buy chicken wings that someone else has already made for me, and I just put them in the oven! Going to a pot luck generally costs me more than if I go out. Some people bring basically what they might eat, and I bring enough for 50!

The other thing that has kept me busy is that my living room TV has given up the ghost. So, I had to shop. Bought a fancy one with the "frame" into/onto which you can load any digital pictures you own, or want to download. You can watch them on a loop, and if not watching, one can be on the wall like a piece of art. We have most of my late daughter's photographs already on memory sticks, so those will be available to me any time. It is WAYYY more $$$$$ than I thought I would ever spend on a TV, but I'm sure I will like it, and I can have a "viewing party!" That's being installed tomorrow.

I have no idea what to make for tonight. I have a shift at thrift so I get home about 5:30

87September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight we had, or shall I say, I had.... a hungry man frozen Salisbury steak dinner.
Tina had leftover meat loaf and mashed potatoes and gravy.

bethk likes this post

88September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We've had a couple busy days.....

Yesterday we went over to Lyn's to take care of some maintenance items she couldn't tackle but Dane could.

She wanted to use the leaf blower to clean up some things outside but couldn't get the blower to work ~ so Dane showed her how the battery had to be inserted and be snapped into place. She was really grateful to have it explained to her.

He also climbed up on a ladder to remove a piece of broken screening in her birdcage. She's like I am ~ no ladders for us!

When we got done with a bunch of little things to help out we all decided to go out for supper.

It was nice to just have a quiet supper without any hurry.

Today was Ladies' Lunch day ~ we went to a restaurant we've been to a number of times. They've changed the menu and done away with the 'half-size' entrees....that was the big draw for all of us. So, now the servings are huge ~ as well as the price being for a full-sized serving. Ugh!

So, tonight HE made himself eggs again.

And I haven't been hungry since I had lunch......

Maybe I'll cook something tomorrow......

Maybe not.

89September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tried the Italian sausage from Giuseppe's. The PLAIN ( not hot ), was not dry. It was rather lean once the sausage was cooked. Not a bit greasy, and the texture was course, and moist. There was no fennel to flavor, and no hint of garlic.
The HOT sausage was not hot at all. It was colored red from paprika. No fennel, and no garlic flavor. It had the same texture as the plain; which was good. Tina even tasted the HOT, and said it was mildly hot. She would start fanning her open mouth with her hand if it was hot, believe me. LOL. Little more fat than I would like, but that is the belly fat. See the white specks of fat....?
That is what keeps it moist, and I cooked the heck out of it. No grizzle thank Goodness.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Img_2420
September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Img_2421

bethk likes this post

90September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm

JanaAZ

You haven’t seen me for a while. Something weird has been going on with my back and for the last few weeks I couldn’t stand long enough to cook. Thank goodness I had stuff in the freezer. We have a trip to the holy land in a few weeks and we were thinking we’d have to cancel it. Hopefully things will continue to improve

But as my back is starting to feel better, I’ll be cook8ng stuff again….but just quick and easy stuff.

bethk likes this post

91September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:You haven’t seen me for a while. Something weird has been going on with my back and for the last few weeks I couldn’t stand long enough to cook. Thank goodness I had stuff in the freezer. We have a trip to the holy land in a few weeks and we were thinking we’d have to cancel it. Hopefully things will continue to improve

But as my back is starting to feel better, I’ll be cook8ng stuff again….but just quick and easy stuff.

Goodness, Judy ~ that doesn't sound like a fun time! Hopefully it's just something minor that requires rest and heat/cold compresses to relax the muscles.

It's good to have to empty meals out of the freezers.....

(( makes more room for holiday cookies soon! LOL ))

JanaAZ likes this post

92September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:09 pm

Cookin Lore

JanaAZ wrote:You haven’t seen me for a while. Something weird has been going on with my back and for the last few weeks I couldn’t stand long enough to cook. Thank goodness I had stuff in the freezer. We have a trip to the holy land in a few weeks and we were thinking we’d have to cancel it. Hopefully things will continue to improve

I'm glad to read that things are looking up for you, and hopefully you'll be in tip-top shape for your exciting trip! All your postigs have such appetizing pictures!

JanaAZ likes this post

93September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:10 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:

Goodness, Judy ~ that doesn't sound like a fun time!  Hopefully it's just something minor that requires rest and heat/cold compresses to relax the muscles.

It's good to have to empty meals out of the freezers.....

I wasn’t going to have time to do much baking this season but I was going to get some dough made before I left. Yea, that didn’t happen.

((  makes more room for holiday cookies soon!  LOL  ))

94September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Judy, feel better. Nothing worse than a crook in the neck.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Slow neck exercise helps too. Only experience from my crooks that I get once in a while.....Sometime it is painful just to keep the head upright.
Enjoy your visit.

bethk likes this post

95September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

One thing about living with someone with gut problems......you no longer have to come up with meal ideas. You just have to ask, "What's for supper?"

75% of the time the answer is "eggs".

And then there's the 25% surprise times when he has an idea of something he's hungry for.

Tonight was one of those nights.

HE wanted fried chicken (did I mention HE complains of gut issues ??? ) I don't know if that would have been my first choice ~ but I went with his request and we had fried chicken, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.

OK, so you already know I just took a golf cart ride to the nearest Publix and got the chicken.....

But I DID reheat it on a rack in the toaster oven to get the excess grease to drain off and get the crust nice and crispy....

LOL

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 09_24_15

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

96September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:45 pm

JanaAZ

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Judy, feel better. Nothing worse than a crook in the neck.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Slow neck exercise helps too. Only experience from my crooks that I get once in a while.....Sometime it is painful just to keep the head upright.
Enjoy your visit.

This wasn’t my neck. It’s l1-2. I couldn’t even stand sit or lay down so there were no exercises I could do without excruciating pain. But hopefully I’m past the hump on this.

97September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. After several days, I actually made a very nice dinner for myself. Sirloin on my indoor grill, delicata squash and a salad."

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 09_24_16

98September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got burger patties out to thaw.

Then Jim called.......

We're going out to Bamboo Bistro tonight.

Burgers will be fine for tomorrow.

99September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:17 pm

Cookin Lore

Sounds great. I'm nursing a sore leg, so doing the simple thing tonight. I made some awesome sauce with a lot of veggies the other day, so I just threw some chicken thighs in it, and it's starting to cook in the oven. Will make some pasta for it when it's done.

100September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 4 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a chuck roast. She added mushrooms this time.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum