Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2023; What's Cooking ?

+2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew HE was having eggs........again.

So I had to come up with an idea for myself. I looked in the freezer and the first thing I saw was the bag of frozen sweet potato fries. OK, so I wanted sweet potato fries with ......... something.

Then I thought, gee ~ maybe a fried chicken sandwich.

I have a zip bag of 'chicken cutlets' ~ chicken breasts already sliced across into thin portions ~ that I can use for cut up chicken bits for a salad or, in this case, for a fried chicken sandwich. I thawed the cutlet and pounded it lightly to even out the thickness. Seasoned it in s&p, patted on a tiny bit of flour, dipped it in a beaten egg and then into panko crumbs. I just quickly browned it in a little non-stick skillet until it was golden on both sides (and completely cooked).

I put the sweet potato fries on a small foil lined pan and spritzed them with some olive oil spray and cooked them in the toaster oven at 450° on convection ~ for about 12 minutes. I start them in a cold oven and they come out nice and crispy that way (secret shared by DD#1).

I toasted my bun in the regular toaster just to get it a bit toasty and added some Chic Fil A sauce (yes, I save the 'extras' they give me when I buy something there) and a couple leafs of lettuce. It was all really pretty tasty. The chicken was nice and crispy and wasn't too large for the bun. I'm glad I happened on those sweet potato fries to give me inspiration for my supper!

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_06_20

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

27September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was at Costco and brought home a rotisserie chicken. It's in the toaster oven getting done a little more . I am not going to eat that. She and DD can pick at it if they want. I will have hot dogs.

bethk likes this post

28September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pan fried pork cutlet, breaded and fried; fingerling potatoes, a corn (sort of) salsa with fresh corn, yellow pepper, parsley, onion, tomato and two small nectarines. Oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper is the only dressing."

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_06_21

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

29September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have to share the loveliest experience I had today.

Dane was working with Patrick today so I took advantage of being able to do 'nothing'.....and decided to go for a ride in the golf cart to Lake Sumter Landing, the Towne Center about 2 miles from our house. It's designed to look like a New England Village. I stopped and checked out a couple of the stores (nothing caught my eye) and then decided to stop at TooJay's Deli for some lunch. I had seen some new menu items they've recently added and was going to try their Chicken & Waffles ~ a Belgian waffle with crispy chicken strips.

Unfortunately, it's on the breakfast menu and I was there too late for breakfast items. The sweet waitress apologized profusely and I said, "It's not YOUR fault! You have no need to apologize. UNLESS, of course, it was up for a vote by the wait staff and YOU VOTED AGAINST OFFERING IT FOR LUNCH ~ ~ Then it WOULD BE YOUR FAULT!" We both laughed.

I ended up getting a cup of Matzo Ball Soup and a small salad. They do a very nice job with their soup ~ tastes very much like something I'd make (except for the matzo balls, which I do not make).

When I finished my meal my waitress returned and said, "You're all set! Those nice gentlemen just took care of your meal!" I was shocked. I hadn't had any interaction with the two men sitting at the next booth but they were kind enough to pay for my lunch.

I got up to leave and stopped by to say, "Thank you! You just made my day!"

I'm sure it was just a small gesture that they decided to do on the spur of the moment but it really did make me smile.

And I'll be passing it forward ~ whether at a restaurant or (more likely) at the grocery store when I see a mom who is trying to decide what to put back because she doesn't have enough on her debit card. I've done that a number of times and it's always so gratifying for the mom ~ but more for me. Been there, done that! Everyone should get some help every once in a while.

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

30September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:10 am

Cookin Lore

What a lovely story! A few months ago I saw that happen at my cash at the thrift store. Young man who seems to have some emotional problems didn't have enough to pay for his shoes, and a quite young woman just pulled out her card and said "Put it on this." I'm up early today, doing a morning shift at the store.

31September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

As long as HE is still cooking eggs I figured it would be a great time to do a 'girls supper' again....

Had no problem finding friends to join in!

(( Gee, that means I won't be cooking......again! ))

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

32September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:51 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

JanaAZ wrote:I had a taste for gyros but didn’t feel like making the meat. Someone told me costcos gyro meat was good so I decided to,try it. It was very good   So our dinner was gyros with onions tomato cabbage homemade pickles and homemade tzatziki. On the side was Mexican corn salad and potato salad. Gotta use the leftovers somehow.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Img_9510

Yeah, it was good, you reminded me that I still have some left in my freezer

33September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

It's time again, I'm planning my trip to visit my family, I have started to fill up the freezer with some foods I cook for D and his MOm's lunch, they will have to fix their own supper ((usually light meal )

bethk likes this post

34September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had Chinese ..... Tina brought some Pork fried rice after her Sam's trip, and egg rolls.
Also, a small container of boneless pork ribs. That was lunch. Now supper will be chicken salad I made for Her. I will have a tomato salad of sorts..... I will not eat the chix salad. I did not cook the chix, then I don't eat the chix..... September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 411572088

bethk likes this post

35September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:It's time again, I'm planning my trip to visit my family, I have started to fill up the freezer with some foods I cook for D and his MOm's lunch, they will have to fix their own supper ((usually light meal )

It's nice you to plan for your absence and make sure Dirk and his mom have some meals on hand.

Have a good trip and enjoy your time back in your homeland with the foods you love.

Last edited by bethk on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

36September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was cooking for one......... (( guess why??? )).......so I thawed out one of my chicken breast cutlets, cut it into bite size pieces & sauteed in a bit of olive oil & butter, seasoned lightly with just s&p.

This afternoon I tossed together some head lettuce, some thinly sliced cabbage, a bit of carrot, some celery & a tiny bit of sweet onion. I mixed up some of the cider vinegar dressing and toasted some 'fresh' Alabama pecans.

And that became my Chicken Salad for tonight's supper.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_08_19

37September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:20 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:It's time again, I'm planning my trip to visit my family, I have started to fill up the freezer with some foods I cook for D and his MOm's lunch, they will have to fix their own supper ((usually light meal )

Have a great time Imelda.... Enjoy your family, and God bless all. Very Happy

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

38September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:21 am

Cookin Lore

Yes, Imelda, have a wonderful time visiting :"home" and family. How long have you been in the US? I am also planning to have one more trip to Germany, but next summer. I came to Canada at age 11, have been here a very long time, so Canada really is home to me. I still have contact with cousins in Germany, and my mother's only surviving sister is 94, and well for her age. Hopefully my niece Lily and I will do a road trip for aunt Ella's 95th b-day next August. She is a professor atone Toronto University, so timing is totally up to her.

No cooking for me yesterday. Son called, did I feel like picking up a couple of WENDY's sandwiches and fries and come for a beer with him at his house? Of course, I went. Yumm!

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

39September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch ~ went to Chinese.....so I'm full and HE had a change ~ an EGG sandwich instead of egg on a plate with toast.....

WOO HOO!

LOL

40September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE spoke with Jim this morning and decided maybe HE could go out to eat.

So, (WooHoo for me!) I guess we'll be going out for supper tonight.

41September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We filled up last night. Carryout $129.00 worth of food. Still full, but I had an egg and cheese on an English muffin for brunch. We will probably pic on whatever we find for supper.

bethk likes this post

42September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:45 pm

Cookin Lore

I have a few pieces of ribs in the oven, just finished eating the last of the salsa I made a while ago. Going to put some baby potatoes in the oven to go with the ribs. I'm going away tomorrow to visit some friends for two nights. I didn't plan my groceries well, and have some tomatoes, lettuce, cucs in the fridge will possibly not survive my absence. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought those things a few days ago. Trip is about 200 miles, they have a trailer on the shores of Lake Huron.

43September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:I have  a few pieces of ribs in the oven, just finished eating the last of the salsa I made  a while ago.  Going to put some baby potatoes in the oven to go with the ribs.  I'm going away tomorrow to visit some friends for two nights.  I didn't plan my groceries well, and have some tomatoes, lettuce, cucs in the fridge will possibly not survive my absence.  Don't know what I was thinking when I bought those things a few days ago. Trip is about 200 miles, they have a trailer on the shores of Lake Huron.  

Just a suggestion, we wrap everything in foil like lettuce and cucs zucchini and celery etc. but not tomatoes. We do slice the tomatoes, and keep them in a glass pyrex bowl. That extends the keep fresh time by days.

bethk likes this post

44September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out last night and HE had a simple grilled mahi sandwich without any seasonings....and tonight he's going to fix himself eggs.

Since I didn't know he was having problems this morning I was excited to get a steak out of the freezer.....charcoal grilled. Sweet corn grilled in the husks......(I was going to make him a different vegetable) and maybe some of the baby potatoes, par cooked to soften and then finished over the charcoal.

So, I am having a steak tonight ~ and probably the leftover steak on a salad tomorrow night.

(( sigh ))

I might forgo the potatoes since I have corn ~ it's been so very good lately.

Sure wish HE could figure out what's the problem.

I also just mixed up some Dill Dip to have to snack on with raw vegetables. It's been years since I've made it but saw a picture on some site I was scrolling through. Suddenly, that's what I knew I wanted! So, it's all mixed up and in the refrigerator sitting to let the flavors meld for a few hours.

45September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE had his eggs about 15 minutes before I started to plate up......

I feel kind of bad because he could smell it and see it......but it was HIS choice. I was willing to share.

It was delicious, by the way...........

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_11_18

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_11_19

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_11_20

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_11_21

46September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ok.... finally got to sit and post the meal today. Tina wanted chicken soup.
She added matzo balls the last 1/2 hour of the soup cooking. She made a yellow cake, and iced it with light chocolate butter cream icing.
Tonight, there is a corned beef swimming in the slow cooker, and that will stay on low heat to cook. The kitchen smells awesomely delicious..... September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 863604796

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

47September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Cookin Lore wrote:Yes, Imelda, have a wonderful time visiting :"home" and family.  How long have you been in the US?  I am also planning to have one more trip to Germany, but next summer.  I came to Canada at age 11, have been here a very long time, so Canada really is home to me. I still have contact with cousins in Germany, and my mother's only surviving sister is 94, and well for her age.  Hopefully my niece Lily and I will do a road trip for aunt Ella's 95th b-day next August.    She is a professor atone Toronto University, so timing is totally up to her.

No cooking for me yesterday.  Son called, did I feel like picking up a couple of WENDY's sandwiches and fries and come for a beer with him at his house?  Of course, I went.  Yumm!  

I've been living here for 22 years+. I tried to go back there every year, some times twice a year when my Mom was still alive ( she was 98 years old when she passed away in February 2020), I went again last year after the pandemic. Most of my siblings  live there, so I want to spend times with them as much as I can. One of my sisters passed away suddenly in December last year, I could not go to see her as she was staying with her daughter in Sydney, Australia, and I did not see her since February 2020, she was 71. Now I try to make time visiting my family whenever I can

48September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:38 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:

It's nice you to plan for your absence and make sure Dirk and his mom have some meals on hand.

Have a good trip and enjoy your time back in your homeland with the foods you love.

Thank you Beth, it's along trip and I get the anxiety attack every time I prepared my trips, oh well

I like to plan and cook meal for them, part of my reasons is I don't want they messing with my kitchen ( my pots and pans ), am I bad??  Razz Razz

49September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Corned beef is ready to eat. Just need to reheat after I chilled and sliced it for keeping it in nice sliced sizes. Just waiting for DD to get here after work.

Imelda HL likes this post

50September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 Empty Re: September 2023; What's Cooking ? Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

As I said yesterday, tonight was a Steak Salad with the leftovers.

I'm not a fan of leftovers (hmmmmm, have I ever mentioned that??? LOL) but I will eat them if I morph it into something completely different.

Last night's steak into a salad, leftover chicken turned into creamed chicken & vegetables, and.....gee, I can't think of anything else right now. That's because it doesn't happen often.

September 2023; What's Cooking ? - Page 2 09_12_16

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum