Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

+3
Crybaby
NormM
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Niagara Visitor

THanks, I think so. Hope so.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's today's exchange with Ms. Tina:

(me) "How's Jimmy doing today? Is he able to get off and on the bed by himself (assuming he's not tethered to 1,000 wires, tubes or chains)? It's going to shock him how whipped he'll be feeling for a while, but he'll recover if for no other reason than to see your smiling face every day!"

(Tina) "He’s out of transmitter so he can walk around he may go home today the doctor was sad he has a choice of staying on the medication or going in for the surgery but the surgery is more risky so he’s going to stay on the medication if he has an episode then he’ll have to come back."

(me) "Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Take care of yourself. I can ship you a case of duct tape if he doesn't follow directions at home. You can tape him in a chair."

(Tina) "They’re taking his blood now he said he’s going to listen because he doesn’t want the surgery."

(me) "Yup. I'm sure he has now heard what the docs had to say, loud and clear...."

So, with any luck, and with good reports on his condition, Jimmy may be headed home today! I cannot imagine how worn out both he and Tina must be. I just hope they do as little as possible and let friends and family help out so they can both rest.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Turkey is in the oven.  Stuffed, but I over-estimated the cavity, and underestimated the amount of stuffing I made, so there's an extra dish.  Rabbits are ready to go into their "new home".  They were a bit of a challenge.  Whatever butcher did these, basically skinned, removed the head and guts, and left the rest attached inside!  I was used to hubby giving me the innards in a separate bag/dish.  

I bought a new, bright yellow 18x24 inch plastic cutting board the other day, and don't know how I managed to prepare rabbits before.  My meat cleaver as well as my kitchen shears got a good workout!

Red cabbage is defrosting, it will go in the slow cooker for re-heating and serving. There are still potatoes to peel, other veggies to get ready for roasting, then get ready for guests.  I hope everyone is hungry when they come, and that they bring containers for leftovers!

You're a better woman than I, Lore ~ I've never prepped a rabbit and wouldn't have a clue what to do. I've eaten it, but never had to deal with one from the fresh state.

I'm sure your holiday dinner will be a huge success!

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's looked like rain all day today so I knew it would be a stove cooked supper. I had some ham steak and decided to have that, simply browned in a skillet. Made the zucchini/summer squash/carrot/onion 'vegetable spaghetti' and Ms. Tina's Braised Potatoes & Onions to go with the ham ~ and finished it off with a WalMart Sweet Kale Salad (kit) that is almost like dessert because of the sweet poppyseed type dressing and dried cranberries.

Tina's braised potatoes and onions are an amazingly simple, yet complex tasting dish. It's just a couple Yukon gold potatoes peeled & cut into chunks, the same with a half an onion. I added about 1 Tbsp. of evoo and maybe 1 tsp. of butter to a small cast iron skillet, added the potato & onion and then enough water to come about half way up the potatoes. I put on a lid and brought it to a boil ~ for about 10 minutes. Then I removed the lid so the water would evaporate, simmered slowly until the potatoes and onions had melted together and the water was just about gone. Oh, and did a light seasoning, too. The onions just started to dissolve around the potatoes and practically melted like butter, surrounding the potatoes with onion-y goodness. Yum!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 10_08_10

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagra, Belated Happy Thanksgiving! I am sure it went well.. more than enough food.

Beth, Thanks for a copy of the conversation with Tina!! Good to hear!! and read..

Jimmy, hope you are back soon.. and be a good boy!!

Today, I semi-cooked.. been living on a very soft diet since the dental stuff.. an entire week.
I cheated with cooking. I picked up a boneless skinless chicken breast and one Garlic Provolone Sausage at the butchers.

Took out a jar of Trader Joes Organic Tomato & Basil Sauce. Cut up the chicken and sausage, dumped into sauce, and cooked for an hour. Was it good. I had some small shell pasta with it. Delicious.

The garlic really makes the apartment smell so good. Almost like real cooking. My tummy is stuffed!!

I have enough for 2 days of leftovers, with enough to be frozen in small containers.

It was cold today; so, a hot supper was needed.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad you're able to enjoy "real" food, Cyn. Love that Trader Joe's jarred sauce....don't have to add to it (except to thin out a bit).

bethk

bethk
Admin

GREAT NEWS,!!

I just heard from Tina. They cut him loose this afternoon. He's home, being tended to by Tina and Maria.....had a light meal and is now exhausted but happy to be home.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thank you everyone for your concerns and get well posts.
I am home now, and Tina cooked me cod fish in a olive oil wine sauce.
DD baked me a squash. .
I read the posts to catch up, but I need more to read t over again.

I really Love you all, and had all of you, in my thoughts, and knew you all would coach me to leap forward; and to get back to loving you as my family. As always.

I did this to myself. I had my son and DIL readying for their trip to Italy for two weeks, Plus Tina, ( my guardian angel ) I didn't want to spoil her event at the church where she was on the volunteer and cook community; cooking the sausage and peppers. She went above and beyond, staying with me as my advocate. Giving me strength to Not give up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria ( DD ) took this picture. she laughed her butt off seeing the toilet in my room. No door; No curtain. Just sit and wave to all who passes buy.

Here I am in CCU at Morristown Hospital in NJ

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 Img_5310

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:... I am going to have a chore cleaning that cast iron griddle tomorrow.

We got one of these chainmail things to clean our cast iron pans and griddle from Amazon about 6 months ago and love it, Norm. The lady who cleans for me loves it, too, and she's turned on some of her other clients to it as well. It makes quick work of anything that's stuck on and we can push it right through the ridges of the griddle as well. You can run it through the dishwasher but I usually just soap it up and rub it in my hands a minute, rinse it and then put it on a kitchen towel to dry off. We hang it from the pot rack from its loop:

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 Castir10

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Ringer-Original-Stainless-Cleaner-Patented/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539066108&sr=8-3&keywords=cast+iron+cleaner

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 Launch

Here is a launch picture. Wish it was better.

We'd have killed to see that!

Crybaby

Crybaby

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 Img_5310
[/size][/quote]

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 940422454       Welcome back, Jimmy!     OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 940422454

So GLAD you're back in your own home, Jimmy! I know you AND Tina are both exhausted and Maria is probably worn out from worrying about you as well. We were all very worried about you and missed the hell out of you, too! Take your time getting back "in the flow" -- and try to be good so you don't need more surgery, okay? We're all crazy about you and expect you to be around for a long time. Welcome home and welcome back!

Laughed at the picture and Maria laughing at the commode right out there for all the world to see. It brought me back to my hospitalization in 2014 -- I still remember the night when lots of my connections/wires had been removed and the night nurse disconnected me temporarily from the remaining ones so I could use the actual bathroom in my room. She was an angel for leaving me in there alone as long as I left the door cracked and promised to holler if I needed help. I was so darn grateful.

You sure do miss privacy when you're in the hospital. And it's no place to rest either as they wake you up constantly especially in the middle of the night -- my favorite was the young man with the x-ray machine who would come by at 5 a.m. most mornings and hand me this ice cold heavy piece of
"film" to place over my heart so he could take his daily x-ray. Yikes! I know you're glad to be home -- Dorothy was right as there really is no place like it!!! And even though I'm sure you'll be making some changes to your diet, it's got to beat the tasteless stuff I'm sure you were offered while there!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Glad you were able to enjoy some decent food again, Cindy -- and you got leftovers out of your meal to boot! I know you must've been sick of soft foods. Is your dental work all done, or is there more to come?

You're lucky to be enjoying some cool weather. With the storm currently heading for Florida -- take care, Beth! -- we're told we'll FINALLY be getting some cooler weather around Friday -- but it will only be in the low 60s with a high near 80. But the humidity is supposed to be low so we're looking forward to some pleasant weather. Does indeed make you look forward to different meals as well.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara, I hope your Thanksgiving dinner was all you hoped it would be.

We haven't stuffed a turkey in years but we do love stuffing (usually oyster). Your guests were lucky to get it both ways.

NormM

NormM

Welcome back Jimmy. Michelle, I went out to the garage to see if we still had a wire brush but found a metal punch the same diameter as the grooves in the grill and used it to clean it up. It worked very well.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Goodness Gracious, Jimmy! It's good to hear from you ~ Welcome Home !!!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 1628686546 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 1628686546 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363

I hope you had a good night's sleep away from the nosey nurses and support staff at the hospital. They sure don't make it easy to get any rest. But at least you were alert when the docs gave you your instructions and options ~ ~ Follow Directions Or Return for Another Round of "Jimmy-Slice-and-Dice" !

When you're up to it give us an idea of the stuff you're allowed to eat and we'll come up with some creative meals. Nothing thrills us more than playing around with new menu ideas, especially if it means we can teach you how to prepare a new, tasty meal. And don't even look at the 'don't eat' list ~ no need to mourn what you cannot have, just look forward to all the tasty things you can have and enjoy. We're all here to support you!

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Welcome back Jimmy.  Michelle, I went out to the garage to see if we still had a wire brush but found a metal punch the same diameter as the grooves in the grill and used it to clean it up. It worked very well.

Clever, Norm!

(just be sure it doesn't drop into the disposal...... *CLANK* CLANK * CLUNK ***

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, and Jimmy, just so you know.....

Imelda is visiting with her Mom but sends her very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Judy (JanaAZ) just returned from a trip and came home to a broken refrigerator (yet another one, eh?) so she's trying to deal with that. She's sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 Launch

Here is a Youtube video from a neighbor's yard. Looks fuzzy at first but then it clears up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Je5fdUHIJ8&feature=youtu.be

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy!!! So glad to hear from You!!! You are BACK!!! Happy Dance!!! OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2790317363 OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 3561122519

So worried about you...

When you are hospitalized, you Definitely have a lack of privacy, you lose all modesty, if you had any to begin with... and get no sleep/rest at all...

You must be exhausted.. as well as Tina and Maria.. Love to them..

Yes, we can try to help you with foods/recipes; although, I think Tina and Maria will have a heavy hand in what you will be eating... OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 2787578702

For me, I am having leftovers for supper. I need to pack some of the sauce up for the freezer. Will do that later today. I really ate too much yesterday. And picked a ton on Sunday.. making up for all the yogurt, milk shakes, ice cream, and pudding, I had the last week.

I am going to be on a soft diet for at least 4 months. I had a dental implant last week. I have to wait for this to heal. Currently, I have still have stitches. Once the stitches are removed, I have to wait at least 4 months for everything to heal, stabilize, before I can get the tooth.

What I do not understand is how all these 'shops' are opening up; stating "Implants in one day".... unless they mean just the implant and not the tooth..

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 Img_5310
[/size]

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 940422454       Welcome back, Jimmy!     OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 3 940422454

So GLAD you're back in your own home, Jimmy! I know you AND Tina are both exhausted and Maria is probably worn out from worrying about you as well. We were all very worried about you and missed the hell out of you, too! Take your time getting back "in the flow" -- and try to be good so you don't need more surgery, okay? We're all crazy about you and expect you to be around for a long time. Welcome home and welcome back!

Laughed at the picture and Maria laughing at the commode right out there for all the world to see. It brought me back to my hospitalization in 2014 -- I still remember the night when lots of my connections/wires had been removed and the night nurse disconnected me temporarily from the remaining ones so I could use the actual bathroom in my room. She was an angel for leaving me in there alone as long as I left the door cracked and promised to holler if I needed help. I was so darn grateful.

You sure do miss privacy when you're in the hospital. And it's no place to rest either as they wake you up constantly especially in the middle of the night -- my favorite was the young man with the x-ray machine who would come by at 5 a.m. most mornings and hand me this ice cold heavy piece of
"film" to place over my heart so he could take his daily x-ray. Yikes! I know you're glad to be home -- Dorothy was right as there really is no place like it!!! And even though I'm sure you'll be making some changes to your diet, it's got to beat the tasteless stuff I'm sure you were offered while there![/quote]

I hated the enemas.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thank you all for the help. I am trying to recover from the trauma of what happened.
There was a double whammy. Last sunday was the cath lab to add two stents through the groin .... Then on tuesday, back to the cath lab for to fix another blockage by another Dr.
That food was excellent they prepared. I ate every morsel. Haaaa

bethk

bethk
Admin

Geese Louise, Jimmy, you're just about filled up with after-market parts, aren't you?

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Welcome back Jimmy.  Michelle, I went out to the garage to see if we still had a wire brush but found a metal punch the same diameter as the grooves in the grill and used it to clean it up. It worked very well.

Super find, Norm, especially since it was a perfect fit.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I hated the enemas.

Thank God I wasn't subjected to THAT!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Here is a Youtube video from a neighbor's yard. Looks fuzzy at first but then it clears up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Je5fdUHIJ8&feature=youtu.be

cheers  cheers

Thanks for posting this, too, Debbie. Brian and I both enjoyed watching it. Lucky you!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum