Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

26 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Imelda HL wrote:I can't post pictures now, it says my Picture exceedes maximum size and I don't know how to resize with new program Dirk installed on my computer

We ate spaghetti for 2 days, I boiled a pack of it and ate it for 2 days, with different toppings, meatballs made from Jimmy Dean sausage for Monday, then some hot links for Tuesday, I coated the pasta with cheese sauce and lots of sauteed spinach + tomato.. too bad, can't show you the pictures
Laughing



Now THIS is a serious problem, as I look forward to every single picture you post. Whenever I save a photo from a website or an email (they all come through huge when someone emails me one), it gets saved in Microsoft's File Explorer. Wherever I post it here or anywhere else, or whenever I attach it to an email, it works fine for me and comes out at a reasonable size that I don't have to mess with.

Obviously this forum software (a/k/a "forumotion") has changed as we found out when for some reason, Norm's Avatar got a good bit larger, and when you changed yours, it, too, was a larger picture. But then you didn't mention having any trouble with your new sunflower Avatar being a problem to load, so I guess it's not this software.

What extension do your photos have, Imelda, when you take a photo with your camera? I'm certainly no computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination but will happily search for instructions (ones that even I find clear) to help you if I knew what extension your photos have? The most common ones are JPG, TIF, PNG, and GIF. And several people here might be able to help you, and the type of your photo extension is a good place to start.

I will work hard to solve this problem as I CANNOT LIVE without your photos -- I'm sure everyone will agree with me, too. They're too mouth-watering and fresh looking for us to do without seeing all the beautiful food you make, Imelda!!

27 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Crybaby

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper for ME, will be Beef Liver and Onions.
Tina won't eat it. I love liver.


Nothing smells better to me than liver and onions. But that's where it ends for me. Every time I've ever had it, it tasted gritty. Everyone said it's because it wasn't cooked right but you would think of the dozen or so times I've tasted it, SOMEONE would've cooked it properly!

I'm not adverse to liver per se, as I love all types of paté, and I will eat small doses of chicken liver, such as that used in rumaki.  But a plate of calve's liver is just not for me. My father ADORED it. My mom never made it and though my father cooked, he never made it for himself either. But he did order it for lunch if he stopped at a place that had it on their menu or for a lunch special.

It tickles me that Tina doesn't like liver but she will eat pig's feet!  Does she make liver and onions for you Jimmy, or do you make it yourself? I find it very hard to make something I don't like so she's a doll if she cooks it for you.  I wouldn't even like fiddling with a big piece of liver either. tongue  tongue  tongue

28 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:I tried a new recipe for meatloaf today. I asked Charlie if it was a keeper and he said yes. I asked him if he thought it would be better if I topped it with the regular recipe of tomato, brown sugar and bacon and he said no. He had two and a half helpings.




It certainly looks delicious, Norm -- one of the best looking meatloaves I've ever seen. Nice and charred looking on top.

Meatloaf has never been one of my favorite things. My dad made it often growing up. I always ate it but consider it to be a baked hamburger. Brian on the other hand would eat meatloaf every day! And I do like a nice cold meatloaf sandwich; when it's cold, it reminds me more of paté than a baked hamburger!

29 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:Charlie rarely asks for something for dinner but tonight he asked for  steak and bok choy.  I added twice baked potatoes and corn on the cob.


I love bok choy -- miraculously, Brian likes it, too, one of the few green vegetables he eats cooked. I usually sauté some chopped shallots in butter or olive oil and then toss in the bok choy. Love that it cooks so quickly, too. It would probably be good with some chopped bacon cooked along with the shallots but I hate to try that as then he'll want bacon in it every time. We eat enough bacon and meat, you know?

30 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Niagara Visitor


I love liver also. Chicken livers dredged if flour with lots of black pepper, fried a little, then I add chopped peppers (any colour) some mushrooms and some diced, canned tomatoes. cook until everything is done. Add s/p to taste, and serve over noodles or rice.  

But, the BEST liver is rabbit liver.  When hubby slaughtered rabbits, I would freeze three at a time, that was enough for a meal for us.

31 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Crybaby

avatar
[quote="UNCLE JIMMY"]

LIVER & ONIONS CAULIFLOWER & ZUCCHINI [/quote


Wow -- it even looks good, Jimmy. Of course, that's where it ends for me!

32 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:Depression does not discriminate.  My son has depression and would have died on Palm Sunday if I had not got him to the hospital on that day.

So sorry you went though this without even mentioning it, Norm. I'll never forget that story you told us about Charlie, that man he ran into and his airedale named Angel. I'll add Charlie (and you, too) to the ever-growing list of those I pray for. He seems like a wonderful and kind man from what you've told us and I'm so sorry he's struggling. It's an insidious disorder.

33 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Crybaby

avatar
NormM wrote:Michelle, I love chicken pot pies too but rarely eat them because i am afraid they are too many calories to have very often.  The one thing I wish they'd do is add some dark meat, or even offer some with all dark meat. I don't see the advantage of saying all white meat in big letters on the box.


I'm right there with you, Norm, but it seems we dark meat lovers are in the minority, in this country anyway. I know they're highly caloric but more often than not, I've had no breakfast and lunch when I had one. So I gobble down that BM potpie for two -- in fact, I think they say it's two servings on the box in order to assist a person in lying to himself that they're not consuming so many calories!

We're having leftover Beef Stroganoff, one of Brian's favorites. I bought some packages of 1-lb. tenderloin tips recently just so I have a pound of good beef chunks handy to indulge the poor man! Rolling Eyes He'd complained that I "never" make it anymore. I forgot I had used up the last bit of dry sherry a couple of months ago so I had none when it was time to add the sour cream and sherry. Rather than drive to the grocery to get it (the nearby convenient sells booze but they had no dry sherry per a phone call), he went to the bar and restaurant about six blocks away with a pint canning jar and top I gave him. He bought two shots of dry sherry for 6 bucks. Dinner was saved! It was strange as the bar a block away from us had no sherry, dry or cream. I was surprised as I occasionally enjoy dry sherry on the rocks with a lemon twist. I used to always have a bottle of Dry Sack sherry on hand but I rarely see it in the grocery, which is where we buy liquor when we need it....


34 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper for ME, will be Beef Liver and Onions.
Tina won't eat it. I love liver.


Nothing smells better to me than liver and onions. But that's where it ends for me. Every time I've ever had it, it tasted gritty. Everyone said it's because it wasn't cooked right but you would think of the dozen or so times I've tasted it, SOMEONE would've cooked it properly!

I'm not adverse to liver per se, as I love all types of paté, and I will eat small doses of chicken liver, such as that used in rumaki.  But a plate of calve's liver is just not for me. My father ADORED it. My mom never made it and though my father cooked, he never made it for himself either. But he did order it for lunch if he stopped at a place that had it on their menu or for a lunch special.

It tickles me that Tina doesn't like liver but she will eat pig's feet!  Does she make liver and onions for you Jimmy, or do you make it yourself? I find it very hard to make something I don't like so she's a doll if she cooks it for you.  I wouldn't even like fiddling with a big piece of liver either. tongue  tongue  tongue

She doesn't like liver because of the B L O O D.....
She makes it for me though! The sight of blood and dripping blood, is a no no.

35 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Today we had cavatappi with ricotta and mozzarella baked in a casserole.

The rest of it 3/4's went to the neighbor!

36 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Niagara Visitor


UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today we had cavatappi with ricotta and mozzarella baked in a casserole.

The rest of it 3/4's went to the neighbor!  
What's cavatappi?  

I had a great salad of mixed greens, cuke, tomato, avocado, radish, water buffalo cheese curds (new taste for me) and some calamari (frozen, breaded and done in the oven)  Yumm!

P.S. on edit.................. I asked Ms. Google, and she explained what cavatappi is. LOL Ms. Google knows everything!



Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More information)

37 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:11 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
HELLO!

Yoo Hoo! Hey! WHERE IS EVERYBODY????

LOL

OK, so now you know I'm baaaccccckkkkk........

I'm glad to see everyone stepped up to the plate and kept the forum occupied. Thanks!

I got home at midnight last night (Saturday) and I've been trying to get everything in order. I still haven't unpacked my bags ~ but they'll be fine sitting on the floor of the bedroom until I get darn good and ready to deal with them (or I run out of clean clothes and have to do laundry.....). The automatic irrigation system Dane has set up DID NOT cooperate so I had to spend hours this morning making sure everything got a good shot of water. The only things that really seemed to take a beating in the heat are my herbs. But, hey, there are worse things than having to trim and baby a bunch of potted plants back to life.

I didn't do much cooking while I was gone, only what was absolutely necessary. I did buy a bunch of deli stuff for meals ~ let's just say it'll be a long time before I set foot in a grocery store to buy potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, salad bar stuff or deli chicken.

I did as much cleaning as I could in the 4 days I was there but didn't feel a bit terrible about abandoning Dane to work by himself. He knows I'd rather supervise a hired hand and he's cheaper than I am. So, he'll continue on by himself and I'll give him all the credit for doing a great job. When the house sells, however, I will NOT have any problem being the one to spend the extra money! LOL

38 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:13 pm

NormM

avatar
Welcome back Beth.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

39 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Wow!.... you drove all that way by yourself?? I wouldn't unpack either.
Did you bring back those chickens with you? Nice to have a few egg layers just for you and Dane.
Anyway, welcome back Beth....

40 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Supper was rubber bullet meat over noodles and gravy... ahlah ...Boston Market frozen dinners. Yuck!
Had coconut custard pie, and Tina had her own bone, but spit it out.
All that dental work, and the grinding and tooth making, and OHhhh Ohhhh! It all fell out of her mouth! I told her stay Away from screw in the gum / jaw. Learn to GUM your food.
Now 2700.00 for one tooth, will be another 2700.00 for the tooth that was supposed to be a sidekick to attach the original tooth to.

Like Dane.... she is eating soft stuff; like jello and ice cream and soup.
Her next appt. is wednesday, but she will be on the phone tomorrow screaming.

41 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
No, Jimmy, I'm a WUS.....I took a flight from Andrea's (Indianapolis) to Orlando.

Dane has the car in Ohio and is continuing to work to get the house ready to sell. He's such a trooper! I was more than happy to be the one to return to our little courtyard villa in Florida to check on the plants and drive around the city in my golf cart ~ a hard job but one of us had to do it! LOL

I didn't even cook tonight. I did go to the grocery store and picked up a nice rib eye steak but when it got to be time to start the grill, I was just too tired. I'd say it's 'jet lag' but I came from the exact same time zone! I'm just tired from all the excitement of surviving Dane's accident, buying a car and traveling.

Maybe tomorrow I'll decide to cook something ~ but, then again, I may use the same excuse to go pick something up.....

42 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:No, Jimmy, I'm a WUS.....I took a flight from Andrea's (Indianapolis) to Orlando.  

Dane has the car in Ohio and is continuing to work to get the house ready to sell.  He's such a trooper!  I was more than happy to be the one to return to our little courtyard villa in Florida to check on the plants and drive around the city in my golf cart ~ a hard job but one of us had to do it!  LOL

I didn't even cook tonight.  I did go to the grocery store and picked up a nice rib eye steak but when it got to be time to start the grill, I was just too tired.  I'd say it's 'jet lag' but I came from the exact same time zone!  I'm just tired from all the excitement of surviving Dane's accident, buying a car and traveling.  

Maybe tomorrow I'll decide to cook something ~ but, then again, I may use the same excuse to go pick something up.....

Oh, Great. You owe it to yourself to reward ( YOU ) and to realign all that bad stuff ( and thankfully is behind you now ). Somewhat, anyway. Thank God, Dane is mending, and maybe now, you can sit and realize, that maybe this will make you appreciate you are still able to rant but harmonize together.

43 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 am

Bugster2

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was rubber bullet meat over noodles and gravy... ahlah ...Boston Market frozen dinners. Yuck!
Had coconut custard pie, and Tina had her own bone, but spit it out.
All that dental work, and the grinding and tooth making, and OHhhh Ohhhh! It all fell out of her mouth! I told her stay Away from screw in the gum / jaw. Learn to GUM your food.
Now 2700.00 for one tooth, will be another 2700.00 for the tooth that was supposed to be a sidekick to attach the original tooth to.

Like Dane.... she is eating soft stuff; like jello and ice cream and soup.
Her next appt. is wednesday, but she will be on the phone tomorrow screaming.  

Jimmy, did Tina have an implant? I am an expert on implants. All of my dentists, periodontists have told me that you can't get an implant in one day, contrary to what the ads say. It takes at least 6 months to a year for the bone to grow around the post otherwise the implant is loose and can come out. Is that what happened to Tina?

We had a chimney sweep come in and clean our chimney for the new owner. Bad news. We have to have the chimney lined because there are some gaps between the bricks. Fire hazard. Cha-ching, cha-ching.
Poor Joe. He has been having some bad shoulder pain. I finally convinced him to go to Urgent Care and get checked out. They sent him to the hospital for some x-rays. We found out too late that the hospital is out of our network. I wish the hospital had told us. Now we might get stuck with the whole bill. Anyway, Joe has some vertebrae in his neck that are collapsing pinching the nerves. Got to see the primary and then an orthopod. They will try injections into the disk first to see if it works on the inflammation. It worked on his lower back.
Those mystery bugs are out in full force eating me alive. Got bites all over me and one in my belly button. I am glad to be moving away from them. I can't even sit outside on cement without getting bit.
I actually cooked for the first time in a few weeks: carne asada tacos with pico de gallo.

44 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was rubber bullet meat over noodles and gravy... ahlah ...Boston Market frozen dinners. Yuck!
Had coconut custard pie, and Tina had her own bone, but spit it out.
All that dental work, and the grinding and tooth making, and OHhhh Ohhhh! It all fell out of her mouth! I told her stay Away from screw in the gum / jaw. Learn to GUM your food.
Now 2700.00 for one tooth, will be another 2700.00 for the tooth that was supposed to be a sidekick to attach the original tooth to.

Like Dane.... she is eating soft stuff; like jello and ice cream and soup.
Her next appt. is wednesday, but she will be on the phone tomorrow screaming.  

Jimmy, did Tina have an implant? I am an expert on implants. All of my dentists, periodontists have told me that you can't get an implant in one day, contrary to what the ads say. It takes at least 6 months to a year for the bone to grow around the post otherwise the implant is loose and can come out. Is that what happened to Tina?

We had a chimney sweep come in and clean our chimney for the new owner. Bad news. We have to have the chimney lined because there are some gaps between the bricks. Fire hazard. Cha-ching, cha-ching.
Poor Joe. He has been having some bad shoulder pain. I finally convinced him to go to Urgent Care and get checked out. They sent him to the hospital for some x-rays. We found out too late that the hospital is out of our network. I wish the hospital had told us. Now we might get stuck with the whole bill. Anyway, Joe has some vertebrae in his neck that are collapsing pinching the nerves. Got to see the primary and then an orthopod. They will try injections into the disk first to see if it works on the inflammation. It worked on his lower back.
Those mystery bugs are out in full force eating me alive. Got bites all over me and one in my belly button. I am glad to be moving away from them. I can't even sit outside on cement without getting bit.
I actually cooked for the first time in a few weeks: carne asada tacos with pico de gallo.

Tina's dental work will be attached permanently to two teeth that are on each side. Drilled and hooked with wires, then covered to hide the wires.
She called the dentist and asked for an earlier appt. The girl said he was booked, so I told Tina to say, the cap he installed two weeks ago, fell out.
That got their attention.

They will NOW take her tomorrow at 12:00. Their lunch hour.


Hope everything goes ok for Joe. We wish him a speedy recovery from his treatment.

45 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Jimmy wrote:She doesn't like liver because of the B L O O D.....
She makes it for me though! The sight of blood and dripping blood, is a no no.


She's a real doll for cooking liver for you if the blood grosses her out, Jimmy!  I have to agree with her that a big hunk of liver doesn't exactly appeal to me either.  Sure smells good though.

                                                                   

46 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Crybaby

avatar
I made a big pot of  lima beans for dinner last night that I cooked with a big ham shank. Down here, lima beans (also known as butter beans!) are often served as a main dish over rice just like red beans, which is just how we had them. Made them just like I make my red beans and they were absolutely delicious. I couldn't remember the last time i made them as a main dish from dried beans but Brian asked that we have them more often -- the smell of them cooking nearly drove us crazy!

We both like lima beans but normally I buy a really good local canned brand of limas, Trappey's, and cook them with bacon, onions and garlic. The canned beans already have bacon in them but adding some fresh bacon is a must. I always add about 3 or 4 stalks of chopped celery to my fresh beans which I did with the butter beans as well -- I never do that when I make canned lima beans but I think I'm going to do that next time when I make a couple of cans for a side dish.

I'd planned to make meatballs and marinara but realized right off the bat that I'd probably poop out before I got all that finished and we'd end up with half a dinner. Since I had the meaty ham shank in the fridge, I figured I'd throw together a pot of beans so they could cook while I took my time making meatballs for another night. Then I'll just have to make a pot of marinara to complete the meal.

I'd never added hot sausage to my meatballs before but had planned on doing so the next time I made meatballs. I had a 1-1/2 lbs. of ground meat and used about a generous 3/4 lb. of hot sausage I removed from the casings. I cooked a couple of test patties before I formed my meatballs to check my seasoning. They really turned out good and Brian really liked the addition of the sausage, too. The only bummer was we had run out of fresh parsley so I had to use dried -- I really like the lightness a bunch of fresh parsley adds to a meatball but I wouldn't let him drive to the grocery just to get parsley!  I told Alexa to add fresh parsley to our grocery list. I go crazy if I don't have both fresh parsley and fresh cilantro in the fridge at all times. Those green bags I use keep it looking good for a couple of weeks, as long as I wrap each bunch in a couple of paper towels. I'm one of those people who wish groceries didn't spray water on some of the fresh veggies like they do today -- I think it helps to make them go bad quicker unless you really get them dried off before storing them.

By the time I finished forming the 24 meatballs and cooking the beans on the stove for a couple of hours, my back was killing me so I went upstairs to sit in bed for a while with my back propped up on a ton of pillows. I'd done all my chopping for the beans and preparing the meatballs while standing up at the island so I was really hurting. Convinced myself it wouldn't take me that long so why lug everything to the table to sit down and do my chopping -- which is why my back was loudly singing by the time I sat down at the table to form the meatballs.  Things always seem to take me longer these days than I anticipate; I just move a lot slower with my back hurting 24/7. Brian stirred the beans for me every 20 minutes or so to prevent them from sticking and after one last hour of simmering, I went down to serve dinner and they were perfectly cooked.  Enjoyed my butter beans with a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc while he had beer with his.  He told me this morning he can't wait to have leftover beans again tonight -- not a bad review when he wakes up thinking of last night's dinner! queen



Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

47 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Welcome home, Beth!  I don't blame you for being tired after all the work I'm sure you did cleaning up for the sale.  Did you get Robin and Ben to come back and get all their stuff out? Sure hope so as an empty house is a lot easier to clean.

We missed you around here. It's always a lot quieter around these parts when you're gone so we're all glad you're back!  

48 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Bugster2

avatar
Crybaby, my mother used to cook butterbeans with a shank and eat them with cornbread and green onions. That was her ultimate comfort food.

49 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:Crybaby, my mother used to cook butterbeans with a shank and eat them with cornbread and green onions. That was her ultimate comfort food.

Good idea for tonight -- Brian loves cornbread!  I'll make some Johnny Cake (cornbread in a pan instead of muffins).  And you'd laugh, Debbie -- I was also out of green onions as I told Brian I'd have chopped up some green onions to put on top of our beans if I'd had them. Had to use garlic chives instead.

Thanks to you AND your mom, Debbie, for a good addition to tonight's leftovers! bom


I used to wait until I'd cooked a half shank portion ham to make beans but I guess about 5 years ago or so, a local ham company (Chisesi's Pride, pronounced Cha-Say-See) started offering a nice ham shank with a decent amount of meat. Spotted them in the meat case one day and was tickled pink. Used to be about $3 - they're up to about $6 or $7 now but they're still well worth it. I like to use a ham shank when making fresh greens, too -- mustard greens, collard greens or turnip greens. Brian's not too keen on fresh greens but occasionally, I make a pot of them for myself.  I don't exactly cry when eating them all myself -- AND I get all the pot liquor, too!!!




Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

50 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Love your kitty cat Avatar, Norm -- you're keeping us on our toes. The last one was really cute, too!

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum