Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 am

Bugster2

Well, did we have a rude awakening this morning. We were on our way to Temecula for the final walk-through when we decided to stop at McDonald's for an egg mcmuffin. We got three and a coke. The bill was $14.50. I almost passed out. Nothing at McD's is worth that. The last time I had one it was only $2.00. Hard lesson learned. McDonald's is history with us.
I had a pleasant surprise during the walk thru: The coat closet extends under the stairs and can be used as a pantry for my appliances. The house is dirty though. Everything needs scrubbing from the fridge to the drawers. I really can't unpack till I do clean the house.

177 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:16 am

bethk

Admin
Imelda HL wrote:

Costco had good roast chicken too, $4.99 for a big fat chicken, it can serve for 4 to 6 persons. Peaches are in season, next Monday we are planning to peach farm and pick some of them, I hope we can have fun there as the temperature will be in the 90'F

Until 2 pm I still had no idea what for dinner today, until I saw a video of baked zucchini boat, so decided to cook it, I had 2 big fat zucchinis in my fridge, I stuffed them with browned sausage, cooked couscous, mayonnaise, cheese, Dirk ate 2, I only had 1 and am stuffed with it, they are good

Imelda, your stuffed zucchini look so tasty! I've made them a number of times. Zucchini are really great as an edible container for any stuffing. Now that you've made one you'll find many more things to use as stuffing. Sometimes I'll use ground beef and pour over some marinara sauce and cover with mozzarella cheese, other times I've used leftover shrimps with vegetables and made a cream sauce. Just about anything is good.

I usually use the little (6" - 8") size for 'individual' servings. Zucchini are so easy to scoop the seeds out to make the 'boat', way easier than a hard winter squash. And because they are so mild flavored you can change the taste with the filling ingredients.

178 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:22 am

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:Well, did we have a rude awakening this morning. We were on our way to Temecula for the final walk-through when we decided to stop at McDonald's for an egg mcmuffin. We got three and a coke. The bill was $14.50. I almost passed out. Nothing at McD's is worth that. The last time I had one it was only $2.00. Hard lesson learned. McDonald's is history with us.
I had a pleasant surprise during the walk thru: The coat closet extends under the stairs and can be used as a pantry for my appliances. The house is dirty though. Everything needs scrubbing from the fridge to the drawers. I really can't unpack till I do clean the house.

McD's now mail out coupons in the 'junk mail'......apparently you've been tossing the flyers. And you are right ~ the prices have sky rocketed from when we were regularly eating there. I remember when it was cheaper for Dane to stop at McD's for a 'sausage McMuffin w/cheese' than it was for me to make it at home for him to take to work. I think they were on special for a buck. (But they got him with the price of his large coffee at the time.....)

Dane's been in Ohio since the first of June cleaning and painting and doing regular maintenance on our house to get it ready to sell. Hopefully everything will be 'new owner clean' by the time we list it. I just kept thinking of how I would be so embarrassed if someone thought I had lived in filth.....

179 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:01 am

Niagara Visitor

Leftovers for me last night.  I made a salmon Wellington on Saturday, and finished that.  Made a mistake, though.  I re-heated it in the micro wave, should have done it in the oven.  The puff pastry was not really nice, because it was soggy.

180 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Well, did we have a rude awakening this morning. We were on our way to Temecula for the final walk-through when we decided to stop at McDonald's for an egg mcmuffin. We got three and a coke. The bill was $14.50. I almost passed out. Nothing at McD's is worth that. The last time I had one it was only $2.00. Hard lesson learned. McDonald's is history with us.

McD's now mail out coupons in the 'junk mail'......apparently you've been tossing the flyers.  And you are right ~ the prices have sky rocketed from when we were regularly eating there.  I remember when it was cheaper for Dane to stop at McD's for a 'sausage McMuffin w/cheese' than it was for me to make it at home for him to take to work.  I think they were on special for a buck.  (But they got him with the price of his large coffee at the time.....)

Dane's been in Ohio since the first of June cleaning and painting and doing regular maintenance on our house to get it ready to sell.  Hopefully everything will be 'new owner clean' by the time we list it.  I just kept thinking of how I would be so embarrassed if someone thought I had lived in filth.....

Dane has my deepest sympathy. Just been there and done that. The new place is filthy and I get to do it all over again. We almost filled the 22 foot dumpster with junk we got rid of.

181 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I made the same thing the other day Imelda but I left mine in the oil a little too long and it got a little burnt. It was still good though

I made a Banh Mi sandwich for our dinner today. It was almost all gone before I got around to taking a picture though.

Love, love, love banh mi! Looks super, Norm.

Is that your little Smart Car in your avatar? Cute, especially in black & white!

182 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:12 pm

NormM

Thank you. No it is not my smart car. I saw it with the wind up key and took a picture of it when it stopped. The key was turning when it was moving.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

183 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 pm

bethk

Admin
No supper tonight. I made bacon and egg with hash browns for my brunch and I had some peach salsa with tortilla chips at around 4:00 (because when I went to reach for something else on the pantry shelf I knocked the bag of chips in my face.....)

So, I'm just not hungry. If I want something later I'll probably just have some of the leftover chicken breast and crackers.

184 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Dane's been in Ohio since the first of June cleaning and painting and doing regular maintenance on our house to get it ready to sell. Hopefully everything will be 'new owner clean' by the time we list it. I just kept thinking of how I would be so embarrassed if someone thought I had lived in filth.....

That's surely not the case anymore today, as I look at houses for sale that contain lots of photos of the inside of the house. I am amazed at how dirty and disorderly peoples' houses are, and that they aren't embarrassed to let the realtor take photos of it like that for everyone to see! And these aren't cheap houses either! I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye that have someone see my house in such a condition -- I'm no Hannah Housekeeper but sometimes things are dragging around and a tad disorderly, but the house is not a shambles of dirt and disorder -- much less let photos be taken of my home for the world to see when it looks like that! I showed Brian one the other night and he was amazed -- the owners (or tenants, I guess) had so much junk and disorder in the house that it was hard to see the details. Brian could not believe it! I was laughing as I'm always trying to get him to look, as it makes our house look so good!

185 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:Dane's been in Ohio since the first of June cleaning and painting and doing regular maintenance on our house to get it ready to sell. Hopefully everything will be 'new owner clean' by the time we list it. I just kept thinking of how I would be so embarrassed if someone thought I had lived in filth.....

That's surely not the case anymore today, as I look at houses for sale that contain lots of photos of the inside of the house. I am amazed at how dirty and disorderly peoples' houses are, and that they aren't embarrassed to let the realtor take photos of it like that for everyone to see!  And these aren't cheap houses either!  I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye that have someone see my house in such a condition -- I'm no Hannah Housekeeper but sometimes things are dragging around and a tad disorderly, but the house is not a shambles of dirt and disorder -- much less let photos be taken of my home for the world to see when it looks like that!  I showed Brian one the other night and he was amazed -- the owners (or tenants, I guess) had so much junk and disorder in the house that it was hard to see the details.  Brian could not believe it!  I was laughing as I'm always trying to get him to look, as it makes our house look so good!  

I saw a house the other day that actually sold. It looked like a borderline hoarder lived there. All this junk everywhere inside and out. You couldn't see the forest through the trees. I would have been mortified.

186 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:42 pm

NormM

I wanted some fish for dinner but I knew Charlie would not be excited about it so I made a side of Chili Relleno. One was a side for me, the rest was the

whole meal for Charlie. They were the only thing he ate.. along with some tortillas and salasa.

187 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:50 am

Bugster2

I saw something interesting on the news. It said that if you make $117,000/yr in the SF Bay area, you are considered low income. What does that make me? Below the poverty level? Amazing.

188 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 am

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:

Imelda, your stuffed zucchini look so tasty!  I've made them a number of times.  Zucchini are really great as an edible container for any stuffing.  Now that you've made one you'll find many more things to use as stuffing.  Sometimes I'll use ground beef and pour over some marinara sauce and cover with mozzarella cheese, other times I've used leftover shrimps with vegetables and made a cream sauce.  Just about anything is good.

I usually use the little (6" - 8") size for 'individual' servings.  Zucchini are so easy to scoop the seeds out to make the 'boat', way easier than a hard winter squash.  And because they are so mild flavored you can change the taste with the filling ingredients.

Thanks Beth, I'll cook it more often, I'll try marinara sauce next time, and of course with meat, I like to have breakfast sausage in my fridge, whenever I ran out of idea what to cook, it came to rescue, easy prep and mix

Today I tried Ina Garten Shrimp/corn fritters, I think she used lobster meat, actually corn fritter is also a popular Indonesian snacks, it has more ingredients, it has cabbage, carrot and some other spices, the one I  made today was more simple but as good as the other.

189 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:19 am

bethk

Admin
Your corn shrimp fritters look good, Imelda.

When I was growing up on the farm, one of the meals we had was Corn Fritters and Side Pork. It was a huge favorite of my 3 brothers and me. The side pork is what they call Pork Belly now days and it was cheap....thick slices of fatty pork that got broiled until all the fat rendered off and you were left with chewy strips of fresh pork. Ours usually came from the packing house butchers and had some of the pork skin on the edge, which was inedible....but full of pork-y flavor to chew on.

The corn fritters were simply fresh corn, cut off the cob, and mixed with a couple eggs, flour, baking powder and mixed until coated. Our fritters were usually cooked in a bit of Crisco in a cast iron skillet until golden brown....much like a puffy pancake full of corn kernels. We'd eat them with pancake syrup. Mom or Dad would do the cooking and had a hard time keeping up with requests for "MORE, Please!".

But the meal was inexpensive and filling.....and one I still make for myself occasionally.

190 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Your corn shrimp fritters look good, Imelda.

When I was growing up on the farm, one of the meals we had was Corn Fritters and Side Pork.  It was a huge favorite of my 3 brothers and me.  The side pork is what they call Pork Belly now days and it was cheap....thick slices of fatty pork that got broiled until all the fat rendered off and you were left with chewy strips of fresh pork.  Ours usually came from the packing house butchers and had some of the pork skin on the edge, which was inedible....but full of pork-y flavor to chew on.

The corn fritters were simply fresh corn, cut off the cob, and mixed with a couple eggs, flour, baking powder and mixed until coated.  Our fritters were usually cooked in a bit of Crisco in a cast iron skillet until golden brown....much like a puffy pancake full of corn kernels.  We'd eat them with pancake syrup.  Mom or Dad would do the cooking and had a hard time keeping up with requests for "MORE, Please!".  

But the meal was inexpensive and filling.....and one I still make for myself occasionally.

Pork belly is on of the favorite foods in Chinese/Asian cuisine, they roast it until the skin get crispy or they braise it in soy sauce, my favorite too, but I don't eat it often now, Dirk likes the crispy skin pork belly, pork belly is one of the expensive pork parts sold in Asian store

here is the video how to make roasted crispy pork belly

https://www.recipetineats.com/chinese-crispy-pork-belly/

this one is homemade by a friend of mine

this is slow braised pork belly in soy sauce, we usually cook it on special occasion, birthday or Chinese new year meal

191 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm

bethk

Admin
Both of those look wonderful, Imelda. The first is most like what I grew up with, although we always started with big, fat slices and let all the fat render out until it was almost crispy all over with just a bit of the chewy fresh pork. It always got a heavy sprinkle of salt and, in Ohio farm fashion, dipped it into KETCHUP or pancake syrup. Heck, we ate ketchup with almost everything! LOL

192 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:44 pm

bethk

Admin
No supper tonight....again.

Today was Ladies' Luncheon at the Country Club down the street. I had their appetizer size 'fish fingers' which is actually four really large pieces of cod or haddock, breaded in corn flakes and deep fried. I gave one piece to Ana in exchange for some of her house made potato chips, ate two pieces and brought one piece home that I may or may not reheat in the toaster oven later in the evening. I'm not hungry in the least.

193 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:30 am

Niagara Visitor

It's 4:21 in the morning here, and I can't sleep................... Forgot about that bugger, caffeine at dinner last night.  It was my sister's granddaughter's high school graduation, so we went out for dinner.  I had a really good, nice and spicy Jambalia.........and then three cups of coffee.  Went to bed about 10:30 and woke up about 2 hours ago and now can't sleep.  The jambalia  was really good, but I thought that it would have a tomatoey base, but it was with cream.  I must look it up in my Paul Prudhomme cookbook.

My alarm is set for 6, I volunteer in a local hospital coffee shop on Friday mornings, don't know how I'll be making those bagels etc. without falling asleep.   Gonna go back to bed, maybe fall asleep now.  Darn caffeine, I normally order de-caf.

194 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:29 am

Bugster2

If I drank 3 cups of coffee I wouldn't sleep for days.

195 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:29 pm

bethk

Admin
Well, Lore, at least you know why you are unable to sleep!

I'm the same. No caffeine after noon, well, maybe some watered down iced tea until about 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon.

Mr. Amazing can drink coffee at any time of the day or night, including espresso as an after dinner treat, and sleep like a log. I swear, if I just SMELL the tiny cup of espresso I'm awake until day break.

It will, however, wear off in a day or two.....or three.....

196 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Well, Lore, at least you know why you are unable to sleep!

I'm the same.  No caffeine after noon, well, maybe some watered down iced tea until about 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon.  

Mr. Amazing can drink coffee at any time of the day or night, including espresso as an after dinner treat, and sleep like a log.  I swear, if I just SMELL the tiny cup of espresso I'm awake until day break.

It will, however, wear off in a day or two.....or three.....

Contrary to popular belief, espresso coffee actually has less caffeine than regularly brewed coffee per serving.

197 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 pm

NormM

Today we had grilled chicken wings.

198 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:41 pm

bethk

Admin
Great looking wings, Norm......love that they have the glaze charred on.

I used the last of the Sam's Club chicken ~ made a big bowl of chicken salad. Shredded chicken, red grapes, lots of celery and a healthy fist full of slivered almonds with a dressing of equal parts Hellmann's, Miracle Whip & Sour Cream, a bit of sugar and a light sprinkle of curry powder.

It's enough for tonight's supper and a couple lunches or bedtime snacks.

199 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a slap sandwich. Slapped some p&p loaf on a slice of bread, and swallowed it down. A beer, and a banana cake slice with butter.
I've been so busy with the house, and the repairs of the deck railings.

All last night computer problems, and I've been doing everything to restore the darn thing.

Today, I get a notice from Comcast that somewhere, a fiber optic trunk was cut, and they were sorry. No one more sorry than me.
I'm on Christine's computer; whilst mine is doing a scan for security.

200 Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:23 am

Bugster2

Jimmy, you can download Malwarebytes for free and it can also scan and remove Malware.

Escrow closed on the house we were selling. Moving out on Tuesday. Packing like a fiend but it can be difficult because I have to leave things out of boxes that we need to use and therefore can't seal the boxes making stacking them hard.

I know that on moving day we are going to be so tired that we won't want to go out even for fast food. Does anybody have any ideas about what I might pack beforehand that we could eat for dinner that night?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum