Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ??

+3
bethk
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

101June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:My niece in Australia wants one too, but she can't find the same brand, so she has to get Phillips multi cookers, it's similar but costs more there, everything costs much more in there.

I cooked red curry chicken (store bought seasoning) with my IP, it turned out a bit too tender, I need to reduce the pressure time.. I'm still learning how to use my pot

Who cares if the meal is a bit too tender? I'll bet Dirk ate it up quickly and didn't even notice! LOL

Every new appliance deserves a 'learning curve' and you'll perfect the Instant Pot in no time at all. It's good that you're not afraid to use it.

102June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="Imelda HL"]"Happy dance".. somehow I'm able to post pictures without having to resize them,...

Are you kidding, Imelda?!  WE'RE the ones doing the happy dance, as we'd be lost without the pictures of your food!   June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 3326752767  June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 2790317363

The soup was a good example -- it looked amazing. I could eat at your house every day of the week, as I've never seen anything you've made or described that I wouldn't eat.

103June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Debbie, I guess this means you've decided to go ahead with your new house, right? Did your roommate decide to move with you?

104June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning (for some odd reason) I suddenly remembered a restaurant we use to go to in Ohio. The chef / owner had a signature salad dressing that I just loved: Honey Tabasco. I happened to go to a Food Expo where he was one of the 'new' chefs demonstrating and he showed how to make his dressing. The honey counteracts most of the heat of the Tabasco but you still get the flavor. It's a simple cider vinegar 1 to 2 ratio with a neutral oil (I used grapeseed) and how ever much honey and Tabasco you like. I make it in a small jar and just shake it up to keep it mixed.

I tossed together some salad stuff ~ last of the iceburg lettuce, celery, carrots, tomatoes & sugar snap peas. I seasoned a chicken breast with some cajun seasoning and cut it into small cubes before browning it lightly and allowing it to come to room temperature. I've got enough that I reserved to have the same meal for a lunch later in the week or toss on trash night ~ depends upon my mood. I know it's not going to sit in the refrigerator for more than a couple days.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 06_17_10

105June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Breaded chicken tenders, corn, baked potato and a salad for tonight.
We had to rent a 22 foot dumpster for all the junk we tossed. I almost had a fit looking at all of the stuff we still have. You would think we were hoarders.
We tossed the mattress from the master bedroom. I had all kinds of junk from a safe to a WWII rifle under there. When we finally got the mattress off I found many cat barf spots. I pulled out the Bissell and have been working on those.
The new buyer signed off on all the contingencies so all is clear except for the final walk-thu. The house is a mess. I hope she understands.

106June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good luck, Bugster, for an uneventful closing and moving on to better living. You've been through the mill on this one but you're almost at the end of the tunnel.

No supper tonight. I went out with a couple neighbors for a late lunch and it was enough to hold me for the night.

107June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:My sister asked about cooking a brisket and wondered if she should try to find the pressure cooker in the basement. I said to try the instant pot. She said she heard that people didn't like it. She said it wasn't supposed to work as well as a regular pressure cooker OR slow cooker. I disagreed and offered to let her try mine to see how she liked it but went to the store and got an imitation IP and likes it just fine.

We have, ( actually Tina has ) a total of 6 different size pressure cookers.
J U N K as far as I'm concerned! We hadn't used one in years..... Rolling Eyes

BTW.... Norm, who is the pretty young lady in your avatar?

108June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had one grilled leftover steak from Fathers day, and two uncooked steaks. I shoved those babies in the grinder, and made chili and beans over angel hair spaghetti.
Kind of a little expensive chili; considering The steaks were fillet mignon. June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 2876911673

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Img_0911

109June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:09 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had one grilled leftover steak from Fathers day, and two uncooked steaks. I shoved those babies in the grinder, and made chili and beans over angel hair spaghetti.
Kind of a little expensive chili; considering The steaks were fillet mignon.  June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 2876911673

I bet the chili was very tasty.. I have never bought fillet mignon, too expensive for our budget

I cooked Rendang, Indonesian Spicy beef with my Instant Pot, I did not do it right, I still have to adjust the cooking time, this time I used instant seasoning.

Rendang is one of the famous Indonesian authentic foods, if you all want to try to cook it, I can mail you the seasoning, just add beef and a bit o d coconut milk, let me know
Wink

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Dscn0914
June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Dscn0913

110June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, the girl is my son's cousin.  She grew up across the street from us and went to high school where I taught.  Now she is in her 30's and lives in Spain.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

111June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make a skillet full of Sausage Gravy that I will divey up into single serving containers and stash in the freezer until the mood strikes me (and I have fresh biscuits available).  I used Hot Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, chopped onion, red pepper flakes, a splash of worcestershire sauce and whole milk ~ with a bit of salt and lots of black pepper.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 06_19_10

112June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had one grilled leftover steak from Fathers day, and two uncooked steaks. I shoved those babies in the grinder, and made chili and beans over angel hair spaghetti.
Kind of a little expensive chili; considering The steaks were fillet mignon.  June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 2876911673

I bet the chili was very tasty.. I have never bought fillet mignon, too expensive for our budget

I cooked Rendang, Indonesian Spicy beef with my Instant Pot, I did not do it right, I still have to adjust the cooking time, this time I used instant seasoning.

Rendang is one of the famous Indonesian authentic foods, if you all want to try to cook it, I can mail you the seasoning, just add beef and a bit o d coconut milk, let me know
Wink

There is a video of Rendang on allrecipes.com that made the dish look fairly easy to cook, although with a long cooking time. I would think cooking the beef in a spicy pepper paste and then adding coconut milk to simmer for hours would, in theory, take a lot of the heat out of the chili peppers. The recipe on allrecipes mainly called for hot banana peppers ~ I would imagine you, Imelda, would use some Thai bird chili or some other equally hot ingredient.

Cooking with coconut milk is not in my normal meal rotation, much more of an 'exotic' ingredient, although it is much easier to purchase than it ever was in the past. I remember when cooking with wine was thought of as being only for the rich and famous! LOL

This is one of those times when I'd like to fly to Arizona and have a few meals with Imelda so she could tell me about her family foods and explain the food customs.

Maybe if my lottery numbers EVER win big, Imelda, you'll find me ringing your door bell......

113June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight was the remainder of the chicken and salad fixin's from earlier in the week. I decided to switch it up and add an avocado.....perfectly ripe and very creamy.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 06_19_11

114June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm

NormM

NormM

The last two meals I cooked, both were on the grill. One was salmon with a mango tomatillo salsa and the other was steak with twice baked potatoes.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 20180618
June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 20180619

115June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Rib Eye ~ ~ YUM !!!

116June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice easy B H L T C & O.'s on wheat bread and toast....
B acon
H am
L ettuce
T omato
C heese
O nion thin slices

I guess you can call it a Hero? If I'm thinking correctly, somewhat?

117June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:
The last two meals I cooked, both were on the grill. One was salmon with a mango tomatillo salsa and the other was steak with twice baked potatoes.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 20180618
June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 20180619

Norm. ..... Delicious!

118June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had frozen: PF Chang's shrimp lo mein. Too tired to cook anything else. Most of my food is packed too. I am trying to eat down the freezers and now just have seafood and some chicken tenders. What I don't want to lose is my turkey gravy, shrimp base, demi glace. I guess I will buy a large cooler and pack it with ice.

119June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:32 am

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy

120June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing sounded good to plan for my supper.

It's difficult enough to think of things to fix for two but supper for one is even MORE difficult when you're really indifferent and you just don't feel like doing much.

Then the pizza ads came on TV.

So, it was decided ~ but instead of ordering delivery I'll do the 'faux' thin crust pizza: flour tortilla for the crust, tomato sauce w/Italian seasoning for pizza sauce and toppings of my choice ~ bacon, green olives and onion. I checked to be sure I had some mozzarella cheese and I do!

So everything is prepped and at the ready.

Phew! Glad my hard decision of the day is done......

121June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Nothing sounded good to plan for my supper.

It's difficult enough to think of things to fix for two but supper for one is even MORE difficult when you're really indifferent and you just don't feel like doing much.

Then the pizza ads came on TV.

So, it was decided ~ but instead of ordering delivery I'll do the 'faux' thin crust pizza:  flour tortilla for the crust, tomato sauce w/Italian seasoning for pizza sauce and toppings of my choice ~ bacon, green olives and onion.  I checked to be sure I had some mozzarella cheese and I do!

So everything is prepped and at the ready.

Phew! Glad my hard decision of the day is done......

Beth, we use those whole wheat pita bread pockets, and we split them in half. Inside up on a baking sheet, but oiled on the outside that is placed on the sheet. Then we add the tomatoes and toppings, and bake them at 350F. Till the cheese melts and bubbles.

I mentioned them to Tina today as a matter of fact. She has a hankering for stuffed peppers and so they are in the toaster oven right now.

Don't worry! Those pita pizza's as we call them, will make a great bed time snack tonight!

122June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My tortillas are small, 6" across, so I made two of these for my supper.  It was 'Just Right!'

Jimmy ~ I'm a huge fan of super thin & crispy pizza crust so these flour tortillas are just the thing for me.

June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 06_20_10

123June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had a piece of a round steak, done in the oven, just with some onion soup mix................. overdone to the point of almost inedible.  I was busy all day, put the frozen piece in before I left, turned the oven on using the delay start, set the temp and the cooking time.  It started all right, I have no idea when, though, nor when it turned off again. LOL.   I'm going to have to practice, or heaven forbid, actually read the owner's manual!

124June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Tuna on rye tonight.

125June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? - Page 5 Empty Re: June 2018, Whats for Dinner ?? Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

[quote="Niagara Visitor"]I had a piece of a round steak, done in the oven, just with some onion soup mix................. overdone to the point of almost inedible.  I was busy all day, put the frozen piece in before I left, turned the oven on using the delay start, set the temp and the cooking time.  It started all right, I have no idea when, though, nor when it turned off again. LOL.   I'm going to have to practice, or heaven forbid, actually read the owner's manual![/quote

I'm like you, Lore.....I avoid the instruction manual every chance I get.

I think it's a learning disability with me. I have no problem following directions for a recipe or sewing a pattern (for the most part) but when it comes to following directions for a piece of equipment it just turns into "Greek" for me. It's interesting that #1 daughter has the same problem but #2 daughter can follow directions, even to the point of being the 'go-to' person I call when there is something to assemble, like Sauder 'furniture-in-pieces' that instruct you to put "A" into "B" and use part "C" to tighten.......yet she is the one who just doesn't 'get' how to cook something and can never remember simple family recipes, choosing instead to call me at the last minute to tell her again how to make something.

I guess we all have our talents.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum