Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

+4
Bugster2
cookingirl
Imelda HL
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

226What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:43 am

Niagara Visitor

https://www.niagaraparks.com/events/event/sip-sizzle-savour/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sizzle&utm_content=image-ad

Going to a local food extravaganza today! Hosted by and in one of Niagara's great parks this afternoon. We have had a really wet summer here, and our West is burning up................ but, there's no climate change, right????

There will be 7 food stations and various wineries for tasting their wines. Yumm!

227What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wow! That's quite an assortment of locally grown foods! I'd probably need to stash about 5 or 6 zip bags in my purse and a backpack to carry the variety out with me.

Are you going with your sister? Somehow, this just screams, "SISTER outing" to me.....

228What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

Not sister this time. She works part time in a very exclusive retirement home, and is doing three nights 11-7 am. this weekend. No time to go out. JUst work and then sleep.

I'm going with a new friend in my condo building. Another woman alone, a little older than I, but she's fun too. She is from Sweden and has lived and worked in many other parts of the world. We are both very adventuresome when it comes to food. I said that I was crossing my fingers for good weather........... "And if it rains we have umbrellas and raincoats, right?" was he attitude. I agree, it's summer, we're washable.

229What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

Not sister this time. She works part time in a very exclusive retirement home, and is doing three nights 11-7 am. this weekend. No time to go out. JUst work and then sleep.

I'm going with a new friend in my condo building. Another woman alone, a little older than I, but she's fun too. She is from Sweden and has lived and worked in many other parts of the world. We are both very adventuresome when it comes to food. I said that I was crossing my fingers for good weather........... "And if it rains we have umbrellas and raincoats, right?" was he attitude. I agree, it's summer, we're washable.

230What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here, today, Is the Day of the Chicken..... LOL

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Img_0612
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Img_0615
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Img_0613
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Img_0614

231What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Birthday to Tina!

232What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Not sister this time.  She works part time in a very exclusive retirement home, and is doing three nights 11-7 am. this weekend.  No time to go out.  JUst work and then sleep.

I'm going with a new friend in my condo building.  Another woman alone, a little older than I, but she's fun too.  She is from Sweden and has lived and worked in many other parts of the world.  We are both very adventuresome when it comes to food.  I said that I was crossing my fingers for good weather........... "And if it rains we have umbrellas and raincoats, right?" was he attitude.  I agree, it's summer, we're washable.

Sounds like the right kind of friend to go to a food event with! Hope you have / had a great time!

Tell us ~ what was the best thing (besides wine) that you had???

233What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm frying up the second half of the ham slice from the other night.....last of the corn ~ and a microwaved/toaster oven baked sweet potato. Same old, same old.....

234What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here, today, Is the Day of the Chicken..... LOL

I'd slap some good homemade marinara and soft mozzarella on that chicken and call it 'Chicken Parm'.........Looks good!

235What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here, today, Is the Day of the Chicken..... LOL

I'd slap some good homemade marinara and soft mozzarella on that chicken and call it 'Chicken Parm'.........Looks good!

Thanks Beth .They all said it was good. I seasoned it with just the right amount of salt and pepper. Tina made the lemon / butter / wine & garlic sauce.
I ate the edge of a crispy one. It was ok.

236What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Not sister this time.  She works part time in a very exclusive retirement home, and is doing three nights 11-7 am. this weekend.  No time to go out.  JUst work and then sleep.

I'm going with a new friend in my condo building.  Another woman alone, a little older than I, but she's fun too.  She is from Sweden and has lived and worked in many other parts of the world.  We are both very adventuresome when it comes to food.  I said that I was crossing my fingers for good weather........... "And if it rains we have umbrellas and raincoats, right?" was he attitude.  I agree, it's summer, we're washable.

Sounds like the right kind of friend to go to a food event with!  Hope you have / had a great time!

Tell us ~ what was the best thing (besides wine) that you had???

Food, I have to admit, was at best ho-hum. Plentiful, but the perch I had last night from my son was better than what they served. It was overdone, with a real hard panko style batter. The affair was out in a park, hundreds of people, and I have no idea when that fish had hit the fryer. They had good sausages, portobello or beef sliders which were really good, I didn't eat the bread. They had a great potato salad, a really nice coleslaw with apples in it. I will do that next time I make a slaw. There was a wild rice and steel cut oats risotto which to me was a tasteless blob like glue surrounding that wonderful wild rice. Couple sitting across from me agreed about the risotto. Chicken was good as well as the ribs. I was surprised and disappointed in the lack of vegetables. The only warm veggies were green beans. I would have liked to see something like eggplant parm or something with zucchini. Zucchini are soooo plentiful right now, having some stuffed with rice, cheese etc. would have been wonderful for anyone who likes vegetables.

Oh well, it was in a lovely place, a nice outing for a summer day. Weather was perfect, the park beautiful, so all in all, rally no complaints. But, they should ask me for help with the menu, right????

237What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:31 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:  But, they should ask me for help with the menu, right????

Absolutely correct! I'd email them with suggestions, at the very least.......Hahahahahahaha

238What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am making a spiced chicken on the grill. It really good. It has cinnamon, allspice etc. with a pineapple rum glaze.

Friday evening, a man driving a Tesla, was coming down the hill at the end of the street. He lost control of the car and drove into our neighbors garage. The whole garage caught on fire and was destroyed and burnt two BMW's along with the Tesla. What a mess. Brought back memories when our house burnt down and when the car drove into my apartment. I can still smell it.

239What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am making a spiced chicken on the grill. It really good. It has cinnamon, allspice etc. with a pineapple rum glaze.

Friday evening, a man driving a Tesla, was coming down the hill at the end of the street. He lost control of the car and drove into our neighbors garage. The whole garage caught on fire and was destroyed and burnt two BMW's along with the Tesla. What a mess. Brought back memories when our house burnt down and when the car drove into my apartment. I can still smell it.

The guy in the tesla will get away with it saying, " the carpet mat got stuck under the gas pedal!" ..... Uh, how can that be? when if the carpet is stuck UNDER the pedal, that would make it so that one could not push the pedal down to make the car go faster? no?

I could see having flash back memories Deb. Happened to Tina from the flood from Hurricane Dianne in 1955.
She can't look at the rescues on the tv now with Harvey in Texas.

240What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:58 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

All I can say is:

If Michelle, aka Crybaby is still reading.. please stay safe.. Safe from Harvey.. Put that generator to good use...and stay high up in your house....((hugs))

241What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Niagara Visitor

Making something new out of leftovers today. I had some grilled veggies from a grocery store's takeout counter. Some scallops defrosted that have to be used, so I added some more spices, some evoo, chopped a portobello mushroom that needed to be used up, mixed in some grated mozzarella and stuck it in the oven. Fingers crossed that it's edible!

242What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Hebrew National Beef Salami and Bologna that Tina bought in the deli at a Wegmans in Hanover NJ on her way to her uncles.
She made me a salad.
Dessert will be later on at bed time snack, of bagels toasted and buttered; and with peach jam dolloped on top.

243What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I rescued 3 bananas before my husband threw them in the trash. I decided to make a banana cake. The recipe was a little odd: bake at 275 for 1 hour. In my oven, on the bake cycle it took 2 hours. POS. The cake turned out good but I discovered I no longer like the taste of bananas.

Boy, Debbie -- the list of things that don't bother your stomach and that you like gets smaller all the time. Were you just not in the mood for banana cake or did you seriously decide you no longer like bananas?

I'd probably benefit from losing the taste for a couple of things I really like -- like a big ol' bagel in the morning slathered with too much cream cheese. And with some of that grated Simply Organic Citrus A'Peel on top! Yum.

Did you ever try some of that stuff? It's really good and I think it's great as a salt substitute when grated on top of plated food. I know Joe was watching his salt at one time so I thought you might give it a try. Brian and I are now formally addicted to it on top of bagels with cream cheese. It's a neat grater bottle, too, which is reusable. The labels actually peel off the glass container easily once you get an edge up and can be used to grate something else.

244What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy wrote:Really looks good Norm. Tina mommy just loves meat sauce. So do my kids. I will eat it, but I am more of a meatball kind of person

We like meat sauce a lot, too, Jimmy. I guess it stems from making dinner after work, as it's a lot quicker to put together a meat sauce to cook for dinner than it is to knock out meatballs and then cook them in homemade red sauce. Don't get me wrong, as we love meatballs too, but we definitely have them less often due to expediency. I've made a lot more meatballs since I retired, though, as time isn't the problem it used to be.

245What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm,

I loved the article about NY stealing KC's steaks, not to mention Ruth's Chris Steak House, an old client of mine when I was in advertising (prior to Ruth Fertel selling the chain), changing the name back to KC strip at the restaurant opened in KC!  Very clever and amusing article. "Condescended to by someone from Wichita!" slayed me!

LOVED that you shared a picture of the cow "statue" as well.  Reminds me of N.O., as it's amazing what becomes iconic over time.  Glad the cow is back!

246What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I ran across a recipe for tuna cakes. Never had them before. So, what goes with it? Sides? Probably something similar to what you would serve with crab cakes or fish cakes.

Tina makes us salmon patty's / cakes . We almost always have those scalloped potatoes. The boxed ones that you add milk and reconstitute the potatoes.
If not, then she fries thin slices of potatoes. Macaroni and cheese as a side is good too. Pickles to nibble on too.

Great minds think alike: I laughed at myself, as I initially thought "Pickles!" because I like pickles with tuna fish salad. Then came macaroni and cheese.

My mom used to make codfish patties too; they were really good. We called them codfish balls back then and thought nothing of it. Until she put some in my brother's lunch when he was in high school (he hated leftovers so I'm surprised she did that). Turns out someone asked him what he was eating for lunch and laughter ensued when he replied, "Codfish balls." My mom suggested he call them codfish patties when he was out of the house; we were all snickering, of course, when he was telling the story. Sounds so tame today, doesn't it?

My friend, Linda, was appalled when she heard that my mom used to make salmon in tomatdo sauce over rice from canned salmon (Linda doesn't cook), as she gives her dog canned salmon and couldn't believe we ate it! I laughed as I told her it's canned fish and not dog food, despite what she does with it. Brian would never eat it so I've never even purchased a can of it.

247What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:My mom also made salmon patties. She called them coquettes.  I never cared much for them but if you type in tuna cakes at http://www.foodily.com, there will be lots of recipes.

You mean CROquettes, don't you, Norm? Unless those patties were flirting with someone! Razz Very Happy Laughing tongue

248What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Been watching the total eclipse. So cool! They say the next one will be in 600 years. Didn't have any glasses but our plumber (who is working on the shower) did, so we were able to see it.

Debbie, they had on the news that the next one visible in the U.S. will be in 2024. I think they said one will occur in 2019, too, but wouldn't be visible in the U.S. So get those glasses now! There's still a chance to see another one in 7 years; hope I'm still around to see it.

We tried to get glasses way too late. We made one of those little pinhole jobs to view it. It got darker than I thought it would in N.O. Rain held up for it but like Norm said happened to Charlie, it rained shortly after it was over. We certainly weren't in an optimal state for viewing but considering how rainy and cloudy it's been, I was tickled we could see it at all.

249What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:How can Liam be so old so fast?  Just like everything else these days.......But what a little cutie!

I agree, Jimmy.  Liam is truly adorable.  The kid doesn't take a bad picture!  And he's always smiling, the sign of a happy baby for sure, who is smiled AT a lot, too.  

bethk wrote:I'm home.  I'M HOME!  I'm home in my quiet little house without other people and without constant stuff going on.........I'M HOME!!!

Glad you're back, Beth.  You made me laugh here, though, as you sounded like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz (one of my favorites; I think I can quote every line!).

bethk wrote:I flew out Friday afternoon and, as usual, the flight was delayed by an hour ~ not really that terrible but it sure did make for a fast trip to the first 'Meet & Greet' for Dane's class reunion.  There was no time to stop at the house to freshen up, just drive to Buffalo Wild Wings and sit there not knowing a soul as he mingled and got caught up with a few old classmates.  I didn't really mind and at least I was able to get some food since I hadn't had anything all day.

We have a "don't leave me alone too long" rule when we go to these kind of things but it sounded like you deserved to sit still and get something to eat!  Flying is exhausting these days, even if everything runs on time.

bethk wrote:On the way home from the 'Meet & Greet' he dropped the plan to have family over on Sunday for a cookout ~ he had already invited 14.  This came up before I even had a chance to survey the condition of the house and think about how food could be prepared in the short time frame.  What a nightmare!  But, when I got up Saturday morning I had formulated a plan in my head and I greeted him with, "You know the rule ~ if you invite them, YOU clean!"  The house wasn't awful, just lived in.  But the old rule stands and I have to say, he did do his fair share of whipping the place into shape.  He hadn't thought about people being IN the house (like maybe they might want to use the bathroom......DUH!) He's been there 3 weeks doing maintenance, most recently repairing the stucco on the garage.  Guess what the bathroom sink condition was.....AAAArrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!  But it all got taken care of.  Poor Jake got called into the ranks and he wasn't really happy but he was a real trooper.  I just ignored his comments the same as I ignored his mother's comments when she was 14.  Hahahahaha

After the house work was taken care of we all went to the store.  It was HIS party and no way was I going to let him get out of grocery detail!  

LOVE your rule about you invite them, you clean!  We have the same kind of rule around here, but Brian rarely did that great a job when I invoked the rule, so I'd end up sounding like Attila the Shrew to get him to go over it again or listen to me fuss while I went over his work.  He's making up for it now, though -- he does tons of stuff around the house, a lot more than I do.  But then again, I did most of that stuff for over 30 years, though he always helped more than most men ever did.  My girlfriends and the chicks at work were always jealous that Brian actually helped me at all, as their husbands really didn't do much of anything around the house.  

bethk wrote:Needless to say, by the time we went to the Class Reunion, I was pooped!  But it was a lovely evening and everyone was nice.  We had a good time and, more importantly, since I hadn't remembered to eat because I was 'ruling the roost' and ordering everyone around with cleaning house, the food was excellent!  They had a buffet with beef tips & noodles, fried chicken, some sort of fish (had a great sauce) and a bunch of side dishes.  By the time we got home I just fell into bed and slept like a baby.

Sunday morning I got up and started on the food for the cookout.  We had slider burgers, casing hot dogs, pulled pork sliders, cole slaw, potato salad (store made), baked beans (Bush's), chips and a bowl of cherries & berries for dessert.  We ended up with 10 so Robin & Ben have a dozen sliders and half a dozen hot dogs in the freezer for another meal, as well as leftovers for the week.

I was never so happy for a rest as when I had to leave for the airport at 9:15 Monday morning.  My friend, Barb, picked me up and we had a nice drive home, stopped for lunch at a little German restaurant in Sanford, FL (near the airport).  It was so good to open the door to my house!  And it was even better to fall into MY bed last night. 

Sounds like you whipped everything into shape and got that menu pulled together just as fast as you and Lyn do for one of her shindigs, Beth.  You're awfully good at that.  Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Glad you had a good time at the reunion, Beth.  Helps when everyone is nice and REALLY helps when the food is good, too!  Not surprised at how good getting home was, as it certainly wasn't a restful trip, was it?  It ALWAYS feels so good to get home and sleep in ones own bed -- no matter how much we enjoyed going away on vacation, we were always tickled to get home, especially when bedtime rolled around that first night!

bethk wrote:I had a message when I got home from my neighbor, Jeanie (the lady who does the 'Ladies' Friday Morning Movie & Lunch' with me).  She and her husband, Kermit, have moved here full time.  They got in late Friday with some of their furniture they wanted to keep from their house in Minnesota.  She said if I still wanted her leather couch it was available, as well as the matching recliner.  What a deal she made for it!  But getting everything ready to get MY couch & recliner moved out and her's moved in has kept me busy for most of the day.  I won't go into details (too boring) but suffice to say I've been cleaning most of the day since the furniture is being moved around.  I didn't think it was all that dirty until I started pushing the couch & chairs around the room.  WHERE does all that dust come from????  ((sigh)) 

Congrats on your sofa deal, B.  Did you take the matching recliner as well?  What color is the leather?  If this work on our house is ever finished, and I'm still alive when I pay it all off (started out paying cash but the price grew and grew with the problems we've encountered once they start peeling layers off a 100+ year old house that someone else renovated, I applied for a credit line which we close on this Friday; nice low rate of 3.75% so it beat taking money out of our 401(k)s which would mean paying taxes on the money), I want to buy new furniture for our living room. I could get some recovered but one sofa was already recovered once and I want to get rid of that one, and the other one and a big chair and a half I bought when we got this house 19 years ago! My taste has changed a bit and I want a more modern style sofa that's a bit less imposing than the last one. Might keep the chair and a half for the other side of the room and get that recovered.  Since we will pay off our house in just TWO MORE MONTHS (yeah!!!!), I should be able to put those funds (minus the escrowed money which I have to save for taxes and insurance that we'll now be paying in January and August) towards the repairs we've just made.  So hopefully it won't take too long until I can buy some new furniture. Takes me FOREVER to decide on what I want but I've been thinking of it for several years now so I think I know what pieces I want -- just have to settle on colors for the new sofa  and a print for two of the swivel upholstered chairs I want.  

What do you plan on doing to your place when you sell your house in OH, Beth? Anything you're already thinking of? It's nice you've lived in your place in FL for a while, as it helps you make decisions about what you really want to do instead of acting too fast and regretting it later.

Will try to put together a message for all of you as to what has gone wrong since the "peeling away" of some of our house began. One thing after another though we did have some very good luck along the way (I keep telling myself that).

250What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 10 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 am

NormM

NormM

When the eclipse was under way here, I took a large, deep pot that was black inside and put a shallow layer of water in it. I put it in the yard then with sunglasses watched the eclipse by looking at it's reflection in the water.

It was salmon croquette. It was so long ago, I was thinking croquette was a term in a lawn game played with mallets and balls.

Calvin Trillion is a famous humor writer for the New Yorker and also from Kansas City and wrote a few articles about his home town. Another one followed someone else's article titled "Have I Found the Best Restaurant in the World?" It was about some place in Paris. Calvin wrote the next article titled "No You Haven't" It was about Arthur Bryant's a legendary BBQ restaurant. Arthur was still alive when he wrote that.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum