Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

+4
Bugster2
cookingirl
Imelda HL
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

276What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making the green chile chicken enchiladas for supper tonight. They're the whole reason I roasted the whole chicken last week!

Funny how you get something stuck in your head and you're not satisfied until it's in your mouth.....

277What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sounds like the armadillo cake in "Steel Magnolias". LOL.

Crybaby, did she tell you where her cake recipes came from?

278What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Sounds like the armadillo cake in "Steel Magnolias". LOL.

Crybaby, did she tell you where her cake recipes came from?

I never thought to ask her, Bug. I just presumed they were hers as the flavors were so delicate and refined; I was so stunned as I was so concerned about how the cake would look -- until I got to her house and tasted some of those divine cakes.

You should be able to find cake recipes you like on the better cake websites, Debbie. Just make sure you read all the reviews, as I find them awfully helpful as to whether or not I WANT to make something and also to read other's suggestions as to how it came out if they made substitutions or what they would change, if anything, when they make it a second time.

I often copy a recipe and put bulleted notes at the bottom from reviewers who made suggestions I want to use/try when I copy it to my recipe file. If I only want to make a change or two, I'll put it in [] brackets next to the ingredient so I not only remember to do it, but I remember it's not a part of the original recipe. Once I make it, I'll go back and make permanent changes to the recipe that I made and liked.

King Arthur also sells some special flours that were really hard to find years ago as well, and they do seem to know their baking more than most. Love the King Arthur's recipes I've tried and they have a help line, too!

279What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I would have wanted the tail to cut into 'Ox Tail' pieces for serving.....LOL

Very funny, Missy. The tail didn't stick out from the body but rather hung down and was "attached" to the front side of the cow. I remember her using lots of butter in the "frosting" due to her needing to sort of feather the cow's hair and she told me it wouldn't be as good a frosting because of that. I don't remember it being bad but I remember the cow's remains after it was cut and missing a bunch of its innards to pieces and I don't remember seeing the frosting pushed aside. Once that freaking cake was made, delivered and repaired, and then moved again to the restaurant, I think I probably was so freaking relieved that I don't remember much about eating any then...

280What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The green chile chicken enchiladas made my mouth smile....it was just what I was hungry for. It's such a simple dish to make....takes longer to chop up the toppings ~ tomato, green onion, black olives, chile creama and avocado. I made a bit of guacamole to go with it since I split the 8 per recipe into two and stuck one dish in the freezer for another time. Sometimes Dane will eat more than two, but not very often. So, tonight he didn't have a choice. I'm tired of leftovers sitting in the refrigerator that just get tossed after a week.

Oh, and Michelle.....re: your comment about the chicken noodle soup in the breakfast/brunch thread ~ I did NOT make noodles at 10:30 at night. I made the noodles the next day for his lunch. When he got home (and woke me up) he just heated up a container of the homemade stock and had that without anything soup-like in it. It's all he wanted and I went back to bed......

But thanks for thinking I was nice.

I'm not.

Hahahahahaha

281What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Let's see. Supper was pizza from Pronto's and an order of meatballs for Tina.

282What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Question: I have a gas cooktop. I occasionally fry foods in my Le Creuset fry pan, like fried chicken. I have a difficult time getting my oil to the correct temperature. It is either too high or too low. What a gas stove needs is a thermostat that turns on and off to keep the temp steady. I use a clip on thermometer on the pan to see the temp. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the temp even while frying? Other than purchasing a deep fryer, I don't have a clue other than manually turning the flame up and down which really isn't great way to do it.

283What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't think there is any such thing as a home version of a gas thermostat.....When I want to do frying I use an electric fry pan (usually outside) and once I get my oil at my desired temperature, which I check with my Thermapen and NOT the temperature dial on the pan handle, then it stays pretty steady.

I think most restaurant deep fryers are electric, also, while their cook tops are gas.

284What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Question: I have a gas cooktop. I occasionally fry foods in my Le Creuset fry pan, like fried chicken. I have a difficult time getting my oil to the correct temperature. It is either too high or too low. What a gas stove needs is a thermostat that turns on and off to keep the temp steady. I use a clip on thermometer on the pan to see the temp. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the temp even while frying? Other than purchasing a deep fryer, I don't have a clue other than manually turning the flame up and down which really isn't great way to do it.

My mom had a Tappan range, ( stove ) that had one gas burner that had a sensor that you could set the temperature. It worked, but mom always used her Sunbeam Electric frying pan to deep fry.
Like Beth, I use the electric fry pan. Only thing is, the oil level can only be like 3/4 inch high. I just keep turning the food being cooked. It's usually chicken.

285What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane brought home a half bushel of Ohio tomatoes for me to process. I thought about making marinara but decided on being a 'wuss' and I ended up just making up 9 pints of tomato juice ~ I can use it to make marinara or I can use as juice.

It reminds me of the days of processing BUSHELS of tomatoes, lots and lots of quarts of tomato juice to use through the year. Personally, I'm happy to have just 8 pints to use and not trying to find room for large quantities of quarts of tomato juice, quarts of tomato sauce, etc. I just do not cook like that anymore.

Since I no longer have my 'canning kettle' ~ it was gifted to DD#1 ~ I ended up using my spaghetti pot/lobster pot with the insert to process my juice for a mere 10 minutes. I've already heard the tops snapping down so I know, once cooled, they can simply be kept in the pantry until needed.

It took a while and now that I'm done I'm ready for a cocktail (or two) before I start supper.

286What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper will be some pork tenderloin, sliced into little rounds and grilled ~ then slathered in Korean BBQ sauce. Trader Joe's California blend rice and steamed green beans.

I'm tired from my afternoon of canning even though it wasn't all that much ~ it still was more work than I'm normally doing on a Thursday afternoon.

287What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Our tomatoes out here aren't worth eating, never mind turning into sauce. In the last 25 years, I have only had one tomato that actually tasted like a tomato. I got it at a farmer's market. It was called an Israeli tomato. Never seen one since.

Tonight is fried chicken fingers with potato salad. The temp outside is 106 and it is too hot to cook anything else. Looks like we may get some rain but I'll have to wait and see.

I just read this warning:

"The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers has advised the Tyler County office of Emergency Management that the flood gates were opened to 100 feet at 3:00 pm CSDST. River levels will rise to near seventy nine feet. With additional rain fall accumulations, a potential elevation could reach near eighty two feet. All residents ... who have not already evacuated must do so immediately. Anyone who chooses to not heed this directive cannot expect to be rescued and should write their social security numbers in permanent marker on their arm so their bodies can be identified. The loss of life and property is certain. GET OUT OR DIE!"

I think it gets the message across. LOL

288What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 pm

NormM

NormM

I saw a recipe for Chicken stroganoff that I wanted to try but looking back on other dishes I'd made recently, thought I had a lot of pasta and thought I'd so potato salad made with sour cream and Ranch dressing mix. They were both good but I guess there is a reason noodles go with Stroganoff. I also made an Amish cake. It was pretty simple to make and good.What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 20170839
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 20170838

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

289What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was no biggie tonight. We had Chinese carry out. Pork fried rice, and egg rolls.
Apple pie and ice cream later, for dessert!

290What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just a note!
I started the September post / thread ....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum