Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow!! April already Dinners.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
NormM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 20]

351 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 013

352 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Beth. Apricot sauce goes good with blueberry glaze too.

Tonight, we had Chinese take out. Pork ribs , pork fried rice , egg rolls, and fried noodles.
Duck sauce was scant, because a certain girl knocked the whole container upside down.
I made 2 comments before it happened sayinf, "Now careful with this container, it's slippery.
and 5 seconds later.... Zip...*BOOM*. All sticky on the counter.

353 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:57 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Bethk wrote:Jimmy, at least your pie LOOKS like a pie. Remember the 'blind baked' crust that was docked with a machete? It left so many of us speechless!

Was that the same one with the ashtray in the pic?!!

now that you mention it, yes, I believe you are correct.  LOL

I'm laughing just remembering her! You know how people, myself included, use dried beans to blind bake a crust? I remember one of her pics showed a pie crust all bubbled up in its pie plate with a colander on top of the "blind baked" crust full of dried beans! What the heck was she smoking and/or drinking?!

And if you're going to cop info from the Internet and present it as your own thoughts or your take on some topic, for goodness sake, don't copy it from Wikipedia -- anyone can post anything on there! Some of her talks about the "history" of some things (Creole cooking was a particular masterpiece of hers; it was all I could do not to reply) made your head spin around on your shoulders. What a piece of work! And remember Beth -- it was a DIRTY ashtray full of butts in that picture! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me; it was like a scene from Saturday Night Live! She could get nasty, too, if someone called her on something so it was best just to read her nonsense, look at the funny pictures and laugh your butt off!

354 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:45 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Wings and thighs are my favorites parts. i don't know why everyone who makes frizen chicken pot pies puts ALL WHITE MEAT on the label like that supposed to be a good thing.

I like wings but thighs are my favorites (and I put both white and dark meat in my chicken pot pies, too -- Brian prefers white meat but will also eat the dark, thank goodness). We're in the minority, Norm, as most people in the U.S. prefer white meat chicken. Brian spent more than 30 years in the shipping industry and handled tons of "chicken boats" for his company in the 10 or 15 years prior to retiring, primarily as an agent for Russian clients shipping many, many tons of chicken on each ship to Russia. Most of the available dark meat is shipped to other countries, Russia being a huge user, as they prefer dark meat to white meat, thus the chicken producers in this country get a much better price to ship the dark meat elsewhere. They won't pay very much for the white meat and they get a premium for it in the U.S. so it's not shipped in those quantities.

There's a HUGE cold storage place in N.O. whose account Brian handled for years (he was a liaison between the purchaser who would ship it and the storage place that sold the chicken for the chicken producers) that was decimated during Katrina when power was lost. When we were in Houston for 7 weeks after the storm, I saw a story on TV about Cold Storage (the name of the plant that was Brian's biggest client -- go figure!) and the effort going into cleaning it out. Nothing, as you may know, smells worse than spoiled chicken (which is why, I guess, it makes such good bait for crab traps). Well, you can imagine millions of pounds of chicken off the ice for more than two weeks, which is when they got the manpower and equipment to begin cleaning the place out and disposing of the rotten chicken! (Keep in mind this place was the size of a couple of football fields and housed MILLIONS of pounds of frozen chicken.) The two newsmen, who stayed a good but horribly smelly distance from the plant, said the number of flies were mind boggling (seeing the flies on TV was amazing as there were zillions of them). They also noted that when they went back after filming the segment and entered their hotel, the minute they walked into the lobby, everyone turned around and looked at them. The flies that landed on them had also left the rotten chicken smell on them -- THAT's how many flies there were. They said people immediately started gagging! They disposed of their clothes, shoes, underwear, everything they wore on their body they said, after removing them in their rooms. Bet the hotel played hell getting that smell out of their rooms, too!

355 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:59 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:Having a Mac is much easier..updates come from Apple and no one else.

If you have Windows, the only reliable updates come from Windows, too, Cyn; lots of the newer computers are set up so Windows updates itself automatically when your computer is idle. If they come from someplace else via an email, they're not to be trusted and most users KNOW this, they just don't think about it and click on something too quickly. Adobe and the rest also supply updates directly. I never update anything from an email. Usually, when you use something like Adobe, it will tell you when you use it if there's an update available. Then my security software tells me if it's safe to download something so that's another check.

It's often tempting to fall for one of those emails and some people do it almost automatically without even thinking about it. I got used to ignoring any such message when I was in legal, as the firms put the fear of God into you about not "updating" or "downloading" anything. Infecting a computer that's connected to several networked offices across a state or states is something you don't want to do. Besides, if software is performing fine, there's no need to update until the software itself warns you that they're no longer going to support the "version" you're using.

356 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Congrats, Jimmy, on 50 years! Amazing.

We're pretty proud of our 37 years together, which we celebrate next week! I found the BEST anniversary card a couple weeks ago that I can't wait to give to Brian.

Again, congrats to you and to Tina! Fifty years is quite an accomplishment especially in today's world, where 5 years seems rare! I hope you have fun out with your kids, too.

357 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:20 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Wish I could've had Dane's share of that pork tenderloin with the blueberry sauce, as it sounded and looked divine.

We had pork tenderloin night before last with leftovers last night.  I made that recipe again with the rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, smoked paprika and cayenne on the pork.  Then wrapped it in bacon, browned it well in cast iron and finished it in the same pan in the oven.  Oh, and prior to putting it in the oven, you slather on apricot preserves mixed with Creole mustard -- more delicious than you can imagine.  Quick, easy and delicious.

I had an eggplant I had to use so I sautéed some diced onion and garlic and then peeled and diced the eggplant and added that in.  Seasoned it heavily with salt, pepper and fresh thyme, and finished it by adding and heating some grape tomatoes in it.  At the last minute I remembered I had a little more than a cup of leftover Basmati rice in the fridge so threw that in as well.  It was a hit with both of us, and it came out really, really good.

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

358 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Congrats, Jimmy, on 50 years!  Amazing.  

We're pretty proud of our 37 years together, which we celebrate next week!  I found the BEST anniversary card a couple weeks ago that I can't wait to give to Brian.

Again, congrats to you and to Tina!  Fifty years is quite an accomplishment especially in today's world, where 5 years seems rare!  I hope you have fun out with your kids, too.

Thanks so much. I'm so glad of one thing. That is, that Tina didn't arrange for us to renew our vows at the church.
The way I look at it...."Once is Enough!"... LOL...

359 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Wish I could've had Dane's share of that pork tenderloin with the blueberry sauce, as it sounded and looked divine.

We had pork tenderloin night before last with leftovers last night.  I made that recipe again with the rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, smoked paprika and cayenne on the pork.  Then wrapped it in bacon, browned it well in cast iron and finished it in the same pan in the oven.  Oh, and prior to putting it in the oven, you slater on apricot preserves mixed with Creole mustard -- more delicious than you can imagine.  Quick, easy and delicious.

I had an eggplant I had to use so I sautéed some diced onion and garlic and then peeled and diced the eggplant and added that in.  Seasoned it heavily with salt, pepper and fresh thyme, and finished it by adding and heating some grape tomatoes in it.  At the last minute I remembered I had a little more than a cup of leftover Basmati rice in the fridge so threw that in as well.  It was a hit with both of us, and it came out really, really good.  

Pork tenderloin is about the only cut I can eat that does not have fat. The boneless loin chops are horrible, yet Dane's favorite. I cook them once in a while but I don't know why. There is no flavor, the meat is tough, there is no flavor, it cooks up grey and more like dead tissue than succulent meat, there is no flavor....oh, I know, step down from that soapbox! LOL

360 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:01 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Bethk wrote:Jimmy, at least your pie LOOKS like a pie. Remember the 'blind baked' crust that was docked with a machete? It left so many of us speechless!

Was that the same one with the ashtray in the pic?!!

now that you mention it, yes, I believe you are correct.  LOL

I'm laughing just remembering her!  You know how people, myself included, use dried beans to blind bake a crust?  I remember one of her pics showed a pie crust all bubbled up in its pie plate with a colander on top of the "blind baked" crust full of dried beans!  What the heck was she smoking and/or drinking?!  

And if you're going to cop info from the Internet and present it as your own thoughts or your take on some topic, for goodness sake, don't copy it from Wikipedia -- anyone can post anything on there!  Some of her talks about the "history" of some things (Creole cooking was a particular masterpiece of hers; it was all I could do not to reply) made your head spin around on your shoulders.  What a piece of work!  And remember Beth -- it was a DIRTY ashtray full of butts in that picture!  I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me; it was like a scene from Saturday Night Live!  She could get nasty, too, if someone called her on something so it was best just to read her nonsense, look at the funny pictures and laugh your butt off!

I am trying to figure out who you, and what pie you are talking about.

361 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote: Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 013

You did mention you had a HUGE steak to cook.

WOW! You were right. I think I see steak salad in your future......just looking into my crystal ball.

(cooked to perfection, I might add.....YUM)

362 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
I am trying to figure out who you, and what pie you are talking about.

Bugs, don't you remember that chick from small town Oklahoma (or was it Texas?)....said she was a 'private chef', writer, motorcycle babe, wolf savior, Indian Chief....whatever....

She would post pics of the foods she cooked once in a while. The 'blind baked pie crust' was a true classic, as Crybaby mentioned. The scene around the pie crust was dirty and there WAS a filled ashtray sitting on the countertop next to her baked crust. The pie crust had been 'blind baked' with dry beans (as we know is common). HOWEVER, she did not put a piece of foil or parchment on her crust and then add the beans. She put the beans in a METAL COLLANDER and sat the collander on top of her pie crust. I can still see the three curved legs of the collander where they tore into her crust and then it just bubbled up all over.

Her next effort was of her docking technique - she hacked away at the poor crust, looked like she used a machette instead of tines of a fork.

She and I got into a number of 'discussions', the first being when I finally had all I could take of her so called 'expert' knowledge of the way to cook chili. It got ugly.

Funny, but I cannot recall her screen name. Must be a metal block (and that's OK with me!).

363 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:43 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Let's not forget the scrambled eggs in the filthy cast iron or the naked man in her bed oh he might have been wearing underwear ... That was some weird chick

364 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:45 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks Beth . Steak and eggs this morning. Then dinner leftovers.

365 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Let's not forget the scrambled eggs in the filthy cast iron or the naked man in her bed oh he might have been wearing underwear ... That was some weird chick

It wasn't scrambled eggs in the filthy cast iron pan....it was Jacques French rolled omelette ~ how sad.

Actually, I think the bed man might have been the reason we finally left and started this forum.....so maybe we should have sent her a 'thank you' card.....

Nah.

I'm sure she's as happy to be rid of me and I of her.....

366 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:05 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Thanks Beth . Steak and eggs this morning.  Then dinner leftovers.

You have me wanting a steak salad.....I've got cooked eggs and veg ~ just no steak........((sigh))

367 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:53 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh yeah that's right LOL

It was not long after that the forum shut down

368 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Oh yeah that's right LOL

It was not long after that the forum shut down

Gee, do you think it was because of US??? Hahahahaha ~ nah, can't take credit for that.

It was NOT our fault.

Nope.

Nada.

No way.

369 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:18 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Well the guy who was the head honcho was NOT nice..

Then Rich did not run it very well either,he had to many things going on to care..

It was doomed..

370 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:10 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

AHHHHH... Yes, I remember her. I can't remember the pie crust or cigs, but I remember the man. I actually found her interesting and amusing. Probably not in a way she would like. I have never met anyone like her and I was curious what she would come up with next.

371 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:22 am

NormM

NormM

I remember when she lit out after me because I didn't think putting beans in chili was a bad thing.

One time she thought I lived in Norman Oklahoma.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

372 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:24 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

We have a much better forum now.. it is just a few people who really care not only about cooking, food, but about each other.

That is the difference. Respect and friendship.

373 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I remember when she lit out after me because I didn't think putting beans in chili was a bad thing.

You really did get beat up on a regular basis.....poor guy. And most of it was not even your fault! Someone mentioned they "thought" you said or posted something objectionable.

And let's not even get started on Randy

Hahahahahaha! Boy, THOSE were the days! I'm so very glad to still be in contact with you!

374 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:33 am

Niagara Visitor

I remember the biker chick too! Yes, that was "interesting".

375 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 15 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:36 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

You all are so POLITE.....LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum