Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow!! April already Dinners.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
NormM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 20]

151 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 $_35

This is the exact one I have. It doesn't show the sausage tubes though.

152 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I ran into one our neighbors this afternoon and invited her to supper. She's a widow, 84, and a hoot 'n a half to talk to ~ such a joy to be around! She was tickled pink to be invited for supper even though I warned her I was trying out new recipes.

First recipe was from All Recipes site for 'Rusty Chicken Thighs'...the pic showed bone-in, skin-on thighs and after I saw the rest of the ingredients & decided it sounded good, I printed it out. Turns out the 'recipe' calls for boneless, skinless thighs. Well, guess what? It was DELICIOUS with my bone-in, skin-on thighs. SO THERE! Second new recipe was for a Broccoli Cranberry Almond salad from Cooking Light magazine. It was tasty and, supposedly, lower in calories than the old fashioned Broccoli salad. It did sub some Greek yogurt for part of the mayo and was a lighter dressing, used a tablespoon of honey instead of sugar. It's a keeper. The final new recipe was one another of the neighbors posted on Facebook for a Pina Colada dump cake - pineapple and coconut. Not a success as far as I'm concerned, but was eaten by all of us and the rest got passed out to others in the neighborhood so it's all gone from MY kitchen. LOL Green peas and boxed Rice-a-Roni Pilaf completed our meal....

Forgot to take a pic until after we were done eating so I just shoved all the serving dishes together and thought that would have to do.....

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160411_184124451

I think my oven is baking too hot again....thought it was fixed the last time I used it. I think it's an intermitant problem.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160411_184050853

153 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:How the heck did you manage to peel those eggs? Every time I try to peel soft-boiled eggs the shell sticks to the white tearing it up. Plus, they are hot to hold.

actually, they are pretty easy to peel, easier than if they were hard cooked.

Soft boiled eggs ~ bring a pot of water to a boil, add 1 Tbsp. salt. Slowly add cold, large eggs (straight from the refrigerator) and as soon as the water returns to a boil set the timer for 5 minutes. At five minutes, drain and run cold water to stop the cooking. When you can handle, carefully tap all around to crack the shell and, beginning at the large end (where the air bubble is), start to peel away the shell UNDER THE RUNNING FAUCET....maybe not icy cold water, but just so you can hold the egg without burning yourself. Get the water to run between the white and the shell membrane and it will peel right off because the egg is still soft enough to squeeze enough to let the water separate the membrane. Just be careful not to squeeze too much or you'll end up with a handfull of egg yolk!

Easy peasy. I do it all the time.

154 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:

fried cabbages and sausage.

OMG - those sausages look delicious! I love just about any kind of sausage.

(did you call Norm or did he call you with the menu plan?????)

155 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Well this was a real chore.  I made a garlic sausage recipe that I wanted to try and it took almost all day. In fact they are still an hour away to being done and it is 6pm right now.  I used a KitchenAid meat grinder and stuffing tube and they are almost like toys compared to a dedicated sausage machine. I will definitely invest in the proper equipment if i ever think about trying this again.

I saved the beef trimmings from the last 3 briskets I smoked and was going to add them to the pork trimmings from the ribs i did the other day but when I went to the freezer to get them, they were gone and the freezer is half full with tamale stuff. I got a pork shoulder to round out the meat. The sausage tube was too small for the bigger diameter sausage so it was really hard and time consuming to stuff those casings.  Oh well, when I fried up a small batch to taste for seasoning, it tasted really good. Hope the smoking will make them even better. I decided to smoke them instead of just plain cooking like the regular recipe.  The recipe is from Anne Burrell.

Well, those look amazing. I'm sure they taste great like everything else you make.

But it reminds me of the one and only time I made gyoza (pot stickers). What a PITA! They tasted great, I loved them, but the ones I bought from Gordon's Food Service frozen foods store were just as good and just a short drive away.

I love when Imelda make hers and posts pics. She makes it look so easy.

And everytime I think I want to make my own sausage, I'll refer to Anne Burrell's recipe site and make free-form breakfast sausage patties. Good enough for me!

156 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The KA meat grinder is wimpy but it is all I have. Norm, you are a braver man than me. I wouldn't even try to stuff sausages.

157 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:05 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, I went to Cabela's to get the casings and took a look at the equipment they had there.  Charlie thinks I should just go to one of the mom & pop sausages places around here and just buy what I want and not mess with all the bother.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

158 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 pm

NormM

NormM

Here they are after two hours in the smoker at 230º. They will plump up again when steamed for a few minutes but most of these will get frozen until later.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 DSCN3430_zpshtwranej

159 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those look mighty tasty, Norm. I'd be eating them from hand if I were you! Nice job.

160 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:58 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh they look good . I am buying mine lol

161 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, I went to Cabela's to get the casings and took a look at the equipment they had there.  Charlie thinks I should just go to one of the mom & pop sausages places around here and just buy what I want and not mess with all the bother.

It's great if you can find the right sausage flavor / texture / spices at a butcher shop, but still, there is nothing so great, as making your own sausage.

Tina ( when she worked ) made hundreds of pounds of Italian sausage weekly at the stores she worked in, and they had the seasonings for the sausage, already mixed in bags for like 100 lbs at a time. The hot and the plain. She would grind the meat, then in the mixer hopper to add the seasonings, and then she had to load the stuffer cylinder, and the electric gear drive, would press the plunger rod like on a cookie press. ... A PITA.....because there was a lot of cleaning to be done to clean and sanitize the machines. Now, the sausage in most supermarkets, don't even make their own sausage.

Some stores still do their own, and Tina gets the casings packed in a container with the speed load rings all ready cleaned and ready to slip on the sausage tube. The butcher just marks the container special / with a tag pork and the price.
Like $1.78 . Three slips of casing will do approx. 36 feet. Laughing

I have to start making my own again.

162 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:59 am

NormM

NormM

I recently discovered Krizman's that's just down the street from where I lived until I was 12. They have great kielbasa. I also tried the sausage they sell to Arthur Bryant's BBQ restaurant, and frankly, that is why I thought about trying to make a recipe I liked better. I wasn't impressed with that one.

Cassie told me about Bichelmeyers and I went there for a brisket but didn't try their sausage yet. Their brisket was Choice and Costco had prime at a lower price.

163 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 am

NormM

NormM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I steamed the sausages after they came out of the smoker and they plumped up again and were very good.

164 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, I wish you were my next door neighbor. Why is it that people who are in to cooking live so far apart?

Jimmy, those green tongs are wonderful for my pasta and taco shells! Haven't tried the can opener yet but it looks fun. It is a little different than my last KR opener. My old one opened like scissors. The can top pinchers are easier to use on the new one vs. the old ones. Now I have to train my DH to use the pop top can opener. His fingers are too bug to get under the ring.

165 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, I was watching Bizarre Foods and saw a restaurant in your area (sort of). It was in St. Louis. Called Smokie-o's. They have pig snoots and other bbq items. I wondered if you had ever been there.

Beth, I cooked and peeled soft boiled eggs just the same way as you. PITA! I switched to an egg poacher which does basically the same thing without the shell.

166 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 12670635_957298654346571_4083089605941755934_n

My take on egg rolls.......... affraid  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 2876911673

plus I plan on fried chicken with the grease leftover..

167 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Did you tempura batter them, Barb? Heck, I like anything that is deep fried. I just refuse to do it. The mess is one I can do without ~ I'll go out for most all my deep fried 'gotta-haves'. All except for one of these days I'm gonna make Jonathan Waxmans steamed/fried potatoes w/herb salt. I've been dying to try those ever since the first time I read about them.

And, thank you, Barb ~~~~ Thank you very much. For making me go to the seafood counter at Fresh Market today. I only stopped there because it's ground round day...but I've wanted a 'shrimp something' ever since the last time YOU posted your fab pics.

I saw a recipe for Shrimp Lo Mein in my new Cooking Light magazine (so Mr. Amazing knows I'm not killin' him with calories.....) and I just switched out the veg for what I had ~ carrots, pea pods, onion, celery, red pepper, mushrooms). Got rid of the bits of this 'n that so it's a good thing. And now I'm stuffed.

I just served right out of the wok. So much easier with slippery stuff.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160412_175012411

More than ample servings!

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160412_175335676

168 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
Beth, I cooked and peeled soft boiled eggs just the same way as you. PITA! I switched to an egg poacher which does basically the same thing without the shell.

That's right, Bugs ~ same thing.

I guess I just have to face it......I have magic in my fingers! LOL

169 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 4056093967  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 940422454  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 3593629538  wish to heck we had that store here.

Yes I bought tempura mix..I have gotten so lazy, some things are good in a mix.

I found a easy no mess way to fry..My 5qt DO. No grease jumps out and makes a mess on my stove top.

170 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh and you are welcome lol...

171 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I ran into one our neighbors this afternoon and invited her to supper.  She's a widow, 84, and a hoot 'n a half to talk to ~ such a joy to be around!  She was tickled pink to be invited for supper even though I warned her I was trying out new recipes.

First recipe was from All Recipes site for 'Rusty Chicken Thighs'...the pic showed bone-in, skin-on thighs and after I saw the rest of the ingredients & decided it sounded good, I printed it out.  Turns out the 'recipe' calls for boneless, skinless thighs.  Well, guess what?  It was DELICIOUS with my bone-in, skin-on thighs.  SO THERE!  Second new recipe was for a Broccoli Cranberry Almond salad from Cooking Light magazine.  It was tasty and, supposedly, lower in calories than the old fashioned Broccoli salad.  It did sub some Greek yogurt for part of the mayo and was a lighter dressing, used a tablespoon of honey instead of sugar.  It's a keeper.  The final new recipe was one another of the neighbors posted on Facebook for a Pina Colada dump cake - pineapple and coconut.  Not a success as far as I'm concerned, but was eaten by all of us and the rest got passed out to others in the neighborhood so it's all gone from MY kitchen.  LOL  Green peas and boxed Rice-a-Roni Pilaf completed our meal....

Forgot to take a pic until after we were done eating so I just shoved all the serving dishes together and thought that would have to do.....

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160411_184124451

I think my oven is baking too hot again....thought it was fixed the last time I used it.  I think it's an intermitant problem.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160411_184050853

Just saw this..Looks great to me..

172 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had pizza Tina picked up on way home from PA. She went to visit her aunt Marge.
She picked up fresh hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts too.

Ate that, and then had 4 lobster ravioli's. With butter. Now for KK's for dessert.

173 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:57 pm

NormM

NormM

St. Louis is over 200 miles from here. The last time I was there, Charlie was about 3 or 4 and we went to the Zoo.  We ate at a restaurant that was at the top of a tall building that rotated and they had the snootiest patrons I have ever met.

174 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:St. Louis is over 200 miles from here. The last time I was there, Charlie was about 3 or 4 and we went to the Zoo.  We ate at a restaurant that was at the top of a tall building that rotated and they had the snootiest patrons I have ever met.

Maybe they were Snooty because you are a KCK and not a KCM..???

hahahahaahahahaha....

175 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers ~ cleaned out the refrigerator.....

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 7 IMG_20160413_170903440

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum