Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made!

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
cookingirl
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 18]

51March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:Between now and Monday 11am,I have do major cleaning lol..The cable box is behind tons of crap I keep sending to the once office.. March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 2855670339  Then onto my bedroom,piled high here and there with clothes and piles of shoes..

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha (No way can you have more piles of clothes and shoes that Miss Tina Has ) .... OMG! it is funny in a way. She's got the pants that fit pile....then the pants that don't fit piles. Then the give to someone pile, and the shoes?? OMG... All stacked or sat under the bed. Under my bed...a few pots and pans where I stub my toes, or they get jammed in the gears of the electric bed up and down levers.

I call it "Tina's Clothing Jungle!"..... Tons of that stuff was when Gabe moved in with us, and it was a rush to empty his room to paint it, and ready it for his transition to live here with us. ( well now he lives in the house of the good shepherd ) He can sxxt the floor like a sheep there from now on! hahahaha

And what does poor old man jimmy have for storage?? One little closet for my clothes and she flips out when I don't hang my robe in the closet. Ha Ha ...I would, if I could get through the jungle of clothes. Plus I have to walk and shuffle sideways sometimes. So don't feel bad. You're not the only one!

I totally forgot about Gabe. Is he going to stay permanently in the nursing home? He probably should. You two don't need the burden at this time of life especially since Tina has her own health issues.

52March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugs he said no he is not coming back to the house.

dinner plans changed lol, I might grill some chicken breasts and chops. I made up some tuna fish I will make patties with them.

53March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm suppose to meet the neighborhood ladies for lunch at the Chicken Salad Chick restaurant. Don't have a clue what I'll give Dane for supper. Usually when I go to a late lunch, like today, I'm just in no mood for food later. I'll probably have an apple between when I fix him something and bedtime.

But grilled wings sounds really good. I think I have some in one of the freezers. Maybe Sunday. Maybe not......

54March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Tons of that stuff was when Gabe moved in with us, and it was a rush to empty his room to paint it, and ready it for his transition to live here with us. ( well now he lives in the house of the good shepherd ) He can sxxt the floor like a sheep there from now on! hahahaha

I laughed so hard at your last sentence that Brian asked me what the heck I was laughing at. You are too much, sir!

55March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bug wrote:I totally forgot about Gabe. Is he going to stay permanently in the nursing home? He probably should. You two don't need the burden at this time of life especially since Tina has her own health issues.

Check out Jimmy's message about Gabe in the February Dinners Made thread, Bug.  It's almost the last entry, and it's worth reading.  How they put up with that mean old man I have no clue....

56March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Tons of that stuff was when Gabe moved in with us, and it was a rush to empty his room to paint it, and ready it for his transition to live here with us. ( well now he lives in the house of the good shepherd ) He can sxxt the floor like a sheep there from now on! hahahaha

I laughed so hard at your last sentence that Brian asked me what the heck I was laughing at.  You are too much, sir!

Yeah! In a way it is funny. I was in the garage, and there are like 5 boxes of his depends. I asked Tina,"What should we do with these depends?"
She laughed, and said"Maybe you should wear them, ( kidding ) and that way, when you lay in bed, and you have to pee...you can load your diaper to warm your @$$ like Gabe did!" .... I burst a gut laughing! Laughing Laughing

57March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We laugh a lot, too, Jimmy, and there's nothing like it. We always laughed a lot over the years but now that we're older, we laugh about being older and what comes with it. Lord knows aging provides a lot of material!!!

58March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I read about Gabe. Reminds me of my parents. Although when my mother went into a home it was only $5000/mo double occupancy. It didn't matter. The old lady in the other bed never was awake.

59March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 IMG_1378

Tuna patties..Gosh they are good.. I love you I love you

2 (5oz cans) white Albacore tuna in water, well drained
2 eggs
1 tbs Dijon  mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup celery, finely minced
1/2 cup bell pepper, finely minced
1/4 cup onion, finely minced
black pepper to taste

horseradish sauce .

Last edited by Barbara101 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

60March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Funny, but the only way I can do canned tuna (or in the pack now days....) is cold.

As a kid I hated tuna noodle casserole, although I've made it for Dane as he's quite fond of it.  I don't like tuna patties or salmon patties.  I do like crab cakes ~ probably because I can't afford them except for rare times.

But if I did like cooked tuna, those would be a choice for sure!  They look nice and crispy on the outside and are holding together nicely.

Good job, Lady!

61March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks..I use a lot of canned Tuna ,,The good tuna lol.
Pretty much any fish can be made into salad or patties.JMO..

62March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so it didn't come out of the pan as the most beautiful Lemon Sunshine Cake I've ever made....but it tastes as good as it always does ~ and it's TALL ! By the time it gets sliced and drizzled with fresh blueberry sauce no one will care what it looked like on the cake plate.

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 IMG_20160305_072056506

I used a thin serated knife to loosen the cake because I gave my good smooth blade slicer to DD#2. So, stuff happens. If I was entering a bake-off cake I'd start over. But family doesn't care. And if they do, well, they can bake a cake the next time! LOL

63March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:57 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, one day a while back it struck me that there are no telephone poles or wires on our street. Everything is underground. The cable wires and optic fiber are underground too. No squirrels or birds to mess with them. I don't know about what happens to them underground but a couple years ago someone came out to put in a new cable. I thought it would be a crew and equipment involved. It was a guy with a shovel and he was done before I could finish making a pot of coffee.

Cassie grew up here in Kansas City while I was away teaching so she knows about stuff that happens around here since I left. Last year when I was looking for a meat market, she told me about a popular one in the Hispanic part of town and I went there on Wed. to get a brisket to make some corned beef for
St. Pat's. I got a whole one and cut off about 6lbs. of the flat for the brisket and so today I am going to do the rest of it in the smoker.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

64March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

The Mexican market near me is a little scary so I don't think I would buy meat from them. I doubt they would have brisket anyway. This place has things like chicken feet, testicles, meat for menudo - something large, white and spongy-looking and other mystery meats. There is a cloud of fruit flies swarming in front of the door. I wouldn't have any problem with buying produce because I can always wash it.

65March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:19 pm

NormM

NormM

When I was little, it was known as the "rough" part of town. I don't know for sure but I think the population of that area is more mixed than it was. The brisket was cryovac sealed and there were no flies or anything that looked weird.

66March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It isn't in a bad part of town at all but in the middle of where all of the Hispanics live so it really looks like something that you might find in Mexico. It does the business so it must not bother the locals. The meat counter looks clean but it is what is in the case that turns you off. The trays full bull's balls and chicken feet and other items. I think if it had piles of dead crickets and grasshoppers for sale that I might never return, but in parts of Mexico it is considered good food. Across the street is another carniceria which is about the size of a closet but is spotless. They sell hot food at lunch and it smells heavenly but I have no idea what the food is. It isn't what you would get in a Mexican restaurant. They sell these huge slabs of fried pork skin or rind. I was watching Andrew Zimmern the other day and he was trying out the menudo at a famous Tucson, AZ Mexican eatery. He took a spoonful and described it as tasting "rectally". From that point forward I will never, ever taste the hangover cure.

67March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:34 pm

NormM

NormM

There is a separate part of the same building there that is a restaurant. It gets high reviews in the 'Best of Kansas City" listing. Their biggest hit are street tacos but they only sell them on weekends. There is a Mexican grocery that sells hot food just down the street a couple miles from here. Charlie and Cassie have brought home food from there and I have been in there a couple of times but I have not checked out the meat counter.

As for brisket, Costco sells prime ones while the others I have been to sell choice and Costco is cheaper too.

68March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is home now. I made her a small dish of soup broth, and a carrot chunk.
Then two tbs. of fresh mashed potatoes with a tsp. of gravy.

I had Manhattan Clam chowder DD bought. I prefer the New England style, but this Manhattan chowder was delicious.
I had oyster crackers with it. I love those little pillows.... LOL

I have no clue for dessert, but I'll maybe have a PB & J on fresh bread that DD brought over for us.

69March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My DH and Roomie love New England style clam chowder and I have tried making it but with no success. Can't find a good recipe.

70March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:54 pm

NormM

NormM

I smoked the large end of a brisket I got at a well thought of meat market but cut off a good part of the thin end to save and brine for corned beef later this month.

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 DSCN3338_zpsomy7yqhu

71March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:My DH and Roomie love New England style clam chowder and I have tried making it but with no success. Can't find a good recipe.

How about the one up there on hwy 101 in San Lois called Splash Cafe'.
They make it and freeze it. It may be supplied in your local supermarket.
Maybe DH and Roomie could take a ride up the coast?

72March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do you mean San Luis Obispo? Maybe some day we will get back up there. It is beautiful but a 4 hour drive.

73March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:14 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had Krispie Kreme donuts for dinner.

74March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:26 am

NormM

NormM

From the Cliff House in Ogunquit, ME. This chowder has been on their menu since 1872.

Ingredients:
1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced
1/2 tsp butter
1 cup onion, minced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tsp The Cliff House Spice Blend (see below)
1 Tb all purpose flour
1 can chopped clams (6 1/2 oz each) ...*I used 2; the juice from two cans makes enough so you don't really need to use the bottle of clam juice unless you want to.
1 1/2 cups Half and Half
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced

The Cliff House Spice Blend
Blend 4 tsp dried parsley, 2 tsp marjoram, 2 tsp. dill, 4 tsp thyme, 4 tsp basil, 4 tsp rosemary, 2 tsp tarragon, 1 Tb all purpose flour, crushing in a mortar if possible. Store in resealable bag to refrigerate.

Directions:
In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown. Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes. Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams.

75March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 3 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:29 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh great recipe . Wonder if you can use fresh clams?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum