Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made!

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
cookingirl
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 18]

276March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have lots of chops and ribs in the freezer.Sunday morning at Food Lion has them marked down so low.

Weird thing is,I plan on making a pie pan cheese cake topped with fruit and raspberry 6oz was $2. strawberry 12oz $2.99.6oz blueberry $3.99..so now I have to go to HT to get blueberry for 2 for $3.

I swear I gave up shoe shopping for food and grocery stores.lol...

277March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I knew I had some vegetables for supper (my favorite part) and I knew Mr. Amazing had mentioned a 'Big Fat Bacon Burger' when I was shaping & freezing burger patties on Tuesday (Fresh Market fresh ground round day) so supper was just about figured out.....the only question was:  Should I do buns for the burgers or spend our carb grams on CRISPY CROWNS???  OK, so it wasn't much of a question!  LOL

The golden beets w/greens were excellent.  It's definately a favorite of both of us.  The asparagus was oiled & seasoned and then cooked on the grill with the burgers.

And lest you all think I'm a 'Meanie' and I don't give HIM the cheese he likes, I took a pic of his plate as well as mine tonight.

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 IMG_20160320_165112517

mine (sans the cheese & bacon)

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 IMG_20160320_165149925

I see the picture. Tell me more about the crispy crowns. Are they store bought or did you make them yourself?

278March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow, all the food you folks made, looks so good.

I had spaghetti and meatballs tonight.
I made for Tina... A meatball with mashed potatoes, and broccoli.

The leftover corned beef will be for tomorrow. It came out awesome. I boiled three of them in 90% beer, ant the rest water. A head of garlic smashed...4 bay leaves, and the spice in a tea ball to float around but not get stuck to the beef. Potato wedges, I cooked in a pot with the the juice water from the corned beef after the beef was done after 4.5 hours.

The cabbage, with browned garlic, in a cast iron cooker, with salt and paprika then covered with bacon slices. 1/3 filled of water, and steamed till done.
I also made the baby beets and pickled eggs two day's ago, with the cloves and brown sugar, and a cinnamon stick, plus vinegar.

279March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh Jimmy that sounds great !!!

280March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hahahahaha......he was shocked when I said, "Don't take a bite until I take a picture of YOUR plate tonight!"

He was like, "Huh?"

He has gotten to where he likes his tacos and most Mexican food (like my chicken enchiladas) without cheese.  I always offer but I don't think it's that big of a deal to him.

I thought he was going to say something about no bun but the crispy potato crowns are his favorite and he figured out what I was trying to do.  He's almost at his weight loss goal (good for him ~ I haven't dropped a pound.....but I've given up caring as long as I feel good).  He read somewhere that spicy foods help burn calories so that's why his plate is covered in pepper.

Dane is right about spicy hot being beneficial .... I guess calorie burning too. Here is one that amazed a team of Doctors at Georgetown Hospital in DC. My brother was operated on his lungs to remove 5 tumors and around the plural sac.

He was filling with fluid in his lungs, and even after draining, it was not working. A Dr friend of his who was a Doctor in Germany, visited my brother, and left him after seeing him drowning from the fluid in his lungs.
Doc came back, and gave my brother a jar of hot pepper juices. He said to my brother,"sip on this as much as you can stand it, and when the burning stops, sip more!" ..... The next day, at noon, there were 7 Doctors along side him, in disbelief that the fluid in his lungs was no longer there.

My brother never said what saved him, but after living he vowed to eat spicy foods, or at least pepper hot foods, and it did, seriously, prevent any new tumors, on the lungs. Sorrowfully, it didn't prevent tumors from his liver....

Soon as I feel a cough or cold coming on, I run to the hot pepper sauces and peppers to fight the fluid build up in the lungs.

281March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Gosh Jimmy that sounds great !!!

Thanks Barb.

The best part.... is there was no mess, no hurrying up waiting for room to carve and place the foods while all the kids gather,,,,IN THE KITCHEN....right in the way and under my feet.
Before they arrived, all the food was on a warming tray set at 180 degrees and ready for them to fill there dishes like at a smorgasbord ....

Even the breads were sliced ....

282March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
I see the picture. Tell me more about the crispy crowns. Are they store bought or did you make them yourself?

Store bought.....OreIda frozen. Simply browned in a bit of olive oil over med-high heat.

283March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, it's so good to hear you back in the kitchen again! Your corned beef dinner sounds wonderful. And it sounds like Tina is getting her appetite back. Glad you're there to fix her whatever sounds good at the moment.....even if it's 'forbidden' foods on a Friday! LOL

284March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, it's so good to hear you back in the kitchen again!  Your corned beef dinner sounds wonderful.  And it sounds like Tina is getting her appetite back.  Glad you're there to fix her whatever sounds good at the moment.....even if it's 'forbidden' foods on a Friday!  LOL

Yeah! thanks.... As mom used to say," Hungry?" ...." Your getting better then!"
"No fever?.... Get ready for school tomorrow!" ....

285March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, I have everything ready, and Tina is going to make nice pork steaks; braised in lots of onions. Then some potato wedges to soak up the juices.
I will cook a head of cauliflower ....

286March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Think I will make something from the leftover pad Thai .

287March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Chinois chicken salad for tonight.

288March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken here, too. I've seen a recipe a couple times on line and finally decided to print it off and give it a try. It has boneless chicken breasts seasoned with a spicy blend and then a cream sauce to go over pasta. I adjusted it a bit for our tastes (drop the garlic, add chopped onion) and I ended up putting the pasta in the sauce instead of spooning it over ~ less messy at the table, IMO.

Dane liked it. SURPRISE! I had made a poor attempt at splitting a thick chicken breast into a couple cutlets - one was huge and the other was really puny. So, after I browned the chicken and removed it from the pan to make the sauce, I simply cut the chicken up into bite size pieces and let it reheat in the sauce before I dumped in the pasta. It made it not quite so 'pretty' but it was easy to eat! LOL

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 IMG_20160321_175418209

The spice mix had smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, dry oregano, s&p and dry chervil (called for dry basil but I didn't have any - go figure). It had a bit of a bite to it but was quite tasty. The cream sauce was nothing more than half & half reduced down a bit and picking up the spices from the pan.

289March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 019%20111

pad thai leftovers..Beth looks great...

290March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks really good, Barb.....you copied my pasta! LOL

((and don't say you did it first 'cause it's leftovers ~ I posted my pic FIRST!))

291March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

LOL..thats what I thought too. cept mine is shrimp..I added bean sprouts.and whole peanuts.

292March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy wrote:I had spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

I made meatballs and marinara yesterday, too. I've been having tons of problems with my back but just couldn't stay in bed anymore. (Brian hurt his back and cracked a vertebrae so he's going to be getting that same procedure on his back that I was supposed to have last year where they seal it with medical cement; supposed to be tomorrow but his primary doc wanted him off his blood thinner for a couple of days even though his cardio man said it was unnecessary. So now he has to suffer for another week, poor thing. He went to the doctors today and has lost 22 lbs. in the three weeks since he fell on his back. He's in such pain that he hasn't been eating very much.) Anyway, I moved around slowly and things took me almost all afternoon but the results were outstanding. Brian said the smell upstairs drove him crazy all afternoon, and he was able to come down to eat when all was ready.

I rarely make meatballs but rather meat sauce but had been thinking of and planning on meatballs for over a week. I had some fresh ground round and made the meatballs differently than I'd ever done, even putting a half a cup of imported Parmesan in the meatball mix. When I browned my test meatball, I was blown away by how good they were -- all I had to add was some more salt. Like you do sometimes, Jimmy, I browned them first on the stove and then finished cooking them in the oven.

Meanwhile, I made a big pot of marinara using three big cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes that I crushed up in the pan to use (I don't like canned crushed tomatoes and I don't like the texture if I zap those or whole tomatoes in the Cuisinart). I didn't have any pancetta, so I started my sauce with chopped bacon in the fond from browning the meatballs. I had a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon open so I used that in my sauce, too, and added more along the way to thin it as the marinara cooked and got thicker. When it needed some salt, I added some Better Than Bouillon beef base to the sauce to add a bit more flavor along with the salt. I swear, my sauce came out better than it ever had, too.

After it cooked a couple of hours, I added the meatballs to the sauce and cooked them about another hour. I swear, it took me forever 'cause I was moving around so slow (and had no Brian to help me!) but the meal was absolutely perfect. I had some homegrown butter lettuce that I snipped from the garden, along with a chopped tomato, some fresh mozzarella, homegrown basil and made a nice mustardy vinaigrette. The only thing missing was some garlic bread but we're eating so little, it would've been too much. My brother's wife had dropped off a big pan of fudge earlier in the day so we had a couple pieces for dessert.

I had a meatball for lunch today and Brian had a repeat tonight for dinner (I wasn't hungry). As usual with anything with tomato sauce, it was even better today. Everything came out so good that I jotted down what I did last night so I'd remember next time -- I'm famous for forgetting what the heck I did when cooking, as you tend to do when you're throwing things together...

293March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Michelle, that reading of your Meatball Episode, and the procedure of the cooking, made me so tired reading about it.

When I make meatballs, it comes so automatically, I could do it blindfolded.LOL

We have a flat container with the leftover meatballs, and I froze the sauce separately to use in the lasagna for Easter Dinner.

DIL said my sauce was so good because it had a different flavor. Actually, I added a jar of Tomato Basil soup, that was a little on the sweet side. It did the trick.
The round larger meatballs which were Tina's ( she likes a lot of bread ) and the regular ones, I cooked for like 2- 1/2 hours.  I always use a heat diffuser on the low flame; so as not to burn the sauce bottom. Nothing worse than burnt sauce. You can never mask the taste, or save the sauce.

I always fry a bunch well done, and we nosh on them, and dip them in the cooking sauce; after I set a small cup of sauce aside to do that. I am a stickler for Double Dipping in anything cooking.

Speaking of double dipping. My Grandmother went on a trip back to Italy with her 2nd husband Frank.
They stayed at one of the brothers homes. They made stew, and all the neices and nephews sat at this big round Table. They started to eat, and one of the kids, took his hunk of bread, (they don't slice bread, they tear off hunks ) and reached over, and dunked his bread into Franks dish of stew!~
OMG..... You would think a dog stuck his foot into Franks stew.  

Frank said,"NO NO!" Basta (*stop ) .... 'In America, we don't put-a the bread into anybody dish-a!"
In-a America, "we break-a the hand wid-a  big-a stick-a if-a you do that"  

That was so funny when Grandma told us about it! Frank in America was in the Black Hand. He was a very fussy man too! He was Very Well Respected! ....   Or Else!! ....

294March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

This is an alert for Kindle owners

Kindle users warned to update their device by Tuesday or face losing books and Internet

A crucial update is required for some Kindle E-Readers and some users could lose Internet connectivity if they don't act quickly.

An update for the first generation to the fifth-generation of the Kindle Paperwhite was announced on Amazon's website and urged users to update the now-outdated software by March 22. Amazon warns that if the devices are not updated by Tuesday, users will get the following message on their devices:

"Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again."

The update is required for most models purchased between 2007 and 2012.

The company website provides instructions on how to manually install the software if the device no longer connects to the Internet.

295March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:This is an alert for Kindle owners

Kindle users warned to update their device by Tuesday or face losing books and Internet

A crucial update is required for some Kindle E-Readers and some users could lose Internet connectivity if they don't act quickly.

An update for the first generation to the fifth-generation of the Kindle Paperwhite was announced on Amazon's website and urged users to update the now-outdated software by March 22. Amazon warns that if the devices are not updated by Tuesday, users will get the following message on their devices:

"Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again."

The update is required for most models purchased between 2007 and 2012.

The company website provides instructions on how to manually install the software if the device no longer connects to the Internet.

My notice came to update Kindle II generation. It didn't say anything about the Kindle Fire....
I charged the Kindle II and left it on the counter overnight. On the Kindle, I got a notice...Update Complete....

I better check the Kindle Fire....???

296March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

My Kindle Fire had no notices....not really sure where I look for any. I just turned it on and it functioned as always.

297March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:29 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I tried to update my first kindle a Touch but it did nothing . Even said no updates needed ????? When I tried to sync it just went back to home page idk ??? Fire is not included . Only older models of kindles there is a list .

>>>>update..lol..just turned on my Touch and it said your kindle is updated.. cheers

298March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:59 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

My kindle must have updated it automatically. I went to update it and saw that it had the updated version.

299March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

wish I could change the color on my Touch. I like how simple it is and has text to speech.Plus it is so light to hold.Fire is so heavy..But it has email and internet and it is in color.I have to prop it to read anything ,my hand and arm get to tired to hold it.

300March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! - Page 12 Empty Re: March, 2016 ~ Dinners we made! Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We were going to go out for a birthday dinner tonight, but my body decided to get rid of a kidney stone at 11pm so I am going to catch up on some sleep instead.
I think I will make broccoli cheddar soup and put it in bread bowls tonight. Easy recipe and easy on the gut. I hope no more stones make their appearance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum