Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals

+5
cookingirl
bethk
Bugster2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 23]

426FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a couple of Aerogrows. Right now, one is growing cherry tomatoes. The other has basil and parsley. After owning some over the years, this is what I have learned:

Not all of the seed pods sprout. I have had trouble with cilantro, tarragon. The amount you get can be pretty small. It depend upon the herb. Most will get used in one recipe with exception of the basils. They seem to do the best. I once grew lettuce but it was so fine and delicate that it wilted immediately when salad dressing was poured on it.
Chives grow but it isn't enough for more than one use and then you have to wait for it to grow again. My dill did good but I rarely use it.
It used to be that the units had grow lights that had to be replaced. My electric bill went up $10 a month. I now have a LED light version which is much more efficient.

427FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 10334339_10201224044481112_7825125465604709984_n

Casserole for next door...shrimp,scallops,gemelli pasta,caper white wine sauce,bacon,onion,Yellow pepp,cremini mushroom,parsley,dill. (white chedder to smooth it out).

428FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:I have a couple of Aerogrows. Right now, one is growing cherry tomatoes. The other has basil and parsley. After owning some over the years, this is what I have learned:

Not all of the seed pods sprout. I have had trouble with cilantro, tarragon. The amount you get can be pretty small. It depend upon the herb. Most will get used in one recipe with exception of the basils. They seem to do the best. I once grew lettuce but it was so fine and delicate that it wilted immediately when salad dressing was poured on it.
Chives grow but it isn't enough for more than one use and then you have to wait for it to grow again. My dill did good but I rarely use it.
It used to be that the units had grow lights that had to be replaced. My electric bill went up $10 a month. I now have a LED light version which is much more efficient.

Good to know.Thanks..

429FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had one of those machines, and I used the tabs to fertilize, and we had basil in it at the time.
Then all of a sudden, everything turned yellow, and S T I N K !..... Phew!
It was growing fungi and moss... Like Legionares disease in the water reservoir! Uhgh!
Bye Bye it went in the Garbage.

430FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks Jimmy . Might go another route .

431FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

since we don't seem to have a bunch of skeeters like Barb, all of my herbs get planted in pots and stay outside. When my basil starts to get overgrown I just cut a bunch and put it in a vase of water on the kitchen windowsill.....within a week it sprouts roots and I just poke a hole in the soil in the outside pot and replant. My chives are in a huge pot, brought from Ohio (from my grandma's garden), the Italian parsley is in a windowbox type planter and Dane just planted seeds for some tarragon and curley parsley, which I like the flavor of more than the flat Italian variety. Oh, and a couple weeks ago he planted the dill seed from last year's dill plant. I love when the dill goes to seed and I can save it to re-plant a second or third year.....it's FREE!

432FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
Casserole for next door...shrimp,scallops,gemelli pasta,caper white wine sauce,bacon,onion,Yellow pepp,cremini mushroom,parsley,dill. (white chedder to smooth it out).

I'm sure they will be happy campers when you come knockin' at the door!

433FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:23 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, maybe you could use that pasta maker to make corn chips.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

434FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

since we don't seem to have a bunch of skeeters like Barb,

I get bit just walking to my mail box.If I stop to get the hose and water anything,I might get 5 or 6 and then have huge welts for days and over a week..Grilling in the summer is a nightmare..

IF this was my house ,I would put in a screened porch.

435FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:The decision on granite was very unexpected, and very quick. I thought that I was happy with the laminate that I have now, but my son took me to the place where he and DIL picked their granite, and I fell in love with a slab. It is black with white veining. My floor is a grey/beige mix, there are ceramic tiles in the kitchen, hallway and both bathrooms, and I am not replacing those. I have a black sofabed, a red leather chair, and a chair in a zebra fabric. Black IKEA glass fronted tall cabinets, shiny black laquer dining chairs and an area rug that has red, grey, and white in a sort of abstract Mondrian look.

The paint for the walls took me longer to find than to decide on getting married, it is a soft grey, and the kitchen cabinets will become a darker grey. I have a lot of copper and red accent pieces, so I needed to tone things down a bit with the paint colours! I like strong colours.

Sounds really nice, Lore. I love black granite. My BIL is renovating one third of his triplex and getting it ready to rent again. Before my sister passed away, she picked out medium grey cabinets and they look fantastic, even though Ed was unsure about them before they got installed. She always had better "vision" than I did -- she could "see" something before it was done whereas I seem woefully inadequate in that regard. I think they call it lack of a spatial sense. She also selected a very light grey/blue glass small tile backsplash that Ed installed all the way up to the ceiling -- it really looks super. He painted the wall a soft grey as well, so I'm having no problems picturing your kitchen -- it really sounds pretty. He put in those super inserts inside the lower cabinets, too, which turn all the way around so you can see and get to everything on the upper shelves.

Re the subject of stuffed artichokes, the leaves of the artichoke are stuffed with flavored filling, usually Italian; you pull each leaf out, including the stuffing, put it in your mouth and run each leaf between your teeth and get the artichoke "pulp" (for lack of a better word) that is in the base of each leaf along with the stuffing. They're really delicious. Lots of people use a spoon to stuff the leaves but I learned many years ago from someone to mix my stuffing dry in a large bowl, put each artichoke in the bowl, "fanning" the leaves of the artichoke so the dry stuffing falls in. The longer you do it (almost like fanning a deck of cards), the larger the artichoke gets (hence, more stuffing gets in front of each leaf). As I steam them, about every 15 minutes, I pour a thin stream of olive oil all over each artichoke, which moistens the stuffing and the entire artichoke. You get a lot more flavor out of the artichoke, IMO, doing it this way, and it's a lot easier than using a spoon to stuff dampened stuffing behind each leaf. And you're right about the heart: As you pull off and eat each stuffed leaf, you finally get down to that delicious heart, which is also nicely flavored with the Italian stuffing. I wish I had a camera so I could show you a picture of one of them...

436FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, maybe you could use that pasta maker to make corn chips.

Sounds good Norm! I thought of making cereal too!
Rigatoni Crispy's....come an get um!

437FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a couple almond breaded pork loin chops baking in the oven and some chunky slices of sweet potato. I thought using mostly chopped almonds with just a tiny bit of panko as breading on the pork would be a better choice for 'Mr. Still Watching His Calories'......wonder if he'll like it???

438FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, that coating sounds interesting....

I cut up some Italian Sausages, Baby potatoes, Sweet Onion, and Red Bell Pepper to roast/bake...sprinkled on some salt and pepper, and some oregano, olive oil...when cooked, I put it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown some more...

It turned out very good...
I will have left overs tomorrow. They are wrapped in aluminum foil in the refrigerator. All I have to do tomorrow is unwrap and put in oven to re-heat and brown up a bit.

439FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The almond breading on the chops was really good.....too bad I used loin chops. Dry. Tasteless. Tough. I much prefer pork with some fat, like my favorite pork steaks. But he won't eat that so I guess I'll suffer through. The best part was the baked chunks-o-sweet-potato ~ a bit of oil, a sprinkle of s&p and baked until tender on a non-stick foil lined pan. Really tasty. By leaving the skins on the sides didn't dry out and yet the cut sides caramalized nicely in the oven.

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 IMG_20160224_171318095

440FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Beth, that coating sounds interesting....

I cut up some Italian Sausages, Baby potatoes, Sweet Onion, and Red Bell Pepper to roast/bake...sprinkled on some salt and pepper, and some oregano, olive oil...when cooked, I put it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown some more...

It turned out very good...
I will have left overs tomorrow. They are wrapped in aluminum foil in the refrigerator. All I have to do tomorrow is unwrap and put in oven to re-heat and brown up a bit.

sounds good, Cyn. Can't go wrong with sausages, onion & peppers.....AND potatoes. All baked together to let the flavors combine.

441FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am throwing together a leftover casserole from leftovers from the casserole I made this morning Shrimp and scallops .

442FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just threw some Italian sausage peppers onions and potatoes wedges in the electric frying pan. Then DD bought some manicotti from this macaroni factory she passes while at work. Tina said lets try them. We sauced them and baked them. Boy, were they great! Nice and soft shells.
There are filled Boston cream for me, and cherry filled for tina, doughnuts for dessert later.
Boy, is it windy here. See ya All in Kansas!

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 C6cXZE

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 ARFP5B

443FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 11701075_10201226929193228_2356117695633941938_n

444FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:The almond breading on the chops was really good.....too bad I used loin chops.  Dry.  Tasteless.  Tough.  I much prefer pork with some fat, like my favorite pork steaks.  But he won't eat that so I guess I'll suffer through.  The best part was the baked chunks-o-sweet-potato ~ a bit of oil, a sprinkle of s&p and baked until tender on a non-stick foil lined pan.  Really tasty.  By leaving the skins on the sides didn't dry out and yet the cut sides caramalized nicely in the oven.

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 IMG_20160224_171318095

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 4137497845

445FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 11701075_10201226929193228_2356117695633941938_n

Oh Boy!! Shrimp Shrimp, and more Shrimp!... yummy good.

446FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:53 pm

NormM

NormM

We went to Carramba's Italian Grille for dinner tonight. It is the first time we've been and it spoiled us for ever wanting to go anywhere else for Italian food. I had ciopinno. Last time I had that was in California. I was having dinner with Joanie Sommers in a restaurant overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the sun was setting. Even with all that scenery and ambiance, I think the one I had tonight was better.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

447FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Niagara Visitor

That pan of mix looks soooo good!

I made a pot of broccoli soup, then thought it needed a bit more "stuff" so I added some carrots, and two large potatoes (large dice). It was really good.

One of my neighbours came over, she has a problem with her arm, so she can't do her hair, so I played hairdresser first, and we had some cheese and crackers.

448FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am still loopy and nauseated from my EUS today. Throat is sore too. If I eat, it will be very, very, carefully.

449FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We went to Carramba's Italian Grille for dinner tonight. It is the first time we've been and it spoiled us for ever wanting to go anywhere else for Italian food. I had ciopinno.   Last time I had that was in California. I was having dinner with Joanie Sommers in a restaurant overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the sun was setting.  Even with all that scenery and ambiance, I think the one I had tonight was better.

Joanie Sommers was a singer in the 60's right? She sang that song Johnny Get Angry ....Johnny get Mad ....I think Tina has some 45's in her collection, with her songs.

450FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 18 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am still loopy and nauseated from my EUS today. Throat is sore too. If I eat, it will be very, very, carefully.

Oh No! ... was it blocked / collapsed. Feel better bugs.
Don't get water in it..... and yes, eat s l o w l y.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum