Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals

+5
cookingirl
bethk
Bugster2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 23]

451FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I am still loopy and nauseated from my EUS today. Throat is sore too. If I eat, it will be very, very, carefully.

Oh No! ... was it blocked / collapsed. Feel better bugs.
Don't get water in it..... and yes, eat s l o w l y.

It was an endoscopic ultra sound. They were just checking out a bulge in my esophagus. Every looked ok. Just a thickening of the wall.

I wish I could get rid of the nausea. It is getting old.

452FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 am

NormM

NormM

Yes, she had that hit "Johnny Get Angry" and was the Pepsi girl during the 60's. "Now it's Pepsi for those who think young" and later "Come alive, you're in the Pepsi generation". She also did the first Diet Pepsi jingle "one small calorie, now you see it, now you don't". My favorite single by her was Summer Place.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

453FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I am still loopy and nauseated from my EUS today. Throat is sore too. If I eat, it will be very, very, carefully.

Oh No! ... was it blocked / collapsed. Feel better bugs.
Don't get water in it..... and yes, eat s l o w l y.

It was an endoscopic ultra sound. They were just checking out a bulge in my esophagus. Every looked ok. Just a thickening of the wall.

I wish I could get rid of the nausea. It is getting old.

Oh... mis term on the EUS ... Was thing eustachian tube surgery.

Oh esophagus wall...ok. I fear Tina has that. 99% of the time, she eats, and gets nauseated, and cannot keep it down.

454FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Yes, she had that hit "Johnny Get Angry" and was the Pepsi girl during the 60's. "Now it's Pepsi for those who think young" and later "Come alive, you're in the Pepsi generation".  She also did the first Diet Pepsi jingle "one small calorie, now you see it, now you don't".  My favorite single by her was Summer Place.

OK... Summer Place strikes a bell!

455FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 am

NormM

NormM

456FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Norm! Yep... I remember now. I was in The Navy on duty in GITMO when they played that song!

457FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes.....back when music was listened to over and over and you didn't need a 'cheat sheet' to learn the words. Loved her music.

458FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:16 am

NormM

NormM

I did too.

459FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roomie beats all. Her friend is an animal lover and a vegan. It is her birthday today. For gifts she wants all of her friends not to eat meat today. So, Roomie says no meat for us today. That's what she thinks. She is on her own as far as dinner is concerned.
The nausea has eased but my throat feels like I tried to swallow a baseball and is swollen and sore. I am not sure what to eat tonight.
$750.00 later and my cat is on the road to recovery. Now, Smidge has it, so back to the vet this morning. Hopefully, it will just mean the same drugs and nothing else. When it rains, it pours. I have got to isolate them (not that they mingled with Roomies cats) but I want to make sure there is no epidemic that runs through the cat colony.

460FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is National Chili Day.

461FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Roomie beats all. Her friend is an animal lover and a vegan. It is her birthday today. For gifts she wants all of her friends not to eat meat today. So, Roomie says no meat for us today. That's what she thinks. She is on her own as far as dinner is concerned.
The nausea has eased but my throat feels like I tried to swallow a baseball and is swollen and sore. I am not sure what to eat tonight.
$750.00 later and my cat is on the road to recovery. Now, Smidge has it, so back to the vet this morning. Hopefully, it will just mean the same drugs and nothing else. When it rains, it pours. I have got to isolate them (not that they mingled with Roomies cats) but I want to make sure there is no epidemic that runs through the cat colony.

Write the word MEAT on a piece of paper. Say,"no one eat that meat today!" and all while you scoff down a burger or chop.
Just funnin... ok, you can take me to the funny farm! tongue

462FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think that is what we are going to have: burgers! Thanks for the idea.

463FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Have no clue what supper will be today!
It's a gloomy 40 degree day out..... Tina is in the recliner watching the price is right; and I am sipping my coffee with a blanket around my back and shoulders.
Trying to make an adventure of waiting for the mail man to come! Wow!....talk about something to look forward to! hahahaha....

I'm sure this gloomy feeling will pass sooner or later. I see something in the front yard that looks like someones storm door screen that was blown there by the huge winds we had last night.
I guess i'll suit up, and go see what it is...

464FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I think that is what we are going to have: burgers! Thanks for the idea.

Great! WE may even have that also! ... A nice smash burger with fried onions.
I will have to pulse the meat in the food processor so it can be easier for her to swallow, and digest.

465FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Cheese enchilada here !!

466FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

interesting chats, interesting meals, I don't post here often, but I try to catch up the chats everyday.. and today I have a question, hopefully I can get some ideas from you guys..

I volunteer to cook a couple meals for our winter visiter potluck at our church, I'm planning to cook Goulash, I don't know much about it, all I know is it's Hungarian stew, but I'm going to cook it my way, I'm adding breakfast sausage instead of chunk or ground meat, my question is, what else ( vegetable ) to add or don't add appropriately, to have some colors and to fill my big pot, are bellpeppers, celery, onions good for it? and for the garnish, parsley and cilantro ( what we have in our backyard)

thank you

467FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda!  Good to have you stop by.

There are different kinds of Goulash and, in my opinion, you can make something up and call it Goulash and no one would be able to say it's not!  LOL

That said, you could certainly do the sausage with the peppers, celery & onions....also, a good deal of Hungarian paprika.  I would also add some potato to help stretch it for more servings, as well as tomatoes (fresh or canned).

Another kind of goulash (that I grew up with) was ground meat (your sausage would work) and then elbow macaroni, tomatoes & vegetables.  

So, as you can see, that is why I suggest you can add anything you'd like and call it Imelda's Goulash!

If anyone questions you, just tell them you got the recipe from some old woman in Florida! LOL

468FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda!  Good to have you stop by.

There are different kinds of Goulash and, in my opinion, you can make something up and call it Goulash and no one would be able to say it's not!  LOL

That said, you could certainly do the sausage with the peppers, celery & onions....also, a good deal of Hungarian paprika.  I would also add some potato to help stretch it for more servings, as well as tomatoes (fresh or canned).

Another kind of goulash (that I grew up with) was ground meat (your sausage would work) and then elbow macaroni, tomatoes & vegetables.  

So, as you can see, that is why I suggest you can add anything you'd like and call it Imelda's Goulash!

If anyone questions you, just tell them you got the recipe from some old woman in Florida!  LOL

hahaha.. ok, I'm adding some pasta too, thanks... I'm sure will take picture and share it here FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 2453703928

469FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Cyn most likely has authentic goulash recipes . Polish . If you want that .

470FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:54 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barbara101 wrote:Cyn most likely has authentic goulash recipes . Polish . If you want that .

Beth, thanks for the vote of confidence, but the only goulash I make is what is referred up here as American Chop Suey--it is ground beef, tomato sauce, elbow macaroni.

I once made a Hungarian Goulash with sweet paprika and some sour cream. I do not know what I did with the recipe.

I know the Polish version of a stew is: Bigos (hunters stew) made with rabbit(no) or chicken, sausages, pork...a very hearty stew.

You gave Imelda exactly what I was thinking as I read her post. Personally, I do not the the cilantro would blend in well with this. But I am not a fan of cilantro.

Imelda, I do know that Hungarian goulash has a ton of both sweet and hot paprika in it, and possibly a bit of sour cream. I know it is made with beef..I think breakfast sausages would be good.
As far as the cilantro--you are an expert using it, so I will leave it up to you...

And,
Thank you and Bless you for volunteering!! FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 4137497845

No matter what you decide on, I am positive it will be delicious, as in everything you cook!

471FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 pm

NormM

NormM

I made this the other day. It was good but in my opinion 10 hours in the cooker over cooked the meat.

SLOW COOKER HUNGARIAN GOULASH
Serves 6-8
Ingredients
• 3 pounds beef chuck roast or stew meat, cubed
• 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
• 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
• 2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup water
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons dry mustard
• kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions
1 Combine beef, onions, potatoes and garlic in slow cooker.
2 In a small bowl, whisk together paprika, brown sugar and dry mustard and set aside.
3 Pour beef broth in a large bowl and stir in dry spices and tomato paste. Once dissolved, pour mixture into slow cooker and stir everything together.
4 Season generously with salt and pepper, then cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.Note: you could also cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
5 During the last 30 minutes, whisk flour into glass of water and stir into goulash.
6 Cover and cook on HIGH for another 30 minutes, then serve hot.
Recipe adapted from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles

472FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Good recipe Norm . My slow cooker is for yogurt . I will use my new Dutch oven for it . Thanks

473FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 007%20123

474FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Niagara Visitor

Gulasch is also popular in Germany. They tend to put caraway in it. According to a German cooking website, in Hungary, Goulasch is considered a soup today.. I have had authentic Hungarian goulasch soup in Germany, and it was quite heavy in caraway. I don't like caraway.

One of the recipes on that website says that there is always an argument of whether there should be more onions or more meat, or should it be half of each.

I think, that just like stew recipes here, there are many, many recipes for goulasch.

475FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 19 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My mother put a southern touch to hers. She added green peppers. It was really good. Can't eat it now 'cause of the paprika.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum