Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals

+5
cookingirl
bethk
Bugster2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 23]

201FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, that is beautiful. Somehow I don't think it is going to be a whole lot less 'rich' ~ but you only do that cake once a year. If you cut this one into 365 teeny tiny slices.......well, then it might be less rich.

It really is a lovely dessert. Nice job.

I had a big piece of fried fish (they called it a sandwich but it was twice the size of the bun so I just ate the fish) for lunch after our movie this morning so I'm not hungry for supper at all. We went to see Lady in the Van with Maggie Smith. It was based on a true story in England and was good.

I asked Dane what he wanted and he just wanted a couple burgers and lima beans. That was easy enough to do. I might get hungry before bed so my plan is to have a bowl of yogurt with fresh blueberries and call it a night.

202FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

NormM wrote:Around mid February for the past 5 or 6 years I have made a Chocolate Raspberry Torte but it is really rich and I thought I'd try something different so this year i made a Chocolate Cloud Cake.  Both are flourless cakes.

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 DSCN3285_zps6fxjcxio

Norm, I love that cake..looks awesome!!

203FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:47 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you. It did seem less rich, but maybe it was because it didn't have the raspberry jam and raspberries on top.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

204FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:51 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I found a 'hole in the wall--shack type" of fish store in my city. I have passed by it a million times an never thought anything of it.
I had heard a long time ago that they had really fresh fish.
Today, I remembered to ask some people about them. They said the fish was very good.

Stopped there this afternoon..what a shack! They had a ton of fish! and no fishy smell! Farm raised fish and wild fish...
Special was farm raised haddock for $6.99 a pound. Wild caught haddock for $8.99 a pound...
I was tempted to get some haddock..the wild type; just a bit for myself, under a pound. Then I saw the scallops!! I love scallops!! I have not had them for at least a year. They were also the good kind...the DRY Sea scallops. I had to splurge and get a half a pound for me.

Yes, expensive; but I deserve it!
I got 9 scallops for $8.99. That is enough for 2 meals for me....yum!

The scallops were delicious! so good, no smell, sweet...OMG--this is my new fish place!!!

I like haddock, sea scallops, and salmon. My last fish place closed a few years ago. I have been missing really fresh fish which I could make at home. The supermarket is ok, but not the same as a fish store....

I usually make a veggie rice pilaf with it; however I did not have the veggies for it!! Sad

I had to resort to mashed potatoes with some carrots on the side..

loved my scallops!!! good thing I could still use one of the 2 lemons I had...this meal was definitely a spur of the moment one...

205FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 1002560_3212753335663_686443228_n

Fish sandwich/sub for me too. Bought,, not made by me..So good.

206FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:I found a 'hole in the wall--shack type" of fish store in my city. I have passed by it a million times an never thought anything of it.
I had heard a long time ago that they had really fresh fish.
Today, I remembered to ask some people about them. They said the fish was very good.

Stopped there this afternoon..what a shack! They had a ton of fish! and no fishy smell! Farm raised fish and wild fish...
Special was farm raised haddock for $6.99 a pound. Wild caught haddock for $8.99 a pound...
I was tempted to get some haddock..the wild type; just a bit for myself, under a pound. Then I saw the scallops!! I love scallops!! I have not had them for at least a year. They were also the good kind...the DRY Sea scallops.  I had to splurge and get a half a pound for me.

Yes, expensive; but I deserve it!
I got 9 scallops for $8.99.  That is enough for 2 meals for me....yum!

The scallops were delicious! so good, no smell, sweet...OMG--this is my new fish place!!!

I like haddock, sea scallops, and salmon. My last fish place closed a few years ago. I have been missing really fresh fish which I could make at home. The supermarket is ok, but not the same as a fish store....

I usually make a veggie rice pilaf with it; however I did not have the veggies for it!! Sad

I had to resort to mashed potatoes with some carrots on the side..

loved my scallops!!!  good thing I could still use one of the 2 lemons I had...this meal was definitely a spur of the moment one...
You're fortunate to be able to buy such fresh fish at a reasonable price. I'm still trying to find 'my' fish place....

207FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roomie sent me this link. I have never heard of this. What do you think? Is it true?

http://nextdaily.org/warning-never-reheat-these-7-foods-they-can-poison-your-family/

Frankly I think it is a load of crap. I have reheated all of these things and never gotten sick.

208FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Crap.. LMAO..Who comes up with this stuff?

209FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gosh, I must be dead......and will continue to die regularly when I eat my leftovers.

((but it MUST be true ~ it's on the internet......))

210FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roomie thinks she got food poisoning from reheating some sautéed mushrooms that she got at a restaurant. She had a stomach ache the next day that lasted a week. It has been two weeks and she is still dealing with a lot of gut noise so she made an appointment with her doctor. What I think is that if she had food poisoning from the 'shrooms, it was from a dirty restaurant.

211FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:Roomie thinks she got food poisoning from reheating some sautéed mushrooms that she got at a restaurant. She had a stomach ache the next day that lasted a week. It has been two weeks and she is still dealing with a lot of gut noise so she made an appointment with her doctor. What I think is that if she had food poisoning from the 'shrooms, it was from a dirty restaurant.

From what you say about how weird she is ,I am surprised she even ate out..

212FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Roomie thinks she got food poisoning from reheating some sautéed mushrooms that she got at a restaurant. She had a stomach ache the next day that lasted a week. It has been two weeks and she is still dealing with a lot of gut noise so she made an appointment with her doctor. What I think is that if she had food poisoning from the 'shrooms, it was from a dirty restaurant.

Mushrooms are either... poison ones / or not poison ones.
The normal digestive process takes 6 hours and then stands in line for elimination
within 2o hours. Ask me, cuz, I know my $ _ _ t. LOL

213FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:13 pm

NormM

NormM

Truth be known, restaurants are the best place to get sick from food. Eating at home is a lot safer and it isn't from reheating food, it's as you think bugs, it's about sanitation.

214FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh lord ! I have seen first hand what goes on in restaurant kitchens !!!! #1 reason I do not eat out . Horrors I have seen .

215FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, if I don't die from my reheated mushrooms I might as well die from eating out.....

what can I say? I LIKE to be waited on and have others do the cooking once in a while.......

216FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thank you.  It did seem less rich, but maybe it was because it didn't have the raspberry jam and raspberries on top.

Love, love, love flourless chocolate cakes and yours is gorgeous, Norm. I can only imagine it with raspberries, as IMO nothing goes better with chocolate than raspberries!

217FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Birthday Dinner tonight.  I spoil him......

((and he's SO lucky!))

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 IMG_20160213_163228478

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 IMG_20160213_172821215

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 IMG_20160213_175015350

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 IMG_20160213_175222434

218FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Well, if I don't die from my reheated mushrooms I might as well die from eating out.....

what can I say?  I LIKE to be waited on and have others do the cooking once in a while.......

Me, too, but Brian and I don't go to chain restaurants here. The food is too good locally even if you eat in a hole in the wall. Unless we go to a very nice restaurant, Brian and I are never pleased as we could've made the food much better at home for a much cheaper price. And we don't enjoy our meal, as the food is usually lousy compared to what we're used to eating.

If you live in N.O. and you want to go to a fine restaurant but hate to spend so much, going to the restaurant at lunch is usually smart. Though the menus usually aren't as extensive as the dinner menus, the prices are a lot lower. Plus, lots of the really fine restaurants in N.O. have specials at certain times of the year, like... Coolinary Specials (summertime when business is slow due to our heat and humidity -- I know a group of women who have lunch at a nice restaurant once a week during the month to two-month Coolinary menu season), Lenten Specials (we have a large Catholic population who avoid meat on Fridays and don't like cooking seafood), Reveillon Season (Christmas holiday season when we have fewer tourists)... We drink alcohol and/or wine at lunch when we go to a nice restaurant but if you don't drink, you can really get out at an inexpensive price, too.

219FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! Hap Pee Birth Day... Dane!
What a super delicious meal Beth Made!...

And to think...tomorrow is Valentines day too!

Happy Birthday! God Bless!

220FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Very nice Beth..LOVE Riesling  FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 2599281016

Happy Birthday to hubs... drunken tongue king

221FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:15 pm

NormM

NormM

I bought a bottle of that same riesling the other day and I thought it was really good. Probably the best one not made in Europe I've tasted.

222FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your birthday dinner for Dane looked over the top good. I adore lobster but Brian (from Cape Cod, no less) eats no seafood so if I get one or two at the grocery, they're all mine!

He'll eat fried catfish fingers (well done) and grilled oysters, though, and will eat things with either ground up oysters (oyster dressing) or oyster flavor, avoiding the oysters themselves (say, like in gumbo). He contemplates tasting crab salad but once that forkful gets within "smelling" distance, he changes his mind. You may remember his father was a seafood inspector for the State of Massachusetts and he had seafood pretty often. His mom was a pretty good cook but tended to always make fish the same way, and with very little seasoning too.

Me? If it swims, I eat it! The joke here is that zoos have cards both telling you what kind of animal it is as well as a recipe for it! Razz

223FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 00111

224FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Mmm -- and Dane gets TWO lobster tails. Lucky man!

225FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 Empty Re: FEBRUARY 2016 Dinner / Meals Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 00111

OMG! You're gonna DIE! FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 2876911673 FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 2876911673 I see MUSHROOMS ~ and I'd happily share that fabulous meal with you! FEBRUARY 2016  Dinner / Meals  - Page 9 940422454

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum