Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JUNE.. whats cooking.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
Imelda HL
Barbara101
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 14]

251JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:41 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

For the first time ever, I made Corned Beef Hash tonight.  Brian has been eating tons of the canned stuff -- Armour brand, I think.  I'd planned to ask others for a recipe but recently found one in Bon Appetit. 

At any rate, it was freaking delicious.  I had doubts about putting cabbage in there but it worked out great.  Brian went wild over it and he's planning on having leftover hash for breakfast.  Here's the recipe which I made in a non-stick skillet:

Corned Beef Hash
Serves 6.  Recipe from Bon Appétit, May 2013.

6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, smashed
2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
1-1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 large), peeled, coarsely grated
1 tsp. Four Seasons Blend* (this is kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic salt and cayenne pepper – I just added a 1/4 tsp. each of kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and granulated garlic instead of garlic salt)
12 oz. cooked corned beef, cut into matchstick-size pieces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion, garlic, and cabbage; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and cabbage are golden brown and crisp at edges, 15-20 minutes. 

Add potatoes and Four Seasons Blend*; cook, occasionally scraping up browned bits from bottom and folding into hash, until potatoes are crisp and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.  Fold in corned beef and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.  Fold once more.  Top with parsley.

*This recipe is entitled Corned Beef Hash with Eggs and also comes with a recipe for Dried Chile Salsa and Four Seasons Blend.  I just eliminated the eggs and that seasoning blend, as my husband, the CBH fan, wouldn’t like eggs on top and the seasoning blend wasn't special enough to make a lot of.

252JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The corned beef hash we had when I was a child was a leftover dish....dad would get out the hand crank grinder and push everything from the corned beef dinner through.....corned beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage.  Everything was "packed" into a hot cast iron skillet and turned as it got crisp.  The best parts are the crunchy edges.

I can just imagine how excited Brian was to get homemade cb hash.  There's no greater way to show your love, to my way of thinking, than to make a special dish just because you know they really like it.  Isn't that the same as when the birthday person gets to have their choice of the meal on their day?  Who doesn't remember how good it felt to know the meal was prepared just because it was YOUR favorite?

253JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was planning on the spinach/mozzarella chicken sausages in marinara tonight...

But it's Jacob's birthday.  I pulled a small meatloaf out of the freezer and will reshape and turn it into his all time favorite meal...has been since he was two....Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  He just found out there was a cake in the refrigerator and a few cupcakes...all with decorations.  

His mom would have probably stopped to buy a cake but I think he likes a cake was made just for him.  At least I'm hoping he thinks he's special on this, "his" day!

254JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was planning on the spinach/mozzarella chicken sausages in marinara tonight...

But it's Jacob's birthday.  I pulled a small meatloaf out of the freezer and will reshape and turn it into his all time favorite meal...has been since he was two....Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  He just found out there was a cake in the refrigerator and a few cupcakes...all with decorations.  

His mom would have probably stopped to buy a cake but I think he likes a cake was made just for him.  At least I'm hoping he thinks he's special on this, "his" day!

Well wishes and a Happy Birthday from Jimmy & Tina to Jacob! cheers cheers
God Bless him!

255JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are having a steak today. Fried zucchini and a potato baked.
Mac and cheese for GD. Her favorite.

It's a hot @$$ day today. Outside 86º anyway. Inside is nice and cool.

256JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is a special post here if I may.
Some remember "eread" from the old original c.com forum?
Well Evelyn said hello to all who knew her and whomever.
She is in Texas at MD Anderson Cancer center receiving treatments for her stage 4 lung cancer.

She said she at least remembers Beth and was so sorry to hear the old forum is no longer!

She had her first treatment (Chemo Therapy ) and had a little discomfort at the end days, but is feeling great and just a little tired. She managed with great promise and hope that she will be helped there, that she managed to cook a meal where she is staying at friends arond the area of the hospital. I could only get the salad to copy, but she had an array of foods on trays that at least she listed. ( I don't know why it would not copy, but just the salad alone speaks for her fine cooking abilities.)

Hopefully when she gets her life all back on track, I will ask her to join us when she gets her strength back and etc.

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Zkty

And here is the rest listed that she prepared. God Bless her and I know all prayers are going to help her. She asked if I would post this for her, and said Hello to all who know or remember her.Very Happy

Fat free spicy hot vegetable lentil soup

Cream cheese and cheddar cheese stuffed celery sticks

Honey crisp apple slices with smoked Gouda cheese and a grape,

black olives, Pimento stuffed green olives, and cream cheese

stuffed pepperdews...yum! Sundried tomatoes are in the center.

A plate of egg salad sandwiches on white and German rye bread,

salami cones with egg salad stuffing, and black olives stuffed

with cream cheese and fresh garlic

257JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like the "old" Evelyn is back!!!

Good for her.  Tell her I said hi!

258JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sounds like the "old" Evelyn is back!!!

Good for her.  Tell her I said hi!

I will tell her! ... Thanks

259JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a hit!  (Not a big surprise to Grandma....)  he was convinced the meal and birthday cake were his present so when he saw a package it was a double surprise.  I could only find 5 of the "can't blow out candles" so we had to count them twice when they relit by themselves....so that was ok!  He's off to karate class so grandma and grandpa have some quiet time.  Grandma took  a shower and poured herself a second Cosmo....she doesn't care what grandpa is doing...she's DONE....lol

260JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Supper was a hit!  (Not a big surprise to Grandma....)  he was convinced the meal and birthday cake were his present so when he saw a package it was a double surprise.  I could only find 5 of the "can't blow out candles" so we had to count them twice when they relit by themselves....so that was ok!  He's off to karate class so grandma and grandpa have some quiet time.  Grandma took  a shower and poured herself a second Cosmo....she doesn't care what grandpa is doing...she's DONE....lol
Beth... let me wish a Happy Birthday to your grandson cheers  

today I made some pizza with homemade dough, topped with chorizo sausage, pickled peperoncini, onion, red bell pepper and tomato, cheese and some herbs.. it's a good day for my DH, his lunch and his supperlol!  I'll make some salad later..  

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 <a href=JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 DSCN6737" />

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 <a href=JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 DSCN6739" />

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 <a href=JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 18" />

261JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very nice, Imelda!  I can just imagine the smile on his face.

262JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy I don't know her but she is more then welcome. I hope she gets better .wish her well.that salad looks good.

Imelda I just think you can make anything look good. JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 3593629538

June is all 4 of my grands birthdays.ALL of them lol. Plus DD.they have one big party. Well DD has several lol Heck I even have one just becuz I was there for the event..JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 829809188

263JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Steak .... zucchini cubed and fried with a little oil....sliced tomatoes with oregano and garlic with olive oil.
( No, we didn't eat the garlic ) Burp* Then I made macaroni salad.
GD had mac and cheese instead of mac salad.
JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Il4v

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 8pjz

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Hwso

There were fried mushrooms, and a baked sweet potato for me, but Tina for gpt to set it in front of me, and I didnt eat it. Tomorrow with my fish.

DW had a meatball and her mac salad. She didn't even finish the meatball.
BTW..che ck out the old old tupperware container I used for the mac salad.

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Vcs6

The push the middle to seal it kind. I have the whole set someplace burried in this house. LOL

264JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda...that pizza has me dreaming of pizza slices; jumping over the table, and I am catching them in my dish!

265JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

looks good Jimmy.

hey I have a bunch of that tupperware.I use it ll the time. I have orange,green,yellow, & blue 2qt containers,I have the orange & blue containers you marinate in. I have cake carry & egg cartons on man I have tons of it.I have that orange one too lol.I have big & medium size green bowls.I have a lettace bowl.That stuff  was built for life.

266JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy I don't know her but she is more then welcome. I hope she gets better .wish her well.that salad looks good.

Imelda I just think you can make anything look good. JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 3593629538

June is all 4 of my grands birthdays.ALL of them lol. Plus DD.they have one big party. Well DD has several lol Heck I even have one just becuz I was there for the event..JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 829809188

I will tell her Imelda. BTW, she made that for the family she is staying with in Texas.
She is a Bad Type 2 diabetic, and has to watch everything.
Even when they administer her chemo..it drops her to a 48, and she gets quippy in her lips, and she asks to get some carb to raise it to near normal. That is the only thing she fears; is the nurses not understanding her glucose levels with certain meds.

267JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:looks good Jimmy.

hey I have a bunch of that tupperware.I use it ll the time. I have orange,green,yellow, & blue 2qt containers,I have the orange & blue containers you marinate in. I have cake carry & egg cartons on man I have tons of it.I have that orange one too lol.I have big & medium size green bowls.I have a lettace bowl.That stuff  was built for life.

Yeah! I like the older tupperware like that.
Tina was a tupperware rep for a couple months. It was too much for her, and she quit after she got the suitcase of free stuff. hahahahaha

Now it is so cheesy and light. The lids don't even fit right.

268JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 036

you would think I would have leftovers. you would be wrong lol

I quick saute some thin chops. I don't like thin ones but I needed to fix something fast.

269JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 036

you would think I would have leftovers. you would be wrong lol

I quick saute some thin chops. I don't like thin ones but I needed to fix something fast.
Thick or thin. It sure made me grin! Looks Great Barbara.

270JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:25 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This is a special post here if I may.
Some remember "eread" from the old original c.com forum?
Well Evelyn said hello to all who knew her and whomever.
She is in Texas at MD Anderson Cancer center receiving treatments for her stage 4 lung cancer.

She said she at least remembers Beth and was so sorry to hear the old forum is no longer!

She had her first treatment (Chemo Therapy ) and had a little discomfort at the end days, but is feeling great and just a little tired. She managed with great promise and hope that she will be helped there, that she managed to cook a meal where she is staying at friends arond the area of the hospital. I could only get the salad to copy, but she had an array of foods on trays that at least she listed. ( I don't know why it would not copy, but just the salad alone speaks for her fine cooking abilities.)

Hopefully when she gets her life all back on track, I will ask her to join us when she gets her strength back and etc.

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Zkty

And here is the rest listed that she prepared. God Bless her and I know all prayers are going to help her. She asked if I would post this for her, and said Hello to all who know or remember her.Very Happy

Fat free spicy hot vegetable lentil soup

Cream cheese and cheddar cheese stuffed celery sticks

Honey crisp apple slices with smoked Gouda cheese and a grape,

black olives, Pimento stuffed green olives, and cream cheese

stuffed pepperdews...yum! Sundried tomatoes are in the center.

A plate of egg salad sandwiches on white and German rye bread,

salami cones with egg salad stuffing, and black olives stuffed

with cream cheese and fresh garlic

SmileAll I had to do is look in the right file folder, and I found the pic of the great spread Evelyn "eread" had prepared. I don't know how she has the patience to make all this for one day, and in such a short time.

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 G61

271JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper just came out of the oven to rest for an hour. Tinamommy put a lasagna together.

I was looking forward to having fish today, but the girls ( DW and GD ) won with their wanting lasagna.

Oh, you know I will eat it! hahahaha

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Progress

272JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're going to Nogoya Hibachi Grill tonight to celebrate the birthday boy...his choice.  I'm so pooped from painting in the hot upstairs bedroom all day.  Good news is the trim is all painted...tomorrow I'll cut in with the wall color and someone else will have to do the rolling....I don't do rollers OR ladders.  LOL

273JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We're going to Nogoya Hibachi Grill tonight to celebrate the birthday boy...his choice.  I'm so pooped from painting in the hot upstairs bedroom all day.  Good news is the trim is all painted...tomorrow I'll cut in with the wall color and someone else will have to do the rolling....I don't do rollers OR ladders.  LOL

Have a Swell Time beth and Family.
I like eating at the Hibashi Grill we have near u$. A little pricy...like 380.00 for 6 people.
I think it is too much for a couple calimari and steak chopped and fried with noodles.
But it is good I must say. That's with BYOB drinks too.

Uhhh! Whome might that paint roller person be beth? Jack from All Trades?? or master of none?

274JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The meal was very good, the chef was entertaining.....until he tried to toss a piece of chicken into this grandma's mouth and it went down the front of her shirt instead!  Hot stuff !!!  Ouch.  GS laughed and laughed.  No breakfast for HIM in the morning, grandma's memory is long.....

Grandpa had warmed sake, not a favorite of mine, but the taste I had proved it to be better than the last time I had it.  Most of the meals were in the $36 range...steak & shrimp, filet & shrimp...what I like is the vegetables are just tender crisp and seasoned nicely.  The grill show was a fun time and Jake loved  all the antics.  What the heck, you only turn 10 once.  LOL

275JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Empty Re: JUNE.. whats cooking. Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The meal was very good, the chef was entertaining.....until he tried to toss a piece of chicken into this grandma's mouth and it went down the front of her shirt instead!  Hot stuff !!!  Ouch.  GS laughed and laughed.  No breakfast for HIM in the morning, grandma's memory is long.....

Grandpa had warmed sake, not a favorite of mine, but the taste I had proved it to be better than the last time I had it.  Most of the meals were in the $36 range...steak & shrimp, filet & shrimp...what I like is the vegetables are just tender crisp and seasoned nicely.  The grill show was a fun time and Jake loved  all the antics.  What the heck, you only turn 10 once.  LOL

Beth.. your GS has a good taste and picks the right restaurant, it sounds like every body has a good time there.. my brother in law took me to the similar restaurant several times.. it was very entertaining watching the chef cooked in front of us.. 

today we had beef tendon.. I know know if you guys ever ate tendon, it's my favorite, and my DH loves it too.. I asked him if he wanted beef tendon or pork chop for supper, I was hoping he said pork chop, but he picked beef tendon, so I had to share with him JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 1450907917 JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 2876911673 it cooked in coconut sauce, like curry but without cumin and coriander.. and I boiled some water spinach seasoned with a bit salt..

JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 <a href=JUNE.. whats cooking. - Page 11 Kil" />

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum