Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November............ what's for dinner?

+4
Barbara101
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 19]

351November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:14 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Ok thanks . Found it..

Picked the meat off the wings I did not eat.Might make tacos and or chili relleno.

352November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

we're going to have a bit of this 'n that.....gotta clean the leftovers out of the refrigerator so I have some room to put precooked Thanksgiving sides.

353November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Change of plans.

I saw the WinnDixie ad for any size ham portion for $5 if you spend $30 on groceries.....So, I went and spent $60 ~ to save $14.98 on a nice shank cut smoked ham.  Great marketing.  They got me there intending to spend $30 and I did a double-up.

But one of the things that took me over was a walk past the meat counter.  They had chuck roasts on sale and there was a beauty calling my name....It was $15 so I spent way more than I usually do on a piece of meat but I immediately thought of the 3-pack dry seasoning mix CrockPot roast.  The leftovers will be shredded up for Italian Beef Sandwiches and stashed in the freezer.  And Mr. Amazing is just going to have to deal with the fact that I'm gonna have mashed potatoes and roasted carrots & onions to go with the meal.  ((bet he eats HIS share!))

354November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

WinnDixie  ours closed..As did Piggly Wiggly.

Bilo has that going on. Hate that store ..Do not shop there...

355November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I always microwave my butternut before attempting to cut it. It is too dangerous otherwise. I then use a cleaver and a rubber mallet to do the rest. It keeps my fingers away from everything.
Last night I made chicken marsala crepes. I wasn't impressed with the recipe.
I spent most of the day seasoning a carbon steel griddle. I over-did-it and had to scrape off some of the baked on oil. If need be, I will Easy Off it and start over. I tried some bacon and eggs and they didn't stick but I found that the carbon steel gets hotter so I had to turn down the heat so the bacon wouldn't burn and the eggs didn't frizzle too much. It may be my imagination but I swear the eggs tasted better fried on the carbon steel vs a nonstick pan.
Today we are going over to my sister's for an early Thanksgiving. Her daughter has to work on Thanksgiving so she moved the day. I am not looking forward to it because it means I will have to work.

356November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Funny, but Thanksgiving is my favorite meal to cook.....well, wait, I may like cooking Christmas dinner more..........

Oh, heck, either is my favorite!

I like when I get to make all my favorites and everyone enjoys the meal so much.

I asked Dane if he wanted me to make pumpkin pie or pumpkin roll w/cream cheese filling.....he answered, "yes". So, instead of baking the three pies my recipe usually makes I'll adjust to make the filling for one pie and then also make the pumpkin roll. That'll fix him!

Barb, we're going to make your Brussel sprouts with grapes. Did you use bacon, too? Any cooking on the stovetop in cast iron skillet or did you do them all in the oven? Remind me, please.

357November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I always microwave my butternut before attempting to cut it. It is too dangerous otherwise. I then use a cleaver and a rubber mallet to do the rest. It keeps my fingers away from everything.
Last night I made chicken marsala crepes. I wasn't impressed with the recipe.
I spent most of the day seasoning a carbon steel griddle. I over-did-it and had to scrape off some of the baked on oil. If need be, I will Easy Off it and start over. I tried some bacon and eggs and they didn't stick but I found that the carbon steel gets hotter so I had to turn down the heat so the bacon wouldn't burn and the eggs didn't frizzle too much. It may be my imagination but I swear the eggs tasted better fried on the carbon steel vs a nonstick pan.
Today we are going over to my sister's for an early Thanksgiving. Her daughter has to work on Thanksgiving so she moved the day. I am not looking forward to it because it means I will have to work.

Always better on the carbon steel bugster.

Tina burns the pan with oil in it, and it winds up that if you place a beer cap flat top down, it will stick if you turn the pan upside down. Noooo Gooood.
Cast, has to be brought up to temp slowly. and cooled slowly.

358November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Cut the grapes in half and toss them on a baking sheet w/ the sprouts.
Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle kosher salt over all.

cut the sprouts in half and use black grapes..toasted the pecans.I used my toaster oven..

359November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I really am over making a big dinner anymore.. I did not cook much when I went to DS last year..

This old mare ain't what she used to be.. Crying or Very sad

I am getting to set in my ways....

360November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper is cooking in the oven covered with foil at 250ºF slow.
Pork spare ribs dry rubbed with Mad Hunky General purpose rub.
Can't finish them on the grill because I have to reconnect it from when the siding was installed.

I will make some potato salad with ( get this ) Potatoes from Canada. Tina found a store that carries them here by her other uncles town.
I don't know what it is with potatoes from right here in the USA, but they have no good ole potato flavor / smell / etc.
DD said she is gonna grow potatoes on the farm. Whatever we don't use, will go to the pigs to eat.

I think most of these potatoes we get from the stores, are genetically produced. Lately there are no eye's on the potatoes. All types. Tina noticed that this year.

361November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I do not eat white potatoes.To many carbs...

362November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I really am over making a big dinner anymore.. I did not cook much when I went to DS last year..

Barb....I remember last year what you went throgh. LOL....actually, it's not funny.
I tell Tina....at my age of 71, I don't go anyplace further than an hour drive. When it comes toity time, I want my own toity, and that happens frequently now.

I pity my poor cousin in PA. Her both sons....GF's, and dog and two cats, are there for a week or more. She had to buy a poopy box and litter just for the cats.

363November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Cut the grapes in half and toss them on a baking sheet w/ the sprouts.
Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle kosher salt over all.

cut the sprouts in half and use black grapes..toasted the pecans.I used my toaster oven..

Thanks!

364November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:I really am over making a big dinner anymore.. I did not cook much when I went to DS last year..

Barb....I remember last year what you went throgh. LOL....actually, it's not funny.
I tell Tina....at my age of 71, I don't go anyplace further than an hour drive. When it comes toity time, I want my own toity, and that happens frequently now.

I pity my poor cousin in PA. Her both sons....GF's, and dog and two cats, are there for a week or more. She had to buy a poopy box and litter just for the cats.

yeah and get this..Because I said no to that nightmare I am on the sh^t list..well you know what.. I am the one pissed now because no one respects MY needs or wishes..This to shall pass but for now I am not to happy......

365November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

take some deep breaths and try to put it past you. You're the only one getting yourself upset and life is too short. Look forward to making something special 'just for you' and know DS isn't thinking all that much about it now that he knows you aren't going to make that trip again.

That's like when I got mad at Dane that one time.....of course, it was only once.

I stewed about what he said, what he did, what I should have done or said and didn't.....let it eat away at me for days. When I finally couldn't stand it another minute I decided to just vent and get it all cleared.....

I had my say and he said, "Huh?"

He didn't even remember the original 'discussion'........

Men are from mars and should return there promptly !!!

366November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I said to him, why do you go to dinner for week end (and take me) to a stepS and her grown kids . He says because it is easy to do that because her kids have to go to their dads and the other moms, the other ones have to drive 2hrs. AND it is just easy for everyone then have everyone come to his house...... November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 2855670339  Yet he does not see what I have to do..SMH..Plus they all but ignored me and played stupid games and drank..By the time dinner was served I.. I.. I was the only one NOT drunk...MY dogs had to be locked up and my sick cat in a bathroom..

Nope..not doing it.......

367November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

you'll feel better if you just stop stewing about it....

he'll be fine ~ and you can have a quiet holiday without the drama. Look forward to it and enjoy.

368November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh I plan on it lol........

369November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:45 pm

NormM

NormM

I made a pecan pie for Thanksgiving day.  It is the rage this year, it seems, to make it with bourbon, ginger and chocolate added in.  I hope it turns out as well as all the reviews say it is.p

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

370November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

The best one I made/make is with Kahlua..

371November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mom used to say when she got to be 62, "Wait" .... just Wait"
And we never understood. Until now! .... She said, I love your brother, and I love you jimmy, but I would rather have you guy's split it up when you come in to see us. I can't do what I used to do when I was 40. You kids will see....just "wait!"....
Holy "S".... she was so right! ....

And I guess we all have a quirk about something sometimes. And then Poor Tina and I prepare and cook a feast, and they are like, wll we have to eat early because we have to go here or there at so and so's house, and the other one...." what the heck,"why do we have to eat so early....and then the arguments start.
Now.... we say to them, "Wait" "You'll see!"...and they laugh!

And...it's the same with having others for feasts. Like family. Not once do they even offer to invite Tina and me to dinner, or even a visit for coffee and a cookie, yet,..... they can have their friends to eat over their house. Grrrrrrr!!!

372November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I like what I do. I get to cook in Lyn's big kitchen with granite countertops & two ovens. She lets me take over and do my thing. I love it!

She sets her beautiful Italian round table and before long I'm mixing Cosmos for us to drink.....

373November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG - my house smells divine!

The potatoes, onions & carrots are on a roasting pan in the oven.....the pot roast is tender. I told Dane I was finally going to open the CrockPot if he wanted to get a good sniff ~ he actually got up from his chair and hi-tailed it to the kitchen! LOL So, I gave him a tiny bite to whet his appetite. Now he's 'starving'! It's been a long time since I've cooked that Italian Pot Roast so we're both more than ready for supper.

374November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 022_1

chili relleno casserole and taco..

375November............ what's for dinner? - Page 15 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Darn, darn, DOUBLE DARN !!!

Just as I was taking the roast out of the CrockPot there was a knock on the door ~ old neighbor stopped by to pick up some plants we had started for her. I covered the meat with foil and turned off the oven.....

TWO hours later, the meat was lukewarm, I thickened the juices to make hot gravy to pour over. The potatoes were still edible but the carrots and onions were black leather. Sigh......

The meat was good. It just wasn't the meal I smelled all afternoon.

But the leftovers should make perfect Italian Beef Sandwiches. At least it's something to look forward to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum