Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November............ what's for dinner?

+4
Barbara101
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 19]

201November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Where in heaven's name do you find those things?

If you click to Quote someones post, it lines up a whole bunch of them on my right next to the composition block.

Or click on the happy face if you just post a quick post, and they will drop down.

202November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:56 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I will be glad when Beth gets back..She always notices the trouble I go to to make great low carb meals.

203November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:56 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, you must be feeling better!!

Yes, Pray for France...

Pray for the entire world....it seems like the beginning of WW3....sigh....

204November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am not sure I am cooking tonight or not. We may go out for a burger or something.

I am starting to make my Thanksgiving shopping list today. I suddenly remembered that I have a new-fangled roasting device to try out:

http://www.cameronsproducts.com/turkey-dunrite

This should be interesting. I think I hang the turkey, breast side down, to keep it moist. This year I am going to buy one of those cheap aluminum pans and put it inside my roasting pan. I am hoping it will save me some clean-up.

You know what I would like is one of those new back-lit Thermapens. I have a heck of a time reading the old one in certain types of light. The other day I actually had to use a flashlight. I have two old-style thermapens: one has a slightly melted case from my putting it too close to the flame and another that the plastic case has cracked and needs to be recalibrated. Maybe I will get lucky and they will have a black Friday special or something.

205November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, you must be feeling better!!

Yes, Pray for France...

Pray for the entire world....it seems like the beginning of WW3....sigh....

Feeling a little better....

We are praying!

206November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Niagara Visitor

I bought some liver for tonight. So liver, onions, mushrooms and red and yellow peppers.. I love liver.

207November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:35 pm

NormM

NormM

Cassie made dinner tonight. She made acorn squash with pecans, maple syrup and bacon. Also had sirloin stead, mushrooms and dinner rolls.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

208November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I bought some liver for tonight.  So liver, onions, mushrooms and red and yellow peppers..  I love liver.

Lore, I love liver. My favorite is beef liver. Not calves liver. I like the liver on the chewy side.

My mom used to make a liver casserole. Tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
It was so delicious, but I never got the recipe from her.
I remember she dropped the liver in boiling water, and so that made it easy to slice it thin.
Then she would bread it, then fry it. Layered it with the cheese and sauce, and baked it till the cheese was browned and bubbly.

209November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had beef liver, and it was delicious. On principle I do not buy calf anything, because of the way they are treated. However, I like pork liver, and the best, in my definitely not unbiased opinion, is rabbit liver. We used to have it when we raised rabbits.

210November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I eat pork liver in liverwurst and chicken livers but that is as far as I have gone with liver. I made burgers tonight and a turkey burger for Roomie and it was very good, much to my surprise.

211November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:49 pm

Niagara Visitor

I understand that for some people liver is a texture thing. My daughter-in-law who, by her own admission is the world's fussiest eater, likes liver. My hubby used to like it until he realized that the liver filters stuff in our bodies. Then he became concerned. I'm at the point that I don't worry or care about any of that any more. If I die a little sooner, so be it. I don't care/worry any more.

212November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's going to be a Pot Roast /w Potatoes / Carrots .
Dessert will be Italian Pastries from Bostons Mikes Pastry's and Modern Pastry .
Son Jim and wife were there over the weekend for the Penguins Game.

213November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Pot roast; bread nice and crusty, and pasties from Boston.

Here is a quick pic....

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 I56c2Z

214November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:37 pm

Niagara Visitor

That looks soooo good........... I do love beef! I have a small beef tenderloin and some onions and mushrooms on the stove right now.

215November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Filet of Beef Bourguignon (original recipe from Barefoot Contessa's first book):

1 (3-pound) filet of beef, trimmed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning plus 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons good olive oil
1/4 pound bacon, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups good dry red wine, such as Burgundy or Chianti (I used a Cab)
2 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/2 pound pearl onions, peeled (I used frozen)
8 to 10 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices
3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick

Cut the filet crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Ina+beef3

Season with kosher salt and pepper on both sides. In a very large, heavy bottomed pan on medium-high heat, sauté the slices of beef in batches with 3 tablespoons of olive oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the filets from the pan and set aside on a platter.

In the same pan, sauté the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain all the fat, except 2 tablespoons, from the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes.

STRAIN THE SAUCE (important step) and return it to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes (Ina calls for 20 minutes, but the carrots were not cooked enough so I increased the time), until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Ina+beef6

With a fork mash 2 tablespoons butter and the flour into a paste and whisk it gently into the sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.

Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms separately in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil for about 8 minutes until browned and tender.

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Ina+beef4

Add the filet of beef slices, the mushrooms and the bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Season to taste and serve immediately.

216November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Ina%20beef%20collage

217November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:That looks soooo good........... I do love beef!  I have a small beef tenderloin and some onions and mushrooms on the stove right now.

It was a nice piece of bottom round Angus Beef. It caramelized in the dutch cooker with the onions and carrots. The carrots came out so sweet.

Enjoy the beef .....

218November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am not sure I will ever be able to afford a fillet. It goes for a minimum of $12/lb. But your recipe looks yummy. I think I will try it with a cheaper cut of beef and cook it longer.

219November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:I am not sure I will ever be able to afford a fillet. It goes for a minimum of $12/lb. But your recipe looks yummy. I think I will try it with a cheaper cut of beef and cook it longer.

Thank you Bugs.
yes you can use chuck. I have before.

I bought this when on sale a long time ago and had it in the freezer..

220November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:02 pm

NormM

NormM

Quite a feast Barbara. I didn't cook today but a ham from Heritage Foods arrived Friday. I am going to have it with the turkey at Thanksgiving. I am doing it for the family this year. Today I cut it off the bone, vacuum packed and froze the two largest chunks and and the bone, and had a sandwich with some the rest.

221November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks Norm . I watched Jacque P. on PBS yesterday and he made a smoked ham . He simmer it for hours and then made a maple syrup glaze. Then baked it ..Gosh I'm going to get a ham lol

223November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:39 pm

NormM

NormM

The ham I ordered is already maple glazed.  If Jaques boiled the ham for hours, it must have been a country ham.  I got a city ham.

I just saw the recipe and I might reheat my ham with that glaze.

Last edited by NormM on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

224November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

225November............ what's for dinner? - Page 9 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My uncle used to smoke his own ham and it was the best ham I had ever eaten.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum