Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 21]

401August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We all had leftover spaghetti sandwiches. Pieces of Pepperidge Farms garlic bread with spaghetti and meat sauce piled on top. Sounds strange but it was tasty.

402August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I'm proud.

Supper was three small slices of meatloaf. No bread. No sweets for dessert.
I did grab two slices of salami, and stuck it onto one slice of white american bread.
OOOooooooo!!.... I savored every teeny tiny bite.
Now normally, I would have two full sandwiches. I felt better too, and not all puffed up.

Tina just heated pizza bites, and she said here are yours. I said. No thanks!
too many carbs hon! ....

Good job on avoiding the carbs, Jimmy. Now we gotta work on you including more variety....salads, vegetables, fruits, etc. Otherwise you'll 'be starving' and will resort to previous feel-good foods.

But stretch your arm around and give yourself a good pat on the back. You done good!

403August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:00 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I'm proud.

Supper was three small slices of meatloaf. No bread. No sweets for dessert.
I did grab two slices of salami, and stuck it onto one slice of white american bread.
OOOooooooo!!.... I savored every teeny tiny bite.
Now normally, I would have two full sandwiches. I felt better too, and not all puffed up.

Tina just heated pizza bites, and she said here are yours. I said. No thanks!
too many carbs hon! ....

cheers August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 3561122519 August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 911454047 August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 940422454 August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 940422454

404August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:02 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Tina just heated pizza bites, and she said here are yours.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad

405August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally have time today to process the tomatoes Dane brought me from Ohio.  They are perfectly ripe and ready to go.  So, I've got them washed & quartered and simmering with whatever vegetables I had, plus a huge handful of basil leaves from my backyard.  It sure smells good.  I figure I can just simmer it down until everything breaks down and starts to reduce.  I used onion, celery, carrot, a couple lonely peppers that were still in the refrigerator from the ones I grew (must have lasted a good month wrapped in plastic and sitting in the vege drawer!), parsley from outside and the basil.  

When it's all soft and broken down in the pot I'll let it cool down just a bit and then run it through my food mill.  That thing is wonderful.  It will separate all the solids and just give me the mush & juice that I can then add herbs & stuff to and simmer down even more before storing in the freezer for when I need marinara.

Just walked outside and realized I didn't cut any of the thyme....what was I thinking? Thyme, basil & tomatoes are such a good mix!

And I know I've got some raw meatballs in the freezer. I KNOW what I'll be making first ~ Jimmy's tender meatballs in sauce! Yea!!

406August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:48 pm

Niagara Visitor

Thanks for the recipe and link to your blog.  The recipe seems to have a lot of ingredients, but anything good is worth it, right?  I will make this soon, and then invite someone for dinner.  Most of my friends/family are always up for trying an experiment or something new.  And, most love seafood.  Except my sister who is kinda fussy.  Fish isn't allowed to be  "fishy".  

Can't get my head around that expression.  Fish, not fishy???? Then eat chicken is my answer! Rolling Eyes

407August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I sure miss peppers. DH isn't crazy about them and Roomie is allergic to them, so I have omitted them from everything I make. They sure are good in Denver omelets.

408August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I finally have time today to process the tomatoes Dane brought me from Ohio.  They are perfectly ripe and ready to go.  So, I've got them washed & quartered and simmering with whatever vegetables I had, plus a huge handful of basil leaves from my backyard.  It sure smells good.  I figure I can just simmer it down until everything breaks down and starts to reduce.  I used onion, celery, carrot, a couple lonely peppers that were still in the refrigerator from the ones I grew (must have lasted a good month wrapped in plastic and sitting in the vege drawer!), parsley from outside and the basil.  

When it's all soft and broken down in the pot I'll let it cool down just a bit and then run it through my food mill.  That thing is wonderful.  It will separate all the solids and just give me the mush & juice that I can then add herbs & stuff to and simmer down even more before storing in the freezer for when I need marinara.

Just walked outside and realized I didn't cut any of the thyme....what was I thinking?  Thyme, basil & tomatoes are such a good mix!

And I know I've got some raw meatballs in the freezer.  I KNOW what I'll be making first ~ Jimmy's tender meatballs in sauce!  Yea!!

Sounds good to me Beth..... Tina does that with the meatballs too. She puts them on sheet pans and freezes them, and then in a bags. Sherrie came over the other day, and didn't know what she was to make for Jimmy Jr. Tina gave her the meatballs to drop in tomato sauce and cooked in like two hours. It saved her so much time and effort.

409August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I sure miss peppers. DH isn't crazy about them and Roomie is allergic to them, so I have omitted them from everything I make. They sure are good in Denver omelets.

I love peppers like in macaroni salad. To eat a raw peppers like for dipping in spreads, I don't like that. If they are chopped and in salads, they are great. for me anyway!

410August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though I've got the tomato sauce made, tonight will be a chicken stir fry. Last Thursday Dane & I went to the Farmers' Market and I picked up baby bok choy and pea pods from a local farm. With all the hospital runs, errands with Barb, etc., I had not had a chance to cook them. I don't want them to go south so tonight is it! I've got all my vegetables prepped and my chicken marinating. My stir fry never turn out the same.....I just add a little of this and a little of that, hoping everything tastes good in the end.

411August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Pizza tonight. I just finished making the dough and it is a bit sticky. I hope it turns out ok. We have been having a heat wave and I turned on the air early. My electric bill is going to be high. It is supposed to get over 100 today. I have the thermostat set at 80. I hope it will cycle on and off. It has been so hot that it stays on all the time. We really need a new unit but just can't afford it.

412August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Pizza tonight. I just finished making the dough and it is a bit sticky. I hope it turns out ok. We have been having a heat wave and I turned on the air early. My electric bill is going to be high. It is supposed to get over 100 today. I have the thermostat set at 80. I hope it will cycle on and off. It has been so hot that it stays on all the time. We really need a new unit but just can't afford it.

Yeah bugs.... the newer units are much more energy efficient.

It's like me....I still have the system that I built and installed from damaged stuff that I pulled from the dumpster. It cools super beautiful, but the electric bill....ho ho ho..$$$$$$....mucho denero!

I have a friend that I got a unit that I pulled out, and the date of manufacture is 1962. I had it in my house, and when I got a newer one, I gave it to them, and installed it.
It runs beer can cold. 90º outside / 70º inside. Can't beat that.

413August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We all had leftover spaghetti sandwiches. Pieces of Pepperidge Farms garlic bread with spaghetti and meat sauce piled on top. Sounds strange but it was tasty.

Oh Bugs...they sure are good. My mom always ate them. We thought she was crazy, untill we tried them. Brother and I ate them, but Only With Leftover spaghetti. Didn't heat the spaghetti, but we would toast the bread, and lightly butter the bread, then pile spaghetti on and cover with the remaining slice.
The flavor is unbelievable.
Tina makes them too. She will sometimes make one as a snack.

Different food, but she also makes banana sandwiches on toast. No peanut butter, but just the banana sliced lengthwise on buttered toast.

414August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:21 pm

NormM

NormM

Niagara Visitor wrote:Thanks for the recipe and link to your blog.  The recipe seems to have a lot of ingredients, but anything good is worth it, right?  I will make this soon, and then invite someone for dinner.  Most of my friends/family are always up for trying an experiment or something new.  And, most love seafood.  Except my sister who is kinda fussy.  Fish isn't allowed to be  "fishy".  

Can't get my head around that expression.  Fish, not fishy???? Then eat chicken is my answer! Rolling Eyes

I did step #1. about an hour ahead. Step #2. & 3. a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator until ready to heat. It was very good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

415August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, I feel better about tonight's pic.....it's gotta be a more healthy option than last night's cracker breaded pork chop! LOL

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 08.28.15

416August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 11218933_10206401607551664_1844167597577423321_n

I went all out..chicken salad in pita.. August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 1838020472

417August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a liverwurst on thin sliced pullman bread....not slathered with mayo, just a tsp spread on the bread. For dessert, a bag of assorted heart health nuts. I'm full, and I don't feel bloated and puffed up. I must say, I do have good will power.

418August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:07 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good for you. Been a while since I had braunschwieger in the house. That just may make it on to my grocery list soon. Hmmmmmm......

419August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:20 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I want liverwurst. I want Oscar Mayer liverwurst. It has vanished from all the local grocery stores shelves. All they have is Farmer John. I am going to have to contact OM and see where I can find it. I used their store locator and it said it wasn't available. What the hell?

420August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I want liverwurst. I want Oscar Mayer liverwurst. It has vanished from all the local grocery stores shelves. All they have is Farmer John. I am going to have to contact OM and see where I can find it. I used their store locator and it said it wasn't available. What the hell?

Never had Oscar Mayer liverwurst....have to check it out. If we have it?

I like the "Jones'" one in the small tube, or the sliced.
Naturally if we are in PA Dutch area, we will get the one filled in the casing, and sewed with twine.

Tina likes mustard on hers, but I am weird. I like thin sliced onion, and a little mayonnaise.

421August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Braunschwieger with MWhip & yellow mustard & onion & lettuce....on white bread. That's the way it is in our house. I only buy it once or twice a year, but, man-oh-man, I'm gettin' hungry for it now!

I have the meatballs simmering in the homemade sauce. I had three parmesan rinds in the refrigerator and tossed all three in the pot. I always forget to add them so this was the perfect opportunity since everything is homemade.

After they simmer for 45 minutes or so I'll take the lid off and let it reduce down until it gets as thick as I want for my pasta. I think it's gonna be linguine...don't think I want angel hair.

I'll toss together a nice romaine salad, too, I think. I'd really like some nice crusty bread to go along with it but I probably shouldn't.....we'll see if my will power is working today (it's not usually....I think it's broken!).

422August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm

NormM

NormM

I've recently bought OM liver cheese in grocery stores here.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

423August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Niagara Visitor

I've never heard of it in Canada, but "Leber Kaese" or liver cheese is big in the southern part of Germany.  Interesting is the fact that there's no liver, nor cheese in the product, so it would be  interesting to me to find out what it is in the US.

424August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I just had ( I will call it a prelude ) before supper, some rice and black beans. With that, some cod fish in small pieces. From dried cod fillets. Tina brought it from her uncles neighbour.
The woman is from Spain Originally. The fish was dry and stinky. The way I like my fish.
I only had like a 1/4 cup of the rice, and 4 small pieces of the cod fish.
I should take a pic and post it later with our main meal which Tina has to pick up at this place.
I will show that later. All I can say for now, is this stuff she is getting is a Carb lovers delight!
I better triple my dose of Metaformin after eating that.

425August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tell Tina for me that she is the Queen of Meatballs! I simmered my (raw/thawed) meatballs in my homemade sauce for 45 minutes with the lid on, then 45 minutes at a low simmer to reduce the watery liquid in the sauce. Last 20 minutes I added my sauted mushrooms. The meatballs were tender and moist and IMO, flavored the sauce perfectly.

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 17 08.29.15

(OK, so I DID get some bread....but, in my defense, I only ate half of mine. Mr. Amazing looked at my plate when I was about done and asked, "you going to eat that?" So, because he's been good lately, I let him have my baguette without forking his wrist!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum