Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
cookingirl
Crybaby
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

151DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:06 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:"I'm sure everything will go well!"......

That's all that has to be said.  Nothin' you can do about the situation and you know it.

Yeah!... on the other hand... one must not underestimate the power of a woman.

Dad used to say to us..."Don't forget, it takes a Woman to Make a Man!"

152DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane ate a late lunch after golf.

I've been working on getting ready for the community garage sale that starts in the morning. I couldn't care less about food....just too tired.

If I ever volunteer for this junk again, I hope I think twice...or six times.

What a dummy!

153DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Actually, I misunderstood! As Usual!!

DIL came from work today... TO LEARN how to make the breaded chicken.
She did all the sticky breading and frying with Tina as the instructress!

She did great... I felt bad not eating the chicken, but I would have if tina would have cut a few pieces ultra thin so that it gets well done and crispy.

There was mashed potatoes, and brown gravy, and cut green beans.

They all enjoyed the meal, and had a ton of chicken to take home. Good!

I had left over sausage and peppers from the other day.

154DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, now, aren't you glad you didn't make any comment that would have had you eating out of a dog bowl on the kitchen floor?

Good call, my friend, good call!

LOL

155DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:30 am

Niagara Visitor

Busy day today looking after some legalities still with hubby's estate etc., Thursdays I have a night school class, so it was a Wendy's crispy chicken burger for supper............. Yummy, Yummy!

I am taking a night class in Floral arranging, something that has always interested me. It is geared to people who will want to have a career in the industry, so some of it is really not interesting to me, but I'm having fun, there are nice young people in the class.

I'm old enough to be grandmother to most of them! I get to take something home after every class, so there are always flowers here.

I have not learned to make the blasted bows that seem to be necessary on all arrangements. Hate making them, I am no Martha Stewart!

156DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well, now, aren't you glad you didn't make any comment that would have had you eating out of a dog bowl on the kitchen floor?

Good call, my friend, good call!

LOL

Yeah... good call thank God!

Speaking of eating like a dog...I remember the story mom told us as kids.

True story:

Mom and her sister were eating sloppily at the table and fighting and kicking each other. Her father said," You Finish to be so silly and disrepect at the table?"

Get outside! ( The two of them ). He put a burlap sack on them, and tied them to the post underneath the porch with a chain. He said,"You want to act lika the dog? then you be lika the dog!"

They were so scared and embarrassed, they hid underneath the porch steps so that their friends and the other kids wouldn't see them, and make fun of them.

I could just see someone trying that today! LOL...they would be in jail for child abuse.

They never acted up at the table again! .... Mom said they were 7 and 9.

157DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Busy day today looking after some legalities still with hubby's estate etc.,  Thursdays I have a night school class, so it was a Wendy's crispy chicken burger for supper............. Yummy, Yummy!

I am taking a night class in Floral arranging, something that has always interested me.  It is geared to people who will want to have a career in the industry, so some of it is really not interesting to me, but I'm having fun, there are nice young people in the class.

I'm old enough to be grandmother to most of them! I get to take something home after every class, so there are always flowers here.  

I have not learned to make the blasted bows that seem to be necessary on all arrangements.  Hate making them, I am no Martha Stewart!

Lore, it does sound interesting as a hobby.
I remember Mom making flowers and pedals and bows out of that Crepe Paper. She was self taught by buying some and tearing them apart. Dad would help her with the stems made with wires wrapped with green paper.

She and dad would go up on the highway, and she sold them from the trunk of the car.

Brother and I were fascinated at the crepe paper. It came in like 24 inch long flatly rolled up with like 3 yards on the flat roll. We found out, that if the paper was soaked in water, the dye would bleed out, and color the water.
We would soak a wad of paper, and wrap it on our body and it would stain the skin. It washed off after vigorous scrubbing with fells naptha soap.

We looked like two rainbows running around. Idiots we were! LOL

158DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:35 am

Niagara Visitor

Weren't we all foolish when we were young. This is definitely not that kind of hobby. The course is quite expensive, but in the end it is a certificate as a floral designer. We use a lot of product which is expensive in the fall/winter in Canada. Some of the things we have to learn are quite boring to me, but then, I've been picking/arranging flowers for a long time. I think for some of the young people, and especially for the two young men in the class it's quite likely that it is the first time they have ever done anything like that.

A few weeks ago we had to make a corsage. Instructor said that if we plan to work in the industry, we have to make a perfect one in 10 minute................. mine took over an hour!

However, back to cooking, I feel that there is some chili in today's future. Temps are down, there was some white stuff falling down yesterday so something tummy warming sounds good!

159DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a KA pasta maker I thought I would try today. I pulled out the cutter and found the plastic on the underside of the roller was cracked. I have never used the thing so I was a bit surprised. I will have my DH use some epoxy glue in the cracks. The second surprise I found was that the pasta set would not fit on my KA. The pin that fits into the side groove is too big. Wonderful. So my DH took a pair of pliers and pulled the pin out. Fortunately, there is a groove on the shaft where the tightening screw can rest. I think he will grind down those pins for me.
The pasta making was quite a learning experience. I have flour from one end of the kitchen to the other and my mixer looks a mess. I managed to make some tagliatelle and it is in nests drying out on the counter. I will freeze them. I have to give a batch a try with some alfredo sauce because the pasta may be tough. I may have to toss everything. Now I am too tired to make dinner. I guess it will be hot dogs tonight.

160DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 10428092_1541023376138433_3512455953102093805_n

Pork steak , Fried apple,veggies.

161DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"Susans Meatballs" tonight.

ground beef....fresh bread cubes / onions / egg....and covered with two cans dark cream of mushroom soup, then baked 350 oven for 50 minutes.

Had them with peas and carrots, and mashed potatoes. Good Meal.

162DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I reheated the leftover grilled ribs, added freshly baked potatoes & spinach with bacon & shallot.....

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 111514

Thank heavens the 'garage sale' is over. Two days of watching people try and decide if they needed/wanted perfectly good items or if they should just check out what was for sale and then walk away.....how I dislike the entire process. But, I did get rid of a ton of 'useless to me' things so I hope our customers were happy with their purchase. Where else can you buy 'practically new' pyrex casserole dishes for $2 or Revere Ware pans for $1?

163DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Garage sales! Out here people think they are selling gold. I went to one a couple of months ago and the woman holding the sale wanted $5 for Tupperware pasta container. And then when you have a garage sale and things are priced at 25 cents, they want you to pay them to take it away. Then there are the thieves: they come in a large group, spread out and steal. I am so over garage sales.

164DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Caulifritters2

I have been so stressed today & I am sure it will continue for the next week, affraid pale pale

dinner was fast..I do not feel like cooking or eating..Plate 'could' be anything cakes ..It happens to be cauliflower...

165DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I reheated the leftover grilled ribs, added freshly baked potatoes & spinach with bacon & shallot.....

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 111514

Thank heavens the 'garage sale' is over.  Two days of watching people try and decide if they needed/wanted perfectly good items or if they should just check out what was for sale and then walk away.....how I dislike the entire process.  But, I did get rid of a ton of 'useless to me' things so I hope our customers were happy with their purchase.  Where else can you buy 'practically new' pyrex casserole dishes for $2 or Revere Ware pans for $1?

Looks good Beth.
I'll bet you really enjoyed that meal after the sale day?

Now you can devote time to rest, and spend the money you made from the sale, on some new cooking stuff!...LOL

166DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Caulifritters2

I have been so stressed today & I am sure it will continue for the next week, affraid pale pale

dinner was fast..I do not feel like cooking or eating..Plate 'could' be anything cakes ..It happens to be cauliflower...

Those look good Barb!....

167DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had some kind of soup Tina made from a soup mix she got when she was in PA dutch country. Dried peas, corn , barley, and alphabet noodles.
I ate some, and had to bite it off the spoon. It was like wallpaper paste. Like eating pudding.
I will chuck it later.

Tina ran out and picked up a pizza pie. We all nomd on that!

168DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Garage sales! Out here people think they are selling gold. I went to one a couple of months ago and the woman holding the sale wanted $5 for Tupperware pasta container. And then when you have a garage sale and things are priced at 25 cents, they want you to pay them to take it away. Then there are the thieves: they come in a large group, spread out and steal. I am so over garage sales.

I will have nothing to do with a garage sale. I just cannot stand the questions from the buyers. Like... $1.00 on three VHS tapes of North and South, and a lady asks,"Can I Buy Just One?" .... I said,"Yeah, for a $1.00 !" It's a set, so why would you only want one?" duhhhhh!!!!... and the lady is a teacher! No

169DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Now you can devote time to rest, and spend the money you made from the sale, on some new cooking stuff!...LOL[/font][/size]

Actually, Jimmy, my intent was to free up a bunch of 'real estate' in my storage cabinets and kitchen cabinets. We moved here almost 2 years ago and I inherited a huge amount of the previous owner's kitchenware and decorative items (stuff that is just not my style....).

I want to have a couple electrical outlets installed in the garage so I can move the refrigerator to a spot that will be more convenient and I didn't want to invest any more of MY money into it. Call me frugal....call me cheap. I figured the sale would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone! LOL

Oh, and I want to buy a little butane torch to brulee with....Dane didn't bring "my" big one he always used to solder with (how rude!). He said all the plumbing here is PVC and not copper so he didn't need it.

170DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We invited a couple friends over for supper. I'm making beef and noodles to serve over mashed potatoes......a meal NOT approved by Barb! LOL I also have some fresh bakery rolls to heat up to catch all the excess gravy and I'll throw together a small fresh salad. I think I'll call it my "Anti-Atkins" meal.

I made some mini banana muffins this afternoon - dessert will be some of the icebox cookies or banana muffins (or both).

171DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh I approve..Sound wonderful..

172DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Niagara Visitor

I think I'm getting into the idea of cooking for one.  Made a mini meatloaf for myself for tonight.  Then, I needed to go to the grocery store for stuff to make a cheesecake, and what did I find????
Chanterelle mushrooms, my absolute favourites!

I was in Germany in late July and had what I think has to be right up there in the best meals that I have ever had, it was a venison goulash with chanterelles.  I have never seen them here in grocery stores before, so this is very special.  I think they are in season in July/August in Germany, for my sister was there last August and she said that they were on many menus.

Now, of course, comes the problem.............. can I make them taste even remotely like they did over there?  In one of my German cookbooks it says just to sautee in butter with two or three cloves of garlic, but remove garlic after it has infused their flavour in the butter, add some fresh parsley, and that's it.  Wish me luck!

In the southern part of Germany (where we used to live all those years ago), these delicious mushrooms grow in the evergreen forests

Re: Garage sales. My children said to me many times in the last year..............."Mom, we could have a huge garage sale here, or we could put stuff on Kijiji for you." I said "fine, you take the stuff to your house, you sell it and you can keep the money." I just did not want to have people coming to the house, haggling with me over a few dollars. I am very, very lucky, I was able to say, I don't need a few dollars that badly. The local Christian Benefit shop got loads and loads of stuff, Habitat for Humanity got a lot of hubby's tools etc. etc. and I found people, some friends of my children with young families, who were happy to take some furniture. I had linens for 6 bedrooms!

However, I like to go to garage sales. And I don't haggle about prices.

173DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought some chanterelles about 10 years ago at a gourmet grocery. At that time they were $40/lb. Unfortunately, I can't remember what they tasted like.

174DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 10624585_10202694855559956_7103700372014199223_n

175DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: DINNER... NOVEMBER, 2014 Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We invited a couple friends over for supper.  I'm making beef and noodles to serve over mashed potatoes......a meal NOT approved by Barb!  LOL  I also have some fresh bakery rolls to heat up to catch all the excess gravy and I'll throw together a small fresh salad.  I think I'll call it my "Anti-Atkins" meal.

I made some mini banana muffins this afternoon - dessert will be some of the icebox cookies or banana muffins (or both).

Wow!....that sounds like a warming supper.

We haven't had that in ages. I like your idea of buns to sop up the gravy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum