Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leftover or 'getting-past-prime' fruit

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Leftover or 'getting-past-prime' fruit Empty Leftover or 'getting-past-prime' fruit Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had about 3/4 c. of leftover sliced strawberries from last night's shortcake dessert. They don't look all that appetizing this morning. What to do? I sure hate to waste anything, especially with the cost of food these days.

So, right now those strawberries in syrup are slowly simmering into a soft mess I will push through a strainer to have a strawberry syrup. I'll put it into a zip bag and stash it in the freezer to use as a condiment for some other dessert.

I also have 3 peaches that haven't seen the light of day for a while. They got ripe and I put them in a dish in the fridge ~ then promptly forgot about them. Not a pretty picture.

But I think I'm going to turn them into a nice peach sauce done the same way as the strawberries.

Just an idea to think about....

2Leftover or 'getting-past-prime' fruit Empty latest trip to the store Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

NormM

NormM

Post moved to more appropriate place

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

sounds good to me. smoothie?

4Leftover or 'getting-past-prime' fruit Empty Re: Leftover or 'getting-past-prime' fruit Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 am

Niagara Visitor

If you puree the fruit, add it to a muffin mix, reduce the regular liquid by the same amount of fruit.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Excellent idea - I'm thinking pureed peaches with an oatmeal muffin....hmmmm

the ideas are limitless!

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum