Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All this leftover Ham

+2
bethk
Barbara101
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1All this leftover Ham Empty All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

what to do with it???

bone & scraps for pea soup & pot of beans.

I may make a stir fry lol. With asparagus ..

Another meal with just big slices..
I may just slice it up & toss it the freezer too.

??

2All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Omelets

Ham & Peas in cream sauce on noodles or biscuits

Scalloped potatoes & ham casserole

Ham & Cheese Pannini sandwich

hmmmm, that's all I got at the moment.

3All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh those are great. Except for the potato one.I have sweets but not white.

Big ole omelets  All this leftover Ham 3602300868 with asparagus..

4All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:16 pm

NormM

NormM

I make ham and beans, then with the leftover ham and beans, I make baked beans.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Fortunately for me, my ham was VERY small....under 3# and much of that bone. But that's OK with me. We have enough thin sliced ham for a few sandwiches, a couple bags of chopped for omelettes or creamed ham and scraps to go into my bean soup.

The ham bone and all the trimmings are currently in a big ole pot on the stove with some carrot, onion & celery tops. After it simmers for 5 or 6 hours I'll strain, cool and then degrease before using the broth for the beans. I know a pot of bean soup will go over big with a certain guy.

6All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I just a big ham, about 8 lbs last night, still in the wrap, no idea what to do with it yet.. but no worry, my DH loves ham and I told him, he could have it all except the bone and the meat surrounded it ( my favorite part )  All this leftover Ham 1838020472 lol! 

7All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I like my ham and bean soup, with nutmeg, so so good

8All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We will find use for the ham, but I was mentioning to Tina, that I havn't had ham croquetts in years. I have to find a recipe, or if someone has an easy tasty recipe for them, I would appreciate it.

I know there is like a white sauce with bacon bits they pour over the croquetts!

9All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:12 pm

NormM

NormM

Mom used to make ham loaf. There is ham salad, ham and eggs, deviled ham and I have a recipe for Croatian Nadjev which is stuffed in sausage casings. It has ham, day old bread, onion, eggs, and pepper.

10All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Can you freeze leftover ham?
I have too much leftover..
thanks everyone!

11All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 pm

NormM

NormM

If tightly sealed in plastic, freezer wrap or heavy duty foil it will keep in the freezer for at least 3 to 4 months.

12All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had leftover ham, and I sliced some, and diced some. I placed it in the vacuum seal bags, and stored it for a year. I found the lonely lost baggies, and the ham looked like gray / yellow in color, and smelled freezer burnt and rancid. See...with the sodium used to preseve the smoked hams, it's the sodium that breaks down the meat in due time.

Like Norm said.... 4 / 5 months would be about the maximum freezing time for ham.
Even sausage. They degrade after a short 3 or 4 months.

13All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A funny but true story.

I had (she is deceased now ) a cousin that had ham for supper. At night, she and her S.O. were in bed in their baby doll PJ's ( remember them?) and as they were watching TV, they sat with the ham on a TV tray, and pick pick cut cut chop chopped little pieces of ham with each their own little paring knives. They ate the whole ham.
I know this, because my other cousin Dee, dropped in during the Christmas Holiday week, and saw it with her own eye's! .... Every Time I carve Ham, I think of them chomping on that ham. haaaaaaaaaaaa!.....
Yesterday, My daughter said to me,"Daddy, you wanna carve up the ham?" and In a split second, she burst out laughing, and said, "I know dad, you're gonna tell the story about cousin Glenda and the ham in the bed!" OMG That was so funny!!!!
See...even my kids know the story.

Holy Jeepers, can you just see those bed sheets with shards of ham and fat. Whew!

14All this leftover Ham Empty Re: All this leftover Ham Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

wow thanks guys.I sure did not know that . Better take my Ita sausage out. Mark the ham with a date.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum