Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sour Cream Peach Pie

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Sour Cream Peach Pie Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally broke down and bought some peaches at the grocery store. When I approached the display there was the lovely fragrance of PEACH ! They are as good as they smell !

I'm thinking of getting up really early tomorrow and making a faux Sour Cream Peach Pie. My grandma made that pie and a sour cream apple pie that were killer.

I thought I'd make it in a tart shell to keep it thin, a short crust with peach slices arranged on top. Then I'll pour over a mixture of sour cream, brown sugar, white sugar, egg and maybe a touch of cornstarch....a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg, but just the tiniest pinch.

Then, instead of a,top crust I'll do a crumble crunch topping with flour, sugar, brown sugar and butter. I like the combination of brown and white sugar for the caramel flavour it adds, especially with the peaches.

I should wait until it cools a bit....maybe I will just eat the peaches I got this week and plan to bake next week when it's suppose to cool down a little.

2Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I finally broke down and bought some peaches at the grocery store.  When I approached the display there was the lovely fragrance of PEACH !  They are as good as they smell !

I'm thinking of getting up really early tomorrow and making a faux Sour Cream Peach Pie.  My grandma made that pie and a sour cream apple pie that were killer.

I thought I'd make it in a tart shell to keep it thin, a short crust with peach slices arranged on top.  Then I'll pour over a mixture of sour cream, brown sugar, white sugar, egg and maybe a touch of cornstarch....a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg, but just the tiniest pinch.

Then, instead of a,top crust I'll do a crumble crunch topping with flour, sugar, brown sugar and butter.  I like the combination of brown and white sugar for the caramel flavour it adds, especially with the peaches.

I should wait until it cools a bit....maybe I will just eat the peaches I got this week and plan to bake next week when it's suppose to cool down a little.  

that sounds delicious Beth.. I bought a lot of peaches lately for smoothies, never thought of making pie with them..

3Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane loves ANY fruit pie, as well as lemon meringue, banana cream, chocolate, pecan.....well, you get the idea. LOL

The only problem is he usually only wants one or maybe two pieces and then he's had his fill and guess who ends up eating the other 6 slices? I might as well just put the rest of the pie in my pockets and wrap myself in Saran Wrap....that's where it's all gonna end up !

I should have made some little "hand pies" or turnovers instead of a whole pie. Glad I thought of that now that the pie is baked.....oh, well, I guess we'll just have to suffer through eating it.

4Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:52 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Next time you have some peaches, try this one. It was handed down to a friend by her mother and is super easy to make especially with a ready-made shell. Every time I make this, people go wild. I added the vanilla and extra cornstarch as my peaches are always pretty juicy. Below is the recipe as I make it.

PEACH CREAM PIE

1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
6 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
5 Tbsp. cornstarch (2-3 orig. recipe)
pinch of salt
1 cup heavy cream, do NOT whip
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt together. Add the cream and vanilla to mixture, a stir until well-combined. Place the peaches into the pie shell and pour the cream mixture over them. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and lower the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes or until peaches are tender. If the crust is getting too brown, cover edges with foil during last 10-15 minutes of baking or use a crust shield, if you have one.

5Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

For some weird reason I must have bought a chocolate pie crust in one of those tin pans.???IDK why?

I found it the other day pushed way back in the cab. Might as well make some sort of pie.cherry 

6Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pea, I've made similar recipe, I don't remember anyone refusing a piece....lol

I think thats a peaches and cream pie, isn't it? It's always a hit. I normally like my fruit pies with less or no spices like cinnamon or nutmeg, the usual pairings. I much prefer the taste of the fruit come through. But the vanilla, as in your recipe, seems to enhance the fruitiness and I do like that a lot. The other thing that I like with peaches is switching out some of the white sugar for brown sugar. It seems to make the peaches more peachy tasting, IMO.

Thanks for your recipe. I'll copy it over when I get back to the villa and my desktop pc.

7Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:32 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I'm like you, I don't like a lot of spice in my fruit pies, I do put a little freshly grated nutmeg in my blueberry pie instead of cinnamon and lots of grated lemon rind. I think you're right about the vanilla enhancing the fruitiness -- I add vanilla into my apple sauce when I can it and into pear preserves. I also sub out white sugar for brown in some of my recipes or go half and half.

8Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:11 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:For some weird reason I must have bought a chocolate pie crust in one of those tin pans.???IDK why?

I found it the other day pushed way back in the cab. Might as  well make some sort of pie.cherry 

A key lime pie is great in that chocolate pie crust, B.

9Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhhh, Barb.....that sounds good.

And if you're gonna have to adjust your entire carb count for the day so you can have a piece of your SF key lime pie in that crust, well, I would think it would be worth it.

That sounds good!

10Sour Cream Peach Pie Empty Re: Sour Cream Peach Pie Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:50 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

It really is good, Beth!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum