Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peach Pies

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Peach Pies Empty Peach Pies Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Tommy is a Good Ole Georgia Boy ~ and whenever they are having company coming from Georgia he always asks his family or friends to bring him a bunch of sweet Georgia peaches. This time he gave me a dozen, knowing full well I'd be making him a peach pie. Pies are my 'love' to make even though they really are pretty labor intensive. I'm sure it's because I learned at a young age (from watching and helping Grandma) how to make a delicious, flaky pie crust. My mother, bless her soul, could not make a pie crust to save herself and, when I turned 13 she turned the pie making task over to me exclusively. Unfortunately, after they changed the ingredients in Crisco (to make it more healthy they said) I could no longer whip up a pie crust to be proud of. So, now days I buy the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts and make do with those.

Even though pies are baking, and most baking is a science of ingredients, that isn't the case. It's more dependent upon 'knowing' how much sweetness and thickening to use. There are some 'tricks' along the way, but it's much more of a 'tried and true' art.

I started with 12 peaches, blanched them in boiling water for about 1 minute and then put them into a sink full of cold water to stop the cooking process. I usually cut the peaches in half, cutting around the 'wrong way', not where the natural crease is but through the rounded part so it's a bit easier to remove the pit if it sticks to the flesh. When they were all halved they got sliced into wedges ~ all done in my 'antique' Tupperware 'Big Green Bowl' (doesn't EVERYONE have one of those?). I did take 3 of the peaches and chopped them fine to cook down and add about 1/4 c. Instant Tapioca and 1/2 c. Brown Sugar to be used to help thicken the pies. To the sliced peaches I added some brown sugar, a very scant sprinkle of cinnamon (less than 1/4 t. for 3 pies) and the same of ground ginger. I much prefer the taste of the fruit to shine. Oh, and I also added about 2 Tbsp. of corn starch to the sliced peaches because after a couple minutes of being mixed with the spices and brown sugar they seemed REALLY juicy. That's what I mean about it not being so much a recipe as experience when making fruit pies.....

Then I prepped my pie crusts. I rolled the refrigerated dough rounds a bit to thin and smooth them and carefully placed them into the pie pans trying to not get any creases as I eased them to the bottom of the pans. The top crusts got rolled to flatten and then I cut them into strips to weave for a lattice top crust. I did the weaving on a piece of parchment paper on the counter and when woven I pressed an upsidedown pie plate on the crust to seal the strips together and then used the pie plate as a way to cut around the crust so it would just fit the top of the pie. Before adding the peach filling I brushed a beaten egg on the entire bottom of the crust as it helps seal the crust as it bakes and you don't end up with a 'soggy bottom' pie. I was able to 'roll' the woven crust around my rolling pin to move it to top the filled pie. The overhanging edges of the bottom crust got trimmed and folded over the lattice and then crimped. Finally, the lattice got brushed with a bit of watered down egg wash and sprinkled with sugar.

I baked the pies ~ ON FOIL LINED BAKING SHEETS ! ~ at 450° for 15 minutes and then reduced the oven temperature to 350° for another 40 minutes, or until the top was golden. The fruit pies must be completely cool before they are cut.

Here is a lattice top as I pressed to seal with a pie plate:

Peach Pies Woven_10

The trimmed lattice crust ready to be rolled on the rolling pin and transferred to the pie:

Peach Pies Trimme10

As I stressed, ALWAYS BAKE FRUIT PIES ON A FOIL LINED SHEET PAN, being sure the foil is wider than the edges of the pie plate.

Peach Pies Always10

Here are the two pies I'll gift to Tommy & Joann and another neighbor......

Peach Pies Peach_10

Peach Pies Peach_11

And, finally, here is what I'm calling my 'Polka Dot' Peach Pie ~ I tried to roll my one remaining available pie crust to allow for something to dot the top of the pie since I ended up with excess filling to bake ~ the crust was rolled too thin and got too browned, but someone will gladly eat what they want and push away the 'too browned' bits of crust.

Peach Pies Leftov10

2Peach Pies Empty Re: Peach Pies Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Neighbor Tommy is a Good Ole Georgia Boy ~ and whenever they are having company coming from Georgia he always asks his family or friends to bring him a bunch of sweet Georgia peaches.  This time he gave me a dozen, knowing full well I'd be making him a peach pie.  Pies are my 'love' to make even though they really are pretty labor intensive.  I'm sure it's because I learned at a young age (from watching and helping Grandma) how to make a delicious, flaky pie crust.  My mother, bless her soul, could not make a pie crust to save herself and, when I turned 13 she turned the pie making task over to me exclusively.  Unfortunately, after they changed the ingredients in Crisco (to make it more healthy they said) I could no longer whip up a pie crust to be proud of.  So, now days I buy the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts and make do with those.

Even though pies are baking, and most baking is a science of ingredients, that isn't the case.  It's more dependent upon 'knowing' how much sweetness and thickening to use.  There are some 'tricks' along the way, but it's much more of a 'tried and true' art.  

I started with 12 peaches, blanched them in boiling water for about 1 minute and then put them into a sink full of cold water to stop the cooking process.  I usually cut the peaches in half, cutting around the 'wrong way', not where the natural crease is but through the rounded part so it's a bit easier to remove the pit if it sticks to the flesh.  When they were all halved they got sliced into wedges ~ all done in my 'antique' Tupperware 'Big Green Bowl' (doesn't EVERYONE have one of those?).  I did take 3 of the peaches and chopped them fine to cook down and add about 1/4 c. Instant Tapioca and 1/2 c. Brown Sugar to be used to help thicken the pies.  To the sliced peaches I added some brown sugar, a very scant sprinkle of cinnamon (less than 1/4 t. for 3 pies) and the same of ground ginger.  I much prefer the taste of the fruit to shine.  Oh, and I also added about 2 Tbsp. of corn starch to the sliced peaches because after a couple minutes of being mixed with the spices and brown sugar they seemed REALLY juicy.  That's what I mean about it not being so much a recipe as experience when making fruit pies.....

Then I prepped my pie crusts.  I rolled the refrigerated dough rounds a bit to thin and smooth them and carefully placed them into the pie pans trying to not get any creases as I eased them to the bottom of the pans.  The top crusts got rolled to flatten and then I cut them into strips to weave for a lattice top crust.  I did the weaving on a piece of parchment paper on the counter and when woven I pressed an upsidedown pie plate on the crust to seal the strips together and then used the pie plate as a way to cut around the crust so it would just fit the top of the pie. Before adding the peach filling I brushed a beaten egg on the entire bottom of the crust as it helps seal the crust as it bakes and you don't end up with a 'soggy bottom' pie. I was able to 'roll' the woven crust around my rolling pin to move it to top the filled pie.  The overhanging edges of the bottom crust got trimmed and folded over the lattice and then crimped.  Finally, the lattice got brushed with a bit of watered down egg wash and sprinkled with sugar.

I baked the pies ~ ON FOIL LINED BAKING SHEETS ! ~ at 450° for 15 minutes and then reduced the oven temperature to 350° for another 40 minutes, or until the top was golden.  The fruit pies must be completely cool before they are cut.

Here is a lattice top as I pressed to seal with a pie plate:

Peach Pies Woven_10

The trimmed lattice crust ready to be rolled on the rolling pin and transferred to the pie:

Peach Pies Trimme10

As I stressed, ALWAYS BAKE FRUIT PIES ON A FOIL LINED SHEET PAN,  being sure the foil is wider than the edges of the pie plate.

Peach Pies Always10

Here are the two pies I'll gift to Tommy & Joann and another neighbor......

Peach Pies Peach_10

Peach Pies Peach_11

And, finally, here is what I'm calling my 'Polka Dot' Peach Pie ~ I tried to roll my one remaining available pie crust to allow for something to dot the top of the pie since I ended up with excess filling to bake ~ the crust was rolled too thin and got too browned, but someone will gladly eat what they want and push away the 'too browned' bits of crust.

Peach Pies Leftov10

Beth, you did a super great job! .... We are peach pie lovers here too!

3Peach Pies Empty Re: Peach Pies Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Your pies look very pretty, Beth.

Just typed a long message but lost it. Too lazy to re-type it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum