Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peach Chutney - my way....

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Peach Chutney - my way.... Empty Peach Chutney - my way.... Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a couple peaches that needed to be used and I just could not face another one sliced up in a bowl as a snack....

So, I checked out some recipes for chutney and decided to give it a try for a change.

You have to keep in mind, I rarely use a recipe for cooking, just do what seems good for my taste so I'll give approximate amounts but if you decided to make this (and it's really good!) then you do it the way YOU like it.

I chopped 1/2 a sweet onion and 1 red chili pepper that turned out to be really mild (yes, I tasted it....). I started to sweat the onion & pepper in a little oil. When they were starting to soften I added my spices ~ 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. curry powder, 1/4 t. dry mustard, 1/4 t. red pepper flakes, 1 t. microplaned fresh ginger. I let the spices mingle and get flavorful with the onion & chili pepper. Then I added 1/4 c. brown sugar and let that melt in. Then came the 2 chopped peaches, probably 2 c. chopped. I let everything come to a boil and then added 1/4 c. cider vinegar. I tasted it and it needed "something"...so I dropped in a cinnamon stick and let it simmer until the peaches were tender and then let it cool down.

"Real" chutney would certainly have some raisins - but I didn't have any and I wasn't going to make a special trip to get them. The flavors seem to go well with the peaches, there is a bit of heat from the red chili flakes but certainly not "eye-watering", just noticeable.

I'm thinking this will be good with pork or chicken. I'm going to have it with a little ham steak tonight, so I'll see how it is.

2Peach Chutney - my way.... Empty Re: Peach Chutney - my way.... Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had a couple peaches that needed to be used and I just could not face another one sliced up in a bowl as a snack....

So, I checked out some recipes for chutney and decided to give it a try for a change.

You have to keep in mind, I rarely use a recipe for cooking, just do what seems good for my taste so I'll give approximate amounts but if you decided to make this (and it's really good!) then you do it the way YOU like it.

I chopped 1/2 a sweet onion and 1 red chili pepper that turned out to be really mild (yes, I tasted it....).  I started to sweat the onion & pepper in a little oil.  When they were starting to soften I added my spices ~ 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. curry powder, 1/4 t. dry mustard, 1/4 t. red pepper flakes, 1 t. microplaned fresh ginger.  I let the spices mingle and get flavorful with the onion & chili pepper.  Then I added 1/4 c. brown sugar and let that melt in.  Then came the 2 chopped peaches, probably 2 c. chopped.  I let everything come to a boil and then added 1/4 c. cider vinegar.  I tasted it and it needed "something"...so I dropped in a cinnamon stick and let it simmer until the peaches were tender and then let it cool down.  

"Real" chutney would certainly have some raisins - but I didn't have any and I wasn't going to make a special trip to get them.  The flavors seem to go well with the peaches, there is a bit of heat from the red chili flakes but certainly not "eye-watering", just noticeable.

I'm thinking this will be good with pork or chicken.  I'm going to have it with a little ham steak tonight, so I'll see how it is.
Thanks for the recipe and Idea Beth!
I would love to try that with a nice Bunch of brats. The spicy / smoked ones from Johnsonville!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum