Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas!

+3
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

bethk

bethk
Admin

You always do such a nice meal, Norm. I'm sure Charlie loves that he gets to choose!

Here's Christmas dinner, 2021 from Florida:

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_25_24

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some chicken thighs for supper tonight.....I think I'll bone them and then make crispy skin thighs.

bethk

bethk
Admin

After such a rich meal yesterday it was nice to have a simple meal of crispy skin chicken thighs, boiled potatoes & green beans.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_26_14

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Finally made a real dinner again sirloin tip steak done using the air fryer feature in my new oven. It works great. 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, perfectly med rare. And not nearly as much smoke as pan frying. I like it better than the electric grill."

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_26_15

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight we had the leftover chili that I normally would have had on Christmas Eve ~ but the power failure changed that. So I didn't take any pictures.

Today was the scheduled appointment for the repairman to come and fix my dishwasher. I said the spring for the door was broken and the door fell open. OF COURSE, the repairman has to order the part. That is SO IRRITATING! It will be 8 days for the part to be available.

Why ask what the problem is if you aren't going to stock the repair truck with the correct part??? The same thing happened with our washer/dryer unit when we bought that. The water intake hose was messed up and the washer tank rubbed into it. And it got a hole THREE TIMES. They didn't have the hose any time they came. And that was a problem because I couldn't use the washer.

One place on their list of approved repairmen called me and told me I had to remove the dryer from on top of the washer. I said, "It's a single unit ~ it doesn't come apart." And they insisted it had to be apart for them to repair the washer. I finally did a reschedule and someone else actually knew what unit we had and didn't make such a stupid request. It took 3 times to have one guy actually check on YouTube, while he was here, to see the hose was strung in the wrong way and he actually repaired the problem.

The guy tonight didn't realize the dishwasher unit had to be pushed under the counter so the drawer could be opened. But, fortunately for me, Dane was able to make that adjustment.

Geesh!

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, I find it impossible to deal with repairmen! I really do...  Between the supply shortage and just their ineptiness, it is so frustrating!  

So glad I have semi-competant guys on staff here...

I had such a nice holdiay on Christmas Day... Went to my cousin's so house ofr the day. So nice... So freindly, accepting, family oriented.. OMG... I felt so comfortable and accepted there.. We even played a game, after dinner...

Today was  'junk ' day....   I swear this Christmas, was a CHOCOLATE Christmas!!   I got so much chocolate  and so many sweets...
Fudge, Tons of cookies... and a bag from The Popcorn Factoy, with Sweet popcorn....

I cannot deal with it... and the cookies!! You would not imagine.. My cousin's wife is a cookie baker.. Her grandson was up early Christmas mooring, baking Cinnamon rolls, and cookies!! early in the morning.. and Yeast bread dinner rolls... I could not believe it.. He is a sophomore in high school and is a
renaissence man...  He is really into computers...with his friends on the IT team, he built a computer from scratch------- because it was beyond the budget for the school!!

I just love this boy...

Anyway, I had to be polite and taste everything... and they gave me the chocolate/sweet gifts... I had to give th fudge away... It was just too much for me...

Yes,  I really had a good Christmas Day.. I  really did... I may sound as it I am bragging.. but, if you reallymknow me, you would understand dhow much I am appreciative oof this... about how much I feel appreciated by feeling as if I belong, somewhere... as a family member...and unjudged..

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Some more Lake Erie fish, bass this time. Home fries and steamed carrots and snap peas. Yumm!"

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_27_16

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, I'm so happy you had a joyus Christmas! I don't know I would have had the foresight to GIVE AWAY homemade fudge.....maybe wrap it and stick it in the freezer for when I really needed a 'fix'. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had everything I needed to make a beef/pea pod/Swiss chard stir fry. I was getting things together.

Dane walked in the door from picking up neighbor Jim from the airport and said, "Lucky YOU, we're going to Lopez Legends Country Club for supper tonight!"

Well....... OK

Actually it's one of the very nicest country clubs (aka: pricey but excellent) and Jim loves to go there. He apparently wants to thank Dane for being on time to pick him up after his flight back from Pittsburgh ~ back in the warmth after a cooler Christmas stay.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I was reading some of the comments from your FaceBook Christmas picture post with Charlie.

I love, Love, LOVE the fact that his friend referred to you as "Mr. Matthews" ~ it reminds me of my daughters' friends.

They ALL call me 'Mrs. Keller". When they graduated from high school I gave each a card and said now that they are an adult they may call be 'Beth'. Not a single one of them can do it. LOL I think it's just a nice way to acknowledge we are not really peers and they just want to show that respect they've always shown me.

NormM

NormM

Beth, I believe those who called me Mr. were friends of Charlie and went to school with him when I was a teacher there.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight will finally be the beef & pea pod stir fry I've planned for a couple days. Yesterday turned out to be an evening out with neighbor Jim and it was delightful at the country club restaurant.

I was planning to use some of the Swiss chard we have growing in patio pots but there's so much chard that I've decided to use it as a side vegetable on it's own for tomorrow instead of adding it to the stir fry tonight.

It'll be a simple stir fry with a homemade sauce that is sweet and soy based ~ lots of beef and lots of pea pods & carrots ~ just for the color!

Cookin Lore

No cooking today. I went to IKEA to get some storage containers for my pantry, and right next door is my favourite grocery store. store has amazing takeout, so I picked up some spicy chicken wings, and two different salads. One a mediterranean/greek veggie, and another one with all kinds of grains. Sending a picture, Beth.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success. As per the MR. in the house......

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_29_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Grocery store takeout"

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_29_14

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Thanks again, Beth!  

This "Annus Horibillous" 2021 is almost over, and I want to say that I wish all my Cooking Friends here the very best for the new year coming.  "Annus Horibillous" (horrible year)is the way Queen Elizabeth described the year in which, I think, three of her 4 children announced their impending divorces.  No divorces here, but my SD daughter-in-law and my son flew to Sieux Falls on Dec. 25, and on the 27th, Amy tested positive for the virus.  Michael is being tested today.  So far, she has had very mild symptoms very much like a cold but of course, has had to isolate and cancel the fun things she had planned.  And yes, both Amy and Michael as well as all her family in SD. are double vaxxed!  

Michael is scheduled to fly back to Canada on Saturday, Amy planned to stay another two weeks.  That is their normal visits home.  Fingers crossed that all goes well.

They were at my place Christmas eve, along with my other son and DIL; my 89 year old uncle and his son.  None of the rest of us are showing symptoms, so hopefully we've dodged that bullet.

So, looking forward to 2022....................................... last year I decided that I would try cooking Indian, and I have enjoyed most parts of it.  The coming year, I am determined to get rid of some of the COVID  weight that seems to have found its way mostly around my middle.  A big portion of that weight gain, unfortunately is not what is on my plate, but what is in the glass as I am both cooking and cleaning up my dinners.  It has become way too easy and frequent.  So, please wish me luck!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I opened the freezer this morning, I don't even remember why......

I saw the leftover steak in the little glass container. I thought it was a good night to have steak salad.

I even went out to the garage refrigerator to check the freezer for some 'bakery' rolls ~ still have a few! I slice them in half when they're still frozen, slap on some butter & toast them in the toaster oven for 'fresh rolls'.

Everyone was happy. HE had a sliced hot pepper on his. Mine had none......

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_30_15

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_30_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got a message from Tina:

"Thank you for your prayers. He's starting to get his strength back. He walks from the bedroom to the kitchen for lunch and dinner. Therapy comes twice a week. He has his appetite back.

I was just on Amazon placing an order for salt free food and I bought a salt free cookbook to make meatloaf. For stew I really don’t know what seasonings to use so when I went on Amazon they have the spices that are salt free, so I just bought a bunch of stuff.

Hope you guys have a happy and blessed new year. Take care. God bless."

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had suggested we go out this evening but when I realized it was New Year's Eve, I said, "No Thanks!"

The crazies are out on holidays and I just have no patience for the stupidity I see & hear. I'd much rather sit quietly at home and do the same thing as always ~ sit in my chair and watch TV and then wake up and go to bed......

I had a nice spaghetti squash so I decided to bake it and have it as I usually do, half with marinara & parmesan and half with butter and s&p. Now we're both stuffed. I even got another bakery roll out of the freezer bag to toast to go with our meal.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 12_31_16

I cannot believe it's actually the last day of the year ~ good riddance to 2021! Happy New Year to all our forum pals ~ here's wishing you all a happy & healthy 2022!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I haven't been here in a long time because I felt so bad. Did something happen to Jimmy? I saw the note from Tina. Could someone fill me in?

Me? I now have breast cancer which is no relation to the lung cancer. More surgery for me. Going to a pain management doc for gut pain cause no one knows what is causing it. Maybe 2022 will be better.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's good to hear from you, Bugster! I'm so very sorry you are going from one medical episode to another ~ with any luck things will be better for you in 2022.

thanks so much for checking in!

Jimmy wasn't feeling well around Thanksgiving ~ he had some problems with low blood pressure, and was in the hospital. He was really weak and having difficulty walking so after his hospital stay he went to rehab for a while to get the strength back in his legs. He was put on a NO SALT diet and is now at home working at therapy a couple times a week.

Ms. Tina says he's getting his appetite back and she's busy trying out new herbs & no-salt alternatives. She's not taking any chances.....got rid of every salt shaker in the house! He's not felt up to visiting with us but he knows we've all sent our very best wishes through messages I have with Tina. She's grateful she has help from daughter Maria.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:I haven't been here in a long time because I felt so bad. Did something happen to Jimmy? I saw the note from Tina. Could someone fill me in?

Me? I now have breast cancer which is no relation to the lung cancer. More surgery for me. Going to a pain management doc for gut pain cause no one knows what is causing it. Maybe 2022 will be better.

It's good to see here, Bugster. I'm very sorry to hear your medical problems and I pray and hope you'll recover soon.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My last post of the year, I baked some cheesy ziti, ground beef, can tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, 3 kind of cheese, Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan. Tomorrow we'll have Black-eyed pea soup with ham. We stayed home today, it was raining in the afternoon, scattered thunderstorm, wet and gloomy, tomorrow we'll have one of the coldest days, we have hard freeze warning.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 Pasta_10
December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 4 A356b610

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks for letting me know about Jimmy.It sucks getting old.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum