Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas!

+3
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Norm!

I need some advice.

My daughter's husband wants to smoke a brisket for Christmas ~ has never done one before. I've checked your blog and I cannot find any instructions other than "Smoked for 8 hours with applewood. Can you give me a little more info ~ ie: how much fat cap to leave on, seasoning, smoke to what temperature, when to wrap in butcher paper, etc. ?

Since this will be his first time he's not expecting to have 'fabulous' but it would be nice to have a little more experienced advice.

Thanks!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I hope you feel better soon Beth.

Yesterday I cooked 2 lbs of 97% ground beef, added bunch of garlic, onion and tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 jar of spaghetti sauce, beef broth, then I divided them in 2 parts, one for hamburger soup yesterday, today I boiled some egg noodles, then sauteed half of it with butter and olive oil, then topped with the ground beef in spaghetti sauce, it was good. I also sauteed some zucchini squash with butter and olive oil

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 E34ed110

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm got me hungry for chili.

But I didn't want to wait until Tuesday when I could go to Fresh Market for 5 pounds of ground chuck ~ like I usually do because if I'm going to make chili I seem to make a huge pot of it to put containers into the freezer.

So today I just thawed out a single pound of ground chuck from the freezer and used a couple cans of seasoned chili beans, one can of Rotel Tomatoes w/Chiles and assorted vegetables from the refrigerator & garden pots.

And now that it's done cooking and just sitting and waiting on us for supper, I've suddenly got a hankering for cornbread. Woo Hoo! I've got a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix in the pantry. I think I'll dress it up with a bit of canned corn, just because that sounds good to me.

I'll bake the muffins in papers but I've found if I spray the papers with PAM it's much easier to get the muffins to release from the paper without tearing apart.....must be because there's sugar in the Jiffy Mix....

bethk

bethk
Admin

The chili was tasty but the corn muffins, although really good, still stuck to the papers even though I sprayed the paper liners with PAM. Oh well.....didn't stop us from eating them!

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_19_12

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:Hey, Norm!

I need some advice.

My daughter's husband wants to smoke a brisket for Christmas ~ has never done one before.  I've checked your blog and I cannot find any instructions other than "Smoked for 8 hours with applewood.  Can you give me a little more info ~ ie: how much fat cap to leave on, seasoning,  smoke to what temperature, when to wrap in butcher paper, etc.  ?

Since this will be his first time he's not expecting to have 'fabulous' but it would be nice to have a little more experienced advice.

Thanks!

Have him check out this on you tube. It is how I got started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU&t=18s    PS. 8 hours is how soon a prime cut brisket from Costco generally takes.  A choice brisket might take longer... a lot longer because it has less fat and you have to cook it until the collagen melts and a fork just slides in almost like the brisket isn't there.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

I baked in bone-in ham for dinner today. I also made some cookies.December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 20211213
December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 20211212

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I really have to start using a smaller plate. I made couscous with small tomatoes red pepper and of course a lot of parsley. Then sautéed onion and mushrooms, then scallops and shrimp, finished with some cream. Delish!"

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_19_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
bethk wrote:Hey, Norm!

I need some advice.

My daughter's husband wants to smoke a brisket for Christmas ~ has never done one before.  I've checked your blog and I cannot find any instructions other than "Smoked for 8 hours with applewood.  Can you give me a little more info ~ ie: how much fat cap to leave on, seasoning,  smoke to what temperature, when to wrap in butcher paper, etc.  ?

Thanks!

Have him check out this on you tube. It is how I got started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU&t=18s    PS. 8 hours is how soon a prime cut brisket from Costco generally takes.  A choice brisket might take longer... a lot longer because it has less fat and you have to cook it until the collagen melts and a fork just slides in almost like the brisket isn't there.

Thanks! I'll pass that on to them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got a message from Ms. Tina this morning.

Jimmy has returned home from the rehab facility. He’s very weak and very tired.

Please keep saying those prayers for Jimmy, Tina & the rest of the family.

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim is flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow (Dane's taking him to the airport) so he wanted to take us out to supper for Christmas. Of course, we went to his favorite Bamboo Bistro. It's so funny because we always ask to be seated in Kenny's section and Kenny knows Jim always orders the same thing ~ a chicken stir fry with NO BROCCOLI (because Jim doesn't like green stuff....LOL). Dane ordered mussels and I decided on the Snow Mountain Shrimp which is fried shrimp with a sweet white sauce over fried mung bean noodles.

Everything was delicious and I ended up eating every bite ~ except any of my rice which would have taken me over the top in being way too full.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_20_12

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_20_13

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_20_14

Imelda HL likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Neighbor Jim is flying to Pittsburgh tomorrow (Dane's taking him to the airport) so he wanted to take us out to supper for Christmas.  Of course, we went to his favorite Bamboo Bistro.  It's so funny because we always ask to be seated in Kenny's section and Kenny knows Jim always orders the same thing ~ a chicken stir fry with NO BROCCOLI (because Jim doesn't like green stuff....LOL).  Dane ordered mussels and I decided on the Snow Mountain Shrimp which is fried shrimp with a sweet white sauce over fried mung bean noodles.

Everything was delicious and I ended up eating every bite ~ except any of my rice which would have taken me over the top in being way too full.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_20_12

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_20_13

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_20_14

The Shrimps look good Beth

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got my vaccine booster this morning. I'm expecting, should I have the same reaction as with the first two injections, that I'll spend most of tomorrow in bed ~ just too tired to do anything of much. Maybe not, but I'm trying to plan my week.....

I wanted to go to the grocery store to get anything I need to fix meals for the rest of the week and for my contributions to our Christmas dinner on Saturday. I'm making mashed potatoes, salad dressing and a cherry crostada for Bill's birthday.....kind of a tradition for us since I've done the same for the last 4 or 5 years when we have dinner with Lyn & Bill.

I also picked up a rotisserie chicken to de-bone so I can make a chicken pot pie for tomorrow or the day after. I have leftover chili for my traditional Christmas Eve supper. I use to have to work every Christmas Eve at the greenhouse so I got in the habit of making chili, telling the girls it was a holiday meal since it was RED. LOL

Tonight I'm grilling a marinated London Broil steak. I've got green beans & steamed cabbage to go with it as sides. Dane's in charge of the charcoal so all I have to do is get the vegetables steamed and then grill the steak for about 5 minutes. Easy meal. Leftovers will be morphed into steak salad for one evening.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper came out pretty tasty.

I've taken care of straining the chicken stock and I've started the dishwasher. My DD reminded me to take some Advil and now I'm ready to park myself in my chair and just relax. I'm done.

My arm is starting to get swollen & red & hot ~ it's aching. I'm hoping the Advil will settle that down somewhat so I can get a good night's sleep.

We'll see what the morning brings.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_21_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

My vaccine prediction came true.....my body has the strangest reaction to any vaccine....the same with a flu vaccine that I get every year without fail. One day of 'down-time' doesn't mean I shouldn't get it.

But this booster was the strangest yet. It was like having an entire flu illness in one short day. I woke up and went to have a cup of coffee (normal)....it made me ill. So I tried some saltine crackers so I could take my morning meds. Mistake there, too. LOL

So, I just went to bed. Then I got cold...I'm NEVER cold! I even considered putting on some socks as my feet felt like ice cubes. But the effort to get up and try to find a pair of socks wasn't worth it so I just doubled up on a cotton throw to go over my legs in bed. Next time I woke up I was HOT! (now that's normal....) I tried to drink some ice water but it just gagged me. Back to bed.

About 4:30 I really felt much better ~ like the end of the flu ~ and I warmed up some chicken stock I had made & thawed just so I'd have an option to hydrate my body. It was good but I don't think I got much hydration from the scant 1/4 c. I was able to get down before feeling 'full'. But it was nourishment, all the same.

I was back in bed for the night by 7:30 and when I woke up at 6 all the symptoms have magically disappeared (except for a sore back from laying around all day yesterday) and I'm ready to get going on my chicken pot pie for tonight's supper!

Gee, I wonder if I lost 40 pounds yesterday??? I better go check! (doubtful, I know, but a girl can dream)

cookingirl likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:My vaccine prediction came true.....my body has the strangest reaction to any vaccine....the same with a flu vaccine that I get every year without fail.  One day of 'down-time' doesn't mean I shouldn't get it.

But this booster was the strangest yet.  It was like having an entire flu illness in one short day.  I woke up and went to have a cup of coffee (normal)....it made me ill.  So I tried some saltine crackers so I could take my morning meds.  Mistake there, too.  LOL

So, I just went to bed.  Then I got cold...I'm NEVER cold!  I even considered putting on some socks as my feet felt like ice cubes.  But the effort to get up and try to find a pair of socks wasn't worth it so I just doubled up on a cotton throw to go over my legs in bed.  Next time I woke up I was HOT!  (now that's normal....)  I tried to drink some ice water but it just gagged me.  Back to bed.

About 4:30 I really felt much better ~ like the end of the flu ~ and I warmed up some chicken stock I had made & thawed just so I'd have an option to hydrate my body.  It was good but I don't think I got much hydration from the scant 1/4 c. I was able to get down before feeling 'full'.  But it was nourishment, all the same.

I was back in bed for the night by 7:30 and when I woke up at 6 all the symptoms have magically disappeared (except for a sore back from laying around all day yesterday) and I'm ready to get going on my chicken pot pie for tonight's supper!

Gee, I wonder if I lost 40 pounds yesterday???    I better go check!  (doubtful, I know, but a girl can dream)

I'm glad you are back to your "old" self Beth, I laughed at your last sentence. We got booster 2 months at Walmart, all together, we made appointment for my MiL and they let us had ours too. No big issues happened to us, ours arms were a bit swollen and hard and hurt, mine was the worst.

I have no idea what to cook, we are planning to go the library and stop at Kroger's, so I'll let them pick their own lunch (usually they picked Boar's Head sandwiches in their deli ), I'll have their fried chicken thighs

bethk likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

I wanted to give you guys a brief update on Jimmy. I just got off the phone with him.

He is wiped out, exhausted, But wanted me to tell you all that his is still “plugging along”; wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.
He is home.

It was a short conversation. I did not want to exert him.
I am still keeping him and Tina in my prayers; as I know every one here is; also.

Merry Christmas from me and Geoffrey, also.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers for Jimmy & Tina and the family......praying they can rest and just have a quiet Christmas.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We lost power around 3:30. I was just about to put my filling in my Chicken Pot Pie......but now it's just sitting, wrapped in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator until tomorrow. I feel fortunate I hadn't put it into the oven and then had the power go out and ended up with a soggy crust!

Tomorrow will be a good day to have Chicken Pot Pie!

We ended up going to Farmshed for burgers instead. Now I'm stuffed......so much for my attempt to drop some weight before the holiday!

Hahahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight will be last night's planned Chicken Pot Pie.  

I got a nice surprise.....a text from neighbor Darlene wishing us a Merry Christmas.  I texted the same back and mentioned I was making a chicken pot pie and if she & Tom didn't have plans they were invited to come and have supper with us.  

I had an ulterior motive in the invitation.  If it's just the two of us with a whole chicken pot pie then we'll have two more meals of leftovers.  It can't be frozen for another day.  So it would most likely be two days in a row ~ and tomorrow will be at Lyn's so it would be Sunday & Monday.....

And you all know how I feel about leftovers!

She was so funny.  She answered my invitation, "I'll answer for Tom.  You just saved him from eating my leftovers AGAIN tonight!"

LOL

cookingirl

cookingirl

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a lovely dinner with Tom & Darlene. They are the nicest company!

Darlene swears she doesn't like to cook but she does a nice job when she makes something. She just needs a recipe to follow. And she lacks the confidence if something isn't quite right.....she panics and doesn't want to serve whatever she's making. I told her ~ "Just say you made it according to the recipe and it tastes good to you!" LOL

They both loved the chicken pot pie ~ and it didn't bother me one bit that it didn't serve in perfect pie-shapes. That's what the mushroom cream sauce was for.....TO COVER IT UP!!!

I just made a simple tossed salad to go with it.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_24_14

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 12_24_15

Cookin Lore

I haven't made anything worth picture taking lately. Had our family Christmas Eve today. That's the German tradition. Son and DIL are leaving in the morning for Sieux Fall. SD, her hometown. Hopefully all goes well at the borders. There were only7 of us. Chicken wings and breast oven roasted potatoes, salad, veggies and dip, stuffed mushrooms and flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Dishwasher is doing a load now.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Merry Christmas, everyone!

May you all have a lovely day.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Merry Christmas to you all.. December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 4165659054 do not eat too much, like me.. I'm stuffed Rolling Eyes

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

At Charlie's request (again) we had a repeat of Thanksgiving turkey dinner for Christmas. These are friends who are staying with us for a while. They are Kalven and Ariyana. Ari requested tamales for Christmas and we had some for breakfast this morning along with some Mexican style rice that I made. Through one of Charlies car club members we were able to find a place to find some good tamales. It was a small mom & pop store that also sold food, but they only sold tramales on Friday this week. We pre-ordered got two dozen. They were very good and we still have some for later.

I cooked the turkey yesterday. cut the breasts and dark meat off in whole pieces, vacuum packed them and reheated it in the sous vide. The back of the turkey was cooked in some homemade chicken stock I had frozen and that gave me enough stock for all the other dishes that used stock. It made some very good gravy. I made a paste with butter and flour and added enough to stock to make the gravy, then added salt and pepper and a little cream, rosemary, sage and chives. Charlie said it was the best gravy he'd ever had.

I had enough time to make some bread. It was the same bread I most often make but without any sourdough flavoring. It is just water, salt, sugar, yeast and enough flour to make a soft but not sticky dough.

Dressing was Pepperidge Farm country style with some turkey bits mixed in with the broth. There were some bits in the gravy tooDecember, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 20211215
December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 20211214
December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 3 20211216

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum