Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas!

+3
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I was at a gigantic loss as to what to fix for supper. I looked in the freezer and nothing looked like anything I wanted. I thought about going out to pick up some 'carry-out' sandwiches but that didn't sound good either.

Then I looked in the vegetable drawer and remembered I had picked up some red beets ~ the tops & leaves weren't good but the beets were fine to boil as a vegetable. So, since I had a side dish I came up with a nice rotisserie chicken, baked sweet potato & the beets. It came together pretty tasty!

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_10_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of the things I like about those little rotisserie chickens is that it's enough for 2 meals usually.  We had hot roast chicken tonight and I just got done pulling the breast meat and other bits to put into a deli container.  Sunday or Monday I'll make the chicken enchiladas with the green sauce that we like.  It's nice that Dane doesn't mind me not adding cheese to the dish ~ he's happy to have it just the way I eat it.

And it couldn't be easier ~ flour tortillas with a filling of shredded chicken, a can of chopped green chiles and some sour cream.  It gets topped with a small can of the green enchilada sauce sold in the Latin section of the grocery store.  I add toppings of shredded lettuce, chopped onions & tomatoes, some sliced black olives, maybe avocado and then a crema that's just sour cream mixed with green chili salsa.  I know a lot of people insist it's only good with corn tortillas but we don't care for them. Keep in mind, Mexican food wasn't a 'thing' for us growing up so it's something we've adapted to our tastes in our old age! LOL

I shared the recipe with neighbor Darlene and it's a big favorite she makes about once a week or so for her and Tom.  She says she doesn't like to cook but she sure likes making that dish!

Imelda HL likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:One of the things I like about those little rotisserie chickens is that it's enough for 2 meals usually.  We had hot roast chicken tonight and I just got done pulling the breast meat and other bits to put into a deli container.  Sunday or Monday I'll make the chicken enchiladas with the green sauce that we like.  It's nice that Dane doesn't mind me not adding cheese to the dish ~ he's happy to have it just the way I eat it.

And it couldn't be easier ~ flour tortillas with a filling of shredded chicken, a can of chopped green chiles and some sour cream.  It gets topped with a small can of the green enchilada sauce sold in the Latin section of the grocery store.  I add toppings of shredded lettuce, chopped onions & tomatoes, some sliced black olives, maybe avocado and then a crema that's just sour cream mixed with green chili salsa.  I know a lot of people insist it's only good with corn tortillas but we don't care for them.  Keep in mind, Mexican food wasn't a 'thing' for us growing up so it's something we've adapted to our tastes in our old age!  LOL

I shared the recipe with neighbor Darlene and it's a big favorite she makes about once a week or so for her and Tom.  She says she doesn't like to cook but she sure likes making that dish!

I also bought a can of green enchilada, I planned to use it soon, but I forgot about it, so it will be on my menu list next week

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

I made steak and some sourdough bread for dinner today.December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 20211210

bethk, cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

We got to spend some time in Orlando with our daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and son-in-law's parents. It's nice to get together when it's for something like Tori's soccer tournament. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I've had a chance to watch her play. All the girls are in high school now and really playing on a much higher level.

The games are played at the ESPN Sports Center in Orlando ~ HUGE! Toughest part was we got to stand on the concrete patio area above the field.....no seats. But, we had a great view of the field, although it was too far away to take any decent pictures with our iphones.

But I did get a couple ~ one after the game (they WON! 1-0 ) and one 'selfie' she snapped for me at the hotel where we just visited before going to the sports center. I can't believe she's 17 and a junior in high school already.....looking at colleges and deciding on a major. It was so much easier when she was baking 'apple roses' with me and proclaiming only one as 'The Most Beautiful!' LOL

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_11_14

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_11_15

NormM, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Simple chicken leg, roasted butternut squash and the biggest fingerling potato I’ve ever had. All done in the oven. Yumm."

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_12_15

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I drove back down to visit with my daughter this afternoon. Tori doesn't play until late afternoon so they were all taking advantage of a lazy day lounging around the pool. Jim had arranged for a 'cabanna' for the three of them so it was out of the hot sun and there was even a fan above. They were able to order lunch and snacks and just relax. Tori is such a treat to be around ~ super polite to everyone. She had been laying in the sun/shade and came into the cabanna and she started laughing and asked her mom, "Should I show Grandma my shins?"

By then I had a look ~ soccer is a ROUGH sport. She was bruised from being kicked a number of times. She says it's OK, just part of the game.

She has one more game in the morning and then Jim takes off for the Atlanta outlet and Andrea & Tori head back to Indianapolis. Jim finally gets to come home on the weekend. He's been at his parents' healing from hip surgery for the last 4 weeks. He's more than ready to get back to his own space.

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I planned to make Chicken Enchiladas yesterday but got home too late so I just stopped and picked up Coney Dogs from a new place that opened. We weren't impressed. It's funny ~ you grow up eating a certain kind of hot dog and when you try some from a different area of the country that others 'rave' about.....and you just don't like them......it's just making us hungry for the ones we grew up on.

But the Chicken Enchiladas were good tonight. It's such an easy meal to mix up and bake off for about 30 minutes. The baking time gives you plenty of time to get the 'go-to's' cut up....lettuce, tomatoes, onion, black olives, avocado & green salsa crema. Dane doesn't even mind that there's no cheese. (I would make 2 different casserole dishes if he wanted cheese in his)

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_13_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got a message from Tina. Hopefully Jimmy will be released from the rehab facility tomorrow or at least by the weekend.

Please continue the prayers.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a pork tenderloin thawed to make for supper and then got a text from Dane suggesting we go out to Farmshed Restaurant for supper. Apparently he's hungry for a Lamb Burger with bleu cheese..... I think we'll share the 'Piggy Fries' (house made pork rinds) as an appetizer......so terrible for me but NO CARBS so I'm hanging my hat on that! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a lovely meal at Farmshed this evening. The wait staff is very nice and we never have any complaints. We started with an order of the 'piggy fries' (fried pork rinds) and drinks. I don't know why we order an appetizer ~ ~ like, there's NO WAY we need anything to whet OUR appetite! LOL But, hey, it's something I don't make here and it's a real treat on occasion.

HE had his favorite Lamb Burger with a slice of bleu cheese. I tried the Crispy Shrimp & Fries, the last thing on the menu (other than steaks, which I make just fine at home) I had not tried that I would enjoy. Oh, I guess there's a cold Shrimp Salad that I'm thinking I should try, but all the hot dishes that I order have been sampled. The shrimp were really large and fresh tasting ~ the fries are excellent. But now I'm ready to roll around the living room as I'm too stuffed to walk straight!

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_14_14

JanaAZ

I’m still trying to finish up the coq au vin and duchess potatoes I made the other day. The rest is getting frozen since I’m tired of it at this point December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 0499fc10[/[url=https://servimg.com/view/20183812/60]December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 3dc02b10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love the pic of the duchess potatoes! It's such a retro menu ~ and proof that good food never goes out of style. Love it!

JanaAZ likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to make the pork tenderloin last night but HE wanted to go out instead so it was just waiting for me today. I love, Love, LOVE fried apples with pork so those were all for ME! I mixed up a soy based glaze for the pork ~ it got seared in a little cast iron skillet and then put on a little rack to finish in the oven with the squash and to 'sticky-up' the glaze. Thank goodness I covered the pan the rack was on in foil, and I added some water so the house didn't fill with smoke (don't ask how I know that's necessary......LOL). And peas & carrots are just a really pretty addition with vibrant colors. The little delicata squash rounds roast up nice and tender and the skin is easy to eat.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_15_14

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_15_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had everything ready to go for supper when I decided early in the afternoon to go to Verizon and see about trading in my iPhone on a new model. I received a text from Verizon that they were offering $800 trade-in on my iPhone 7 toward a 13. I wanted to check it out because my phone refuses to hold a charge.

And the deal was good! Of course, I did have to pay a $90 activation/tax fee and buy new 'accessories' (charger, case, charging cube, etc.) but it was still a new phone for a little over $200. I figure it's my Christmas present from Santa.....

But, of course, I got stuck waiting for someone to wait on me. I finally had to text Dane and ask him to preheat the oven (WHICH button do I push for the oven? he asked.....((sigh)) ~ oh, here it is!) All he had to do was flip the thawed meatloaf out of the plastic lined foil pan on to the already prepped rack (sprayed with PAM) in a foil lined baking pan.

So, we decided to say ~ DANE COOKED TONIGHT!!!!

Hahahahahaha!

I also baked an acorn squash and made fresh green beans. The meatloaf, even without my usual ketchup/brown sugar glaze was pretty tasty and held together nicely. I'm glad I have 2 more just like it in the freezer.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_16_14

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_16_15

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Yesterday we had a couple of friends came for lunch, we decided to do hotpot, it was a nice day, a bit chilly, but the sun was out and the soup warmed us up

I bought 2 boxes of thin sliced rib-eyes, 1 box of thin sliced pork loin, some greens, some frozen wontons, mushrooms, some beef meatballs, some jumbo wild caught Argentine shrimps, for the broth I cooked 1 big chunk of Shank, seasoned  with 1 piece of ginger, half big onion, 1 bulb of garlic, I wrapped them in cheesecloth, so they would not mess up my broth. We used a electric pot with divider, so one part we added plain broth, the other part we added some spicy seasoning in the broth with Sichuan peppercorns and chili flakes ( it was so spicy, I don't really like it, but when I mixed it with the plain broth, it tasted much better )

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 B757e210
December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 D2386d10

Today we ate the leftover broth with meat and bunch of veggies, it was so good, I still have 2 more meals for later

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 836b5b11

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my! That looks so good.....with all the 'add-ins' to make according to one's taste.

Was that baby bok choy some that Dirk grew? After the first of the year I'll make a trip to the Oriental Market in Orlando to get some of the wonderful fresh vegetables for stir fry & soups.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today I had a 'Blast-From-the-Past' .......for my lunch ~ a cold meatloaf sandwich with Miracle Whip & thinly sliced onions.....SO GOOD! I took the last two slices of 'my bread' out of the freezer to thaw. Dane only eats 40-calorie wheat bread and I just don't care for it. So I buy a loaf of bread and wrap every 2 slices with plastic wrap and then put them back in the bread wrapper and stash it in the freezer. That way when I really DO want a sandwich I have bread I like to eat and it's not dry or freezer burned.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Oh, my!  That looks so good.....with all the 'add-ins' to make according to one's taste.  

Was that baby bok choy some that Dirk grew?  After the first of the year I'll make a trip to the Oriental Market in Orlando to get some of the wonderful fresh vegetables for stir fry & soups.  

No, Beth, the bokchoy was from the store, for now he grows some arugula and variety of chili peppers ( mostly I planted the seeds, he takes care of them )

we got Thai chilies, Cayenne and jalapeno

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 A2e68f10

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 63c0ab10

today I cooked some hamburger soup with whatever I had in my fridge

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 A2385610

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:
No, Beth, the bokchoy was from the store, for now he grows some arugula and variety of chili peppers ( mostly I planted the seeds, he takes care of them )

we got Thai chilies, Cayenne and jalapeno

OF COURSE you planted and are growing Thai Chilies! Those are 'fire-breathing' dragon chilies!!!! (( And YOU love them! ))

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a bag of frozen chicken wings Lyn gave me ~ she was going to make them for a get together but changed her mind and it's nothing she would make for them to eat. So, I thought it was a good night to get them used.

Dane's drummie ones got rolled around & browned with a Caribbean Jerk sauce he enjoys. My flats got a little sweet chili sauce and browned up.

I made some buttered noodles with chives & parsley and made Dane happy with some lima beans.

December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 12_17_13

NormM

NormM

I made chili tonight.December, 2021 ~ Let's come up with some ideas! - Page 2 20211211

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Norm.

You DIDN'T put any beans in that, did you?

Remember the ridiculous arguments about 'beans vs: no beans'? So Crazy.

I always said if I made it I could call it anything I wanted and nobody was going to change my mind.

And there was always the 'tartar sauce ISN'T white' ~ I think that's when you started calling yours 'NOT-tartar' sauce. LOL

NormM

NormM

It DID have beans in it. Pinto beans AND kidney beans. I don't make Texas chili. This one even had celery and green pepper in it. The recipe was a new one for me. It said it was like Wendy's, but i added a little beer and cocoa powder like I always do with my regular recipe.

I still have that nottatar sauce in my files and it is still labeled that way. I remember telling her that I was glad the French didn't create BBQ sauce because if they did, there would only be one kind.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftover night.....

Find what you want and be happy.

I've had a 'funny-tummy' all day ~ just not feeling quite normal. So I just heated up some leftover noodles and called it a night. Dane decided on a meatloaf sandwich, leftover chicken wings and a salad.....and he took care of fixing it all for himself because I just went back in to lie down.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum