Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

+3
Crybaby
NormM
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, the turkey meatloaf recipe sounds good.

Jimmy, it sounds like it will fit with your dietary guidelines. I hate to think of you in "tomato withdrawal " but you can retrain your taste. You an do this!

Norm, I'm not a fan of smoked meats but that looks delicious.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Ok, here is the Recipe for the turkey meatloaf.. not much to it, but if I remember correctly, it was not bad.

I got it in 2000, from one of the Boston Newspapers.  I picked up the ingredients and will probably make it Monday.

Mike's City Diner Turkey Meatloaf

2 lbs ground turkey

2 Tbs grated Romano Cheese

1/3 cup or more to taste of minced Onion

2 tsp fresh chopped parsley

2 eggs

1/3 cup bread crumbs   (you can use the seasoned bread crumbs, if you wish)

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp salt    ( I omitted this because of my Dad)

1/2 tsp Oregano (I love oregano, so I add more)

You could always add a bit of garlic powder or fresh garlic to 'jazz' it up

Preheat to 350n degrees
Mix all ingredients together. Transfer to a large load pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted thought comes out clean.

The diner served this with mashed potatoes and butternut squash...

This is a really simple recipe, but for some reason it tastes good. I think it is from the Romano cheese and the fresh parsley.

Quick, simple, easy.

I halve the recipe and there are still a lot of leftovers.

Ps... used my new oven to bake a chicken pot pie... It works!!! For this, it cooked evenly!! and in the appropriate time without having to keep moving it around. It was so good not to have to guess at time, temp, keep turning it, and still have food come out half baked...

Fingers crossed this keeps up!!

Thanks Cindy....It sounds good. I will save it, and print it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a simple but tasty supper.

A griddled cheese on Italian Low Carb bread that DD picked up for me.
A half of an acorn orange color squash. Then dessert was those skinny flat melba toast; with fresh ground peanut butter, and almond butter. Nothing but the pulverized nuts. No sugar or oils.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today was a simple but tasty supper.  

A half of an acorn orange color squash. Then dessert was those skinny flat melba toast; with fresh ground peanut butter, and almond butter. Nothing but the pulverized nuts. No sugar or oils.

No oils? Did you choke on the butters?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today was a simple but tasty supper.  

No oils? Did you choke on the butters?

Usually I would pack two tbs. on a melba, but I only used like a teaspoon.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Have you ever seen a dog try to eat peanut butter? It is so funny. They keep trying to get tthe stuff off of the roof of their mouths by licking and licking. The stuff just won't budge. Anyway, that is what I pictured what was happening to you. LOL.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I finally had a chance to use the charcoal grill.....pork steaks brushed with the Korean BBQ sauce. Made some coconut jasmine rice and steamed some broccoli.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 10_12_10

The rice came out a bit sticky ~ and I've got a lot left over. I have a feeling I have rice pudding in my very near future......

NormM

NormM

The store had some meaty looking ham hocks so that decided dinner. I cooked them with navy beans. They didn't have any collards so i cooked bok choy separately and added it at the end. I also made cornbread muffins. I usually forget to make them with this meal but remembered early enough this time.  Dessert for me was a Tim Tam cookie crumbled over vanilla ice cream.  Charlie will probably end up raiding the Halloween candy bowl because I got the last cookie and the last of the ice cream too.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 20181019
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 20181018
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 20181017

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Have you ever seen a dog try to eat peanut butter? It is so funny. They keep trying to get tthe stuff off of the roof of their mouths by licking and licking. The stuff just won't budge. Anyway, that is what I pictured what was happening to you. LOL.

When I was a little boy, mom told me, when she was little, she snuck into the cellar, and pulled the big huge jar of peanut butter off the shelf. Her dad called her, and she didn't answer, because her mouth was stuck together from the dry peanut butter. She wound up with a whipping on the behind for doing that. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was pizza Tina made on Whole Wheat Pita Breads.
Mine was with Mozzarella cheese made with Almond Milk.
It was great!
Went to the cardiologist this afternoon. EKG was perfect. Next step, is the pulmonary Dr for the COPD.
I have trouble breathing and catching my breath after walking just 20 steps.
We bought one of those Pulse Oximeters you clip on the finger. When the % goes down to 74 I gasp for more air. Sitting still, it goes back to 90%, and I feel better.

Niagara Visitor

Giving a dog enough peanut butter that he can't get it out of his mouth is terribly cruel in my opinion.  Not funny at all.

Niagara Visitor

Gonna make a Reuben sandwich for myself today.  I love it on a nice dark rye bread.  The local restaurants that serve it have something called "marble rye" bread.  I think that's disgusting, so I make it at home.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight NOTHING was working for supper.  No matter where I turned I screwed something up.  Good thing I'm such a good natured person or I would have been screaming obcenities and stormed out of the kitchen.

I planned to replicate the meal Andrea had at the Italian restaurant.....kind of.  I was going to butter poach some shrimp (I have American wild caught in the freezer most of the time) and make a lemon cream sauce to put under it.  I got some brocollini and blanched it so I could reheat it in a bit of bacon fat and sprinkle the cooked bacon over.  And I was going to lightly brown some boiled Yukon gold potatoes.....

Well, first off my Lemon Cream Sauce broke - turned into a curdled mess in the pan.  I've made it before and never had a problem.  Could be because I didn't have heavy cream and decided to make do with half and half......yeah, that was probably the problem.  So that got dumped.

I had one last slice of peppered bacon so I slowly rendered that ~ turned my back for 10 seconds (or so it seemed....) and suddenly the bacon was BLACK.  That got dumped.

I ended up sprinkling the shrimp with some Tony Chacerie's seasoning and poached it in some butter with a dash of worchestershire sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon.....it was pretty tasty.

The potatoes (thank goodness) browned just a bit and were seasoned lightly with some s&p.

The broccolini, blanched earlier, got reheated with some butter and a bit of water to steam it warm all the way through.  The blanching took away the bitterness and Dane didn't complain about it this time.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 10_13_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Tonight NOTHING was working for supper.  No matter where I turned I screwed something up.  Good thing I'm such a good natured person or I would have been screaming obcenities and stormed out of the kitchen.

I planned to replicate the meal Andrea had at the Italian restaurant.....kind of.  I was going to butter poach some shrimp (I have American wild caught in the freezer most of the time) and make a lemon cream sauce to put under it.  I got some brocollini and blanched it so I could reheat it in a bit of bacon fat and sprinkle the cooked bacon over.  And I was going to lightly brown some boiled Yukon gold potatoes.....

Well, first off my Lemon Cream Sauce broke - turned into a curdled mess in the pan.  I've made it before and never had a problem.  Could be because I didn't have heavy cream and decided to make do with half and half......yeah, that was probably the problem.  So that got dumped.

I had one last slice of peppered bacon so I slowly rendered that ~ turned my back for 10 seconds (or so it seemed....) and suddenly the bacon was BLACK.  That got dumped.

I ended up sprinkling the shrimp with some Tony Chacerie's seasoning and poached it in some butter with a dash of worchestershire sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon.....it was pretty tasty.

The potatoes (thank goodness) browned just a bit and were seasoned lightly with some s&p.

The broccolini, blanched earlier, got reheated with some butter and a bit of water to steam it warm all the way through.  The blanching took away the bitterness and Dane didn't complain about it this time.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 10_13_10
Tina said, when she gets to that failure stage, she turns to Corn flakes and banana's.

The shrimps look good to me Beth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight will be little meatballs ( turkey and cracker crumbs ) in gravy. Brown rice, and spinach wilted down.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mine and Tina's Plates.
The turkey meatballs with mushroom gravy. and spinach.....all no salt.

My portion was so filling. The brown rice was nutty and delicious....Tina had mashed potatoes.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_1211

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_1212

Niagara Visitor

Dreary day today, I feel like cooking.  So, I think I'll make some stuffed peppers.  2 for me, 4 for son and DIL.  Last weekend when they came for Thanksgiving dinner, they brought back a whole bunch of my dishes which were now empty.  Amy says "Please note they are empty"................... meaning please refill!  Just keep the potato salad, meatloaf and/or stuffed peppers coming! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's always fun to cook for others!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a small mini bagel toasted with egg beaters low cholesterol eggs and cheese sandwich for breakfast.
I was amazed it said ( in web md ) that with COPD one should pace out meals to 6 small ones a day. Over stuffing makes it hard to breath; because the most of the oxygen is used for digestion. Hmmm! Learning a lot lately.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Dreary day today, I feel like cooking.  So, I think I'll make some stuffed peppers.  2 for me, 4 for son and DIL.  Last weekend when they came for Thanksgiving dinner, they brought back a whole bunch of my dishes which were now empty.  Amy says "Please note they are empty"................... meaning please refill!  Just keep the potato salad, meatloaf and/or stuffed peppers coming! LOL

Beth was right -- it IS fun to cook for others, especially for those who let you know they really appreciate it, too. Nice compliment from Amy, Lore!

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had a small mini bagel toasted with egg beaters low cholesterol eggs and cheese sandwich for breakfast.

I was amazed it said ( in web md ) that with COPD one should pace out meals to 6 small ones a day. Over stuffing makes it hard to breath; because the most of the oxygen is used for digestion. Hmmm! Learning a lot lately.

Helps with cravings, too, I think. I admire you for the changes you're making, Jimmy. We all know it's not easy and we're proud of you!  cheers  cheers  cheers

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I posted pics of the Baby, and just before I hit send, we lost power.
Grrrrrrrrrr..............
Here is Great Grandson with Grandma, Grandpa, and in his little car.
He wants to be a moo moo cow for Halloween...His birthday.
He loves cows. Great grandma took him to see a baby calf near her house. He petted and hugged it so much.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5315
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5316
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5317
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5319

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Tonight NOTHING was working for supper. No matter where I turned I screwed something up. Good thing I'm such a good natured person or I would have been screaming obcenities and stormed out of the kitchen.

That happened to me last week, too, Beth. Brian had gone to the grocery the day before and I'd planned to make chicken enchiladas and thought I had everything I needed. I had a package of about 5 links of Mexican chorizo, and I was going to brown up a couple of the sausages outside of their casings to add to the chicken/cheese filling. First when I went to pull out the corn tortillas, Brian had only got a package of 10 (I make a lot when we make them with extra sauce, too, so I can freeze some), even after I'd told him to get a "big pack, not the one that just has 10 in it." Then I realized my cilantro was older than I thought and even though I know you don't like it, Beth, to me it's crucial for that real Mexican taste. I was going to make macaroni and cheese to serve on the side, 'cause Brian had been craving it lately, and when I went to get the pasta out, I'd forgotten I'd gone through ALL of the pasta I'd normally use and by then, I was over the moon ticked (at myself mostly). I'd already thrown the enchilada sauce together and was kind of worried I'd made it too spicy for Brian. I decided I'd wait until the next day as I wanted the enchiladas to be perfect.

So I browned up the sausage in their casings (something I rarely do with chorizo), cut up one sausage for us to snack after they cooked, boiled a little bit of bucatini (which I seemed to have a good bit of!) and made a quickie Alfredo sauce for the pasta.

The enchiladas turned out really well, too the NEXT night. I was worried that the chopped up already-cooked chorizo wouldn't have a great mouthfeel when added to the chicken filling but after I cooked the mixture down a bit along with onions, jalapenos, garlic I'd minced in the food processor, the sausage added the flavor I was looking for without discernable pieces of cubed sausage. Glad THAT worked out. I do confess to putting too much sauce on top of the enchiladas prior to baking them, which I'd done before, too -- they tortillas got soggier than I like. Brian said it didn't matter a bit because they were delicious. And luckily, nothing was too over-spiced for him, too.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5315
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5316
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5317
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 5 Img_5319

Sooooo cute, Jimmy! That's one lucky kid, too. Thanks so much for posting pictures of Liam occasionally, as it's fun watching him change as he gets older.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I stopped and got more corn tortillas for my chicken enchiladas the next day after my doctor's appointment, and picked up some fresh cilantro and parsley I needed too. I'd frozen several packages of pulled chicken from the huge butter-injected chicken I'd roasted a couple of ago, the one that was seasoned with Creole seasoning. Grabbed the package with 3 cups of chicken and used that along with 2 of the chorizo sausages I'd cooked the night before after finely chopping the sausage. Something had to go wrong and it was my sour cream: when I opened up the half-full container I had on hand, it was moldy. Brian called the little convenient 1/2 mile away and miraculously, they had ONE small container of sour cream which he ran to get. My filling had been really spicy when I tasted it but I told Brian I thought it would mellow as the huge minced jalapeno I'd used cooked down a bit and it did, but I just love the way sour cream mellows spicy stuff and I'm sure Brian was thinking that, too.

I not only bought a couple of bags of pasta when at the store -- some shapes of that imported Italian pasta I like were on sale, a buck each! -- but I cheated and bought some macaroni and cheese the grocery had made up and had for sale in it's 'ready to go cooked food" department. We'd tried some of their food before and it was fine and the mac and cheese was really good, too.

Do any of you ever pick up pre-made food at the grocery? We're lucky here as the food Rouse's makes is always well seasoned, just like you'd do at home. Sometimes when you buy from such a purveyor, it's sorely lacking in seasonings and I'm not just talking about heat either.

While in that area of the grocery, I spotted some shrimp, crab and corn chowder they had for sale -- it smelled so good that I got a 16-oz. container of it, $5.99 for 16 oz. and $9.99 for 32 oz., which I thought was a pretty reasonable price. It's a serve yourself set up so you could scrape the bottom of the container to get loads of shrimp! It was really delicious soup which I saved for my dinner the next night.

I also picked up some store-made pork egg rolls; they came with a small container of nuoc mam sauce -- $5.99 for 6 of them and the sauce. We'd had them before and were amazed at how good they were for the price. They make a good appetizer when people drop by -- cut them into thirds, heat them up in the oven so they stay crisp, and serve with a container of nuoc mam. Rouse's also sells catering trays of mini egg rolls and other appetizers there if you want to pick up some for a gathering, too, including mini muffulettas, overstuffed finger sandwiches, crudité trays, meat and cheese trays, mixed fruit platters, mini meatballs, mini meat pies, mini crawfish pies, fried chicken drumettes or chicken tenders, etc. I'm going to have to remember to take advantage of some of these offerings come holiday time. You usually find several of the larger platters are available for sale in the store, and half platters, too. But of course, you can place an order ahead of time if necessary. They put out tons of the trays on Saints game days so I guess a lot of people take advantage of feeding a crowd the easy way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum