Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

+3
Crybaby
NormM
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ham & swiss on low carb bread for lunch.

Supper was spuhg--hetti! A meatball and a chicken sausage.
Low carb spaghetti ....
1 cookie that Maria baked tonight. The baby Liam likes duckies, and Moo Moo cows. So maria made cut outs for him.  

Went for my lung C/T scan today. It was a funny experience. Poor Tina grabbed out of the 20 wheel chairs at the entrance, the one with the missing foot rests, and the one with the wobbly front caster wheels. Here she is, trying to push me through the doorways, and the wheels twisted and got stuck. I had to get up and walk till she got the wheelchair over the obstruction. I get to the registration office and answered 50 questions about how mom died and dad and siblings. 15 minutes later, they throw me in the doughnut hole machine, and in two minutes, I was all done.

I was glad, and the next thing, was the trip back home before the small oxygen tank ran out of the O2.  I had the spare tank just in case.
Tomorrow, the woman from the medical gas company will be here to see about getting me a small portable oxygen concentrator that I can use in the car, in the house and with its own battery bank.
The tanks are good for only 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours, and that is scary.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I got the last of the little meatloafs out of the freezer to have thawed for today.

I'll bake it off ~ and I'm thinking I'm hungry for the ketchup/brown sugar glaze tonight ~ and since the oven will be going I'll roast a quarter sheet pan of carrots & parsnips....maybe add some onion to the mix....and a couple white potatoes - just because I'm hungry for a real baked potato with a bit of butter and sour cream. And I have to remember to get the jello salad on the table (I've already eaten about 1/3 of the pan for snacks & lunch.....

So, that's my supper plan.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Ham & swiss on low carb bread for lunch.

Supper was spuhg--hetti! A meatball and a chicken sausage.
Low carb spaghetti ....
1 cookie that Maria baked tonight. The baby Liam likes duckies, and Moo Moo cows. So maria made cut outs for him.  

Went for my lung C/T scan today. It was a funny experience. Poor Tina grabbed out of the 20 wheel chairs at the entrance, the one with the missing foot rests, and the one with the wobbly front caster wheels. Here she is, trying to push me through the doorways, and the wheels twisted and got stuck. I had to get up and walk till she got the wheelchair over the obstruction. I get to the registration office and answered 50 questions about how mom died and dad and siblings. 15 minutes later, they throw me in the doughnut hole machine, and in two minutes, I was all done.

I was glad, and the next thing, was the trip back home before the small oxygen tank ran out of the O2.  I had the spare tank just in case.
Tomorrow, the woman from the medical gas company will be here to see about getting me a small portable oxygen concentrator that I can use in the car, in the house and with its own battery bank.
The tanks are good for only 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours, and that is scary.

Jimmy, I have seen a commercial on TV about a portable oxygen unit that makes its' own oxygen. It looks like a square shoulder bag. Sorry, I can't remember the name and I have no idea if it is any good but you might want to ask.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Maybe hot dogs tonight. I made Joe a huge Godzilla omelet this morning so he might not want much for dinner.

I saw something weird last night. It was a little after 1AM and I was sitting outside cooling off from a too hot electric blanket. Suddenly, there was this bright yellow flash that lit up the whole sky. It wasn't lightning - wrong color, plus there were no clouds in the sky. When the flash hit, I saw out of the corner of my eye a bright yellow circle where the light had come from. I looked up and saw a large round yellowish light. It was much bigger than an airplane light and it wasn't a star. It wasn't moving and it vanished in a couple of seconds. No sound whatsoever. What the heck was it??? UFO? Something that Camp Pendleton shot off? Kinda creepy. Did I see a UFO?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was super! The baked potato tasted SO good to me.....it's been a while since I've had one simply baked on the rack in the oven so it got the skin nice and crispy. If I'd have been thinking I would have scooped the flesh out and then put butter and s&p on the skins and eaten them first thing!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 10_26_10

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Supper was super!  The baked potato tasted SO good to me.....it's been a while since I've had one simply baked on the rack in the oven so it got the skin nice and crispy.  If I'd have been thinking I would have scooped the flesh out and then put butter and s&p on the skins and eaten them first thing!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 10_26_10
THat meatloaf looks really good................... recipe???? Please

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Maybe hot dogs tonight. I made Joe a huge Godzilla omelet this morning so he might not want much for dinner.

I saw something weird last night. It was a little after 1AM and I was sitting outside cooling off from a too hot electric blanket. Suddenly, there was this bright yellow flash that lit up the whole sky. It wasn't lightning - wrong color, plus there were no clouds in the sky. When the flash hit, I saw out of the corner of my eye a bright yellow circle where the light had come from. I looked up and saw a large round yellowish light. It was much bigger than an airplane light and it wasn't a star. It wasn't moving and it vanished in a couple of seconds. No sound whatsoever. What the heck was it??? UFO? Something that Camp Pendleton shot off? Kinda creepy. Did I see a UFO?

Tina and I both believe other creatures are watching us.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just found out that Griffith Observatory says it was probably a meteor burning up in the sky. It was seen from Los Angeles all the way down here. Some people caught it on their dash cams. It was much closer to me. It seemed like it was directly overhead.

NormM

NormM

We had kalbi with rice, kimchi and laver tonight.OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 20181036

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:

Thanks, Lore, it was pretty tasty. And, as usual, I don't have a real recipe, just guidelines.....

I use a 4/1 ratio of 80/20 ground chuck and spicy breakfast sausage (I like Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage in a 1 lb. roll). I cook onion, celery and grated carrot until soft (cooled). Spices are (usually) fresh thyme, dry marjoram, fresh parsley and s&p. I like to soak some breadcrumbs or panko in a bit of buttermilk and I always add a couple eggs to the mix. I mix it all together really well (I use latex food worker's gloves that I pick up at a restaurant supply place because the mix tends to bother my skin).

I line the little foil loaf pans with parchment or plastic wrap to form into a loaf and stick 'em in the freezer. After thawed I tip them on to a little rack over a foil lined sheet pan, removing the parchment. I bake at 425° so most of the fat renders off but, for some reason, it's not dry (go figure....). I usually let them bake for close to an hour, the last 15 minutes of baking I put on a glaze:

Brown sugar with just a pinch of cloves, a few gratings of nutmeg, maybe 1/4 t. of ground mustard....mix well so the spices are well distributed, then stir in some ketchup and allow to sit until the brown sugar dissolves.

Finally, I allow the meatloaf to sit for at least 15 minutes so the moisture settles and then I usually get nice slices.

Sorry for not having 'real' measurements. But go with what YOU like and I'm sure you'll get a winner!

BTW ~ how are you feeling? Has the cough left up any?

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:We had kalbi with rice, kimchi and laver tonight.

Oh, Man, Norm! That's a whole lotta yummy kalbi! Bet you had enough to share if I'd have popped by......

NormM

NormM

I got them at the Asian store. The first package I picked up only had ten and I was afraid that was not enough. The second one was only a dollar more (19 dollars for both) but when I got it home and opened it, it had about twenty pieces, but they were smaller and thinner. I told Charlie to give some to our neighbors. I though about freezing them but the way we are, we will forget about them then throw them out because we are afraid they have been in too long.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

The only place I ever see them is at Costco. Sometimes they're reasonably priced but most times they want an arm & leg for a package of 10. I usually just make do with home sliced London Broil and pretend they're boneless ribs.....LOL

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:

Thanks, Lore, it was pretty tasty.  And, as usual, I don't have a real recipe, just guidelines.....

I use a 4/1 ratio of 80/20 ground chuck and spicy breakfast sausage (I like Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage in a 1 lb. roll).  I cook onion, celery and grated carrot until soft (cooled).  Spices are (usually) fresh thyme, dry marjoram, fresh parsley and s&p.  I like to soak some breadcrumbs or panko in a bit of buttermilk and I always add a couple eggs to the mix.  I mix it all together really well (I use latex food worker's gloves that I pick up at a restaurant supply place because the mix tends to bother my skin).

I line the little foil loaf pans with parchment or plastic wrap to form into a loaf and stick 'em in the freezer.  After thawed I tip them on to a little rack over a foil lined sheet pan, removing the parchment.  I bake at 425° so most of the fat renders off but, for some reason, it's not dry (go figure....).  I usually let them bake for close to an hour, the last 15 minutes of baking I put on a glaze:

Brown sugar with just a pinch of cloves, a few gratings of nutmeg, maybe 1/4 t. of ground mustard....mix well so the spices are well distributed, then stir in some ketchup and allow to sit until the brown sugar dissolves.

Finally, I allow the meatloaf to sit for at least 15 minutes so the moisture settles and then I usually get nice slices.

Sorry for not having 'real' measurements.  But go with what YOU like and I'm sure you'll get a winner!

BTW ~ how are you feeling?  Has the cough left up any?
Cough is pretty well gone.  Thanks for the information.  That's fine, the buttermilk is a good idea.  I'll try your loaf next time.  It will be   a couple of weeks before I make another one, though.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was mac and cheese..... yogurt with peaches. scrambled egg and wheat toast.
Was evaluated by respiratory therapist for a portable oxygen concentrator, instead of tanks when I'm outside or shopping etc... I was a good candidate, and Medicare will pay for it. Yay!

Tina had crackers with cinnamon and cream cheese.

DD had tuna steak, and BF had a thick t bone steak.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Glad Medicare will pay for the concentrator Jimmy. Sounds like what I had seen on TV.

Well, the meteor wasn't a meteor after all. The navy was testing a new weapon against an ICBM in space. It hit its' mark and the explosion was what I saw. No wonder there was no sound - it was in space but I had no idea the explosion could be so bright and light up the entire sky. That must have been some weapon.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagara Visitor wrote:I just read some of this thread over again, particularly about tomato sauce.  Gotta tell you honestly............ I have not tasted a home made sauce which was anywhere near as good as most of the jarred sauces that I have used.  All the "really good" home made sauces are thin and watery.  Maybe someone here can give me a recipe that comes close to Neuman's Own?

I have to admit that I do make a good homemade tomato sauce. It is chunky, but I can blend it to be nice and thick. I do like a thick sauce.

It took a while to achieve, but I kind of have the recipe in the back of my mind.

I like that I can adjust the salt content to my specifications.

The secret is to simmer for at least 2 hours. That way the sauce gets to incorporate all the flavors, of the herbs, onions, garlic.... and the celery flakes and the carrot... and if you can get your hands on some pork and some veal chops.. and one of each in there--- awesome, old fashioned Italian gravy!!!

I always keep a jar of Trader Joes Organic Marinara sauce on hand.. great for cooking a piece of chicken or a couple sausages in.

Yes, Rao's sauce seems to be the 'in-thing'.... It is expensive. One of my friends swears by it. I bought it once. It did not leave an impression on me. I cannot remember what I thought of it...

Jimmy, I am glad you are finally eating right, and following doctors orders.. Tina, Maria and DIL are taking good care of you.. We worry about you!!

Yes, having a portable oxygen tank will make a huge difference. As will the COPD meds.

It is a lot of work to stay on your diet, so I am applauding all of you!!!

WE love you...

Today, We are getting a Nor'easter with heavy rain. Seems as if it is going to be a very rainy week. Today cold.. I am going to spend the day cleaning..I desperately need to do so..

For supper, I am going to roast some veggies... I have carrots, red onion, sweet potatoes.. Not sure about the meat, if any... I have some chicken in the freezer and a small pork tenderloin in the refrigerator.. I also bought a pre cut butternut squash that has to be used, by Monday. I never but pre-cut, but it seems to be too much for me to cut them... and I love butternut squash...

It depends on how I feel after cleaning.. maybe just the veggies for supper..

Tomorrow is out for cooking. I have a volunteer shift at the shelter/rescue. I come home and feel so grimy after it, that I throw my clothes in the washer, jump immediately into the shower, put jammies on and just nibble.

The shift goes from 2-4.. usually longer.. We have a lot of needy cats-- in bonded pairs.. older... whose owners had to give up due to either moving into assisted living, or passing away. They are so sweet, craving love... and we have one sick cat--who should not be there... in my opinion; and we have a pair of kittens: one black and one orange... sigh...

I will be sweeping, washing floors, cleaning cubbies, scooping and cleaning litter boxes, feeding, talking to potential adopters, and spending some time just loving the kitties... and playing, if they want to....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been hungry for pork steak and finally found it on sale. (I'm SO cheep!)

Instead of being boneless, which is what I usually find, these were called 'pork sirloin steak'. Boy the bone-in makes a huge difference in flavor. I seasoned the pork with the Hungarian Steak Seasoning and the Tony Chaterie Creole seasoning, then did a light flour dredge, just enough to set the meat. I browned on both sides and added some white wine to the skillet and let it evaporate. When it was just about gone I added some chicken broth and when it came to a boil I put the pan in the oven, which was on because I had an acorn squash baking.

Finished off the meal with some green peas and the last of the Jello Cabbage Salad. Now we're set for another day.....

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 10_27_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I've been hungry for pork steak and finally found it on sale.  (I'm SO cheep!)

Instead of being boneless, which is what I usually find, these were called 'pork sirloin steak'.  Boy the bone-in makes a huge difference in flavor.  I seasoned the pork with the Hungarian Steak Seasoning and the Tony Chaterie Creole seasoning, then did a light flour dredge, just enough to set the meat.  I browned on both sides and added some white wine to the skillet and let it evaporate.  When it was just about gone I added some chicken broth and when it came to a boil I put the pan in the oven, which was on because I had an acorn squash baking.

Finished off the meal with some green peas and the last of the Jello Cabbage Salad.  Now we're set for another day.....

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 10_27_10

Nothing better than the bone in the pork steaks Beth. You are so right about flavor.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cindy, the sauce / Italian tomato gravy, has to cook at least a minimum of two hours; just as you said.
Tina put a pot of sauce in the slow cooker ( crock pot ). She made meatballs with 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef. Then she added chunks of beef pork, and veal.
Chunks of Parmigiano and Romano cheese, about teaspoon size ; which melts into a pillow shaped chewy chunk.

The meds for the COPD seems to be helping my breathing. I'm qualified to get the portable concentrator too. That will give me more freedom instead of being tied to a 50 foot hose.  I get a kick out of my trip to the bathroom. Haaaaa .... Like, whoopie doo, here I go on a trip to visit the porcelain goddess! What a fun time and lovely trip.

The sauce smells good! I might sneak a meatball before I go to sleep tonight!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We celebrted three birthdays today. Mine which was the 22nd. DIL's Mom, and Liam's ( the baby ) whos is actually 2 y/o on halloween day.
I took some pics. Geeze, it looks like Christmas in the living room.
We had Shrimp scampi that DIL prepared. DD cooked zucchini spaghetti, and we had fresh made angel hair spaghetti. A cake with cow toys and farm  setting because the baby loves cows and duckies. hahahahahahaha
There was an icecream cake, and rice krispy treats that DIL made.
It was all so good. Ummmmmmm!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 Jpeg-i10
OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 9 Jpeg-i11

There are more pics I will add if I can find the downloaded pics.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks like everyone is having a great time, Jimmy.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have been trying to identify a fruit tree in my yard. I finally joined a garden forum and what I was told is that it is quince. Have any of you ever cooked and eaten quince? What did you think? I have never eaten the fruit and understand it must be cooked.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've seen quince paste, as well as guava paste, sold in the deli section of the grocery store, but I've never used it. I assumed it was baked in cookies, but that's just a guess on my part.

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I have been trying to identify a fruit tree in my yard. I finally joined a garden forum and what I was told is that it is quince. Have any of you ever cooked and eaten quince? What did you think? I have never eaten the fruit and understand it must be cooked.
I had a quince tree on our farm.  In our area of Niagara, they turned a bright yellow in mid October.  I love, love, love the fragrance of the fruit, and have made dozens, if not hundreds of jars of quince jelly/jam.  It is very high in pectin and for that, you don't have to add any extra pectin.  

I have used them in combination with red and hot pepper to make fabulous red pepper jelly. 

I made something called "Spoon Sweet" a recipe I found in I think one of  Julie Rosso's cookbooks.  Use it similarly to a chutney.  I'll see if I can find the recipe and post it here.

We had Greek guests one year, and they said that if the fruit is very ripe, they eat it raw.  

We never sprayed any of our trees, so mine were sometimes quite wormy, and cutting them was very labour intensive.  I did not peel them, but scrubbed with a stiff vegetable brush, then put in a big pasta pot with the strainer, covered with water and then boiled them until very soft.  I used my potato masher to get lots of the pulp into the liquid, so my jelly was always cloudy.  I suppose I could have strained it through a cheesecloth, but the flavour was fabulous, so why do the work was my thought.  

My B&B guests often said "OH, quince jelly, my mother used to make that".  I have one jar of the jelly left and I am hoarding it.  Quince are not readily available in stores here, I have only seen them once in one particular store.  My whole house smelled wonderful at quince time.  If they made a candle with that scent, I'd be burning it all the time!

I hope you enjoy your quince. Apparently they are a native North American tree.

P.S.  I found it, but it's in Sheila Lukins All Around the world cookbook. Page 512

About 3 pounds of quinces, quartered, peeled and cored
Juice and finely grated zest of 2 lemons
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 inch fresh, peeled ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves

1. place quinces in large, heavy non-reactive pot with the lemon juice, zest, and water. 
Add the sugar, ginger, cinnamon sticks and cloves.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and simmer until fruit is tender and the colour has changed to pale orange.
2 Cool to room temperature, remove cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

I had quite a bit of fruit, so I processed in a hot water bath in mason jars. Mine was quite chunky and we used it as a topping for meats like chicken or pork.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more information)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum