Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

+3
Crybaby
NormM
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:
I am going to be on a soft diet for at least 4 months. I had a dental implant last week. I have to wait for this to heal. Currently, I have still have stitches. Once the stitches are removed, I have to wait at least 4 months for everything to heal, stabilize, before I can get the tooth.

What I do not understand is how all these 'shops' are opening up; stating "Implants in one day".... unless they mean just the implant and not the tooth..

Just thank your lucky stars you didn't have to go to one of those places, CG. It always amazes me that people will trust their eye surgery to those places that advertise cheap radial keratotomy, e.g., only $249.95 per eye! I'm so thrilled that bifocal contacts will still work to correct my vision problems -- I'd never risk something going wrong with the surgery, or my reaction to it, since contacts are so easy to use these days.

Curious, Cindy. Once you get the stitches out, could you not just chew on the other side of your mouth so you could enjoy "regular" food?  Question  Question  Question

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Thank you all for the help. I am trying to recover from the trauma of what happened.
There was a double whammy. Last sunday was the cath lab to add two stents through the groin .... Then on tuesday, back to the cath lab for to fix another blockage by another Dr.
That food was excellent they prepared. I ate every morsel. Haaaa

You've been through the ringer alright -- and put away wet!

I know one thing for sure. A cardiac diet AT HOME will be a zillion times better than what they prepare in the hospital to fill that bill.

Tell Tina she needs to stop by that Krispy Kreme place she regularly goes to and apologize for the layoffs they're currently planning!!!!   Razz  Razz   affraid  affraid

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane brought back tomatoes from my brother's garden and I ended up making marinara out of them ~ I took a little too long to get to them and lost probably 1/4 to spoilage. The marinara ended up being just about a 16 oz. container, enough for one meal.

So, tonight was that meal! Chicken Parm w/angel hair pasta

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 4 10_09_10

NormM

NormM

at Costco the other day, I got a package of burnt ends from Jack Stack BBQ restaurant and Charlie heated it for supper tonight. This is the first time I have had them. Burnt ends are supposed to be one of the best BBQ creations out of Kansas City but if these are any example, I am not a big fan of so much sauce on BBQ. It was brisket and that is always good but I just prefer plain smoked over some with a lot of sauce on it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 4 Launch

Here is a launch picture. Wish it was better.

We'd have killed to see that!

Here is a Youtube video from a neighbor's yard. Looks fuzzy at first but then it clears up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Je5fdUHIJ8&feature=youtu.be

cheers  cheers

Thanks for posting this, too, Debbie. Brian and I both enjoyed watching it. Lucky you!!!

What was really interesting is that Joe said he could hear it. I couldn't but I am half deaf but the neighbors heard it.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Crybaby wrote:
cookingirl wrote:
I am going to be on a soft diet for at least 4 months. I had a dental implant last week. I have to wait for this to heal. Currently, I have still have stitches. Once the stitches are removed, I have to wait at least 4 months for everything to heal, stabilize, before I can get the tooth.

What I do not understand is how all these 'shops' are opening up; stating "Implants in one day".... unless they mean just the implant and not the tooth..

Just thank your lucky stars you didn't have to go to one of those places, CG. It always amazes me that people will trust their eye surgery to those places that advertise cheap radial keratotomy, e.g., only $249.95 per eye! I'm so thrilled that bifocal contacts will still work to correct my vision problems -- I'd never risk something going wrong with the surgery, or my reaction to it, since contacts are so easy to use these days.

Curious, Cindy. Once you get the stitches out, could you not just chew on the other side of your mouth so you could enjoy "regular" food?  Question  Question  Question

I can chew soft food on the other side of my mouth.
After the removal of stitches, I will be restricted from crunchy food for the next 4 months.. and chewing on the opposite side of my mouth...

Nothing sharp or crunchy allowed.. for fear of injuring the implant.

I am giving all my muchie crunchies to the Dental staff... I keep finding more and more things as I stock the new cabinets.

I have to find out about salads.. just love to have one or two huge chefs salads, a week... and the croutons.. My guess is that is a NO...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jimmy, I have a pretty good recipe for Turkey Meatloaf, which is not bad.
Ask Tina if she would want it..

With butternut squash and a bit of mashed potatoes, it is really comfort food.

and a very easy way to bake Cod or Haddock in the oven..

I thought of these last night.. I used to make these a lot for my dad...

You can always 'Doctor" them up to suit your tastes.

Let me know if you would like either recipe. I have to go digging them out of my files.

Bugster2

Bugster2

cookingirl wrote: I am going to be on a soft diet for at least 4 months. I had a dental implant last week. I have to wait for this to heal. Currently, I have still have stitches. Once the stitches are removed, I have to wait at least 4 months for everything to heal, stabilize, before I can get the tooth. What I do not understand is how all these 'shops' are opening up; stating "Implants in one day".... unless they mean just the implant and not the tooth.. wrote:

My mouth is all implants. I had to wait over a year before I got my crowns and another year for another set. The stitches drove me crazy - they tore up the inside of my mouth. My secret weapon was a Cuisinart mini. I ground up - didn't puree - all of my food so I could "gum" it around and swallow. Worked great for me.
You can get an implant in one day but it really won't stay in. It is shoddy workmanship. You need the bone grafts to grow and fill in the hole that holds the implant. That is why it takes so long.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had to take our car to Ocala, 30 minutes away, for service this morning and decided to go out to lunch while there for a change of pace.

I asked Dane if he'd like to get a Cuban sandwich, which he's a fan of. I had read good reports on a small place in Ocala and thought it would be fun to give it a try. He ordered the Cuban sandwich, which was made just as you'd expect: Cuban bread, yellow mustard, sliced 'deli' ham, pulled pork, Swiss cheese, thin dill pickles ~ pressed and grilled. He was a happy camper!

I decided to try their Picadillo to compare it to what I make.....It was like Cuban sloppy joe, including chunks of potato, yellow rice with mixed vegetables, Cuban black beans and 'fried' ripe plantains. I guess I had forgotten the original recipe called for large amonts of CILANTRO.....cilantro in the picadillo, in the rice, in the beans.....thank goodness I've gotten to the point it no longer tastes like 'dirty sweat socks' but is simply a taste I do not care for. I was able to eat my lunch but it's not something I'll be returning for, although Dane might return for another Cuban sandwich when we're in the area.

The picadillo was very similar to the recipe I used, lots of green olives, capers and theirs had whole raisins. I did not detect much in the way of the 'warm' spices that I put in mine (which I enjoy very much) of cinnamon, cloves & allspice.....there could have been a bit of cumin, which is in mine, but not enough to be very noticable. It was interesting they added chunks of potato to simmer in the beef mixture, and a nice addition to make it more of a complete meal.

NormM

NormM

Charlie requested empanadas today and I have the filling...Puerto Rican Picadillo. Mine does not have any rice or beans in it, and nearly no vegetables.

Niagara Visitor

Dinner tonight is the last of the stuffing, turkey and vegetables from Monday's Thanksgiving dinner.  I ended up with 15 people, it was sooooo much fun and I was so exhausted after.  There was no rabbit leftover, it was a big hit!  My sister, hubby and her granddaughter couldn't come, so I invited two neighbours.  Well, it was actually 5 people (two apartments)  It was really nice for my family to meet my neighbours and vice versa.  

I don't know how to add pictures here, but if someone wants to help, I could either message or email some pictures. I hope I can keep doing this kind of get-togethers for a few more years.  Both daughters-in-law are such great helpers, and I always end up with more wine after the party than when I started, everyone brings some.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Congratulations on a successful holiday, Lore! It's always fun when you have cheerful helpers who are able to help and not get in the way. Very happy for you.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie requested empanadas today and I have the filling...Puerto Rican Picadillo. Mine does not have any rice or beans in it, and nearly no vegetables.

I really made a mess of my description.....let me clear it up! The Picadillo was the ground beef mix with the olives, capers & raisins and a tomato based 'sauce'. The rice and beans both were side dishes, given a choice of white rice or yellow rice. The yellow rice had CILANTRO (ugh! LOL), mixed vegetables including peas, corn, carrots, green beans & onion....maybe more. The black beans were delicious, even with cilantro, and were seasoned well and had a lot of onion. The ripe plantains were fried in oil, I think, and were carmelized nicely as almost a sweet ending to a meal.

Next time we're going to try the Cuban coffee, which is reported to be authentic and very good.

By the way, Norm, do you make your own empanada dough or do you do as I and purchase the Goya brand in the frozen section of the grocery store? I thought they were very good, came easy to pull apart with plastic between the rounds. Since I don't care to deep fry I ended up baking mine and we really liked them.

NormM

NormM

I haven't found any empanada dough yet. I'd use it if I could find it. There is a Mexican grocery store just about a mile from here. They might have some. It would save a lot of time If they do have them.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Congratulations on a successful holiday, Lore!  It's always fun when you have cheerful helpers who are able to help and not get in the way.  Very happy for you.

We only have a "one butt" kitchen and people just get in the way. If I pulled out the bar stools and got everyone set up, they could work at the island.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here tonight. Dane is still full from his Cuban sandwich this noon. I was out and about so I picked up a Culver's Butterburger just to tide me over until tomorrow. Needless to say, given the amount of cilantro in my lunch, I didn't eat much so a small burger sounded good to me.

NormM

NormM

Here is today's empanadas. I picked up some egg roll wrappers to deal with the extra
filling. I could have made extra empanada dough but didn't want to. OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 4 20181015

bethk

bethk
Admin

The egg roll wrappers are a great idea! If I couldn't get the frozen empanadas wrappers I'd definitely go that route.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
cookingirl wrote:

After the removal of stitches, I will be restricted from crunchy food for the next 4 months.. and chewing on the opposite side of my mouth...

I am giving all my muchie crunchies to the Dental staff... I keep finding more and more things as I stock the new cabinets.

I have to find out about salads.. just love to have one or two huge chefs salads, a week... and the croutons.. My guess is that is a NO...

Let me know if you would like either recipe. I have to go digging them out of my files.

Cindy....we would appreciate the recipe. Thank you!

NormM

NormM

Beth, Charlie loves the empanada dough but I actually think I like the egg roll wrapper better.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
cookingirl wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
cookingirl wrote:

As I said, I just chopped up everything very fine in my Cuisinart mini. I did hot dogs, buns and all, steak, you name it. It worked great. I was missing my lowers first and then my uppers. I gummed that minced food with no problem. It tasted and felt just fine in my mouth. There are some things I just can't stomach due to the texture. One that literally makes me gag are cake bites. Ever had one? Well, to me it felt like it had already been chewed and my stomach protested mightily. Joe got a huge laugh watching me gag and trying to spit the danged mess out of my mouth.

I made a copycat Starbuck's egg bites recipe tonight. Wasn't bad but I have had better. This recipe used gruyere and bacon and I have had similar ones that were ham, colby jack and green onions. I think I will try that combo next. Joe and Katie had egg salad sandwiches.

cookingirl

cookingirl

[quote="UNCLE JIMMY"]
cookingirl wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
cookingirl wrote:
I

t.

Ok Jimmy... It is really bland and simple.

I have not made either, for a long time

I pulled out the turkey meatloaf recipe, to use, next week or over the weekend...

I will have to find the fresh cod/haddock one.

I will post them, later.

The fish is really easy and plain, but so good.

It is baked in a milk bath. Yup, takes away all the 'fishiness' and is topped with breadcrumbs and a dot of butter, to melt under the broiler.

Really easy, but good. I may make it soon.. since I have a NEW Stove, NEW OVEN!!! finally!! and it is soft!

Jimmy, You can also use the "I can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray for the topping. You can cut calories/fat, that way.

I know several people who use it, swearing that it is not bad. I used to use the container of ICBINB.. not bad, at all.

later...

Niagara Visitor

Today is head cheese making day for me.  I found a market a while go which has the biggest, meatiest pork hocks for me to use.  My late husband's best friend and wife (88 and 86 years old) just love it.  She can't make it any more, so two or three times a year I make it.  Well, my sis loves it too, as well as my neighbour, so I make a bunch.  

It won't be set yet for my dinner, so I have a small steak that will go in the oven for me for tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I browned the skin on some chicken thighs I deboned in my cast iron skillet and then finished it in the oven since I was roasting some delicata squash slices and asparagus. What an easy way to make a complete dinner!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 4 10_11_10

cookingirl

cookingirl

Ok, here is the Recipe for the turkey meatloaf.. not much to it, but if I remember correctly, it was not bad.

I got it in 2000, from one of the Boston Newspapers.  I picked up the ingredients and will probably make it Monday.

Mike's City Diner Turkey Meatloaf

2 lbs ground turkey

2 Tbs grated Romano Cheese

1/3 cup or more to taste of minced Onion

2 tsp fresh chopped parsley

2 eggs

1/3 cup bread crumbs   (you can use the seasoned bread crumbs, if you wish)

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp salt    ( I omitted this because of my Dad)

1/2 tsp Oregano (I love oregano, so I add more)

You could always add a bit of garlic powder or fresh garlic to 'jazz' it up

Preheat to 350n degrees
Mix all ingredients together. Transfer to a large load pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted thought comes out clean.

The diner served this with mashed potatoes and butternut squash...

This is a really simple recipe, but for some reason it tastes good. I think it is from the Romano cheese and the fresh parsley.

Quick, simple, easy.

I halve the recipe and there are still a lot of leftovers.

Ps... used my new oven to bake a chicken pot pie... It works!!! For this, it cooked evenly!! and in the appropriate time without having to keep moving it around. It was so good not to have to guess at time, temp, keep turning it, and still have food come out half baked...

Fingers crossed this keeps up!!

NormM

NormM

A few days ago I wanted some pork shoulder for a recipe but the smallest one I could find was too big, so I cut off some of it and saved it until today when I put it in the smoker.OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 4 20181016

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum