Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

+3
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Crybaby

Crybaby

I wanted to use the two big pork tenderloins to make a large rolled pork roast, stuffed with a spicy sausage stuffing the other day but wimped out due to back pain and decided to make something quicker.

I cut each tenderloin into 1-1/2 to 1-3/4-inch-thick “slices,” and wrapped a whole piece of bacon around each one, affixing the end with one toothpick inserted so they wouldn’t interfere with the browning. With the smaller end pieces, I just folded each over on itself so it was a similar thickness as the other whole slices. I added a bit of olive oil to an oven proof sauté pan and browned then up on both sides and then browned the sides a bit too, just to make sure the bacon was cooked somewhat. I had to do this in batches because I had a lot of bacon-wrapped pork.

Meanwhile, I preheated the oven to 350°F. When all the pork was browned nicely, I took the temp of a couple of pieces of pork and it the temp of each was around 100°F. I mixed about 1/3 cup of peach preserves (I’d have rather use apricot preserves but we were out of it) with 1/3 cup of Creole mustard (it’s a whole-grain mustard, we use Zatarain’s, a local brand). I liberally brushed the mustard mixture all over the bacon-wrapped pork and put the skillet full in the oven for 20 minutes. I took the temp again and it was a perfect 145°F so I removed the pan from the oven, put a pot holder around the handle so I didn’t make THAT mistake, and again brushed them liberally with the mustard/preserve mixtures and covered the pot and let the meat rest for around 7 minutes.

They turned out sooo good and were perfectly cooked to a moist light pink. I’ve used that mustard mixture before but only when I was making a whole pork tenderloin. Worked out great this way, too. We had them with fresh green beans that I smothered with onions and some chopped up smoked applewood bacon that I’d ordered from a smoked goods website a good while back. The bacon was delicious but I really didn’t like how finely it had been chopped up. The beans didn’t look very appetizing but like Brian said, they sure tasted good.

When we frigerated the pork after dinner, I poured the remaining mustard mixture over them. Reheated them slowly in the microwave last night after bringing them to room temp and we enjoyed another meal. I’m sure Brian is going to hit the leftovers for lunch again today.

I’m going to make some fresh tomato sauce (I posted the recipe recently) using four super ripe homegrown tomatoes I have on hand, and serve it mixed with some imported hot bucatini tonight. We can finish off the last of the peach mustard pork alongside that. Looking forward to having the pork a third time!

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm taking my sister to another medical appointment today, so it will be a lunch out (again)

How's your sister doing, Lore? I know how worried you are about her.
"stabilized" possibly a more cautionary word to use compared with "remission".  Tumors in her spine are not growing, pain is manageable, so it's one day at a time.  She had radiation on the spine, now is on an anti-cancer drug.  One day at a time is all we can say, hope for etc.  Other than pain she feels fine.  She's able to eat, so we go out whenever I take her for an appointment.  Thanks for asking.

P.S.  I just finished a stuffed pepper, but also a great salad of fresh leaf lettuce, cucumber the "new" superfood, and purslane, yes the generally considered weed, purslane all from a friend's garden.  I just found out about  purslane recently.  It was crunchy, has a slight lemony flavour.  Have any of you here had it?????

203July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I wanted to use the two big pork tenderloins to make a large rolled pork roast, stuffed with a spicy sausage stuffing the other day but wimped out due to back pain and decided to make something quicker.

I cut each tenderloin into 1-1/2 to 1-3/4-inch-thick “slices,” and wrapped a whole piece of bacon around each one, affixing the end with one toothpick inserted so they wouldn’t interfere with the browning. With the smaller end pieces, I just folded each over on itself so it was a similar thickness as the other whole slices. I added a bit of olive oil to an oven proof sauté pan and browned then up on both sides and then browned the sides a bit too, just to make sure the bacon was cooked somewhat. I had to do this in batches because I had a lot of bacon-wrapped pork.

Meanwhile, I preheated the oven to 350°F. When all the pork was browned nicely, I took the temp of a couple of pieces of pork and it the temp of each was around 100°F. I mixed about 1/3 cup of peach preserves (I’d have rather use apricot preserves but we were out of it) with 1/3 cup of Creole mustard (it’s a whole-grain mustard, we use Zatarain’s, a local brand). I liberally brushed the mustard mixture all over the bacon-wrapped pork and put the skillet full in the oven for 20 minutes. I took the temp again and it was a perfect 145°F so I removed the pan from the oven, put a pot holder around the handle so I didn’t make THAT mistake, and again brushed them liberally with the mustard/preserve mixtures and covered the pot and let the meat rest for around 7 minutes.  

They turned out sooo good and were perfectly cooked to a moist light pink. I’ve used that mustard mixture before but only when I was making a whole pork tenderloin. Worked out great this way, too. We had them with fresh green beans that I smothered with onions and some chopped up smoked applewood bacon that I’d ordered from a smoked goods website a good while back. The bacon was delicious but I really didn’t like how finely it had been chopped up. The beans didn’t look very appetizing but like Brian said, they sure tasted good.

When we frigerated the pork after dinner, I poured the remaining mustard mixture over them. Reheated them slowly in the microwave last night after bringing them to room temp and we enjoyed another meal. I’m sure Brian is going to hit the leftovers for lunch again today.

I’m going to make some fresh tomato sauce (I posted the recipe recently) using four super ripe homegrown tomatoes I have on hand, and serve it mixed with some imported hot bucatini tonight. We can finish off the last of the peach mustard pork alongside that. Looking forward to having the pork a third time!

Do you and Brian make sucky slurpy noises with the Bucatini??
Do you get slapped in the nose as you suck up the strands??hahahahah

Did you ever try Perciatelli Macaroni? They are long but big like soda straws size hole! They are impossible to eat quiet. Me and Brother loved to eat them, but mom wouldn't allow them. They were too noisy, and she was a strict Catholic that frowned at silliness at the kitchen table while eating. Razz Neutral She said the Devil was laughing; while God was crying!What a Face

204July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Aged beef fillets and red rice and beans.

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Img_1029

205July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Pizza tonight: one with 4 cheeses and basil and the other with pepperoni and sausage.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night we had an impromptu visit from Andrea and the kids. I talked with her around 1:00 p.m. and she said they didn't have anything going on so maybe they'd come and go to dinner with us. She wanted to see the house "one more time" before it goes on the market. Jim was on the road for work as usual so other than getting kids ready for school and college, it's fairly quiet for her.

We ended up going to a little place by the lake so I could finally get my Lake Erie perch. It was magnificent!!! It's one of those meals you take for granted until you don't have it available.....and then you really miss it. But I'm happy now - life is good.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm taking my sister to another medical appointment today, so it will be a lunch out (again)

How's your sister doing, Lore? I know how worried you are about her.
"stabilized" possibly a more cautionary word to use compared with "remission".  Tumors in her spine are not growing, pain is manageable, so it's one day at a time.  She had radiation on the spine, now is on an anti-cancer drug.  One day at a time is all we can say, hope for etc.  Other than pain she feels fine.  She's able to eat, so we go out whenever I take her for an appointment.  Thanks for asking.

I can definitely empathize with anyone dealing with pain, though I'm sure your sister's pain is on a much higher level than mine. Glad she's still got a good appetite, too, as that's often so important to maintaining ones health. She's lucky to have you helping her as well, and I'm sure she's very grateful for your assistance and companionship when going to her appointments.

Niagara Visitor wrote:P.S.  I just finished a stuffed pepper, but also a great salad of fresh leaf lettuce, cucumber the "new" superfood, and purslane, yes the generally considered weed, purslane all from a friend's garden.  I just found out about  purslane recently.  It was crunchy, has a slight lemony flavour.  Have any of you here had it?????

I've read about purslane but have never seen it for sale, nor do I know anyone who has grown any. Your description of its flavor sounds super!

In the same vein, I am looking forward to fall (around here anything masquerading as fall begins around October if we're lucky) to get some lettuce planted again. And I love, love, love arugula, too, which I'm eager to plant again. We also grow baby bok choy from seed and it's one of the few veggies Brian likes -- it's so darn quick to saute with some seasoning meat, whether it's bacon, ham or tasso!  And baby bok chok unpicked simply grows into "adult" bok choy with no loss of taste either.  Can't wait to have different varieties of lettuce just a few paces from our back door -- it does bring me great joy to go pick just the leaves we need!

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Leftovers. Ham, green beans and potatoes. We're both exhausted. Painting and washing windows most of the day. I have a couple requests in for estimates to hove a bit of exterior painting done. Dane redid the stucco on the garage last year and two sides still need to be painted, as well as a fresh coat of paint on the outside of the utility room. He could do it but I'm afraid we're running short on time. We only have 3 weeks before we have to be back in Florida.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Do you and Brian make sucky slurpy noises with the Bucatini?? Do you get slapped in the nose as you suck up the strands??hahahahah

Did you ever try Perciatelli Macaroni? They are long but big like soda straws size hole! They are impossible to eat quiet. Me and Brother loved to eat them, but mom wouldn't allow them. They were too noisy, and she was a strict Catholic that frowned at silliness at the kitchen table while eating. Razz Neutral  She said the Devil was laughing;  while God was crying!What a Face  

No to noises while we eat pasta, Jimmy, and no, I don't think I've ever had perciatelli either. I'm Catholic, too, but didn't know silliness at the table was one of their rules. Having endured 12 years of Catholic education, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of that one!!!

BTW, for the first time ever recently, or perhaps it was due to the concept of relativity, I actually saw pork necks for sale in the grocery! They were dirt cheap so i bought a large pack of about 8, as I remember you said your mom used to put some in her marinara sauce! I sealed 2 or 3 to a FoodSaver package and froze them for the next time I make maranara, which won't be anytime soon as I have a couple of bags of it in the freezer, as I made a ton of it the last time I made meatballs. Can't wait to put a couple of those in my sauce as I'll bet they add tons of flavor. Thanks for a tip from your mom; I'll let you know what happens when I get around to using a bag!

It's almost dinner time so I'm going to run. Leftover fresh tomato pasta for both of us and the last bacon-wrapped slice of pork tenderloin for Brian. That pasta alone will be plenty for me so I let my meat lover have that last bit!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Aged beef fillets and red rice and beans.

Looks JUST like red beans and rice to me, Jimmy! Where are you hiding that red rice anyway?! Razz Razz Razz

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Last night we had an impromptu visit from Andrea and the kids.  I talked with her around 1:00 p.m. and she said they didn't have anything going on so maybe they'd come and go to dinner with us.  She wanted to see the house "one more time" before it goes on the market. Jim was on the road for work as usual so other than getting kids ready for school and college, it's fairly quiet for her.

We ended up going to a little place by the lake so I could finally get my Lake Erie perch.  It was magnificent!!!  It's one of those meals you take for granted until you don't have it available.....and then you really miss it.  But I'm happy now - life is good.

How sweet of her!  How long a drive is that for her to make, Beth? Guess they drove back the same night, right, as I figure there's no furniture in your house. Which makes me wonder where the heck you guys are sleeping! Am curious about what Jim does for a living that he has to travel often. Must be some type of sales job. I used to travel occasionally when I was in advertising, mostly by air as I'd only make car trips to about as far as Mobile, which is about 290 miles roundtrip. God, I hated traveling. It sounded wonderful when you were young until you had to do it regularly. Brian hated it even more than I did when I had to leave town. He did a little "happy dance" when I came home one night around 2:30 in the morning from work (just stayed late to work on a couple of presentations (speeches, really) I had to make on a trip to Lake Tahoe -- it was going to be the first ever annual meeting of all our client's franchises. I told Brian the next morning that I'd decided to go in and give notice!  I can STILL see that grin on his face, too! He was p.o.'d that I was still going to go to Lake Tahoe but I told him I had to. But the boss was so furious about my giving notice that I ended up not going. He was over the moon when I called him and told him I was heading home -- a free woman!

Glad you got your perch, too!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:No cooking tonight. Leftovers.  Ham, green beans and potatoes. We're both exhausted. Painting and washing windows most of the day. I have a couple requests in for estimates to hove a bit of exterior painting done. Dane redid the stucco on the garage last year and two sides still need to be painted, as well as a fresh coat of paint on the outside of the utility room. He could do it but I'm afraid we're running short on time. We only have 3 weeks before we have to be back in Florida.

What's going on in Florida that you have to be back for, Beth? Sorry -- I sure have a lot of questions today! Embarassed Razz

NormM

NormM

Our dinner tonight was a variation on the Martini chicken I make so often.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 20180732

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Leftovers. Ham, green beans and potatoes. We're both exhausted. Painting and washing windows most of the day. I have a couple requests in for estimates to hove a bit of exterior painting done. Dane redid the stucco on the garage last year and two sides still need to be painted, as well as a fresh coat of paint on the outside of the utility room. He could do it but I'm afraid we're running short on time. We only have 3 weeks before we have to be back in Florida.

NormM

NormM

I painted the back porch yesterday and my back muscles are sore today. Charlie promised not to power wash the porch again. Last time I painted it, he washed it and most of the paint came off with it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed.....I'm posting from an iPad and it's more difficult to work with than my computer.

Andrea had a 4 1/2 hour drive. She always gets a room at The Courtyard close by with jim's hotel "points". Tori stayed at the house with us on the blow up bed Andrea brought with her. We do have a bed, a couple TV's, our old couch, 2 chairs and Robin's dining set. My friend will take the lazy boy, Robin will take her dining set to use as a game table. The couch, matching chair, ottoman and coffee table will be given away, donated or left with the property if the buyers want the stuff. Robin left dishes and cookware for us to use. Lord knows she's got a boatload between hers and Ben's.

Jim is a VP for a semi truck trailer leasing company. He travels to their different locations to hire and train personnel. He flies from Indy to Jacksonville, Atlanta, Columbus, some places in N.Carolina and other places I don't remember. He also plays a lot of golf with customers. He works long hours and Andrea holds down the fort. It seems to work well for them.

Dane has his second round of dental work scheduled for mid August so that's why he wants to get back.i suppose he could reschedule since it's not bothering him. But he's ready to be done and get home.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I know exactly what you mean. The freshly power washed utility room is why I have a call in for estimates to have it painted. Clean ain't all it's cracked up to be!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I painted the back porch yesterday and my back muscles are sore today.  Charlie promised not to power wash the porch again. Last time I painted it, he washed it and most of the paint came off with it.

He must've used a too-high pressure setting, right Norm? Laughed, as we just got our house pressure washed about two weeks ago. It really needed it and we paid a man who'd done work for both homeowners on either side of us. His name is Jacques and he's from Senegal -- a really nice man who always chats it up and laughs with Brian. Really charged us a bundle but I called two "professionals" to get a bid and neither of them even called me back to schedule a time when they could come out. And I didn't want a handyman type person to do it because I wanted to avoid what happened to you when Charlie did it. So I finally told Brian to go ahead and tell him we'd be calling him to schedule it. I heard Brian one morning when I walked out to the balcony telling him we'd be going with him and confirming the price. I could've died when I heard him telling Brian his fee didn't include the 50 bucks he'd need to buy bleach for the job. I came close to telling him to forget it but Brian kept bugging me about getting it done so I kept my tongue especially when Brian glanced at me and I could see it in his eyes that he'd prefer I let it go so I did. When I asked Brian later when Jacques was coming, he told me Jacques was going to call him the following week. When Wednesday of the next week came and went, I asked him to phone Jacques and get a firm date. I came home a day or two later and the front of the house looked super and he'd cleaned the sidewalk in front of our house, something I'd ALWAYS forget to ask prior guys to do, just assuming they would. Brian came outside to greet me and admire Jacques' work and I asked him how the rest of the house looked. He said, "Well, he just did the front today but promised to finish up within two days! I just don't get people today, I really don't.

Then he ticked me off again, as he didn't move the heavy plants back that he removed from our back deck (he wasn't doing the back deck) prior to washing the back wall of our house. I reminded Brian that when Jacques painted the neighbor's house about 9 months ago and came into our yard to paint a small wall of the neighbor's house which is right near our property line, he didn't move back the items he'd moved out of his way then either. Brian said he had indeed moved them back. I told him no, that I was the one who ended up moving everything back as I got tired of waiting for Brian to speak to Jacques about it. And he took down our bat house at that time and didn't put it back and it's way higher than the small ladder we have so we're unable to get it back up even if we were still inclined to do ladder work. Mr. Nice Guy said he'd ask Jacques to put the bat house back up the next time he saw him next door. Let's just say I won't be standing on one leg waiting for Brian to ask or Jacques to act. The men who cut our grass were nice enough to move the plants back to the deck for us finally.

But the house (and the sidewalk and the walkway in the alley) really look great so I guess I really should count my blessings there! I sure miss the days when high school kids would knock on doors with flyers saying all the things they'd do for you during the summer to earn spending money -- besides grass mowing, they'd wash and wax cars, wash windows, weed gardens, lay sod, dig new gardens, etc. Now I doubt kids would want to brave the heat to do anything. It's something I really miss as I'd love to hire two for a couple of hours to move furniture around in my living room. We'd both benefit as I'd be more than generous with them! And I'd tell them to come back during the school year and I'd make sure they got more work. But I think they must be all inside playing video games or posting stuff on Snapchat or something. I wonder if young girls still babysit, something I began doing at 12! I loved earning my own money back then and working really made me learn the value of a dollar, as when I worked for it, I sure took my time spending it, always figuring out how many hours I'd worked to before buying that blouse or whatever.

NormM

NormM

The pressure washer we have only has two settings: On and Off. Earlier than the porch, he was using it to clean out a gutter and the washer put a hole in it. He replaced the gutter himself when we decided to move the down spout to the other side so it would drain away from a basement window.

I mowed lawns and baby sat when I was in high school.

220July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

Looks JUST like red beans and rice to me, Jimmy!  Where are you hiding that red rice anyway?! Razz Razz Razz

drunken Bass Ackwards Huh?.....

221July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eggplant breaded and fried. Tina bought the eggplants in a Hornings in Bethel, PA. They were almost seedless. Not bitter, and tasty.

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Img_1031
July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 9 Img_1030

Bugster2

Bugster2

I fed Joe and Katie smoked salmon on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, red onion, capers and tomato.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Looks JUST like red beans and rice to me, Jimmy!  Where are you hiding that red rice anyway?! Razz Razz Razz

drunken Bass Ackwards Huh?.....

You'd laugh, as Bass is my last name, Jimmy!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Sorry if this is a bit disjointed.....I'm posting from an iPad and it's more difficult to work with than my computer.

Andrea had a 4 1/2 hour drive. She always gets a room at The Courtyard close by with jim's hotel "points". Tori stayed at the house with us on the blow up bed Andrea brought with her.  We do have a bed, a couple TV's, our old couch, 2 chairs and Robin's dining set. My friend will take the lazy boy, Robin will take her dining set to use as a game table. The couch, matching chair, ottoman and coffee table will be given away, donated or left with the property if the buyers want the stuff.  Robin left dishes and cookware for us to use. Lord knows she's got a boatload between hers and Ben's.

Boy, you two are really well organized, Beth! I know you're busy as all get out but I'm wondering if you and Tori made breakfast this morning...

bethk wrote:Jim is a VP for a semi truck trailer leasing company. He travels to their different locations to hire and train personnel. He flies from Indy to Jacksonville, Atlanta, Columbus, some places in N.Carolina and other places I don't remember.  He also plays a lot of golf with customers. He works long hours and Andrea holds down the fort. It seems to work well for them.

Wow, that's a lot of travel. I know a lot of spouses seem to handle their partner's travel quite well. Airline and hotel credits are certainly valuable perks of Jim's job!

My SIL used to say she'd have divorced my brother years ago if he hadn't worked and lived for so long in Houston, coming home every other weekend. Now that he's retired, he's the same as he was when he came home from Houston periodically -- he is a lump on a log and does nothing all day except watch TV and twirl his hair in his fingers (a nervous habit I guess as my sister did it, too). Sally still works part-time as an interior decorator so I'm sure she's thrilled to be away from him part of the day as I'd find his behavior depressing. He reminds me of my father, as he too did absolutely nothing around the house just like my brother, even though my mom worked 5-1/2 days a week as an RN for about 12 years until she changed jobs and had Saturdays off. I was always amazed that my brother didn't even feel guilty when my mom was out there on Saturday afternoon or Sunday mowing her big back yard. If I was around, we usually did it together. Him? He just sat on the sofa watching TV, even if "nothing" was on. No shame either. Brian would die a thousand deaths before he'd act like that. Even with his bad back and horrendous working hours (he was almost tied to his laptop even when he was home from work), when my mom started having problems, Brian and I would go over there and mow her lawn. He hated her mower (electric) so I would be in charge of handling the electric cord while he mowed, feeding it out and then changing my position and winding it up, feeding it out, etc. When I hired a neighborhood high school kid to mow it weekly and asked my brother and sister to pitch in with me to pay for it, both of them whined like crazy even though they could buy and sell me 10 times over. My brother not only said that I was paying the girl too much (by 5 dollars but he's very tight with his money except if he's spending it for something HE wants), he said that he didn't see the need to hire someone to do it since he and his son went over "most weekends" and mowed it. I told him that was funny, since Brian and I had just done it four weekends in a row and we sure didn't spot him while we were there! And of course, he wasn't even in town more than 2 weekends a month if that. But never let a good lie stand in the way of the truth!

bethk wrote:Dane has his second round of dental work scheduled for mid August so that's why he wants to get back.i suppose he could reschedule since it's not bothering him. But he's ready to be done and get home.

Now THAT doesn't surprise me, as you two have earned it. Can't wait to hear what you start doing to your place once things settle down, Beth, as I know you've been planning for a while things you'd like to do, particularly in your kitchen!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bass - That's why I was snickering! Hahaha

Last edited by bethk on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum