Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

+3
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Niagara Visitor

Leftovers for me today.  I was at my sister's yesterday, she made  great meatloaf and there was enough for a care package for me.  I love meatloaf.  A few days ago I made stuffed peppers (again) for my son and daughter-in-law.  Gave them to Michael today, and a cookbook by Stephen Reichlen.  I think it's called The Barbecue bible.  Michael has gotten into grilling, and bought a smoker.  He was excited to get the book and is looking forward to smoking.  I guess all those years of eating the things his father did on the firepit and smoked in our smoke chamber made an impression on him.

252July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is that pie Jimmy?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs - that's one of jimmy's 50 cent pies from Wal Mart.

Jimmy, you remember WHY there was a season for pork....hogs were slaughtered in the fall when it was cooler. It was a large family or community event. We didn't process our own meat but traded half our steer for the labor costs. And I think Dad got half a hog in the deal, too, even though we didn't raise any hogs. We had a big chest freezer in the shed, out by the barn, and it was full of meat wrapped in brown butchers paper.

NormM

NormM

OH. Maybe sausage would be ready then around the end of winter? If so, that explains why there is a country church not far from where I used to live that had an all day pancake feed day where they sold sausage by the pound as well as pancake dinners. It was always on Groundhog Day. They called it Ground Hog Day.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

255July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

"Ground Hog Day"..........That's truly great marketing! Hahahaha

256July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What is that pie Jimmy?

Like Beth said.... 50 cent pies from WalMart. That one is the apple.
Gotta watch though, they have some that are sugar free. Tina bought them by mistake once. They were still ok though, but not like the ones made with sugar.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have tried a couple of them. The blueberry was ok but I didn't like the cherry or pecan.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jake is here for supper. Fried chicken with zucchini/summer squash/onion sauté. I also made a few chicken 'fingers' in case a leg & thigh isn't enough for him.

NormM

NormM

Our dinner tonight was meatloaf.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 20180734

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[Never knew what a bagel was growing up in Pennsylvania. Nor English muffins, Pastrami, Corned beef, or New England clam chowder.
After the service and the move to this darn state just to get a job that paid halfway decent, and only after that......we were introduced to that foods.

The fresh bagel has to be crisp outside, and soft and warm inside.
Lox chopped in with the creamcheese is my favorite.
I'll never forget, my brother lived in MD, and we took a trip to visit.
It was 97ºF that day. He served breakfast outside on the picnic table, and had all these fresh baked bagels from the Baltimore City.
A lazy susan was all divided with.... diced fresh mushrooms / chopped tomatoes / chopped broccoli /  chopped cauliflower / chopped onions.... fresh raisins, / chopped lox / and cream cheese spread.
OMG..... it was the best fix it yourself bagel brunch ever. I couldn't stop eating them.... Tina went with just butter and jelly or jam.
She is NOT a veggie eater, and won't eat raw onions....or Seafood.

Fun reading about your first exposure to bagels, Jimmy! That spread sounds delicious though I've never had nor even seen lox chopped up and mixed with cream cheese. I'm sure I would love it, too.

My father grew up in New York and Chicago, cities with a much larger Jewish population than New Orleans. He was a big fan of and frequented a great deli that was in N.O. until 1987 called Bill Long's Bakery and Delicatessen. He'd bring home delicious pastrami, corned beef, and peppered beef along with fantastic pumpernickel and rye bread with caraway seeds. He'd also regularly bought some stuff that only he liked that he knew would last in the fridge, like tongue, liver cheese (I ate it when I was a young kid but don't care for it anymore) and really stinky cheeses like Limburger (I just read Limburger, the most popular of the stinky cheeses, "is fermented using Brevibacterium linens, a bacterium partly responsible for the smell of the human body. As a result, when people say Limburger smells like human feet they are scientifically correct." Gag! My mom used to fuss at him if he didn't keep it wrapped up in the deli paper it came in and then insisted that he enclose the wrapped package in a sealed container in the fridge. I remember him laughing like a little kid when she'd fuss about the smell and I also remember him winking at us while she complained about it! Sort of reminds me of you, Jimmy, now that I think about him doing that. Shocked Razz

I didn't have a bagel until I was out of high school, as you just didn't see them often though I know Bill Long's sold them. If I remember correctly, I don't think my mom liked them which is probably why my dad never brought any home. I didn't have my first really good bagel until I went to NYC in my early 30s. I love 'em today. We buy Thomas's everything bagels but I sure wish someone sold good ol' onion bagels! Bill Long, the owner of the deli, was shot and killed in a robbery attempt in front of the deli in 1985 while his wife watched out the window. The deli closed about two years later. People here still lament its absence. I just looked up some articles to make sure I had the years right and remembered when I read it that people "came from all over the city to buy Bill Long's potato salad." It was a mayonnaise based type whereas my family preferred mustard in ours but I remember my father loved it, again probably because he could enjoy the container at leisure and not worry one of us kids eating all of it before he had a chance to finish it!

It's funny, as lots of the places that have closed over the years that people in N.O. still talk about are often joked about, as people always say about those places that they "ain't dere no more!" (with "dere" being pronounced as "dare"). Sometimes you will see a list of places, be it restaurants, groceries, holes in the wall, barrooms, that "ain't dere no more" -- always makes me laugh. Some of the places were indeed true New Orleans icons and others didn't seem to be really very highly thought of UNTIL they weren't "dere no more!" But I guess that's true all over...

261July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[Never knew what a bagel was growing up in Pennsylvania. Nor English muffins, Pastrami, Corned beef, or New England clam chowder.
After the service and the move to this darn state just to get a job that paid halfway decent, and only after that......we were introduced to that foods.

The fresh bagel has to be crisp outside, and soft and warm inside.
Lox chopped in with the creamcheese is my favorite.
I'll never forget, my brother lived in MD, and we took a trip to visit.
It was 97ºF that day. He served breakfast outside on the picnic table, and had all these fresh baked bagels from the Baltimore City.
A lazy susan was all divided with.... diced fresh mushrooms / chopped tomatoes / chopped broccoli /  chopped cauliflower / chopped onions.... fresh raisins, / chopped lox / and cream cheese spread.
OMG..... it was the best fix it yourself bagel brunch ever. I couldn't stop eating them.... Tina went with just butter and jelly or jam.
She is NOT a veggie eater, and won't eat raw onions....or Seafood.

Fun reading about your first exposure to bagels, Jimmy!  That spread sounds delicious though I've never had nor even seen lox chopped up and mixed with cream cheese. I'm sure I would love it, too.

My father grew up in New York and Chicago, cities with a much larger Jewish population than New Orleans. He was a big fan of and frequented a great deli that was in N.O. until 1987 called Bill Long's Bakery and Delicatessen. He'd bring home delicious pastrami, corned beef, and peppered beef along with fantastic pumpernickel and rye bread with caraway seeds. He'd also regularly bought some stuff that only he liked that he knew would last in the fridge, like tongue, liver cheese (I ate it when I was a young kid but don't care for it anymore) and really stinky cheeses like Limburger (I just read Limburger, the most popular of the stinky cheeses, "is fermented using Brevibacterium linens, a bacterium partly responsible for the smell of the human body. As a result, when people say Limburger smells like human feet they are scientifically correct." Gag!  My mom used to fuss at him if he didn't keep it wrapped up in the deli paper it came in and then insisted that he enclose the wrapped package in a sealed container in the fridge. I remember him laughing like a little kid when she'd fuss about the smell and I also remember him winking at us while she complained about it! Sort of reminds me of you, Jimmy, now that I think about him doing that. Shocked Razz

I didn't have a bagel until I was out of high school, as you just didn't see them often though I know Bill Long's sold them. If I remember correctly, I don't think my mom liked them which is probably why my dad never brought any home. I didn't have my first really good bagel until I went to NYC in my early 30s. I love 'em today. We buy Thomas's everything bagels but I sure wish someone sold good ol' onion bagels! Bill Long, the owner of the deli, was shot and killed in a robbery attempt in front of the deli in 1985 while his wife watched out the window. The deli closed about two years later. People here still lament its absence. I just looked up some articles to make sure I had the years right and remembered when I read it that people "came from all over the city to buy Bill Long's potato salad." It was a mayonnaise based type whereas my family preferred mustard in ours but I remember my father loved it, again probably because he could enjoy the container at leisure and not worry one of us kids eating all of it before he had a chance to finish it!

It's funny, as lots of the places that have closed over the years that people in N.O. still talk about are often joked about, as people always say about those places that they "ain't dere no more!" (with "dere" being pronounced as "dare"). Sometimes you will see a list of places, be it restaurants, groceries, holes in the wall, barrooms, that "ain't dere no more" -- always makes me laugh. Some of the places were indeed true New Orleans icons and others didn't seem to be really very highly thought of UNTIL they weren't "dere no more!" But I guess that's true all over...

Love the Louisiana Accent... Tina and I were friends "Wid Ah Couple frum LA. when we were in the Navy. His last name was "Boursua"( sp. )
I can't spell it, but sounds like (Boosh--Waw!) He was French Cajun,
and we called him ( "Caje" ) Anyway his wife Jeannie I remember, could not taste. She lost her sense of smell, and she could not taste a thing. That I could never forget. I just loved to hear him speak. What a great couple.....

Well... anyway .... "In PA Dutch", "It aint uz ee-zee as shtackin woot Lass!"

BTW.... I got me a pot of split pea soup ; cookin in the slow cookin pot. Carrots and Ham, and a gaggle of chopped unyuns!
Pat-ay-tus go in at the last end of the cookin. Don't cha know!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wish me luck.....gonna try to cook salmon for Dane and Jake on the little bitty charcoal grill tonight....no gas grill here.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Love the Louisiana Accent... Tina and I were friends "Wid Ah Couple frum LA. when we were in the Navy. His last name was "Boursua"( sp. ) I can't spell it, but sounds like (Boosh--Waw!)  He was French Cajun, and we called him ( "Caje" )  

Laughed, Jimmy, because I was confused at first until I read Boosh-Waw!

That would be Bourgeois!

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Leftovers for me today.  I was at my sister's yesterday, she made  great meatloaf and there was enough for a care package for me.  I love meatloaf.  A few days ago I made stuffed peppers (again) for my son and daughter-in-law.  Gave them to Michael today, and a cookbook by Stephen Reichlen.  I think it's called The Barbecue bible.  Michael has gotten into grilling, and bought a smoker.  He was excited to get the book and is looking forward to smoking.  I guess all those years of eating the things his father did on the firepit and smoked in our smoke chamber made an impression on him.

We have that cookbook, too, Lore. I saw it on sale at a big Barnes & Noble years ago and brought it for Brian. I think the book he used most when he started was one by Jim Tarantino, called "Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes: 400 Recipes for Poultry, Meat, Seafood, and Vegetables." He laughs when he looks through it because he can easily tell recipes he's used before, as the pages are usually dirty due to spills while he put the recipes together!

I used to go on an international cooking "echo" online before the Internet came into play. Someone wanted to know how to use a Weber Grill like a smoker. Jim Tarantino's cookbook had a whole section on that so I typed it out verbatim, and put a credit at the end, something I usually always do when I share someone else's recipe. I also went on and on about his book of rubs and recipes and said that anyone who grilled or smoked a lot should definitely have that book in his collection.

I just about died, as I got a private mail from Jim Tarentino himself thanking me profusely for recommending his book! When Brian came home, I told him and he said, "Who the hell is Jim Tarentino?" When I told him it was the guy who wrote that cookbook he loved, he just about died. He had no interest in a computer at the time and expressed no interest in anything I did on there but boy, he was sure impressed by that.

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

Lore, here's another recipe you can give your son. It's one of our favorite dishes made on the smoker. We've never once served these that people didn't rave about them, as the smoked wood flavor really adds something special to the beans. We got this recipe out of a water smoker cookbook my mom gave Brian for Christmas many years ago; the cookbook wasn't so hot but the smoked baked beans we swear by!

Best Ever Baked Beans
Serves 8 to 10.

4 to 5 lbs. canned pork and beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
2 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (HAS to be the yellow type)
1/2 cup molasses (not Blackstrap)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 to 4 drops Tabasco
1/2 cup barbecue sauce - bottled or homemade
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Strips bacon - uncooked and cut in half

Combine all ingredients, except bacon, in large ovenproof container. Lay bacon strips on top. Place on smoker grid and smoke for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.

Note: When we use 5 lbs. of canned beans, we usually beef up the other ingredients a bit. Four pounds of beans is the perfect amount of beans when using the recipe exactly as written.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Jake is here for supper. Fried chicken with zucchini/summer squash/onion sauté. I also made a few chicken 'fingers' in case a leg & thigh isn't enough for him.

That's one smart kid to make full use of grandma while she's there! I remember you made us laugh when you said he really knew his frozen dinners.

He's going to go through a thigh and a leg with no problem, Beth. Wow, fried chicken -- you are a really good grandma to go to all that trouble.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Our dinner tonight was meatloaf.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 20180734

Such a pretty meatloaf that it earned a photo replay!  Brian would flip out if I pulled that out of the oven. The man loves his meatloaf and loves bacon on top of it! Looks yummy and I'm not even a big meatloaf fan either.

Me? I'd pig out on those mashed potatoes and green beans! And then I'd have a cold meatloaf sandwich on toast with sliced onion and mayo tomorrow.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Wish me luck.....gonna try to cook salmon for Dane and Jake on the little bitty charcoal grill tonight....no gas grill here.

Mmm! Brian once grilled four steaks for us when we were visiting his parents in Florida and had to make them one at a time on a small Hibachi! So I know you'll have no problems, B.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saw this online the other day when looking at types of Asian noodles on SeriousEats.com. It sounded delicious to me and I plan on trying it soon. I have a jar of simple syrup in the fridge that was flavored with mint when I was making mint juleps not so long ago, so it will be perfect to use in an Old Cuban! And Brian just picked up a couple bottles of Prosecco for me so I'll top be topping my Old Cuban with Prosecco.

The image with the recipe showed it served straight up in a coupe glass. I might double the ingredients and then after shaking it, strain it into a stemless wine glass with a jumbo cube of ice (I have a couple of silicone ice trays that each make four huge square cubes; one big cube melts a lot slower than regular ice cubes, hence your drink doesn't get watered down as fast and it stays cold longer, too.

Old Cuban
Makes 1 cocktail. Recipe from SeriousEats.com.
Think of the Old Cuban as what a mojito wants to be when it grows up.

6 mint leaves
1 oz. simple syrup (or less, to taste)
3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice
1-1/2 ounces Bacardi 8 (or any medium-bodied gold rum)
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 oz. chilled sparkling wine

1. In a cocktail shaker, place the mint leaves, simple syrup, and fresh-squeezed lime juice.
2. Gently bruise the mint leaves with a wooden muddler or the end of a wooden spoon. Add 1-1/2 ounces rum and 2 dashes Angostura bitters.
3. Fill shaker with ice and shake well for 10 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass (you may wish to use a tea strainer to remove the tiny flecks of mint).
4. Top with 2 ounces chilled sparkling wine. Garnish with mint leaf.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Threw some ribs on the smoker today. Last night was a new recipe called Tuscan chicken. It was good and a keeper. It is at least 100 today. This heat can get old but around 4PM we get a breeze and it feels much like Hawaii. Very nice. Yesterday was a hoot. Joe spent the day installing garage door insulation. He finished about 3. He got into the pool with a beer and his hat and sat on a ledge. Two more beers and he was still sitting on the shelf with beer in hand with his chin on his chest, sound asleep. Eventually the beer floated away. Katie was concerned he might drown but I figured if he toppled over in the water he would wake up fast enough. I should have taken a picture: the epitomy of retirement. He woke up, came in for dinner, ate, parked himself on the couch to watch the Velocity channel and promptly fell asleep again snoring to beat all.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad to hear things are settling down to a "new normal" Bugster! I bet it feels great to cook real meals again.

The greatest plans can go by the wayside with a little rain shower......just like Florida, as soon as I wanted to light the charcoal it started to rain....so Plan B was salmon filets - HUGE SALMON FILETS - and my little bit of cod in a skillet on the stove. Seasoned with a bit of s&p and into the hot skillet with evoo. According to those 'in the know' (Dane & Jake), it was perfectly cooked. The kid ate at least 1 - 1/4 lb. of the stuff. He got the larger filet and Dane gave him about 1/4 of his. Jake finally said he was full! He had a baked white potato and Dane and I split a sweet potato. I steamed broccoli in the microwave.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Made the pea soup.... ate the pea soup. Four Bowls.

DD was over to clean, ( she scrubs and washes the floors and cleans in the nooks and crannies. ) She made Zucchini Cake with cream cheese icing.

273July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 11 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Day and month not over yet, but I started the August thread.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum