Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?"

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Empty August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Another New Month, and usually hot in August, it will create new things for us to cook.....
Today, Tina's cousin will be here to stay over for the Uncles Memorial services, and Tina wants to make something special for him.
Luba ( Uncles Caregiver ) made pierogi, so that's good for starters.

I will probably send DD to get some sirloin steaks at the butcher shoppe in Chester. I could go for a bite of good steak. Maybe corn on the cobb too. August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 2760260870

bethk and cookingirl like this post

JanaAZ

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Another New Month, and usually hot in August, it will create new things for us to cook.....
Today, Tina's cousin will be here to stay over for the Uncles Memorial services, and Tina wants to make something special for him.
Luba ( Uncles Caregiver ) made pierogi, so that's good for starters.

I will probably send DD to get some sirloin steaks at the butcher shoppe in Chester. I could go for a bite of good steak. Maybe corn on the cobb too. August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 2760260870

I still have Pierogi in the freezer from Pierogi day. I’ve been thinking of having Pierogi sauerkraut and sausage. Now you’ve definitely given me a taste for it

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking planned here for the near future ~ HE is having gut problems again.....

((  sigh  ))

But I will be making myself the Mediterranean Salad for myself.  I have everything I need and it is so good and lasts in the refrigerator for a few days.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_01_19

This 'lunch size' Chicken Salad was super easy.....just used the grilled chicken breast from Sunday. Just shredded it into bite size pieces on top of the salad.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

So now my cooking is done for the week......

I got the chicken bones & skin boiled/simmered for 3 hours to get some delicious bone broth. I have enough dark meat that I can add for soup ~ I'll probably make some fresh egg noodles when the time comes to eat it.

HE came out to the kitchen as I was straining the stock through a fine mesh strainer to ask to have a couple cups saved in the refrigerator for him.

I told him, unfortunately, it was all going to be needed for a meal........

Boy, I didn't think HE could give me a look like that!

Hahahahahaha!

(( yes, there will be a couple pint jars left in the refrigerator just for HIM ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had the second half of the Mediterranean Chicken Salad for my lunch today.

I had to come up with an idea for my supper. HE had some chicken bone broth with a bit of the last of the chicken breast for his lunch. HE plans to have his eggs for supper. I sure wish he could get his gut issues resolved.

I looked in the refrigerator and saw two ears of sweet corn I bought before HE said he would only be eating eggs....so I guess they're both MINE! I do have to admit ~ Florida DOES have sweet corn as good as what we always grew in Ohio. I just wish they could come up with a tomato that tasted like a real tomato. It looks like a tomato but it sure doesn't even come close to anything I grew up eating. I can remember a lot of 'vegetable' suppers ~ meat was scarce at our farm table but we always had plenty of vegetables. Sweet corn, sliced tomatoes, cucumber/onion salad, Swiss chard and green beans made the meal. And I don't think any of us kids complained. We always had more than enough to fill us up.

So, tonight I'm going to have a broiled hot dog and sweet corn.

It should be just fine ~ although I'm really tempted to steam some of those itty bitty potatoes and smash them & fry them up in some bacon fat with a few slices of onion.....but, no, they will hold for another meal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

When we moved here 10 years ago we didn't have much in the way of color in our courtyard. Dane likes to grow things so he was in charge of buying small, inexpensive blooming plants and adding to our flower collection.

One time we went to a nursery nearby and I saw the most beautiful hanging basket of Portulacha ~ Moss Rose ~ I had ever seen. The blooms were HUGE, bi-color pink/white. BUT, they didn't have any small inexpensive pots that he could baby along and grow into beautiful large speciman plants. I remember debating if we really wanted to spend $15 on just ONE plant. It just seemed such a big investment in an annual flower plant. But, since I was SO taken with the beauty of it we bit the bullet and got one.

Well, many years later, we have many hanging pots and standing pots of that original beauty. It's still one of my favorites.

We were told we couldn't propagate from the plant because it's a nursery hybrid. HAH! They didn't know who they were speaking to!!! Hahahahahaha

One of my favorite hanging baskets this year has the original bi-color pink & white flower as well as a plain white flower and a plain hot pink flower.....all growing together in one pot.

I think we got our money's worth from that investment!

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_02_16

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_02_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

My corn was as good as I hoped it would be ~ now I'm wondering why I didn't cook both ears.......

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_02_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I made chicken cordon bleu, crinkle cut potatoes and broccoli. Love that little tool for cutting those crinkle cut spuds!"

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_02_20

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. The biggest and meatiest Neff rib I’ve ever had. Made in my oven accompanied by some fingerling potato chunks and some corn on the cob. Yumm!"

(edit from beth ~ I think she means BEEF rib......but I could be wrong)

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_03_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE is still eating eggs ~ whatever agrees with his stomach......

I thawed a burger patty and broiled it in the toaster oven. I had cooked some green beans so I was able to just reheat those and added some Penzey seasoning. The best thing was the itty bitty baby potatoes ~ I just steamed them in the microwave for 4 minutes and let them cool down a bit before smushing them and then browning in some oil & butter and added some sauteed onions I had cooked to go on my burger patty. They are so very tasty!

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_03_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made chicken soup with thigh's and her favorite .... Gizzards.
Nope!.... I had N o n e of them ! ! I had baby ravioli with mine.
Dessert was lemon cake from the market. YuuuucK! No taste.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew HE was planning to make himself eggs again.....

So, this morning I pulled just one piece of pork shoulder steak out of the freezer. This is a perfect example of why I wrap the pieces individually.....easy to grab a one-person meal.

I seasoned the thawed pork, put it between some plastic to pound a bit to tenderize and finally dusted it with a bit of flour for when I seared it. I used 1/2 t. of Chicken Better-Than-Boullion in 1/2 c. of hot water as my braising liquid. It turned out pretty tasty.

Microwaved/toaster oven baked a sweet potato and re-heated some more of the beans I cooked the other day.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_04_16

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Definitely not a culinary delight, gourmet attempted or anything like that. I work at my thrift shop volunteer job Friday afternoon, and there’s a lovely group has started a tapas afternoon get-together. So, when I come from volunteering I just have about a half hour to join that group for a drink and a bit of cheese. So, nothing Fancy for dinner but a sort of pizza on a piece of naan. I love our tapas afternoons!"

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_04_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made some onions, peppers, and sausage for supper. Laganaga cheese and pork finger sized perfect for taste and texture. I also had a corn on the cobb. NO PIC! LOL
The eggplant is for tomorrow to bread and fry to munch on. the plum tomatoes are from Tinas porch pots.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Img_2410
August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Img_2411

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had everything needed to make another quart of the Mediterranean Salad.

Tonight I'm going to switch it from chicken to shrimp......Woo Hoo! Big Change!!! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftovers what ever we find. Tina breaded and fried the eggplant, and that we just nibble on it till it's gone..... I had bacon and scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfast. A side of toast buttered.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

You've seen it many times before......but switched out the chicken for shrimp.

I also made a run to Fresh Market for a loaf of their olive bread ~ toasted it to have with my salad.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_05_17

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Two pieces of chicken thigh; fingerling potatoes; and an heirloom tomato with feta and parsley. Little s/p and oil. Afternoon shift at thrift, so I’m not ambitious in cooking."

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_05_18

JanaAZ

With me being severely allergic to seafood he doesn’t get it at home very often but our store had some beautiful scallops, so I prepared the scallops and made a beautiful sauce. He had to taste the sauce to make sure it was okay since it had scallop goober in it he’s really enjoying it. And I had a cheese sandwich lol

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Img_8610

NormM

NormM

I have been making stuff all week for Charlies birthday party last night I could not get everything to post but we had ribs, brisket, beef bulgogi, coleslaw, potato salad, fruit salad, deviled eggs, BBQ beans and a lemon pudding cake.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Img_1020
August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" Img_1021

Last edited by NormM on Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tell Charlie we all say, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY !"

ok, so we're a day late but we're all oldsters........

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're going out tonight with Jim and another neighbor, Fran, who is headed back to Pittsburgh to finish out the summer.

I decided I needed to use up some miscellaneous vegetables or they would end up getting tossed ~ most purchased before HE said he was having eggs.....and eggs.....and more eggs........

So, I ended up making some potato corn chowder ~ a little warm for a soup lunch but it was pretty tasty. I really do like the flavor of the fresh, 'cut-off-the-cob' corn as opposed to frozen or canned. It makes a huge difference in taste.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_06_20

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:You've seen it many times before......but switched out the chicken for shrimp.

I also made a run to Fresh Market for a loaf of their olive bread ~ toasted it to have with my salad.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 08_05_17

WOW ....... "mmmm!"  August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 940422454

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mommy TGina went to the market early AM and picked up an eye round roast, and it's in the grill on the unlighted burner / side at 350 F +-/ She made mashed taters too. Gravy will be made when the pot fond is scraped and added as the flavoring.
Carn ahn daa cobb for a veggie. LOL LOL .... as Ed Norton on the honeymooners would say...

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have been making stuff all week for Charlies birthday party last night  I could not get everything to post but we had ribs, brisket, beef bulgogi, coleslaw, potato salad, fruit salad, deviled eggs, BBQ beans and a lemon pudding cake.

August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 2790317363

"Happy Birthday to Charlie"...... from Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Tina
from New Jersey.... August Heat for 2023... "What's to eat?" 863604796
God Bless, and enjoy Dad's cooking.

bethk and NormM like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum