Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

+3
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

176July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:That Dijon sauce looks wonderful!

Jimmy, is that a commercial waffle iron?

Finally got the dishwasher fixed but somehow the electrical outlet for the garbage disposal doesn't work. Have to have an electrician out tomorrow.

We are also having a heat wave. it was 102 today and it will get hotter tomorrow and will peak on Wednesday.

Joe and Katie went out for a big lunch with her brother who was in town for a class reunion and to pick up a stainless bass he bought. He can play the bass along with the piano. Both Katie and Stan are very musically inclined.

Yesterday I stripped down the base to an old butcher block table and repainted it white for the kitchen. Prep space is limited and we need it. Joe doesn't like the color of the maple top and wants it lighter. I don't know how he can do that. Maple is what it is. I am fine with it.

Next job I have to do is sand the bath cabinets. The people before us were not good painters and they were lazy. The outside is painted with white chalk paint and the inside is brown. They couldn't be bothered to paint it. Got to do the whole job over again.

Yes, it's a commercial Toastmaster. I was on a demo job at a big cafeteria in an office complex, and it was in the dumpster.
I cleaned it up, and it works perfectly.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You look like you got your work cut out at the new house. You poor thing! No Don't get run down Deb. Take care of yourself ..... take a rest now and then.

177July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Finally got the dishwasher fixed but somehow the electrical outlet for the garbage disposal doesn't work. Have to have an electrician out tomorrow.

We are also having a heat wave. it was 102 today and it will get hotter tomorrow and will peak on Wednesday.

Joe and Katie went out for a big lunch with her brother who was in town for a class reunion and to pick up a stainless bass he bought. He can play the bass along with the piano. Both Katie and Stan are very musically inclined.

Yesterday I stripped down the base to an old butcher block table and repainted it white for the kitchen. Prep space is limited and we need it. Joe doesn't like the color of the maple top and wants it lighter. I don't know how he can do that. Maple is what it is. I am fine with it.

Next job I have to do is sand the bath cabinets. The people before us were not good painters and they were lazy. The outside is painted with white chalk paint and the inside is brown. They couldn't be bothered to paint it. Got to do the whole job over again.

Yes, it's a commercial Toastmaster. I was on a demo  job at a big cafeteria in an office complex, and it was in the dumpster.

You look like you got your work cut out at the new house. You poor thing! No Don't get run down Deb. Take care of yourself ..... take a rest now and then.

Yes, this move has taken it out of me. I need to see a doctor. My swollen foot tells me something is wrong.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Yes, it's a commercial Toastmaster. I was on a demo  job at a big cafeteria in an office complex, and it was in the dumpster.

Yes, this move has taken it out of me. I need to see a doctor. My swollen foot tells me something is wrong.

Yeah! You are retaining water in the foot, or you injured it.??
The dr. gave me Symbicort inhaler for the lungs because I was full of fluid. My right calf, ankle and foot was swollen. Two days on the inhaler and my right ankle and foot went down to almost normal size.
The left ankle and foot are ok, but will swell a little if I am on my legs too long. I have begun taking Apple Cider Vinegar capsules, and it seems that my leg cramps and sore legs, are not as achey.

Feel Better Debbie..... Elevate your leg / foot.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I guess BLT (w) Cheese on toast. .....o r ...... Ham Cheese & Tomato on toast!.. I am not hungry today! Tina bought more corn too. "Please, don't corn me to death!"Enough already!" I'm not a sheep!"

Bugster2

Bugster2

A friend of ours says that you only rent corn.

Went to the urgent care for a UTI and found out I need to see the doctor. Liver and kidney showed problems. I don't have a new primary care doctor and can't get one until Covered Cal updates its files and I get notified so I have to drive 1 1/2 hours back to my old doctor only she won't be back in town for another 2 weeks so I will see her associate and prolly start out with blood work and see what it shows. My ins co told me to go to a doctor and PAY to have tests done. Right. Why do I have insurance? HMO's stand for hand the money over. What is really infuriating is that because we moved our premium is going up by $110. Figure that one out.
Tonight is burgers again cause I am too tired to shop and make a menu. That's ok, I could eat burgers every day.

Niagara Visitor

Sorry to hear about that.......................... I can go to any walk-in clinic in Canada and be looked after without any cost....................... But, so many people in the US still think that Universal Health care is no good.  And, I don't pay any premiums.  

I just finished making some stuffed peppers again for my son and DIL.  And two for myself.  Yumm!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was another 'by request ' meals.....Chicken Parmigiana with fettuccine noodles. And wouldn't you know I got the bakery rolls too dark because I was using the broiler? I cut and scraped off the black and we ate them anyway.

183July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The HVAC guys came yesterday and got started on replacing our furnace and a/c. Dane wanted a day to install some drywall that hasn't been next to the inside unit for the last 20 years......so we don't have any a/c tonight....all day, actually. The ceiling fans are all on high, blowing hot air around. It's only 84 but I hate the humidity in Ohio. I swear, it's not this hot at home when the thermometer reads 95! Every hour or so I pull the car out of the garage and just sit with the a/c blowing on my face and wrists.....I read somewhere that's supposed to cool you down faster. IT'S A LIE! I'm still sweating and I'm really cranky. But I'll bet they're done by noon tomorrow and then I'll be good again.

Niagara Visitor

We get the super high humidity in southern Ontario too.  I can understand the need for a siesta in hot countries.  My AC quit in June, I was lucky that the heating/cooling maintenance company happened to be in the building, and it was replaced the next day!  We have heat pumps here, and there are a few units available all the time. 

I'm taking my sister to another medical appointment today, so it will be a lunch out (again)

185July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is supposed to peg out at 110 today. At least there is no humidity. When I was in Mexico once it was 85 with high humidity and I thought I was going to die. In fact I wish I had because I got a case of Tourista which ruined the rest of the trip. LOL. Nothing worse than being on a rolling ship when you are sick.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The HVAC guys had the house cooled down by noon. I swear, there must be twice as many hamsters running the fan! It's blowin way stronger than it ever did before. And all that air blowing has deposited "Huckleberry " hair on everything....I first noticed it on the window sill and now I see it everywhere. I love that hound but I'm not sorry to see his hair gone. We've cleaned but it'll take a while for the vents to get blown out. I'm NOT paying for a vent cleaning. If someone with dander allergies moves in they can pay to have it done.

We've been painting here and there, all the stuff that got neglected in our absence. We agreed no one should pay good money for our dirt. It's bad enough they get a kitchen that's a "gut job", but there's no sense in us remodeling to our tastes and then not selling because it's 'wrong'. If they see it now they can envision their dream.........that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

No cooking tonight. I'm going out with our old 'Mother's Club' group.....probably for the last time if we sell this place in a month or so.

NormM

NormM

Our dinner tonight was kielbasa, crusty bread, egg noodles and a fruit salad.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 20180729
July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 20180728

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

188July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Somehow, Norm, you made the meal look "healthy ".

189July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 pm

NormM

NormM

Razz

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

190July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pork Burgers tonight. Ground Pork / onions pureed, and bread cubes.
patties ....floured...and fried till golden brown.

Apple sauce on the side.  Mashed potatoes with volcanic eruptions of melted butter.

Corn on the cob.....    

Apple pie for dessert. Love those little apple pies baked in little tins; and sold in the Walmart.

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Img_1028

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:The  HVAC guys had the house cooled down by noon.  I swear, there must be twice as many hamsters running the fan!  It's blowin way stronger than it ever did before.  And all that air blowing has deposited "Huckleberry " hair on everything....I first noticed it on the window sill and now I see it everywhere.  I love that hound but I'm not sorry to see his hair gone. We've cleaned but it'll take a while for the vents to get blown out. I'm NOT paying for a vent cleaning. If someone with dander allergies moves in they can pay to have it done.

We've been painting  here and there, all the stuff that got neglected in our absence. We agreed no one should pay good money for our dirt. It's bad enough they get a kitchen that's a "gut job", but there's no sense in us remodeling to our tastes and then not selling because it's 'wrong'. If they see it now they can envision their dream.........that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

No cooking tonight. I'm going out with our old 'Mother's Club' group.....probably for the last time if we sell this place in a month or so.

That is what we did - nothing except a new roof. We figured whoever bought the house would want to do it to their taste. I was right. The girl who bought it is putting $100,000 into the backyard, tearing out the tub and putting a shower in its' place, tearing out the kitchen, moving a wall yadda yadda yadda. She might not have bought the house if it was already remodeled.

192July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, the HVAC system is well over 20+ years. Robin had a couple problems last winter with no heat so it was time to replace everything. I wouldn't have felt right trying to sell this place, knowing the new owners would probably be forced to spend $6k when I'm sure they'd much rather spend their money remodeling the kitchen.  It's "due" but we aren't going to the trouble and expense when my taste wouldn't be someone else's. Let them make it what they like.

Smart choice, Beth, plus a good selling point as a buyer would be thrilled to know it's a brand new system. I was personally glad to hear it's well over 20 years old, too, as maybe we still have a while to go before one of ours kicks out. Knowing how things happen for us, the two units will probably need replacing at the same time.

Hope it sells quickly, Beth! It's a cute house, with that nifty building behind it and so much property around it -- can't imagine it's going to take long to sell.

193July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:DD made shark cookies for shark week.....

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 01910

Adorable, Jimmy!

194July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 8 Empty Re: July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I went to my son's house for dinner.  He's experimenting with a smoker that he bought.  I guess the memories of sitting by a smoking firepit are engrained in him.  He did chicken, sausages and ribs.  Ribs were a little dry but tasty.  I made potato salad to go with the meats.

There's NOTHING as good as smoked meat, IMHO.  What type did he get, Lore? We have two of the bigger Weber water smokers -- I think they're easier to use than the offset smokers, but Norm sure is a master at that type!  

Here's one of my absolute FAVORITE smoker recipes you can give him. And though it doesn't involve meat, if the red bell peppers aren't on sale, they'll end up costing the same as meat! We've been making this soup about 25 years. The original recipe used whole bone-in chicken breasts poached in water to make the chicken stock, and then used the breast meat chopped up in the soup. I made it again using "real" chicken broth in it and it's a rich soup so I decided to serve it without pieces of chicken in it. It's fine with purchased chicken broth too, as long as you use the reduced sodium type.

Smoked Red Bell Pepper Soup
Recipe by me, adapted from Bon Appetit.

3 lbs. red bell peppers (about 9 large)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
3 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
1 bay leaf
6 cups homemade rich chicken stock, heated
2 cups whipping cream or heavy cream
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Croutons (for garnish) (I usually make my own butter croutons from French
bread)

1. Prepare smoker and soak 4 hickory blocks for one hour.  Once a whole chimney of coals are ready and smoker is hot, arrange red bell peppers on two grills, leaving a bit of space between each pepper.  Add hickory to coals and smoke peppers for approximately 2 hours, or until skin is very puckered and peppers collapse a bit, which sometimes takes 2.5 hours.
2. Put peppers in freezer bag to sweat and cool them.  (Peppers can be held overnight in refrigerator prior to peeling.)  Remove peel, core, seeds and ribs inside each pepper.  Chop peppers fine, reserving any juice that accumulates while chopping.  
3. Melt butter in heavy large soup pot over medium heat.  Add celery and onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding crushed thyme.  Add chopped peppers with any reserved liquid and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Add heated chicken stock, fresh thyme sprigs if using, and bay leaf and simmer for 1 hour to reduce, stirring occasionally.  
4. Remove bay leaf and fresh thyme sprigs (if used) from soup.  Puree soup in blender in several batches (or use immersion blender in soup pot). We like it completely smooth so we usually use the blender and do it in batches. 5. 5. Return pureed soup to soup pot, and add whipping cream, stirring until well blended.  Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure soup is not sticking to bottom of pot.  (If sticking, reduce heat slightly and stir more often.)
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Ladle into warm soup bowls and sprinkle with croutons.

These smoked red bell peppers are super to keep in the fridge too for use in other dishes and for sandwiches. They're perfect to use on sandwiches in lieu of tomatoes, especially in winter when tomatoes are tasteless. A turkey sandwich with a big piece of smoked red bell pepper on it is divine!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Sauce Creme Dijon
Makes 2 cups.  Recipe from Grey Poupon jar.

I made that sauce yesterday to take to my son's house.  He was playing with his new smoker.  We had sausages, chicken and ribs.............. sauce was great with all of them.

Glad you liked it, Lore!  I probably snagged that recipe about 30 years from the back of a Grey Poupon jar. It has certainly served us well. If you have leftover sauce, you can thin it with a bit of chicken broth and then add a bit more cream and Dijon mustard to it if needed, as it gets a little thick when refrigerated.

In the old days when we entertained a lot, I NEVER once served that sauce at a dinner party where someone didn't ask me for the recipe. Brian used to make me laugh when we were setting the table by asking me if I'd made Xerox copies of the mustard sauce recipe to hand out. Our favorite use of it is still with a pork tenderloin stuffed with a spicy sausage stuffing that I make. Rich but delicious!

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Sauce Creme Dijon
Makes 2 cups.  Recipe from Grey Poupon jar.

I made that sauce yesterday to take to my son's house.  He was playing with his new smoker.  We had sausages, chicken and ribs.............. sauce was great with all of them.

Glad you liked it, Lore!  I probably snagged that recipe about 30 years from the back of a Grey Poupon jar. It has certainly served us well.  If you have leftover sauce, you can thin it with a bit of chicken broth and then add a bit more cream and Dijon mustard to it if needed, as it gets a little thick when refrigerated.

In the old days when we entertained a lot, I NEVER once served that sauce at a dinner party where someone didn't ask me for the recipe. Brian used to make me laugh when we were setting the table by asking me if I'd made Xerox copies of the mustard sauce recipe to hand out. Our favorite use of it is still with a pork tenderloin stuffed with a spicy sausage stuffing that I make. Rich but delicious!
I am not fond of mustard, but in my quest of learning to like  "new" things, I wanted to make this sauce.  It's a keeper.  Next on my agenda is learning to appreciate beets.  LOL  

I don't know the kind of smoker he bought, there are 5 levels of racks for smoking.  His ribs were a little dry.  He needs to experiment more.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Still unpacking. I can't see the end yet. I actually grilled a steak one night and grilled burgers on another night. Tonight was baloney sandwiches. Joe has lost 10 lbs in the move and I have lost 5 lbs which I can't afford to lose. I don't think Katie has lost anything 'cause she hasn't done much. She brought in some boxes and took them up and brought in some boxes and just left them at the foot of the stairs. They have been there for 2 weeks so Joe just moved them back in the garage. That is probably where they will stay never to be looked at again.

You and Joe sure have the patience of Job where it comes to Katie. I've got to ask how it's working out with her pets and the pee pads?  I sure hope those animals aren't peeing all over your new house. I'll bet in this heat y'all are experiencing that you are enjoying the pool -- must be nice for you especially since you didn't usually go to the beach with the others.

We had an inground pool for almost 17 years when we rented and we used the pool more than any others who lived there (we never lived in an apartment complex, just homes cut up into one or more  apartments with pools in the backyards). We thought about putting one in when we bought this house but the yard is so small and even a small pool would've still set us back about $30k, as it would've had to be hand dug since there's no access to get equipment into our yard on either side or the back of our property. And even a small pool would've kicked up our homeowner's insurance quite a bit.

Brian's one concession when we bought this house was a very small back yard. He bristled when my mom, who had a big front yard and a huge back yard told him he'd be glad one day that he didn't have to get out there in the heat and mow it. We hadn't lived here 5 years when he laughed and told her she was right. We're both glad now that we don't have a pool to take care of as well, though he'd become a master at taking care of the ones we shared for years. The man loves a clean pool.  Others used to tease Brian because if a single leaf even blew in the pool, they used to say they knew it'd only be in there for a minute before Brian would head into the pool with his scooper net to get it out!

With the heat we're having, I truly envy your pool, Debbie! I can no longer swim because of the I.V. in my arm but I could sit in the end of the pool with my legs in as long as I had some shade over me. I'm not supposed to stay in the sun too long with this IV medication, and the medication itself, which is in a cassette attached to a computer pump (about the combined size of an old VCR tape) isn't supposed to be exposed to sun either or get too hot. But I could sit under a tilted umbrella for a while with my pump wrapped in a towel with a frozen blue freezer "thingie" put in between with folds of the towel to keep that medication at a lower temp. I'm sure I could figure out some way to get myself partially in that pool even if it was only for a short while!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Sorry to hear about that.......................... I can go to any walk-in clinic in Canada and be looked after without any cost....................... But, so many people in the US still think that Universal Health care is no good.  And, I don't pay any premiums.

I happen to think it's wonderful, Lore. It may not be perfect but it's better than what people have available here due to cost. Health insurance is certainly not a luxury. When people here say they don't want to pay for "some people" to have coverage, they don't realize we all pay for the uninsured's medical care in the long run. If people have medical insurance, they don't have to resort to an emergency room for minor care, something you have to do if you have no money or coverage. And every single soul deserves medical care when they need it. The price of medication in this country is outrageous while the pharmaceutical companies all show record profits and our government provides them with millions of dollars to research and develop new drugs. The drug companies in turn spend millions of dollars advertising different drugs on television -- I think they can surely pay for their own research and development. And drugs manufactured in the U.S. are sold to other countries at a lower price than they're sold for here -- sad but true. Off my soapbox now!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Every hour or so I pull the car out of the garage and just sit with the a/c blowing on my face and wrists.....I read somewhere that's supposed to cool you down faster.  IT'S A LIE!  I'm still sweating and I'm really cranky.

Brian wanted me to do that after Katrina when we were still here in N.O. He said it was wonderful when he got in the car and headed down the street a half mile so he could get ice from a tugboat company's huge ice machine. (This only worked for a day after the storm because a huge oceangoing ship crashed up onto the levee and took out some of the company's facilities, including their huge generator.) I refused to do it simply because I knew it would make the heat in the house (and on the balcony which was in the shade) feel even worse than it had before. But boy, being without power for 9 days after Hurricane Isaac was the reason we got the whole house generator -- NEVER again were we going to go through that.

Plus, I've never evacuated when a storm was coming. My parents never did it (probably due to lack of funds, especially with three kids and their pets) and we don't do it either. Unless you leave the second a storm moves into the Gulf (impossible when you're working as an employer would cut you loose in a heartbeat), you end up in a more than six-hour calvacade of cars -- and that's just how long it takes to get as far away as Baton Rouge, which is 90 miles away! And that's using contraflow, too. I'd rather stay home and sweat than be in a car in that kind of traffic with Brian -- ANY TIME!!!! And now we'll have electricity AND cable if a storm comes (the cable will probably go out right away now that we have a generator). But we'll have music and wi-fi! I know Brian doesn't wish a storm would come our way but I know he'll be like a little kid if another one heads our way, which is of course inevitable.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm taking my sister to another medical appointment today, so it will be a lunch out (again)

How's your sister doing, Lore? I know how worried you are about her.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum