Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 14]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:THe first time I visited my daughter and son-in-law in Huntington Beach in CA, their house was covered is a beautiful(to me) vine.  When I went back the next year, vine was gone, the stucco had to be repaired and re-painted because of the damage that the vine had done through the years.  Apparently they had to have someone come a couple of times a year just to control it around all the windows and doors.  With three floors of house, it was expensive, and the "critters" that called all the vines home were also not welcome.

It was not ivy, but something with larger leaves........................ And, since this is a cooking thread.......... fresh Lake Erie perch for me tonight.  First of the season from fishing son.  Steamed local asparagus, also first of the season, tonight.  YUMM!

Mmm, sounds delish. How're you cooking your fish, Lore?

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Out of the freezer was some beef stewing cubes. Tina was doing chores for her uncle, so I reduced the size of the cubes, added onions; celery, and carrots, and simmered all afternoon. We had that over wide egg noodles.
Tina thickened it down with flour and oil.
Dessert, was a Drake's Ring Ding.

Don't know what a Ring Ding is but your dinner over egg noodles sounded good, Jimmy.

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I'm due for another one for bedtime snack, and a coffee!
I am one of those that can drink a couple cups of coffee, and still conk out and fall asleep easily....

Me, too, Jimmy. Coffee never keeps me awake, even when I WISH it would. I drink iced coffee all day and all the way up to bedtime, in lieu of another beverage. We make a big pot in the morning and have no more than 2 cups each of hot coffee in the morning -- the rest goes into two quart jars of cold coffee I keep in the fridge. I use evaporated milk, Splenda and some hazelnut syrup in my iced coffee -- delicious!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby wrote:How big was the walnut tree and how tall were the trees needing trimming, Jimmy? I'm just trying to reconcile the price with what they would charge down here for removing and trimming.

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The walnut is with a 16 inch girth, and is 30 feet tall.
The three back yard trees are maples with 14 inch girth, and 40 feet high. They will be topped and under trimmed.
Then there is a maple in the front with a 20 inch girth, that has an offshoot branch at 14 feet that has a 7 inch diameter, and spur out about 16 feet over the roof. It has a squirrel nest at the knot that has a fissure that is a threat of cracking, and sending the branch over my porch, and would rip down my rail gutters. and possibly damaging the porch and poking into the storm door. I call that branch, The mail carrier killer!

Then, there is a dead Horse chestnut  12 feet 4" girth, and an apple tree 3" girth, 10'feet high.
Then there is a Mulberry tree that fell in a storm about 5 years ago, and there is a trunk 12 to 6 inches x 6 feet just laying on the ground.
This is one of those...."Don't worry dad, no problem!" "I'll stop by and cut it up yadda yadda yadda!"  N   O   T   !! No Never Happened! And all that had to be done, was roll the logs down hill into the wooded area on top of the leaf heap to rot into loam.

All brush and logs will be removed!

That sounds like a pretty good price for all you're getting done, Jimmy. Yeah, lots of good intentions never seem to get out of the intention stage. But you watch, once the man comes and does all the work, you'll hear, "Dad!  I TOLD you I would do it for you!"

tongue  tongue  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  silent  silent

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had some kind of invasive beetle that killed all of our trees this past year. All we have are stumps.We did have a palm we cut down because it was too close to the house and was making the concrete buckle. The pine was so big and it leaned on the edge of a slope so we had it cut down because we were afraid it would crash into the neighbors yard. It actually was on the border between both homes and he should have paid for half the removal but he wouldn't.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here for the last couple days.....

Check out "The Old Homestead" to see what we've been up to.

(I'm exhausted ~ off to bed for me.....)

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:THe first time I visited my daughter and son-in-law in Huntington Beach in CA, their house was covered is a beautiful(to me) vine.  When I went back the next year, vine was gone, the stucco had to be repaired and re-painted because of the damage that the vine had done through the years.  Apparently they had to have someone come a couple of times a year just to control it around all the windows and doors.  With three floors of house, it was expensive, and the "critters" that called all the vines home were also not welcome.

It was not ivy, but something with larger leaves........................ And, since this is a cooking thread.......... fresh Lake Erie perch for me tonight.  First of the season from fishing son.  Steamed local asparagus, also first of the season, tonight.  YUMM!

Mmm, sounds delish. How're you cooking your fish, Lore?

This time I breaded and fried it in a frying pan.  Delish.

232May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 pm

NormM

NormM

I spent the day with the smoker and a small piece of a brisket I got last week.  It took 10 hours but it was so worth it.May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 20180515

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 20180517

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks mighty tasty Norm.

IDK.... I had fried Bucatini in oil and butter. I slobbered it down.
2 Ring Dings for dessert!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Today has been crazy. Our house was listed on the MLS and we have had 7 showings even before the realtor and public open house. I hope (cross your fingers) that it sells fast because another house popped up for sale in Temecula that we would love to have. Can't do anything yet till we have an offer and accepted it. Dinner tonight will be dogs with a stiff drink for Joe and Katie. Me? I think I will just crash on the couch. My nerves are shot.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Out of the freezer was some beef stewing cubes. Tina was doing chores for her uncle, so I reduced the size of the cubes, added onions; celery, and carrots, and simmered all afternoon. We had that over wide egg noodles.
Tina thickened it down with flour and oil.
Dessert, was a Drake's Ring Ding.
https://drakescake.com/www

Don't know what a Ring Ding is but your dinner over egg noodles sounded good, Jimmy.

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I'm due for another one for bedtime snack, and a coffee!
I am one of those that can drink a couple cups of coffee, and still conk out and fall asleep easily....

Me, too, Jimmy. Coffee never keeps me awake, even when I WISH it would. I drink iced coffee all day and all the way up to bedtime, in lieu of another beverage. We make a big pot in the morning and have no more than 2 cups each of hot coffee in the morning -- the rest goes into two quart jars of cold coffee I keep in the fridge. I use evaporated milk, Splenda and some hazelnut syrup in my iced coffee -- delicious!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Today has been crazy. Our house was listed on the MLS and we have had 7 showings even before the realtor and public open house. I hope (cross your fingers) that it sells fast because another house popped up for sale in Temecula that we would love to have. Can't do anything yet till we have an offer and accepted it. Dinner tonight will be dogs with a stiff drink for Joe and Katie. Me? I think I will just crash on the couch. My nerves are shot.

Fingers crossed! Best of luck it all works out.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We have an offer over the asking price but they want a 90 day escrow. Kind of puts the whammy on buying another home for a while. We are checking into how long an escrow the people want on the house we like. We still haven't seen it in person. Did a Google Maps street view and it is a typical cookie cutter. Not very lush area. But we will see. Our agent thinks there may be a bidding war on the house we like. If that is the case I am outta here. The price they are asking is at the top of our budget. We had 8 people come through yesterday. We have another at 9AM, agents open house from 11 to 1 and another person at 3PM. No cooking again. Tuna sandwiches for dinner.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Today has been crazy. Our house was listed on the MLS and we have had 7 showings even before the realtor and public open house. I hope (cross your fingers) that it sells fast because another house popped up for sale in Temecula that we would love to have. Can't do anything yet till we have an offer and accepted it. Dinner tonight will be dogs with a stiff drink for Joe and Katie. Me? I think I will just crash on the couch. My nerves are shot.

I don't know how things work in CA but people here will often write an offer to buy a home CONTINGENT on the completion of an inspection by the buyers and also contingent on the sale of their own home by the closing date or the buyer can call off the sale without losing their earnest money. Do people do that there? Whatever you do, don't make an offer on a home without having a thorough inspection done. You don't want to end up with someone else's nightmare...

Good luck!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

I don't know how things work in CA but people here will often write an offer to buy a home CONTINGENT on the completion of an inspection by the buyers and also contingent on the sale of their own home by the closing date or the buyer can call off the sale without losing their earnest money. Do people do that there? Whatever you do, don't make an offer on a home without having a thorough inspection done. You don't want to end up with someone else's nightmare...

Good luck!
That's the way it works here in this state of NJ.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was DR day for me and Tina. Back to Back appointments.
N E V E R again. We had three arguments in the car on the 45 minute drive to the Dr's office. PITA.. So my blood pressure was great 129/ 61.
Tina's was high. I was given a little inhaler to help me breath better. COPD.
He said there is fluid build up in the lungs, and that is why I have swollen ankles and legs.

So after the docs..... we stopped at the butcher shoppe for ground beef and tuna steaks for DD.
Then a stop at the farm stand for lettuce and cookies and blueberry pie.
Tina wants a blt and I want a chili cheese burger. x2 ( one will never fill me considering I fasted today for my blood work.)

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Good luck!

I would think that would be possible to do in any state, Jimmy. But I should have said "contingent on having a satisfactory inspection" instead of just having an inspection.

Home buying is very stressful and this is from a person who's only done it once (and who doesn't plan to do it again!). Just like buying a car, Brian wasn't very involved. He kept telling me how stressed out I was and how I should let him help me -- he told me that over and over and over. I finally told him I'd asked him to do a couple of simple things that needed doing at our apartment prior to moving and it had been months and he'd not done any of them. So he stopped offering to help, though he did finally do the simple things I'd asked...

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Good luck!
Generally in Canada also.......................However, if the market in an area is very hot, the property very desirable, the seller certainly has the right to refuse to look at any offers which have those contingency clauses.  My son and daughter-in-law moved about 40 miles, the market was very different, they had to pay $100,000 more for less of a house than they had to sell.  And, the seller said that they would not look at any offers that were dependent on financing.   They were in a financial position to handle two houses for some time.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today was DR day for me and Tina. Back to Back appointments.
N E V E R again. We had three arguments in the car on the 45 minute drive to the Dr's office. PITA.. So my blood pressure was great 129/ 61.
Tina's was high. I was given a little inhaler to help me breath better. COPD.
He said there is fluid build up in the lungs, and that is why I have swollen ankles and legs.

Yep, that's the same thing that would've happened to us if we did that, Jimmy. Today there's so much waiting usually even if you only have one appointment -- more than one, even if it's for your spouse, is too many. Poor Brian -- he had to wait so long for all of his appointments that I finally convinced him to take the first appointment of the day the doctor has. Even though it's a bi*ch getting up early, especially when you have to take pain pills to get moving, it's a heck of a lot better than getting home at 4:30 p.m. from a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment, with the trip home only taking 20 minutes! He'd come home not only exhausted but furious -- nothing is worth that.

I also convinced him to tell them when he checks in for an appointment that he has to leave by a certain time -- either to make it to another appointment or to get the car back home for his wife's appointment. And then to ACT on it if they don't get to him timely. He's a very nice person, too, and now most of his physicians's staff are aware of how much pain he's in. Some of the offices now make sure right after he checks in that he goes back into a waiting room with a very comfortable chair to do his waiting -- that's so nice of them and bless his heart, they sometimes come in and find him sound asleep! Beats waiting and working himself into a furor over waiting, you know?

You'd laugh, Jimmy, as we used to say, as we walked to the car, "Would you like to drive OR criticize today?" Now I ALWAYS drive as I'm not the most patient rider. He drives very slow and it drives me crazy. He also leaves 40 car lengths in front of him in traffic so a zillion cars will cut in front of us before he makes it to the light -- another thing that drives other drivers behind us crazy as well. It's just better if I drive. Plus now that he has so much trouble with his hip and leg pain, I just drop him as close to the door as I can get him, then park the car and walk back to where he is. He hates it but he really can't walk that far anymore. It's no picnic for me but I can still do it especially when we're first setting out...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Good luck!

Generally in Canada also.......................However, if the market in an area is very hot, the property very desirable, the seller certainly has the right to refuse to look at any offers which have those contingency clauses.  My son and daughter-in-law moved about 40 miles, the market was very different, they had to pay $100,000 more for less of a house than they had to sell.  And, the seller said that they would not look at any offers that were dependent on financing.   They were in a financial position to handle two houses for some time.

Yes, it's definitely a problem if qualified buyers are plentiful. I watch the real estate shows that feature California properties and am amazed at not only the price of real estate but how fast people jump on someplace that is somewhat reasonably priced. I don't envy Debbie at all...

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had two more showings today and the realtor open house. Our agent says we have 4 offers coming in. One written offer is for $40,000 above the asking price. Our agent will come over tonight to talk about it. Jeez! I hope I haven't put the whammy on things by talking about it. Of course all things depend upon the inspection. We know we have some termite damage which we can have fixed and the back fence is starting to rust out which we won't pay for. The A/C fan is old but still works fine. The heater/ac unit was replaced in 2000 or so and usually only is used for 2 weeks out of the year. I am sure there are other things but I don't know what they are. Just have to wait for a report.
I think our agent said the buyers have 21 days to get financing and the inspection. After that, the buyer will not get a refund. They can still pull out but lose the retainer. My agent says no 90 day escrows, which is my opinion. I am glad we are on the same page.

246May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 25, 2018 10:02 am

Niagara Visitor

WOW, that many showings and offers.  I ended up having two properties for 11 Months when I was trying to sell my farm 4 years ago.  Lots of people want to live in the country, few want 15 acres and all the work in maintaining it.  If it would have been 2 acres, I could have sold it faster, and for more $$$.  Well, it's gone, I am enjoying the $$$ now.

As for food today???? We have our third now annual barbecue for my building tomorrow.  Ticket sales were slow to start, but now we have 75 sold, and will probably have a few show up at the last minute.  

I am making a quinoa salad with an Asian flavour............. chopped peppers, parsley, pineapple, soya sauce s/p.  I sort of add "stuff" until it tastes good to me.

247May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had an agent call and wanted to show the house at 5PM. Then she cancelled. Then she called back and re-scheduled again for 5PM. They come a little after 5. They pull up in a sketchy looking SUV with a ratty sounding motor. My husband doesn't like the look of it. The person who called was a man and he said he was the agent. When they arrived a woman gave Joe her card. They do a brief tour of the house and leave. I am on my computer and I get an email from the bank asking if I just charged $536 at Walmart.com. I call the bank at the same time they are calling me. Someone got my husband's Visa number. We think it was the couple. We look up her name and see her picture. The agent is legit but Joe isn't sure it is the person. He is going to call her this morning to see if she showed the house yesterday. Could be someone got her card and is posing as her.

We also had the creepiest man in here. His wife was nice but the first time through (they came a second time for another look) he starts opening all of my drawers and cupboards. He touches everything. He even opens the drawers in my butcher block and my coffee table. He has no business looking there. He did the same thing second time through. Just creepy.

248May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We had an agent call and wanted to show the house at 5PM. Then she cancelled. Then she called back and re-scheduled again for 5PM. They come a little after 5. They pull up in a sketchy looking SUV with a ratty sounding motor. My husband doesn't like the look of it. The person who called was a man and he said he was the agent. When they arrived a woman gave Joe her card. They do a brief tour of the house and leave. I am on my computer and I get an email from the bank asking if I just charged $536 at Walmart.com. I call the bank at the same time they are calling me. Someone got my husband's Visa number. We think it was the couple. We look up her name and see her picture. The agent is legit but Joe isn't sure it is the person. He is going to call her this morning to see if she showed the house yesterday. Could be someone got her card and is posing as her.

We also had the creepiest man in here. His wife was nice but the first time through (they came a second time for another look) he starts opening all of my drawers and cupboards. He touches everything. He even opens the drawers in my butcher block and my coffee table. He has no business looking there. He did the same thing second time through. Just creepy.
Sounds like an episode of "Twilight Zone".

249May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is great is we don't have to have an open house tomorrow. All of us, including the animals were going to have to hide out in the garage for 4 hours. Agent is coming at 4 for us to sign the papers. I guess it will go into escrow on Tuesday.

250May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 25, 2018 11:20 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is up at sons house; watching the baby Liam for the morning.
Then I guess it will be burgers on the grill.

I have to laugh! Last night we had B L T 's for supper. Well, we picked up the lettuce, from the farm stand. I didn't wash it that well, and the sandwiches were a bit gritty.I asked Tina what will be the consequences, and she said." I guess all that will happen, is it will give you an itchy @$$!..... pale

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum