Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 14]

NormM

NormM

I made some chicken thighs tonight but didn't think to take a picture.  They were marinated in

8 Chicken thighs (about 4 lbs), bone-in skin-on

6 cloves Garlic
5 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Lemon juice
4 tbsp Soy sauce,
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp Kosher salt
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Sesame oil

for at least 30 minutes, baked in marinade at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, then under the broiler for two more minutes.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

Made a new cocktail for Joe and Katie: Liquid cocaine. It has peach schnapps, pineapple juice, Southern Comfort, Amaretto. BLECH! Too sweet for me but they are happy. Hot dogs tonight.

128May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 11, 2018 11:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had leftover Pasta e Fagioli and Tina had leftover Shepherds Pie.
We watched the baby today ( actually we need to address him as the little boy now ).

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made some chicken thighs tonight but didn't think to take a picture.  They were marinated in

8 Chicken thighs (about 4 lbs), bone-in skin-on

6 cloves Garlic
5 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Lemon juice
4 tbsp Soy sauce,
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
2 tsp Kosher salt
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Sesame oil

for at least 30 minutes, baked in marinade at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, then under the broiler for two more minutes.

Sounds good Norm. I like the idea that it's marinated in the stuff and then baked WITH the marinade. Makes sense to me.

130May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sat May 12, 2018 10:42 am

NormM

NormM

The recipe did not say anything about making a sauce with it but I think that would be good too.

131May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Beth, if you mean liver, then you're right. But most cooks or places well loved for their boudin would never use ofal. Maybe many years ago perhaps but not in my time anyway. It was once known as blood sausage as there was many years ago some blood of the pig used when they made it at slaughtering time. But never in modern times. And regular sausage casings are used when making boudin, and like most LA made sausages, we tend to use real casings and not artificial casings. Since boudin isn't normally smoked, when you see it sold in the store, it looks just like say the uncooked sausage sold and made by some groceries and sold in the meat case; it's made into links, too, whereas andouille is usually not made in small links but rather in casings of about 10 to 12 inches and longer.

Yes, Michelle....the recipes I've seen used a bit of the liver and heart....I'm sure it's different for many but a bit of the 'innards' adds a richness and just a bit of the 'mineral-ly' taste that enhances the pork.  But they all used a course grind and all had rice included ~ which was, I'm sure, a means to stretch the amount of meat product used and to 'lighten' the meat so it wasn't really 'packed' too tightly in the casings, which could cause them to burst open when cooked.

The liver and the heart but that's not what I always considered offal -- people use organ meat to make gravy all the time. We always spoke of offal as parts of an animal that were considered INEDIBLE by humans -- they might give offal to livestock but I'm sure they were picky about what animals they gave that to if it's an animal that will one day be slaughtered to eat. Ugh! But then I've heard all kinds of things people say that are supposedly in our sausage and in dishes like jambalaya and gumbo. I once heard my sister telling someone that andouille contained NUTRIA! Normally, I let her BS fly but not that time -- I told the guy she was telling that to that it was indeed total BS -- but there are jokes about what people serve and eat regardless. One joke is about our zoo (which by the way is rated one of the top 5 zoos in the country, I think). Next to the cards in front of the exhibits telling you all the animal is another card containing a recipe! We're used to it. But people are so picky about their sausage that no one would ever use offal in it!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:This isn't my picture, I got it off the internet because I didn't have any pictures of ones I have made but sometimes if I have grated cheese left over- especially parmesan, I will put it in piles on parchment and bake it crisp.  It's good with soup, for snacks and for parties.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 53449710

I've made these before, too -- I saw Lidia making them once. And I also saw someone on TV make larger ones and then curl them up while still soft so they harden into a type of tube that they filled with something -- what I don't remember. They're truly delicious, Norm. Nothing better with a cocktail!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Funny.....but you know how I complain about cheese and how I don't care for it?

I've actually MADE the Parmesan Crisps ~ didn't eat them, but I've made them.  Served them with cocktails and everyone who ate them (and, yes, they were all gone at the end of the night) thought they were great.

No one noticed I just ate the hard salami and spicy capicola ham with crackers.

Of course, I've also made a 'killer' sauce pan macaroni & cheese for my kids and Dane, also the kind of baked mac & cheese topped with potato chips no less.....they loved it but I never had to taste it to serve it.  I'd make it for their supper when I had a meeting or something going on.  That way it was YEARS before my girls figured out that Mom didn't eat cheese.  I didn't want them to grow up with the same distaste for it as I have.  It's a hard "No, thank you." on a food list.

I remember your saying that before, Beth -- I think it's really nice when parents do what you did. I worked for an attorney that told me his father complained about work every night at the dinner table and always told of how he hated his job. This attorney NEVER spoke of his work in front of his two kids, about 5 and 8 at the time, unless it was positive. He said he remembers thinking as a kid that it's a shame work was so bad when you had to do it your whole life. So not only did he make up his mind to do some kind of legal work that he enjoyed, but he made a promise that he'd never let his kids think work was something to dread. I admired that and I admire your choice re cheese, too, Beth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:Funny.....but you know how I complain about cheese and how I don't care for it?

I've actually MADE the Parmesan Crisps ~ didn't eat them, but I've made them.  Served them with cocktails and everyone who ate them (and, yes, they were all gone at the end of the night) thought they were great.

No one noticed I just ate the hard salami and spicy capicola ham with crackers.

Of course, I've also made a 'killer' sauce pan macaroni & cheese for my kids and Dane, also the kind of baked mac & cheese topped with potato chips no less.....they loved it but I never had to taste it to serve it.  I'd make it for their supper when I had a meeting or something going on.  That way it was YEARS before my girls figured out that Mom didn't eat cheese.  I didn't want them to grow up with the same distaste for it as I have.  It's a hard "No, thank you." on a food list.

I remember your saying that before, Beth -- I think it's really nice when parents do what you did. I worked for an attorney that told me his father complained about work every night at the dinner table and always told of how he hated his job. This attorney NEVER spoke of his work in front of his two kids, about 5 and 8 at the time, unless it was positive. He said he remembers thinking as a kid that it's a shame work was so bad when you had to do it your whole life. So not only did he make up his mind to do some kind of legal work that he enjoyed, but he made a promise that he'd never let his kids think work was something to dread. I admired that and I admire your choice re cheese, too, Beth!

I had to laugh at your story of the attorneys father complain about work!
My mother ( rest her soul ) talked work at the table....every.....single....night, at the supper table. Point stared at poor dad! He couldn't eat in piece. She would start into a conversation, and reprimand dad; and saying,"Your NOT L00King at me when I speak!"
Then, there was the getting caught rolling his eyes back when she said certain things. She would say, "I see you rolling your s o a beech of an eye's looking up!!!.... He said,"I just thought I saw a bug on the ceiling!"
That was it....She would push her plate away, and snap up and walk into the living room while we would silently finish our meal. Poor dad choking on his! And then came the gesture that set my brother and me into a giggling fit! He would salute mom, as her back was turned, with a
Thumb & Five Finger Salute! affraid hahahahahah.......We got a kick out of that! May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 1838020472

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:I remember your saying that before, Beth -- I think it's really nice when parents do what you did. I worked for an attorney that told me his father complained about work every night at the dinner table and always told of how he hated his job. This attorney NEVER spoke of his work in front of his two kids, about 5 and 8 at the time, unless it was positive. He said he remembers thinking as a kid that it's a shame work was so bad when you had to do it your whole life. So not only did he make up his mind to do some kind of legal work that he enjoyed, but he made a promise that he'd never let his kids think work was something to dread. I admired that and I admire your choice re cheese, too, Beth!

I had to laugh at your story of the attorneys father complain about work!
My mother ( rest her soul ) talked work at the table....every.....single....night, at the supper table. Point stared at poor dad! He couldn't eat in piece. She would start into a conversation, and reprimand dad; and saying,"Your NOT L00King at me when I speak!"
Then, there was  the getting caught rolling his eyes back when she said certain things. She would say, "I see you rolling your s o a beech of an eye's looking up!!!.... He said,"I just thought I saw a bug on the ceiling!"
That was it....She would push her plate away, and snap up and walk into the living room while we would silently finish our meal. Poor dad choking on his! And then came the gesture that set my brother and me into a giggling fit! He would salute mom, as her back was turned, with a
Thumb & Five Finger Salute! affraid hahahahahah.......We got a kick out of that! May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 1838020472  

Funny stuff, Jimmy! I could almost hear you and your brother snickering!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

I was the same way about only talking about the 'good' stuff at work. Kids have to have a positive outlook or they'll live at home on Mom & Dad's payroll forever if they think work is a horrible thing. Let 'em find out for themselves, I always said! LOL

Actually, our Robin (the younger of the two) had a series of jobs when she was just starting out. She worked at a Pizza Shop, a small restaurant as a short order cook (that wasn't for long.....) and quite a few years as a bartender / waitress at a neighborhood tavern where everyone in town knew everyone.

When she decided she didn't want to work in a bar for the rest of her life, and be on her feet 10 -12 hours a day slinging cases of beer from the cooler to the bar, she took up the offer of a couple guys she knew to become their bookkeeper/office manager of their (very) small construction business. She caught on quickly to the work and learned from their accountant what she needed to do and did quite well. One time I asked her what posessed her to choose that profession. She shocked the heck out of me by saying, "You always seemed to have such a good time at your job that I figured it might be fun."

So, I guess I did do a pretty go job of not letting on what a crappy job I had and how much I wanted to change to something else.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot dog for me....leftover from the church soup kitchen.
Tina had potato salad....then she took off for WalMart.
The kids want the pizza mothers day celebration tomorrow. Rolling Eyes

Its 50 degrees out, and dark and raining. Cup of hot cocoa or tea later....
Tina wants to make rice pudding when she gets back home from shopping!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"Happy Mothers Day" to all the Mothers and Acting Mothers on this Site! "God Bless!"

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight. I went to Ocala with Lyn this morning and we stopped for breakfast at Metro Diner. I had my favorite ~ Eggs Benedict, came with fabulous crispy hash browns with onion.....YUM!

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 05_12_10

And tonight I'm still not hungry. Dane was at his sister's trying to get her riding lawn mower started (had to order a part) so he ended up making himself a salad and that was fine with me.

My Motorola Droid cell phone 'died' today ~ just went black and wouldn't turn on. I went over to the Verizon store and the man there was able to reset it but it went black again, and he could reset it a second time but we agreed it was telling me it was 'tired'. I ended up getting an iPhone 8. I figure since we plan to change our PC to an Apple that it would be good to have a phone that I can sync the information between the computer and cell phone. That way I can actually have a calendar that I can schedule from either and know what's coming up and not miss stuff because my memory ain't nearly as good as something written......gosh, I'm getting so old. It's sad......LOL

Earlier in the day I had set up an Apple account trying to FaceTime on the borrowed laptop and I got through the set-up but couldn't figure out how to connect with Robin. But since I had an Apple account the nice man at Verizon included FaceTime on my new phone and I was able to use that to FaceTime Robin and Jake. Jake took me on a tour of their new home that they're finishing up the painting in. He was REALLY impressed that Grandma entered the 21st Century and was 'with it' on FaceTime. LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:"Happy Mothers Day" to all the Mothers and Acting Mothers on this Site! "God Bless!"

Thanks, Jimmy!

The same right back to Tina! (Hi, Tina!)

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:"Happy Mothers Day" to all the Mothers and Acting Mothers on this Site! "God Bless!"

Thanks, Jimmy! Smile

142May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Niagara Visitor

muzicgirl wrote:

Thanks, Jimmy! Smile
Happy Mother's Day!  I had my mother's Day fix with my sons and daughters-in-law last Sunday, the boys have gone fishing.  Apparently they have caught a bunch of Crappies. I have no idea if you have them in your waters (or the name in your dictionary!) "Crappy" a delicious small fish. 

I am going to drive to Niagara Falls to see the Spring flower show.  The Niagara Parks Floral Showcase greenhouse has their Hydrangea show now.   Predominant colour for this year for the beds of Niagara Parks is apparently Ultra Violet.  500 hydrangeas are on display now until June 1.  I get a season's pass for the Greenhouse and go there lots of times. .  Tulips etc. should be in full bloom outside now also.

I have no idea what I will have/make for dinner.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My supper is all ready to just bake in the oven.
Pizza.... ( 5 ) 16 Inch pies.
I sauced them, and cheesed them, and added the toppings on the three of the five.Tina is still in her robe, and resting in the living room watching tv and napping.
She took a lyrica because she said her head hurts. ( The nerves from the shingles )

I'm ready for a nap myself. Yawnnn!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made what I wanted for Mother's Day ~ BLT and Sweet Kale Salad.  I splurged and bought some potato chips.  You'll never guess who ate more of them than I did......(you all get only 1 guess ~ LOL)

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 05_13_10

The camera on my new phone takes really good pics. I cannot figure out how to make them come out smaller here on the forum but I guess it's not horrible that I'll be posting gigantic pics. It just uses up more space and that's OK, I guess.

Lore, the greenhouse sounds like a lovely place to go and visit and take in all the beauty of nature. Enjoy yourself!

NormM

NormM

I had a pork chop and made some sour dough bread for dinner tonight.May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 20180511
May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 20180512

Niagara Visitor

I pulled a small meatloaf out of my little freezer, had a salad to go with it.  Yumm.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are having leftover pizza Joe and Katie got last night: 1/2 BBQ chicken 1/2 tri-tip and cheese.

NormM

NormM

I went to get an ice cream bar from the freezer and it was soft. I checked other items and they were getting soft too. If the freezer was still cold and nothing had completely melted, are the contents safe? I moved some stuff to a smaller freezer in the garage and set the freezer temp. to zero. I think things are coming back down. Are the stuff that partially melted safe?

149May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I went to get an ice cream bar from the freezer and it was soft. I checked other items and they were getting soft too.  If the freezer was still cold and nothing had completely melted, are the contents safe? I moved some stuff to a smaller freezer in the garage and set the freezer temp. to zero. I think things are coming back down.  Are the stuff that partially melted safe?

Anything with icy crystals is below 32 degrees so they should be ok to refreeze. Why did the freezer get so high in temperature?
Is it an auto defrost freezer?

150May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sun May 13, 2018 11:16 pm

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:I went to get an ice cream bar from the freezer and it was soft. I checked other items and they were getting soft too.  If the freezer was still cold and nothing had completely melted, are the contents safe? I moved some stuff to a smaller freezer in the garage and set the freezer temp. to zero. I think things are coming back down.  Are the stuff that partially melted safe?

Anything with icy crystals is below 32 degrees so they should be ok to refreeze. Why did the freezer get so high in temperature?
Is it an auto defrost freezer?

I don't know. It may be due to the door left ajar but I didn't hear the alarm going off. It may be broken. The ice cream had is still soft.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum