Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

176April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Pane_b11

Isn't this just the PRETTIEST bread you've ever seen?  I recently got a new catalog from King Arthur Flour and it was on the cover. I am determined to make this so I thought you bread bakers, especially YOU, Norm, might like to make it as well. Beth, I know it has cheese in it but I think you like mozzarella and Parmesan so you could either omit the cheese -- a crime! -- or put whatever cheese you do like in there.  

Those of you who like to bake cakes, breads, scones, and just about anything, KingArthurFlour.com has wonderful recipes for all of these things. Plus they have bakers right there to help you via phone or chat, too, if you need help (people like me, a novice baker, really appreciate the at the ready help). And if you read the reviews of a recipe before you make the item, you'll see problems others may have had and the staff's solution to their problem.  Love that website but I always order too much stuff when I go there!  

Pane Biano
Recipe from KingArthurFlour.com/Recipe by Dianna Wara of Washington, Illinois/Took First Place, National Festival of Breads.

This recipe makes a tasty loaf filled with fresh basil, tomatoes, garlic, and shredded cheese; the bread has wonderful soft texture and is packed with flavor. The unique shape is simple to achieve and makes an impressive presentation.

Dough:
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour*
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/3 cup lukewarm water
3 Tablespoons olive oil
*See "Tips" below.
Filling:
3/4 cup shredded Italian-blend cheese or the cheese of your choice
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes or your own oven-roasted tomatoes
3 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, green or purple

1. Combine all of the dough ingredients in a bowl (or the bucket of your bread machine), and mix and knead — by hand, using a mixer, or in your bread machine set on the dough cycle — to make a smooth, very soft dough. The dough should stick a bit to the bottom of the bowl if you're using a stand mixer.
2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes, or until it's doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile, thoroughly drain the tomatoes, patting them dry. Use kitchen shears to cut them into smaller bits.
4. Gently deflate the dough. Flatten and pat it into a 22" x 8 1/2" rectangle. Spread with the cheese, tomatoes, garlic, and basil.
5. Starting with one long edge, roll the dough into a log the long way. Pinch the edges to seal. Place the log seam-side down on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Using kitchen shears, start 1/2" from one end and cut the log lengthwise down the center about 1" deep, to within 1/2" of the other end.
7. Keeping the cut side up, form an "S" shape. Tuck both ends under the center of the "S" to form a "figure 8;" pinch the ends together to seal.
8. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, 45 to 60 minutes.
9. While the loaf is rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.
10. Uncover the bread, and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting it with foil after 20 to 25 minutes to prevent over-browning.
11. Remove the bread from the oven, and transfer it to a rack to cool. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Store, well-wrapped, at room temperature for a couple of days; freeze for longer storage.

Tips from our bakers:
*Substitute all-purpose flour 1:1 for the bread flour in the recipe, if desired. Reduce the water to 1/4 cup.
**When making anything with yeast, including this bread, let the dough rise to the point the recipe says it should, e.g., "Let the dough rise until it's doubled in bulk." Rising times are only a guide; there are so many variables in yeast baking that it's impossible to say that bread dough will ALWAYS double in bulk in a specific amount of time.
**Chop your basil with kitchen shears, just as you do the sun-dried tomatoes.

177April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That bread is really beautiful.  Actually it reminds me of some of the bread Imelda made and posted pics of ~ she made some with salami and cheese in muffin tins that was stunning.  She also made a 'chopped' bread that had lots of cheese in it ~ if I remember correctly she chunked up the dough and then chopped in chunks of cheese and herbs.  She always came up with some amazingly beautiful breads.

And, yes, it is tempting to attempt to make it ~ who doesn't love a challenge?

I remember how great it was to make Jetfan's braided egg bread.  It was the first time I ever attempted bread on my own.

Somehow I lost the link to Imelda's English blog. Maybe she'll give it to us if it's still available. She had lots of pics of what she was cooking, the photos were always so beautiful.

178April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:That bread is really beautiful.  Actually it reminds me of some of the bread Imelda made and posted pics of ~ she made some with salami and cheese in muffin tins that was stunning.  She also made a 'chopped' bread that had lots of cheese in it ~ if I remember correctly she chunked up the dough and then chopped in chunks of cheese and herbs.  She always came up with some amazingly beautiful breads.

And, yes, it is tempting to attempt to make it ~ who doesn't love a challenge?

I remember how great it was to make Jetfan's braided egg bread.  It was the first time I ever attempted bread on my own.

Wow, I had you pegged as a regular bread baker, Beth. How long ago was that when you made Jetfan's bread?

I've made plenty of loaves but once the breadmaker came out and I got one, I stopped making any in the oven even though it had been a while since I'd indulged. But then I never made fancy breads back then-- just "regular" homemade bread, mainly white, the occasional egg bread, and a couple of loaves with additives, nothing I can even remember right now. I made a couple of sweetbreads, too. I tried to make French bread baguettes but was disappointed; I still have the baguette pan like Norm's so I should try again one day.

Don't get me started on Imelda. She is totally incapable of making ANYTHING that isn't gorgeous no matter what she cooks!

179April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made that bread a few years ago. It was absolutely beautiful and I was so proud of it. Stephen was so kind to give 'blow-by-blow' instructions on how to weave it to end up with a beautiful braided loaf. And it was really delicious. I cannot access my pics of making it because I had stored all my pics on Photobucket then. A couple years ago they deleted all my pics and said it was because I didn't have 'permission' to post them to my forum. I just checked my phone and it only goes back to 2016 ~ so it was before then.

You'll just have to take my word for it that it was beautiful and all due to Jetfan's great instructions!

I can't bake bread on a regular basis ~ it's my biggest weakness.......a loaf on the lips attaches permanently to my hips!

180April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

NormM

NormM

No Michelle, the names are not in order. Ford is on the left and Harding is on the right. Edison is in the foreground middle with a hat in his hand. I don't know who is who of the other two.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

181April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I made that bread a few years ago.  It was absolutely beautiful and I was so proud of it.  Stephen was so kind to give 'blow-by-blow' instructions on how to weave it to end up with a beautiful braided loaf.  And it was really delicious.  I cannot access my pics of making it because I had stored all my pics on Photobucket then.  A couple years ago they deleted all my pics and said it was because I didn't have 'permission' to post them to my forum.  I just checked my phone and it only goes back to 2016 ~ so it was before then.

You'll just have to take my word for it that it was beautiful and all due to Jetfan's great instructions!

I can't bake bread on a regular basis ~ it's my biggest weakness.......a loaf on the lips attaches permanently to my hips!

I DO remember your posting that bread, Beth, but I, too, wish you still had a picture. You weren't alone in Photobucket, as they did that to everyone. I forget what their fee was they wanted, but I remember it was over $300 -- just crazy!

I know what you mean about not making bread too often. It would be great for Brian to beef up but I don't need any beefing or my clothes wouldn't fit!!! Brian feels about bread the way he does about dessert -- he LOVES it. Sometimes has a piece of sliced bread and butter with his dinner, too, if there's no rolls or French bread in the house. I just love the smell of it in the house -- I can always hack off a piece to give to a friend as everyone seems to love getting home-baked bread. That Cranberry Orange bread I make in the bread machine has been given away tons of times and one of us is often asked when I'm making more!

For a while, I was too thin and had to gain. Then no matter what I ate for a while, I wouldn't gain. Now I'm back to more of a normal pattern -- if I eat too much, it again shows up on the scale. It's better for my heath but eating whatever I wanted in any quantity sure was fun while it lasted!

182April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:No Michelle, the names are not in order. Ford is on the left and Harding is on the right. Edison is in the foreground middle with a hat in his hand. I don't know who is who of the other two.

Laughed, Norm, as like I said, I picked Harding out. For the life of me, I couldn't spot a 5th person in that photo no matter how hard I tried....

183April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was really tasty.....even though I'm not a huge fan of pork, the pork tenderloin with apples & onions with an apple jelly/basalmic glaze was pretty darn tasty.

I could have made a meal with just the German Potato Salad....THAT'S what I was really hungry for!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 04_22_10

184April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:05 pm

NormM

NormM

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Forded10
The fifth guy is bending over and his face is behind Edisons hat. Here is Ford. left, Edison, middle and Firestone on the right.

185April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

Surprise dinner today.  Fishing son was out on Lake Erie, unfortunately the fish were hiding.  So, no fish.  But, they were grilling sausages to have on a bun, I was a surprise guest, as was my DIL's dad, so sausages were in short supply.  Son said, "Mom, I know how both you and Ray like a steak, so the grill is fired up, do you feel like going to the market down the street and get a couple of steaks?" 

So, I picked up two T-bones and some potato salad.  It was a great day, but no fish!

186April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How wonderful to share an impromptu dinner! At our age it's pretty easy to roll with the punches....

I'm sure there will be fresh fish soon enough. The fish are probably still hiding in the deep recesses by the fireplace in the underwater cave.

187April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The fifth guy is bending over and his face is behind Edisons hat. Here is Ford. left, Edison, middle and Firestone on the right.

Laughed out loud, Norm, as now I see him in there! I looked at that picture several times and for several minutes each time and was "certain" there were only 4 people in it. Thanks for saving my sanity!

188April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:The fifth guy is bending over and his face is behind Edisons hat. Here is Ford. left, Edison, middle and Firestone on the right.

Laughed out loud, Norm, as now I see him in there! I looked at that picture several times and for several minutes each time and was "certain" there were only 4 people in it. Thanks for saving my sanity!

I'm only seeing three people in the picture. ??? No hat on Edson!

189April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Jimmy - go back to post #169 to see the pic of the FIVE men......you musta missed it.

190April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:11 am

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:How wonderful to share an impromptu dinner!  At our age it's pretty easy to roll with the punches....

I'm sure there will be fresh fish soon enough.  The fish are probably still hiding in the deep recesses by the fireplace in the underwater cave.

They were probably hiding under the ice floes.  Lake Erie is the shallowest of the 5 Great Lakes, there is a lot of ice buildup.  We've had a very late spring, so while trying to fish, they were literally going around the ice.  Danny said that there was one chunk floating by with a seagull on it just going for a ride.  Such fun!

191April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I was at a complete loss when it came to thinking of what to have for supper. It's been raining off and on all day so I don't think the grill is going to be pulled out.....but, then again, maybe......

I knew I had some hot dogs and, low and behold! there are buns in the freezer ready for a swipe of butter and ready to nestle into a nice hot pan to be grilled up until golden. I even have some sauerkraut so I'm smilin' at that.

A look in the vegetable drawer gave me my final inspiration.....a head of cauliflower. I'm going to make the cauliflower pea salad....bacon is always in my freezer and peas, too. I even have enough ice burg lettuce to complete it. I had 4 hard cooked eggs so I now have a plate of deviled eggs to go along side.

And life is good.

192April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't know WHY it's so difficult for me to make a salad that is just enough for one meal......

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 04_23_10

But supper was pretty good ~ like a picnic in the house!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 04_23_11

193April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Niagara Visitor

I totally understand the dilemma of making some things for "Just one".  I like a lot of different veggies in my salads, and have occasionally just gone to get a salad at a market that has a great salad bar.  I think it's cheaper than having all the  different items in my fridge because I have been wasting food.  Like, just how can one make potato salad or coleslaw for one person or meal?  

I love cooking, but I really can't walk up and down the hallways in my building to ask people if they would like some salad!..................... Who knows, some people might like it, though.

194April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:28 pm

NormM

NormM

I usually put together a salad from the grocery store salad bar. Hen House has a good salad bar and I like to have it for lunch a lot of times. I feel it is better to get what I want in a salad every few days than it is to get all the stuff I put in them and make it at home. It is faster than cutting up everything myself and does not take up a lot of room in the refrigerator.

195April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I don't know WHY it's so difficult for me to make a salad that is just enough for one meal......

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 04_23_10

But supper was pretty good ~ like a picnic in the house!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 04_23_11

Beth!... looks like you came out a Winner today!
N I C E

196April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I usually put together a salad from the grocery store salad bar. Hen House has a good salad bar and I like to have it for lunch a lot of times.  I feel it is better to get what I want in a salad every few days than it is to get all the stuff I put in them and make it at home. It is faster than cutting up everything myself and does not take up a lot of room in the refrigerator.

Tina calls me when she is at the store, and asks if I want a salad. I tell her, yes, but separate everything. Olives / tomatoes / cheese cubes / etc / all in a separate container. Right!...ya wanna know why??
I get to stock up on the plastic tight fitting containers. They are great for giving stuff to people or to the kids to take stuff home.

There is a tare weight for the container that is subtracted from the price; so its like getting the the clear snap top containers for F R E E !

197April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had a great day for our 52nd anniversary. No arguing; no snapping at each other, and I smiled all day.It's like Cinderella & Cinderfella! hahahahaha
I even kissed her ( Tina ), on the cheek, as I wished her a happy anniversary!

I sent her out to Phillipsburg, to drop off the engine parts to get machined for the neighbors Subaru next door. While out that way, 30 minutes drive, she found a meat market and deli.  Bought us filet mignon, and a doz. Pierogies.
We had the pierogi for supper, along with a cake she got at a German bakery.

At 5:30 ish... the Edible arrangements basket of chocolate coated strawberries came, and the heart shaped pineapples and balloons .....
Well.... Hells Bells.... I came out smellin like a rose. A card on the delivery and all.

Well.... three more or so hours...and we turn back into a rat ( me ) and a dove...            
( Tina ), and the carriage into a pumpkin.   April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 3447731902

198April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I laughed when I saw this, Jimmy, as I knew you thought we were talking about the second picture Norm posted. But it made me giggle nonetheless, as I could picture you saying, "Five? Five? It's three. And no one is wearing a hat!"

I saw where Beth told you I was speaking of a prior message but had to let you know you made me laugh!

199April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I laughed when I saw this, Jimmy, as I knew you thought we were talking about the second picture Norm posted. But it made me giggle nonetheless, as I could picture you saying, "Five? Five? It's three. And no one is wearing a hat!"

I saw where Beth told you I was speaking of a prior message but had to let you know you made me laugh!

Michelle.... You should see what I did. I refreshed the page / I resigned out and in to the site /, and then I figured it was one of those puzzles; like find the hat or rooster in this picture. I even restarted my computer.
I'm losing it for sure! hahahahaha

200April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 8 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I usually put together a salad from the grocery store salad bar. Hen House has a good salad bar and I like to have it for lunch a lot of times.  I feel it is better to get what I want in a salad every few days than it is to get all the stuff I put in them and make it at home. It is faster than cutting up everything myself and does not take up a lot of room in the refrigerator.

I often buy the cut-up fresh fruit from the grocery for fruit salad. It's expensive but I can get everything I want to put in it. It's just too much fruit for us to get say, a cantaloupe, a pineapple, a half a watermelon, etc. Sometimes I'll buy a couple of small containers of the fruit mentioned, and then I buy a small package of blueberries and strawberries to add to those -- at least we don't waste it and like you said, Norm, it doesn't take up all that room in the fridge.

I never thought of doing it with salad stuff, though. Might take a look at the salad bar in Rouse's the next time I go as we don't have enough salads.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum