Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

151April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

and an easy fix is to just grate in some fresh ginger...I keep mine, peeled, wrapped in plastic in a jar in the freezer. It's easy to microplane when frozen into anything.......like ginger 'snow'!

152April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Having lived in the country for most of my life, I have seen what oil and grease do to a septic tank.  It collects at the top and forms a crust that can't be removed easily when the tank needs to be emptied.

Boy, I've always been glad I never had to deal with a septic tank. They're whole different animals from what I'm used to, Lore. What did YOU used to do with leftover oil back then? What do you do with it now?

What did we do?  I rarely deep fry anything, so didn't really have much oil left over.  When we did have a fish fry on the firepit, at the end we'd dump it into the fire and it burned up, polluting the air!   Or, sometimes we'd just pour it into the ground in the bush.  It was food grade oil, doesn't harm anything when you have 15 acres!

Fishing season is open, I just came back from fishing son's house, boat is out of storage, there may be fresh Lake Erie perch tomorrow for dinner.  

The wild game dinner was fine, a little disappointing in the number of wild foods available.  There was duck, venison, wild boar and lamb stew.  All delicious, but when we went to one some years ago they had things like moose, Canada Goose and even wild turkey.   It was sooooo crowded, noisy that I got a headache.  It was for a good cause, The Lions do a lot of charity work in the community.  This particular chapter is involved in fostering dogs to become service dogs, a great cause also.

153April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have done nothing but nibble all day.  Well, went to our local farmers' market and had my favourite, Huevos Rancheros from a Mexican vendor here for breakfast, bought some cheese, some sausage, some beef jerky, and have been nibbling on that all day.

Oh, and picked up some wine and testing that now.  It's a good day!

154April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We ended up at The Lighthouse seafood restaurant.....twin lobster tail 'special' ($26). Dane had swordfish and loved every bite. I'm stuffed and trying to 'walk-it-off' ~ the lobster was cooked well and the whole meal was really good.

I don't usually eat as much as I did tonight but it was really hard to turn down the lobster special. I like it when they offer a special as one or two tails, your choice, and price accordingly.

155April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:
Fishing season is open, I just came back from fishing son's house, boat is out of storage, there may be fresh Lake Erie perch tomorrow for dinner.  

As lovely as my lobster tail dinner was tonight, I would gladly have traded for some cold water Lake Erie perch! I know you know how fortunate you are to get that fresh fish, right out of the water. Just know my tongue is hanging out and my saliva glands are on overtime every time you mention a fish treat with your son!

Please continue to let me live vicariously through your description of your meals. YUM!

156April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and Katie went to a friends birthday party. It is a 3 hour drive each way. Then they are meeting at some Tuscan restaurant for dinner and drinks. I can't do long days like that so as usual I sit at home. What I hate is when they get home Katie's dogs start barking, howling and yipping and it wakes me up and then I can't go back to sleep for hours.

157April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eggplant Moussaka and breaded eggplant slices.
I'm not a great server of food. I didn't even cut it. I just shoveled my piece, and threw it on my plate.
The white, is farina sauce, that is poured on top the casserole, then baked till browned.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Img_0833

158April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, I made these.....after much trial and error.  I made them on the stovetop ~ really didn't take long once you got the hang of it.

The key for me was starting the thinly sliced shallot, all nicely separated into rings and not clumped together, in COLD oil.  The second tip is TAKE THEM OUT AS SOON AS THEY START TO LOOK JUST SLIGHTLY TAN.  If you wait until they look brown and crisp to take them out of the hot oil they will continue cooking on the paper towels you drain them on and when you look back at them they will be BLACK.  It's really a 'learn as you go' sort of garnish.

HOWEVER:::::

You missed the post where Imelda said she buys her crunchy fried onions!  I just keep my jar in the refrigerator (and usually forget it's there......sigh.....)  I really like them on breakfast eggs with runny yolks ~ YUM!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 04_21_10

Thanks for the message but I DO remember your making them on the stove and then solving the problem using the cold oil. And I also remember Imelda saying she buys them! I just didn't know you bought them, too. Figured the microwave was easier with the times listed than doing them on the stove.

But yes, buying them is easier still and a lot more up my alley!

159April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 04_20_11

You were on point with this, Beth. I just read that yesterday, April 20, was National Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Day. You're so darn trendy, Beth!

160April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Yes, I do have Amazon Prime and order stuff WAY TOO OFTEN!
Thanks for adding to my growing problem, Beth, as I will add these to my cart tonight!

Beth wrote:We had never used a charcoal chimney starter before so Dane was REALLY impressed how well it works and how fast the charcoal gets going with just one piece of newspaper as a starter. No more lighter fluid (Ewwwwww!) and no more waiting 30 or 35 minutes for the pile of charcoal to be ready. The hardwood chunks are really the way to go ~ although it doesn't make sense to me that I'm spending $$ on 'already-burned-up-wood'......LOL

I remember when we first used one many years ago -- nirvana compared to the fluid -- and I always worried Brian would blow himself up as he insisted, of course, of squirting more fluid on the fire once it got started. Yes, they are indeed very fast -- and you can make a small fire easily using them, too.

We never "upgraded" to hardwood charcoal. We almost did it for the smoker but then decided we were too set in our ways to get used to something new as we had everything "down" already in the smoker and on the grill. Plus the hardwood was a lot more expensive than the good charcoal we could buy on sale pretty regularly at Home Depot (it's usually two of the really big bags for a really good price; we only buy one bag now that we have all these physical problems). So the price was an additional motivator to stick with the charcoal we knew. Even though some guy in the old Cooking forum said you weren't a real man or a real smoker or a real griller unless you used the hardwood stuff. But then I'm none of those things so I just didn't tell Brian that.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 2876911673

161April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Well, I put the BBQ Sauce in my cart but passed on the onions. I know a 16-ounce jar of fried onions is A LOT of fried onions but I don't need a giant jar of that stuff, especially since it's $22. They'd get stale before I could ever use up that much, I'm sure.

Just being honest here.  But I put it in my cart and then "saved it for later" so I could I.D. it down the line if I ever need a shoebox full of fried onions!! Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes clown

162April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beth, pretty soon we will see ..... AMAZON Gas stations; Banks, Airlines, Sporting Goods, and a whole bunch of things! ......  Wouldn't be surprised to see AMAZON Funeral's! hahahahaha

Oooh, good. We'll be able order funerals online. Maybe pick out your own box, you know, Jimmy?

I remember years ago my SIL sent me a cookbook from Amazon when it was brand new -- at the time, it only sold books, I think. I told Brian, "Look, Jane used that new service to buy this book. I don't think I'm going to use them as I heard they're really going to hurt booksellers, which, of course, they did and which, of course, I didn't stick to!!! Hey, things change. They run a very very good service.

One of my postmen (he's a loo loo, as he's not supposed to do it per the manager at the local post office that serves us) left 3 books (separate packages) on the steps of my stoop house Monday and they were stolen. I was at jury duty and Brian was at the hospital having tests -- I didn't even know they were delivered! I am reading a 7-book series and was almost finished Book 3 and wondered where 4, 5 and 6 were -- that's when I saw they were left on my steps on Monday. The booksellers I got them from on Amazon (I buy used paperbacks when available as I read a lot) are all refunding my money but it's just not fair to them, you know? I only ever see one of my postmen but assume I have 2 as I doubt the one works 6 days a week. He knows there's a little ledge over my entrance alcove that is invisible from the street and he can put things there if I'm not home if they fit (plenty big enough for a book, paper or hardback). So I presume it was the other guy. Made another complaint to the P.O. tonight as I said if he's going to put them on the steps if we don't answer the bell, then tell him to just throw them away as I'm never going to get them. Better than a damn thief getting them. Grrrrrr. Evil or Very Mad Pretty soon, I told the postmaster, no one will be willing to send me anything anymore!

163April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Home alone today. ( Again )

I hope you didn't get into any trouble like that other kid who was HOME ALONE!

164April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Michelle, I have seen Korean BBQ sauce in grocery stores. I think it is called House of T'sang Korean Teriyaki sauce.  I tried it and I think it tastes just like the one I make from scratch except  when I make mine you can tell it's got fresh grated ginger. It is in a Worcestershire shaped bottle and has a black label.

Thanks, Norm -- that's awfully nice of you. Ordered some from Amazon that Beth linked me to. But I sure do appreciate your help. Will look for that next time I'm in the store though so I can see if the store carries it.

165April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:and an easy fix is to just grate in some fresh ginger...I keep mine, peeled, wrapped in plastic in a jar in the freezer.  It's easy to microplane when frozen into anything.......like ginger 'snow'!

I just bought a piece recently and plan to freeze it. Normally I buy a chunk, peel and slice it (Martha Stewart recommends peeling it with a spoon though I've yet to try it; she also has a ginger grater, the little type on a plate, but I'd rather microplane it). After I slice it, I put it in a little 1/2-pint canning jar and cover it with dry sherry and store it on the door of the fridge. Most of the things that I use ginger in won't be hurt and often benefit from the little sherry taste the ginger has when I remove a slice or two to mince for use in a dish.

But I wanted a chunk to freeze just so i could use the microplane grater on it...

166April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have done nothing but nibble all day.  Well, went to our local farmers' market and had my favourite, Huevos Rancheros from a Mexican vendor here for breakfast, bought some cheese, some sausage, some beef jerky, and have been nibbling on that all day.

Oh, and picked up some wine and testing that now.  It's a good day!

Oooh, Lore, I LOVE Huevos Rancheros -- one of my favorites, too. I also love beef jerky and have a soft spot for cheese, sausage AND wine, come to think of it...

I spent my morning in Home Depot with Al, the contractor, buying paint and stuff as now I'm going to have him paint the living room. He still has to try to repair the ceiling fan in there and work on the springs in two of the windows and then he's done all the work I'd planned to do originally and I'm now going to hire him to paint the room (a medium dark gray with shiny white trim on the baseboards and windows). I also had some other things I had to pick up (air conditioner filters) as he changed them for me today (the upstairs unit has the air filter in the guest bedroom ceiling so there's no way Brian and I are going to change it anymore and have to get up on a ladder). I also bought some tomato plants and herbs and then went to the grocery to pick up one thing (ended up with several bags of stuff, of course) and had the guy just load them on top of the paint cans in my trunk. There was a method to my madness, though, as that way the contractor carried in my groceries and then the paint! He also lugged all the plants and a couple of heavy bags of potting soil to my back deck, too.

He painted balusters on the balcony today and spread a second coat of "mud" on the opening he had to make in the bedroom wall and little wall outside of our bedroom to add an electric outlet outside my bedroom to plug the stairlift into -- I had been running the plug thru the door of my bedroom to the nearest plug. He's coming tomorrow, too, to do more inside work, as it's supposed to storm for a while so no more balcony work. New shutters for the French doors on the balcony are made but the kiln-dried treated lumber has to "dry" a while until they can be painted. He forgot to bring the match for THAT paint today but it's no biggie cause we can't use it yet anyway; I just wanted to have all the paint bought and waiting on him but he forgot his match and I remembered mine, which is better than the other way around!

Anyway, after going out last night and getting up early to go to Home Depot on a Saturday, I am pooped tonight and suffering with a painful back yet again..,

167April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Just went out to the balcony and watched the fireworks over the river which were shot off in regard to the Tall Ships being here. Very pretty but kind of a disorganized fireworks show. Brian stayed in bed and said, "You can tell me about them when you come back inside!" He's tired, too, from last night.

168April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Beth wrote:We had never used a charcoal chimney starter before so Dane was REALLY impressed how well it works and how fast the charcoal gets going with just one piece of newspaper as a starter. No more lighter fluid (Ewwwwww!) and no more waiting 30 or 35 minutes for the pile of charcoal to be ready. The hardwood chunks are really the way to go ~ although it doesn't make sense to me that I'm spending $$ on 'already-burned-up-wood'......LOL

I remember when we first used one many years ago -- nirvana compared to the fluid -- and I always worried Brian would blow himself up as he insisted, of course, of squirting more fluid on the fire once it got started.  Yes, they are indeed very fast -- and you can make a small fire easily using them, too.  

We never "upgraded" to hardwood charcoal.  We almost did it for the smoker but then decided we were too set in our ways to get used to something new as we had everything "down" already in the smoker and on the grill. Plus the hardwood was a lot more expensive than the good charcoal we could buy on sale pretty regularly at Home Depot (it's usually two of the really big bags for a really good price; we only buy one bag now that we have all these physical problems).  So the price was an additional motivator to stick with the charcoal we knew.  Even though some guy in the old Cooking forum said you weren't a real man or a real smoker or a real griller unless you used the hardwood stuff.  But then I'm none of those things so I just didn't tell Brian that.  

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 2876911673

Michelle ~ when you want to grill something (as opposed to using your smoker), DO give the hardwood chunk charcoal a try. I found Royal Oak readily available at Winn Dixie and Wal Mart for $10/large bag. What's great is that it is about 1/3 the weight of a big bag of Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes. Seriously easier to handle (although you still really should use gloves if you don't want black hands for a week.....). The Kingsford (IMO) still has a slight petroleum odor to me, probably some ingredient to get it to hold together in the little brick shape. The Royal Oak doesn't seem to have any flavor to impart to the food except the yummy crust you get from that wood fire. The first time I used it for my marinated flank steak really took my breath away ~ it was SO much better than on the gas grill.

169April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am

NormM

NormM

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Campsi10

Did you know Henry Ford "invented" charcoal. He loved to go camping and someone in his company created compressed charcoal for cooking. His name was Kingsford. Here is Ford with his buddies Harvey Firestone, Thomas Edison, William Anderson and Warren G. Harding on a camping trip.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

170April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well aren't YOU just a wealth of information!

I did not know that.

But one day I may be in a bar when they start up a game of 'Trivia' and I could be the winner with that little jewel stuck in the back of my mind!

Thanks.

171April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm

NormM

NormM

I had one of my facts wrong. Kingsford was a real estate agent who found Ford large tract of land for a supply of wood. Kingsford's wife was a cousin of Ford. Early cars  used a wood in the frame, dashboard, running board, and spokes and Ford used the sawdust from the wood to make briquets. Ford hated the idea of all that waste sawdust and wood stumps.  Edison designed a factory next to the sawmill to make them and Kingsford ran it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

172April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Phew! Glad you filled me in on the corrected story (not that I'm too lazy to look it up for myself.....).

I really do love those bits of information that stick in the back of your brain and come out at the most odd times.

173April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a pack of the little pork tenderloins ~ the small ones that are two per package.

I know it'll cook quickly and I just looked up a recipe that calls for apple chunks, apple jelly & basalmic vinegar.

I had already decided to make some German Potato Salad to go with the pork. The vinegary dressing on the potato salad should go well with the apples & basalmic vinegar on the pork.

174April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I had one of my facts wrong. Kingsford was a real estate agent who found Ford large tract of land for a supply of wood. Kingsford's wife was a cousin of Ford. Early cars  used a wood in the frame, dashboard, running board, and spokes and Ford used the sawdust from the wood to make briquets. Ford hated the idea of all that waste sawdust and wood stumps.  Edison designed a factory next to the sawmill to make them and Kingsford ran it.

I sat here stunned, as I kept thinking I read this recently but wracked my brain to try and figure out where I could have possibly read this, Norm!  (I remember the wood being used as the car parts and the sawdust and leftover wood being used to make charcoal.)

It was making me crazy but I think it may have been in an email from the Virtual Weber website.  I found it very interesting and loved that you shared it, though it did indeed drive me crazy for a while. Loved the photo -- I presumed the men were named left to right but laughed, as the only one I was SURE of was Harding, as I remember his girth!

Thanks, Norm. You always impress me as a very interesting man.  One who is a fantastic cook, too. And one whose nightly tables put mine to shame. On this note, I showed Brian a picture of one of your "spreads" recently and he, too, was impressed. We laughed at ourselves, always serving from the stove if it's just us. Too bad I wasn't influenced by you earlier in life. Now I'm just too lazy and hurting too bad to even think of doing what you do pretty much nightly -- though I'll stick with claiming it's due to pain and not laziness!!! Embarassed

175April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 7 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle ~ when you want to grill something (as opposed to using your smoker), DO give the hardwood chunk charcoal a try.  I found Royal Oak readily available at Winn Dixie and Wal Mart for $10/large bag.  What's great is that it is about 1/3 the weight of a big bag of Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes.  Seriously easier to handle (although you still really should use gloves if you don't want black hands for a week.....).  The Kingsford (IMO) still has a slight petroleum odor to me, probably some ingredient to get it to hold together in the little brick shape.  The Royal Oak doesn't seem to have any flavor to impart to the food except the yummy crust you get from that wood fire.  The first time I used it for my marinated flank steak really took my breath away ~ it was SO much better than on the gas grill.

Do you think your marinated flank steak would've tasted better with regular charcoal than it did cooked on the gas grill, Beth? I'm betting it would have. I guess it was the crust was what you were impressed by. Thanks for the info, as I had no clue it was lighter than regular charcoal, which would defnitely be a plus for both of us.

I'll try to see if I see a bag of it at Rouse's, where we regularly shop. I swore off Walmart years ago (after Katrina) when I decided they could GIVE groceries away and I still wouldn't go there. I admit detesting Winn Dixie, too, but I do occasionally stop there as they do BOGO on meat, whereas Rouse's doesn't do that. I am reminded every time I go there why I no longer go there. Plus they're a lot pricier than Rouse's too. I've learned not to throw a couple of things in my cart as I meander back to the BOGO meat, as I cannot tell you how many times they no longer have the darn item and then I have to wait for someone who moves in slow motion to go to Customer Service to get me a raincheck. (It once took the idiot 12 minutes to get it while I stood there and waited; I stewed the whole time, too!) I'm often tempted to just leave all my items in the cart and just walk out but I'm too nice a person to do that. So now I go straight to the meat counter and get the heck out of there once I get it.

Anyway, I'll bet Rouse's has one brand or the other. I'll try and remember to get the Royal Oak over the Kingsmill if I can. I read recently, Beth, that there's a small amount of people (I think it was around12 percent) in the population that discerns cilantro as soapy tasting due to an enzyme they have. I thought of you. I again thought of this when you said you detected the slight petroleum odor in the Kingsmill, too. I doubt I would notice that but I'll remember to get the Royal Oak if I can.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum