Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper?

+4
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

101April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Img_0831

I got a lot of toys, because I'm Good! .... Even at a year and a half.
I know where the batteries go, and I know where to get them for Great Grandpa to put them in.
April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 911454047

102April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Such a cutie!

103April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Such a cutie!

Thanks Beth! I forget, he's only a 1-1/2 year old baby, and I ask Tina why he doesn't talk words yet? He knows what we ask him, but everything said by him is ugh ... ook .... uck ( for truck ) Tina said, once he starts, he will never stop!

104April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to grill burgers today since it was $2.99 Ground Chuck @ Fresh Market day.....but they had some beautiful gulf shrimp on sale so the burgers will be another day (they're pattied up and in the freezer). I asked Dane what he wanted with the shrimp and he said he wanted grilled carrots......What the heck is he talking about, I thought. But, hey, I'm always up for a challenge.

So, I cut up the rainbow carrots I had in the refrigerator and steamed them in the microwave until just tender. Then I put some butter on to coat and laid them on the hot grill pan. They got nice and caramelized and were really quite tasty. At supper I inquired, "How do you like the grilled carrots?" And that's when he 'remembered' he really meant pan roasted in the oven with evoo and seasonings........ But at least I got to experiment and it was tasty.

The shrimps got a drizzle of evoo and a good shake of Cajun seasoning before going on the grill. I mixed up some of his 'beet horseradish' with ketchup as a dipping sauce and it came out almost a neon red color ~ what a hoot!

And the bakery roll was my treat to ME for shopping at Fresh Market today......that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

The rainbow carrots are such interesting colors!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 04_17_10

I even remembered to soak the bamboo skewers so they didn't flame up into a forest fire on the grill!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 04_17_11

Way too much supper......

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 04_17_12

105April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:22 pm

NormM

NormM

I read everyone's comments about tomato sauce and meatballs and decided to get both some Paul Newman's and Trader Joe's and see which one I liked better. I have not tried the Paul Newmans yet but I cooked raw meatballs in Trader Joe's sauce for close to two hours. Charlie has not had much of an appetite lately but he had two full servings.April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 20180417

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

106April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I read everyone's comments about tomato sauce and meatballs and decided to get both some Paul Newman's and Trader Joe's and see which one I liked better. I have not tried the Paul Newmans yet but I cooked raw meatballs in Trader Joe's sauce for close to two hours.  Charlie has not had much of an appetite lately but he had two full servings.April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 20180417

Ats a nice dish of shpa-ghetts ya got there lad! April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 3593629538

107April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was going to grill burgers today since it was $2.99 Ground Chuck @ Fresh Market day.....but they had some beautiful gulf shrimp on sale so the burgers will be another day (they're pattied up and in the freezer).  I asked Dane what he wanted with the shrimp and he said he wanted grilled carrots......What the heck is he talking about, I thought.  But, hey, I'm always up for a challenge.  

So, I cut up the rainbow carrots I had in the refrigerator and steamed them in the microwave until just tender.  Then I put some butter on to coat and laid them on the hot grill pan.  They got nice and caramelized and were really quite tasty.  At supper I inquired, "How do you like the grilled carrots?"  And that's when he 'remembered' he really meant pan roasted in the oven with evoo and seasonings........  But at least I got to experiment and it was tasty.

The shrimps got a drizzle of evoo and a good shake of Cajun seasoning before going on the grill.  I mixed up some of his 'beet horseradish' with ketchup as a dipping sauce and it came out almost a neon red color ~ what a hoot!

And the bakery roll was my treat to ME for shopping at Fresh Market today......that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

The rainbow carrots are such interesting colors!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 04_17_10

I even remembered to soak the bamboo skewers so they didn't flame up into a forest fire on the grill!

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 04_17_11

Way too much supper......

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 04_17_12

Wow!.... that's a Whale of a Meal there Lass!
That fresh roll is a drool causer for me.

I had steamed Cod in a wine butter sauce and a stale hot dog roll as a pusher.

108April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Jimmy

109April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm

NormM

NormM

we had an early dinner and I will probably have some more later.  It's a Fish Stew.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 20180418

110April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:we had an early dinner and I will probably have some more later.  It's a Fish Stew.

April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 20180418

Boy! .... I could surely go bobbing with my face into that meal! Some crusty bread to go with it, and it would be heaven.

111April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:31 pm

NormM

NormM

It is one of my favorites too Jimmy

112April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A really quick great tasting; simple supper.
Sloppy Joe's ..... "Cousin Donna's Sloppy Joes"

1 Lb ground beef browned with chopped small onion
Drain off fat ( grease ) , add 1 can tomato soup; saLT and pepper.
Simmer 15 minutes, stir and cover and let set for 10 minutes before serving.
I had mine on hot dog buns. ( didn't have burger buns ). Actually, they were easier to eat and not as sloppy as on the burger rolls.

113April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here for a couple days. Yesterday I drove Lyn to Orlando to have one of their cars serviced and then we spend the day at the malls and Trader Joe's or Costco. We had lunch at PF Chang's ~ we usually split an order of the fried green beans and lettuce wraps but saw a new Tempura Shrimp & Vegetables w/ Fried Rice on the lunch menu and, remembering Norm's luscious looking tempura, we both ordered that.

It's been a long while since I've had deep fried anything.....it was SO, SO good ~ but when I got home later in the evening, my body decided to let me know I had messed up. I think I'll lay off fried foods for a while, a long while! LOL

Since I was going to be gone all day Dane decided to go to his sister's and try to repair a couple things around her house. Then he takes her out for a meal and they have a good time. They went to one of the restaurants on the St. John's River, always a peaceful choice, and had the opportunity to see a rocket launch from The Cape - someone was at the restaurant and had some special radio that let them know when the rocket was launched. Then you can see the 'smoke' and the glint of the sun shining on the rocket, although it's too far away to see the actual rocket. But they both enjoyed witnessing it take off.

114April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:A really quick great tasting; simple supper.
Sloppy Joe's ..... "Cousin Donna's Sloppy Joes"

1 Lb ground beef browned with chopped small onion
Drain off fat ( grease ) , add 1 can tomato soup; saLT and pepper.
Simmer 15 minutes, stir and cover and let set for 10 minutes before serving.
I had mine on hot dog buns. ( didn't have burger buns ). Actually, they were easier to eat and not as sloppy as on the burger rolls.

I had to laugh when I read this, Jimmy. When I was growing up my Mom made Sloppy Joes with ground beef, a can of tomato soup and a can of cream of mushroom soup.....ladled on a bun and a handful of potato chips (if we were lucky enough to have them at meal time) and that was supper. It was the only kind of Sloppy Joe I knew. When Dane & I got married I made Sloppy Joes for him. He took one taste and asked, "WHAT is this????" I told him and he said, "No way ~ next time I'll make them and show you how it's done....."

So that's when I found there was more than one recipe for just about anything......LOL

It wasn't long before I found out the difference between real butter and the Imperial Margarine Mom always bought. I found out that Miracle Whip WASN'T mayonnaise and that Velveeta wasn't the only 'cheese' ~ and actually wasn't cheese at all!

Hahahahahahaaaaaa!

115April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No cooking here for a couple days.  Yesterday I drove Lyn to Orlando to have one of their cars serviced and then we spend the day at the malls and Trader Joe's or Costco.  We had lunch at PF Chang's ~ we usually split an order of the fried green beans and lettuce wraps but saw a new Tempura Shrimp & Vegetables w/ Fried Rice on the lunch menu and, remembering Norm's luscious looking tempura, we both ordered that.  

It's been a long while since I've had deep fried anything.....it was SO, SO good ~ but when I got home later in the evening, my body decided to let me know I had messed up.  I think I'll lay off fried foods for a while, a long while!  LOL

Since I was going to be gone all day Dane decided to go to his sister's and try to repair a couple things around her house.  Then he takes her out for a meal and they have a good time.  They went to one of the restaurants on the St. John's River, always a peaceful choice, and had the opportunity to see a rocket launch from The Cape - someone was at the restaurant and had some special radio that let them know when the rocket was launched.  Then you can see the 'smoke' and the glint of the sun shining on the rocket, although it's too far away to see the actual rocket.  But they both enjoyed witnessing it take off.

Oh Yeah! .... that's the way we grew up. It was corn, and nothing BUT corn. Hamburgers, and NO Hot dogs, or visa versa.
French Fries didn't come frozen either. Mom would peel and slice her own, and that is IF she had enough cooking oil to fry in. There were no fry daddy's either.
Tina had a fried chicken dinner yesterday, and she's suffering today.

116April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I know it is all about the tomatoes with Italian sauces but how does the sauce taste with just salt and pepper? Just doesn't seem like it would taste like much without some basil and oregano and garlic, but maybe the six hour cook does something. Tell me more about the sauce taste. I am really curious.

I thought the same thing, Debbie, as I'd personally never make red sauce without garlic and other seasonings, and I'd also never make it from puree either. I don't even like making sauce from crushed tomatoes, as to me it just gets too thick and pasty. I make mine from whole peeled tomatoes. I am often surprised when I copy a recipe from a magazine, even a cooking magazine I really enjoy and admire, and it includes no seasonings BESIDE salt and pepper -- no herbs. I always add the herbs I think go in a dish or to me, it tastes kind of flat. I often wondered if everyone else who makes a recipe like that find it bland. Down here food is so heavily seasoned (and I don't mean with just pepper) that I can't imagine making just about anything with just salt and pepper, you know? But I often see recipes posted on sites without anything except salt and pepper and sometimes wonder if lots of people do that. But then I also read reviews of recipes and see where manyf people are like me and add their favorite seasonings and herbs so I figure I'm not the only one who makes recipes "my own"...

I don't know if you read what I typed before the recipe, but I never made this. I posted it the same day I copied it -- I just wanted it because (1) my late father used to love Toney's and (2) I liked the idea of using a kind of loose meatball mix as a filling.

I've NEVER cooked a sauce for six hours either.

117April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Norm, I want to live next door to you!

I NEVER do anything deep fried.....way too much mess for me.

Well, I take that back ~ IF the electric skillet will do and the weather is nice with no rain, I'll do a little bit out on the patio.  But I practically have to wash down the kitchen cabinets from all the grease that's floating in the air.  It probably has to do with me not having the correct temperature.((sigh))

I did it rarely as well -- and when I did, I used to do it in a wok outside on the gas burner setup we used for outdoor crab and crawfish boils (or that some use to fry a turkey). I have NEVER deep fried anything in my life inside the house, but then we didn't grow up eating very much fried food. Once chicken places opened up, my mom never fried chicken again. And when she used to do it, she didn't do it in a very deep pot like lots of people but say in a big cast iron frying pan with about 2 inches of oil in it (the cast iron pan she used was about the depth of an electric skillet).

My dad, I think I've said before, a lover of gizmos and gadgets, purchased a Fry Daddy when those came out and he would fry things like stuffed shrimp, stuffed crab claws, fried oysters, etc. in it. There was a local fish monger who used to sell prepared seafood items like the stuffed shrimp that you'd purchase and cook at home. Ooh, they were sooo good.

Occasionally, he'd fry some French fries in it, too. The good thing about those was that you could store the used oil in it, though it would've been better if he strained it after using it and then stored it. We didn't store it too long, I know that. My mom was fine with that, as long as she didn't have to do the frying. When they came out with an even bigger Fry Daddy, he bought one of those, too. We liked it, as he was a good fry cook and since we had fried food so seldom AND because Benny's made such good seafood items to take home tofry, it was always something I enjoyed.

Question: After you guys fry something, how do you dispose of the grease? I know you're not supposed to put it in a can and then put it in the trash once it solidifies as it'll end up in the landfill and I know we're not supposed to do that anymore. What are you supposed to do with it anyway? I know restaurants have it picked up and disposed of but I have no clue what a homeowner is supposed to do with it.

118April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:No cooking here today, I had a salad of romaine, red pepper, tomato, parsley, snap peas, cucumber, shrimp and feta............... not cooked, but I baked a cake.  My sis has had two days of radiation for the breast cancer which has spread to her spine, and she loves poppyseed cake.  So, I baked one for her.

Your salad sounds good, Lore. Nice and fresh sounding, especially with the snap peas.

119April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 pm

NormM

NormM

I saved oil I used in a glass jar with a snap ring closure after it cooled. With leftover oil that I need to dispose of, I put a very big squeeze of detergent in it and turn on the water so it mixes with it and makes it all water soluble, and let it go down the drain a little at a time. I don't know if that is OK or not but they add detergent to oil spills to make them less 'oily'.

120April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:My dad use to love, Love, LOVE making a 'baked bean' sandwich. He would come in to take a break from plowing or planting and would want a fast lunch. He would open a can of Van de Camp beans and spoon the beans on a couple hot dog buns. That was it ~ straight out of the can and nothing added.

My mom was kind of like that, too. She'd eat something that should be reheated right out of the ice box and would've enjoyed your dad's beans on a hot dog bun, Beth.

121April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have never been able to make a sauce as good as Newman's Own.  I don't try any more.  I like to leave some stuff to the experts.

I've never tried a sauce in a jar that I liked. Tried Newman's and didn't care for that either. Wish I could find one we liked but I stopped trying years ago. To be honest, I think the last one we did try was Newman's Own. I recently heard that in her latest cookbook, Ina Garten named the brand that she uses. But Brian reminded me we probably wouldn't like that one either,,, confused

122April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:I jus wonder about cooking the sauce for 6 hours... Two hours is the max for me... the patent without garlic, oregano, ?onions, concerns me....

Wonder how it tastes....

Anyone Try it?? sounds good otherwise..

Like I said when I posted it, I'd make my own sauce. Didn't sound good to me no matter how long you cooked it. And I'd not make a sauce from canned puree either. But to each his/her own.

123April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:What? No mineral oil?

Haaaaaaaaa! NO. Not today!    I don't know what the heck I was thinking of when I wrote that.  No

You were probably thinking of the cod liver oil she made you and brother swallow so you wouldn't get sick........YUCK!!!

My mom said she had to take that as a child for a while. She said that reason alone was the reason she'd never make us kids take it! I was an upchucker, too (still am), so it would've probably come right back up if she had.

Reminds me of the original "mother's little helper" -- Geritol!!!

124April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I had to laugh when I read this, Jimmy.  When I was growing up my Mom made Sloppy Joes with ground beef, a can of tomato soup and a can of cream of mushroom soup.....ladled on a bun and a handful of potato chips (if we were lucky enough to have them at meal time) and that was supper.  It was the only kind of Sloppy Joe I knew.  When Dane & I got married I made Sloppy Joes for him.  He took one taste and asked, "WHAT is this????"  I told him and he said, "No way ~ next time I'll make them and show you how it's done....."

So that's when I found there was more than one recipe for just about anything......LOL

It wasn't long before I found out the difference between real butter and the Imperial Margarine Mom always bought.  I found out that Miracle Whip WASN'T mayonnaise and that Velveeta wasn't the only 'cheese' ~ and actually wasn't  cheese at all!  

Hahahahahahaaaaaa!

Laughed, Beth. I think I remember your saying you'd only had Minute Rice, too, and thought that was just "rice" -- and I'd never ever had Minute Rice until I was in my 30s, I rink. I think it was you, wasn't it? My mom spoke of it once when we saw an ad for it on TV and asked her why her rice took about 20 or 25 minutes. She told us it was pre-cooked rice and said she didn't care for it because it didn't absorb as much gravy as real rice.

125April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? - Page 5 Empty Re: April, 2018 ~ What's for supper? Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:39 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Hey, Beth -- what's the story on the 'gas-grill-made-into-charcoal-grill'? Is that the gas grill you got from Lyn?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum