Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2017, What's for Dinner ?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

226December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and Katie brought home some poke bowls after her doctor's appointment. No cooking for me tonight.

227December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

I picked up the carcass from my son and daughter-in-law's turkey dinner.................... they don't want to deal with it. Obviously, my children don't have the concept of making a turkey stretch to make other meals. I cut 3 pounds of meat off before I put the rest into my big roasting pan and in the oven. My large stock pot wasn't big enough. I think there will be turkey pot pie, turkey stew, turkey soup!

228December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love having a turkey carcass. You can do so much with it. I usually make some gravy and freeze it for the next turkey dinner.

Today was 80 degrees out here. Can you believe it? I was actually hot. Looks like great weather for the parade. Cruising Colorado Blvd. on New Years Eve in your hot rod or fancy car has always been a fun thing to do. Not anymore. Because of the threat of someone driving into the crowds Pasadena is going to block off the street at 10PM. Too bad but better safe than sorry. Someone on "You know you are from old school Pasadena" Facebook page said there is talk about moving the cruise a few blocks way where no one is camping on the street. Sound like a good alternative.
I have a slow cooker out on the patio working on a batch of French onion soup. I should be read by tomorrow night.
I also made a lasagna Bolognese for dinner that we will eat sometime in the next couple of days.

229December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a whole chicken yesterday so I could make a roast chicken supper today.

To me, there's just about nothing finer than a well roasted chicken. I hope I do it right tonight.....

Chicken is in the oven ~ lemon, onion, thyme & celery tops stuffed inside, thyme under the breast skin and on top and liberally sprinkled with s&p. It's trussed a bit with string to hold the legs & wings close and on a small rack in a low pan.....at 425 for half an hour before I put some carrots, onions and potatoes around the edges of the roasting pan. Whether or not I make a gravy depends upon my mood when it comes out in an hour.....

230December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:When I went to Sam's Club for my Christmas beef they also had some nice American Wild Caught U-15 shrimp.  A lot of the time they only carry farm raised from other countries so I wait until they have the US wild caught gulf shrimp.

So, tonight I made some fried shrimp, crispy potato crowns and lima beans.  The shrimp got sloshed in some buttermilk, soy & sambal oeleck (chili paste) and then tossed around in some rice flour.  The rice flour makes a really light and crispy coating as opposed to a heavy batter.  I considered just doing a pan saute but really had my heart set on deep fried.  I wasn't disappointed ~ they were done just right!

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 12_28_10

They LOOK GOOD, too, Beth. I agree re the rice flour -- nice and crispy is perfect.  If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay at Sam's Club for a pound of those?  Were they fresh or frozen?

One more question:  What are potato crowns?  They look like x-large tater tots but better.  But I never heard that moniker before...

We never had a Sam's Club card before though this afternoon, Al, who was over putting switchplates on the switches in the kitchen, told me he has one.  By the way, I had him howling about the Cabana Boy story too -- Brian and I were laughing all over again over it, too.  

And look what Al sent me when he got home?

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Cabana11

231December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

They LOOK GOOD, too, Beth. I agree re the rice flour -- nice and crispy is perfect.  If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay at Sam's Club for a pound of those?  Were they fresh or frozen?

One more question:  What are potato crowns?  They look like x-large tater tots but better.  But I never heard that moniker before...

We never had a Sam's Club card before though this afternoon, Al, who was over putting switchplates on the switches in the kitchen, told me he has one.  By the way, I had him howling about the Cabana Boy story too -- Brian and I were laughing all over again over it, too.  

And look what Al sent me when he got home?

I think the shrimps were $10/lb.....2 lb. for $20, U-15, frozen ~ however, I don't mind since they were US wild caught.  Oh, and they were really tasty, too!

The potato crowns are Ore Ida (I usually find them at WalMart) - just like a smashed tater tot.  Easier to brown up in a pan or in the oven because of the flat sides instead of rolly poly tots.

232December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was excellent.....although I like my 'vertical' roasted chicken better. It gets the skin all nice and crispy all around and all the fat runs out.

But there were no complaints. I had texted Lyn to see if they wanted to come for supper. They got back from their cruise from Rome to Barcelona last night. They're both exhausted and she's fighting a cold. I truly understand her wanting to stay in the house and in her own bed to rest for a couple days. So, it was just the two of us and it was way too much chicken. But I'll use the breast meat for a couple meals (might even freeze some) and I'll clean off the bones for bits for Dane's lunch soup that he makes on his own.

The chicken looked pretty good as it came out of the oven. I let it rest for about 15 minutes before I cut into it so the juices would settle.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 12_29_11

Doesn't look like much on the table but there's no sense in putting the whole bird there....

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 12_29_12

I ended up making gravy after all. It was so good on the vegetables!

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 12_29_13

233December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Duplicate.

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

234December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Duplicate.

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

235December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I picked up the carcass from my son and daughter-in-law's turkey dinner.................... they don't want to deal with it.  Obviously, my children don't have the concept of making a turkey stretch to make other meals.  I cut 3 pounds of meat off before I put the rest into my big roasting pan and in the oven.  My large stock pot wasn't big enough.   I think there will be turkey pot pie, turkey stew, turkey soup!  

I'm always amazed here, too, Lore, by how many people say they don't want to deal with it.  Brian's office used to have a Thanksgiving "pot luck" at the office the week before Thanksgiving (THAT I never understood, as they all brought the same foods most of us have on T-Day) and Brian always smoked a turkey and brought it.  There were always tons of leftovers which they could tear into for the rest of the week but Brian would always ask for that turkey carcass once they finished stripping that puppy clean.

They usually each got a frozen turkey the following week from some vendor they dealt with for the holiday.  If there was an extra turkey dropped off, as there often was, his co-workers would always insist Brian take it, since he was their official turkey smoker!  It worked out great, as we'd store his, and the extra one, right in his office freezer until we were ready for it.  He worked there 19 years prior to retiring and they all laughed when he left, as they said he'd smoked them at least 16 or 17 turkeys, as it took them a while to decide to hold the pot lucks and discover he was quite talented with a smoker!

236December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I think the shrimps were $10/lb.....2 lb. for $20, U-15, frozen ~ however, I don't mind since they were US wild caught.  Oh, and they were really tasty, too!

There's nothing wrong with frozen! I was just curious as to how Sam's was selling them.

bethk wrote:The potato crowns are Ore Ida (I usually find them at WalMart) - just like a smashed tater tot.  Easier to brown up in a pan or in the oven because of the flat sides instead of rolly poly tots.

I never was a big fan of tater tots -- I don't think I ever even had them until about the last 10 years or so. I was amazed last night while watching Top Chef when one of the chefs made tater tots for a kids menu -- I wouldn't even know how to go about making a tater tot, as I thought they were just "invented" by frozen food companies. They taste like potato "air" to me -- just like there's nothing in there at all -- not bad tasting just not too much of a taste at all. I do think I would like them a bit more if they were indeed browned, though.

Same thing with hush puppies. I never had those until after I was out of high school; they came on my plate as a side dish in a local seafood restaurant. People say they're very Southern but you never saw them in New Orleans restaurants. Some people love 'em but to me, they hardly taste like anything, like a tater tot to me. I do seem to be in the minority, though, as I do hear people saying "Mmmmmm" about both tater tots and hush puppies.

237December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your chicken dinner looked delicious. I agree with your earlier statement that there's hardly anything better than a perfectly roasted chicken.

I think I mentioned the other day that I picked up a chicken from WD before Christmas when I went to get the rib roast that was 11+ pounds! It was a stewing chicken but I never see a roaster anymore and if you do, it's tiny. But I roasted that puppy and it came out divine. I was worried it would be tough but it was tender AND moist. In fact, I just told Brian tonight that it's on tomorrow's menu to finish up. My back was killing me the other night so Brian brought me up a chicken sandwich for dinner he'd made with sliced tomato and provolone on it (it was made well, too, with chicken on both sides of the tomato so it didn't soak the bread!). It tasted so good that I commented on how good the deli meat was that we get from the Base and he laughed and reminded me it was from the roast chicken I'd made.

Tonight we finished up the last of the rib roast, beef fried rice and broiled tomatoes. I even had a little bit of Christmas sauce still left, too, for the meat...

238December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

If I had been at your house for Christmas dinner there wouldn't have been any of the Christmas sauce leftover.....

Just sayin'

239December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I drove to Albertson's to get a .47 cents/lb frozen turkey and they didn't get any. I called a couple more stores and one told me they would sell me another brand for the same price. Albertson's is notorious for advertising sales on items that they don't have. Drives me crazy. The Albertsons near me is a dump. The Albertson's in the rich area is really nice. I felt like I didn't belong there.
It was 83 today and I actually started sweating in the car. I made some mediocre French onion soup for tonight. I just can't seem to find a good recipe that compares with some restaurant's soups.
I stopped by a new store today called The Grocery Outlet. It did have some good prices but it also had many "oddball" items like Haagen-Daz tangerine vanilla ice cream and other food items that didn't go over too well. Next stop is Aldi's.

240December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm

NormM

NormM

We had that chicken tandoori a couple days ago and with the chicken I didn't use for stock, I breaded the breasts and we had them with pasta, alfredo sauce and vegetables. December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 20171230

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

241December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a spatula flop flip on the dish of leftover lasagna. Today was watch the baby day;
so there was no cooking.

It's 14 degrees here now.....and all there is to do, is keep warm! And Eat! LOL

242December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We had that chicken tandoori a couple days ago and with the chicken I didn't use for stock, I breaded the breasts and we had them with pasta, alfredo sauce and vegetables. December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 20171230

Looks good Norm. .... BTW, Looks like you dropped quite a few pounds. Your Skip a Lunch diet is working I see!

243December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I picked up the carcass from my son and daughter-in-law's turkey dinner.................... they don't want to deal with it.  Obviously, my children don't have the concept of making a turkey stretch to make other meals.  I cut 3 pounds of meat off before I put the rest into my big roasting pan and in the oven.  My large stock pot wasn't big enough.   I think there will be turkey pot pie, turkey stew, turkey soup!  

I'm always amazed here, too, Lore, by how many people say they don't want to deal with it.  Brian's office used to have a Thanksgiving "pot luck" at the office the week before Thanksgiving (THAT I never understood, as they all brought the same foods most of us have on T-Day) and Brian always smoked a turkey and brought it.  There were always tons of leftovers which they could tear into for the rest of the week but Brian would always ask for that turkey carcass once they finished stripping that puppy clean.

They usually each got a frozen turkey the following week from some vendor they dealt with for the holiday.  If there was an extra turkey dropped off, as there often was, his co-workers would always insist Brian take it, since he was their official turkey smoker!  It worked out great, as we'd store his, and the extra one, right in his office freezer until we were ready for it.  He worked there 19 years prior to retiring and they all laughed when he left, as they said he'd smoked them at least 16 or 17 turkeys, as it took them a while to decide to hold the pot lucks and discover he was quite talented with a smoker!

There were always tons of leftovers which they could tear into for the rest of the week but Brian would always ask for that turkey carcass once they finished stripping that puppy clean.

OMG.... December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 2876911673  December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 2876911673  "Puppy??" That is the first time I heard a turkey called a puppy!" hahahahahahaha. Did it ever howl or bark?
So funny

244December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:30 am

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy. I loose a few and gain a few. Thankfully I usually lose one or two more than I gain.

245December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My onion soup turned out better than I had hoped. Both Katie and Joe said it was as good as a restaurant. That's good because it took 18 hours to cook. I just loaded the onions in a slow cooker and set it on low for 12 hours. Then I added garlic, thyme, bay, wine and a tablespoon of balsamic. I let that cook for another 6 hours and then threw the soup on the stove and reduced the broth and added a roux to add some body to the soup. I think next time I will reduce the broth before adding it to the onions. That canned beef broth is weak. I added a couple of spoonfuls of Better Than Bouillon and 1/4 cup Burgundy which was good. Now I have to type my recipe into my software before I forget how I did it. I used an inexpensive gruyere from Trader Joe's to top the soup and found I can really tell the difference between that and the expensive imported brand. Next time I will use the good stuff.

246December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had a suggestion for supper tonight and I could see no reason to refuse.....he wanted grilled salmon. Unfortunately, the grill didn't want to cooperate.

So, he ended up with pan fried salmon and I had pan fried cod (I'm not a lover of salmon). Made a baked potato and green beans to go on the side.

He didn't think he could eat the whole 12 oz. filet, but what he thought and what he did didn't match!

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 12_30_10

My cod fell apart in the pan, but it was still good tasting ~ no coating, just some s&p.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 12_30_11

247December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cats are so funny. Sometimes you know exactly what they are trying to tell you. Joe put down a plate of food for Lauren, Katie's lynx point Himalayan. Lauren took one sniff and tried to cover it up. LOL. We know what she thought her dinner smelled like.
I am finally getting around to feeding Joe the lasagna Bolognese that I made a couple of days ago. Katie will have to have leftovers since she won't eat beef or pork. Warm again to day - about 78. I feel sorry for all those people that live in areas that are way below zero. I couldn't do it. I couldn't drive in it. I would kill myself.

248December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A casserole we call "Mikes Casserole!"  Only because our friend Mike won't eat it.
Plussss! Tina made a chocolate pudding pie, with bananas inside.
I am too full to eat dessert now. Later!

I have pictures of the supper......December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Mikes_12

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Mikes_10

249December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm

NormM

NormM

I started to go to the store yesterday and got half a block before I realized I had a flat tire. I parked in the driveway and got in the truck. Dead battery. Somebody had left the glove box open and the light in it drained the battery. I have a battery charger but it was dead too and took a couple hours to get it charged. It was way too cold to take off the tire and I did the least shopping I needed to. Charlie said he'd take off the tire and get it fixed or changed but would do it today since it was too cold. I went to K Mart and got some groceries and a pair of jeans. The jeans was a size smaller than I usually get and they fit !Smile Charlie had taken off the tire by the time I got back and today is even colder than yesterday. It was brutal just walking into the store from the parking lot. Charlie took the tire to Walmart but the tire needs to be changed and they said it would be a week before they could get one. Charlie said there was a 5 hour line waiting for tires. He took it to a Firestone across the street and they can't fix it until tomorrow. We had Chinese take out for supper. I plan a rib roast for tomorrow and ham hock for New Years.

250December 2017, What's for Dinner ? - Page 10 Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, you didn't have one of your better days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum