Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2017, What's for Dinner ?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No ideas yet, but .... definitely NO MORE SOUP!

I do have visions of ( no..not sugar plums ) sausages or pork tenderloin cooked in onions with potato wedges. This would go great with a side of pierogies, and applesauce to eat with the pork.

2December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight will be the leftover beef pot roast/gravy turned into a 'Cottage Pie' of sorts. I'll have to make some mashed potatoes but I figure I can cut up the leftover green beans and the carrots from the roast to mix in. Put it all in a casserole dish and spoon some potatoes over top. Maybe I'll just make some boiled potato thick slices to lay on top and let it brown under the broiler for something different.

Leftover pot roast is always a favorite here.

3December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Can't beat pot roast. Sounds so good to me Beth.
Mommy Tina went to church in another town, and on way home, she is going to stop at Hot Dog Johnny's. A famous hot dog hut, that is a must to stop at when on the highway 46. They make them roasted, on a hd bun with yellow mustard, onions chopped, and a sliver of a pickle.

I threw a few breaded frozen shrimp in the toaster oven too!..... A bottle of beer, and I will be all set!

4December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll bet your Hot Dog Johnny's is a Greek descent who imigrated here and opened a small shop that people fell in love with. We had Charlie's Greek Hot Dogs, Coney Island and a couple others in the Toledo area. Their sauce is much like yours ~ YUM!

I love it when a plan comes together as I plan in my mind. I know I've mentioned I really don't like leftovers much but we always seem to have them because I cook too much for just the two of us. But it's hard to make a pot roast for two.....

So, I decided to use the leftovers that I prepped on pot roast night. I shredded the beef and removed any excess fat, smushed up the onions in the gravy and sliced the leftover carrots. Tonight I added some leftover green beans, cut smaller and added some frozen peas to make a beef stew type base. Then I made some fresh mashed potatoes to spoon on top of the casserole dish. I preheated the casserole in the microwave so it wouldn't overcook in the oven and then, when it was starting to get bubbly, I spooned on the mashed potatoes. Let it all bake for about another 20 minutes and supper was done.

Now, darn it all anyway ~ I have leftover - leftovers. Hopefully HE will decide to have some for a lunch. Otherwise, come trash day, I'll toss it when he's not looking.

Way too big Cottage Pie Casserole:

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Cottag10

I ate all I could ~ I'm glad I had as much gravy as I did to keep it all moist.
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Beef_c10

5December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie went to the store last night. He got cookies, ice cream, chips a cheese dip and two great big steaks. So we had steaks and oven fries for dinner. Cookies for dessert. There is enough steak leftover for sandwiches tomorrow. Maybe some steak Bahn Mi sandwiches. The convection oven got it's first use with the oven fries.December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 20171210
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 20171211

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wow.....BIG steaks! Charlie is like, "Me MAN ~ want MEAT!" Hahahahaha

Looks like the convection oven did a great job on the fries. They look golden and crispy, just the way they should be.

Even though Charlie went a little overboard on the steaks, Bahn Mi sandwiches sound really good. Maybe you could make some homemade buns since your meal is already planned and you have to wait for the vegetables to pickle.....just a suggestion. ((I mean, this is for Charlie. I know how much he loves your bread!))

7December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 am

NormM

NormM

Hmmm. That's a thought. Maybe I will make some buns.

8December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Aren't you glad you thought about it???

LOL

9December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:27 pm

NormM

NormM

Bread is rising now. I always have the best ideas. Smile

10December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'll bet your Hot Dog Johnny's is a Greek descent who imigrated here and opened a small shop that people fell in love with.  We had Charlie's Greek Hot Dogs, Coney Island and a couple others in the Toledo area.  Their sauce is much like yours ~ YUM!

I love it when a plan comes together as I plan in my mind.  I know I've mentioned I really don't like leftovers much but we always seem to have them because I cook too much for just the two of us.  But it's hard to make a pot roast for two.....

So, I decided to use the leftovers that I prepped on pot roast night.  I shredded the beef and removed any excess fat, smushed up the onions in the gravy and sliced the leftover carrots.  Tonight I added some leftover green beans, cut smaller and added some frozen peas to make a beef stew type base.  Then I made some fresh mashed potatoes to spoon on top of the casserole dish.  I preheated the casserole in the microwave so it wouldn't overcook in the oven and then, when it was starting to get bubbly, I spooned on the mashed potatoes.  Let it all bake for about another 20 minutes and supper was done.

Now, darn it all anyway ~ I have leftover - leftovers.  Hopefully HE will decide to have some for a lunch.  Otherwise, come trash day, I'll toss it when he's not looking.

Way too big Cottage Pie Casserole:

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Cottag10

I ate all I could ~ I'm glad I had as much gravy as I did to keep it all moist.
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Beef_c10

I'll bet your Hot Dog Johnny's is a Greek descent who imigrated here and opened a small shop that people fell in love with.

I don't think there was any Greek in this place. Hot dog Johnny was in business in 1944.
A small shack, and later a grove picnic area to stop and drink root beer in frosted mugs.
No chilli dogs there. Plain Ole American Hot Dogs. Period.

11December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Bread is rising now. I always have the best ideas. Smile

Don't the steaks spatter all over the stove with no cover? I fry in the cast iron pan, and the whole stove gets spattered with grease!

12December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Bread is rising now. I always have the best ideas. Smile

Yup....you ALWAYS come up with the most fabulous ideas!  Smile  Smile  Smile

Quick question, Norm: How do you season the Bahn Mi vegetables? I'm thinking I could 'rinse' off the cranberry bbq sauce from my leftover pork and sliver the pork and make a sort of Bahn Mi sandwich. I would, however, go to the store and purchase a couple fresh bakery sub buns (I'm so lame about baking bread ~ it's a mental block, I'm sure). I've tried a couple times to pickle the vegetables but they never came out the way I thought they should taste. Need some advice on the 'real deal'......

13December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Since Katie is in Washington, I am going to feed Joe a steak, baked potato and a Caesar salad. I doubt if I will eat.

14December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper ......was a bust as far as Mr. Amazing was concerned. I had lemons fresh from the tree and decided to make Chicken Picata. I thought it came out really tasty. The sharp notes of the lemon juice and tart capers complimented the chicken cutlets nicely. However, HE didn't care for it, stating:

1.) Oh, WOW, too much lemon!
2.) This is really too lemony for me.
3.) I don't like lemon.
4.) Don't make this for me again.
5.) (I stated I only make it once a year, to which he replied) Well, don't make it for me next year!
and finally,
6.) If you ever make this again, take my chicken out before you put in the lemon......

OK, so, yeah, I GET IT. You didn't care for it. You made your point.

I hope you choke on it and drop out of your chair........

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 12_03_10

15December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Supper ......was a bust as far as Mr. Amazing was concerned.  I had lemons fresh from the tree and decided to make Chicken Picata.  I thought it came out really tasty.  The sharp notes of the lemon juice and tart capers complimented the chicken cutlets nicely.  However, HE didn't care for it, stating:

1.)  Oh, WOW, too much lemon!
2.)  This is really too lemony for me.
3.)  I don't like lemon.
4.)  Don't make this for me again.
5.)  (I stated I only make it once a year, to which he replied) Well, don't make it for me next year!
and finally,
6.)  If you ever make this again, take my chicken out before you put in the lemon......

OK, so, yeah, I GET IT.  You didn't care for it.  You made your point.  

I hope you choke on it and drop out of your chair........

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 12_03_10

I'm with Dane!..... Looking at it, is making my mouth drip!
December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 2876911673

16December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made Shepherd's Pie for supper! I had three big spoons full.

17December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 pm

NormM

NormM

OOPS. I wrote this a couple hours ago and then got distracted and didn't post it until I realized it was still here waiting to be posted. Sorry.

Jimmy, I take the grates off the stove and wipe it clean every morning. Since I got this stove, morning kitchen clean up has become a routine. I remember how crusty stoves got and I don't want I figure it will be a lot easier to wipe it down every day instead of trying to get a lot of crud off after letting it sit for a while. The advertisement for the stove says it has side to side cooking. That means it has counter to counter and back to floor spattering every time I use it.

This is the basic sandwich we make. We use red radish instead of the daikon radish unless we just happen
Banh Mi

"This version of the popular Vietnamese bahn mi sandwich has sweet and tangy pickled vegetables and broiled chicken breast, served on a toasted French baguette."
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup carrot, cut into 1/16-inch-thick matchsticks
1/4 cup white (daikon) radish, cut into 1
/16-inch-thick matchsticks
1/4 cup thinly sliced white onion
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
garlic salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (12 inch) French baguette
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup thinly sliced cucumber
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
1 small jalapeno pepper - seeded and cut into 1/16-inch-thick matchsticks
1 wedge lime
DIRECTIONS:

Place rice vinegar, water, and sugar into a saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil, and stir until the sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute. Allow the mixture to cool.

2. Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the carrot, radish, and onion in a bowl, and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes. Drain off the excess vinegar mixture after the vegetables have marinated.

3. While the vegetables are marinating, preheat the oven's broiler, and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Lightly oil a slotted broiler pan.

4. Sprinkle the chicken breast with garlic salt and pepper, and broil on slotted broiler pan, turning once, until the center of the chicken breast is no longer pink and the surface has browned, about 6 minutes per side. Remove the broiled chicken, and slice into bite-size pieces.

5. Slice the baguette in half the long way, and pull the center of the bread out of the baguette halves, leaving a cavity for the filling. Place the baguette halves under the broiler to lightly toast, 2 to 3 minutes.

6. To assemble the bahn mi sandwich, spread each half of the toasted baguette with mayonnaise, and fill the cavity of the bottom half of the bread with broiled chicken, cucumber slices, pickled carrot, onion, and radish, cilantro leaves, and jalapeno pepper. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the filling, and top with the other half of the baguette.

18December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 pm

NormM

NormM

Here is the bread and half of one of the sandwiches Charlie made.  I took a picture of one end because I already took a bite out of the other end before I remembered to take a picture. Charlie thinks we should make the other loaf with the last of  the leftover turkey.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 20171212December 2017, What's for Dinner ? 20171214

19December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Finger looking good sandwich Norm.
BTW.... Anybody have a problem with onions being strong enough to smell like an onion?
The normal yellow onions we have been using for a couple weeks, have been so mild, and no tears when slicing / chopping! ???
Tina made tuna salad for her uncle, and he said, "Next time, put more onions in the tuna!"
I watched her make two cans, and added 1 whole medium onion.
Carrots and potatoes also. They have no taste.

20December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 pm

NormM

NormM

I think the amount of sulphur in the soil and ends up in onions make it more or less pungent. Sweet onions have very little sulphur. Most yellow onions are frequently milder than white onions and, In my opinion, red onions usually are too strong for my taste. It might have something to do with time of year and were they come from too.

21December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"BTW.... Anybody have a problem with onions being strong enough to smell like an onion?"

You say that as if it's bad.......

LOL

I don't mind when onions aren't really strong. I use so many in my cooking and vary the size and cut that I usually get plenty of onion flavor.

When I use raw onions I usually let them sit in ice water to release the sulphuric acid so the 'bite' is milder. But that's my taste.

The only thing I really like strong onion flavor on is my braunschwieger sandwich.....lots of thinly sliced onion on that!

22December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for the recipe, Norm. I've got it copied in my file now.....next time I'll have to remember to look it up!

My memory is for crap lately. Last week when I came out of the grocery store I couldn't find my car keys in my pocket. I hoped I hadn't dropped them when I got out of the car.

No. I didn't drop them. My car was still running.............

((Geesh!))

23December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Meatloaf for tonight. I'll be gone tomorrow so the leftover pork is going into the freezer for a thaw on another night for my faux Banh Mi Sandwiches.....I'd really like to make them and have some fresh, homemade French fries or potato chips to go with the sandwiches. We'll see.

24December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I have pork medallions cooking in the electric skillet, with soy sauce, onions, peppers, and carrots. It's 4:30 now. I figure another hour or so, it should be done.

25December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Empty Re: December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was a Glazed Meatloaf and roasted Carrots & Parsnips. I had so many of the vegetables that I decided we really didn't need any potatoes or other starch. HE didn't want any more carbs so it worked out for me.

I make the meatloafs in the little foil pans, lined with parchment so I can easily flip them out on a rack which sits on a foil covered quarter sheet pan for baking. After it's baked for about 45 minutes I spoon on the ketchup/brown sugar/spicy glaze and let it cook in. I love that cleanup is so easy.....just pick up the foil and carefully fold and toss. OK, so I do have to soak the little rack it cooks on but that's not bad at all.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Meatlo10

The slices are small and there's just enough leftovers for maybe one or two lunchtime sandwiches. I love not having large amounts of leftovers.

December 2017, What's for Dinner ? Glazed10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum