Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 15]

101"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:22 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:I made some Lasagna too yesterday, I'm going to see my mom this end of month, so I'm starting to cook for Dirk, Lasagna is one of his favorite, I had made some meatloaf which I mixed the meat with some Spaghetti squash ( it was good, really, it has creamy texture ). I'm interested with your crescent lasagna too, I'm going to try to make some, I still have some of the meat mixture and load of cheese in my fridge

Today I made some potstickers, I stuffed them with chive and cabbage and the usual meat/shrimps, I'll give a dozen of them to the Fr. A, the  priest at our church

All of your pics looked good, Imelda, but boy oh boy, those potstickers go to the head of the class as they truly looked divine.

I hope you have a good time visiting with your mom and other family. I remember your relating to us last year how long a trip it was and all the plane changes you had to make to get "home." I know Dirk misses you when you're away, and vice versa, but he sure eats like a king while you're gone!

102"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, I'm sending positive thoughts and will keep Charlie in my prayers.  

On another note, I smiled while reading about your new kitchen toy and immediately thought, boy, I'd kill for a basement (i.e., a place to put all those things plus my dream appliance, a stand alone freezer).  I'm sure you'll be mastering your new Cuisinart gizmo in no time.

I ran out of room a while ago for anything that has to be used on the kitchen counter -- then I bought one more gizmo and now I'm really out of room!!   Razz

103"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I'll bet you're getting all kinds of advice to go ahead and evacuate. But my parents never left, and I've never left either, so I'm not surprised you're staying. I know you're well prepared and at least Dane knows what he's doing if he had to make some type of interim repair from wind damage, like a broken window, or some quick temporary repairs after the storm passes if he had to.

One of the first things New Orleanians see about in regard to preparing to ride out a storm is to secure the booze! Get your beers and preferred adult beverages stash in order, as there's no better time to have a few drinks than during a storm. People from here, of course, think there's no better time to have a few drinks than just having a few drinks -- we seldom need an occasion. Anything resembling any type of "occasion" does tend to add the amateur drinkers to the equation, though, so there's a reason to have even more booze on hand. The nice thing about storms, too, especially if you've got a gas stove, is you are cooking and eating too. Most people start cooking early, though, to get something on the stove making everyone crazy with even the beginning smell of onions and garlic -- it seems we begin everything with those two items. That way if you lose power, even if you don't lose your stove and oven, you are dealing with the lights begin off.

Since we always stay home during a storm, having the whole house generator has really taking the edge off your main PITA things: losing power and particularly, losing both AC and power to your fridge. We're sitting here feeling pretty blessed right now not only because of the generator but also because it seems like Irma won't be coming our way. Hating it for messing with Florida but breathing a sigh of relief. We've had sooooo much rain this summer that the rain alone would put some areas in harm's way yet again.

104"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We've spent the majority of the day putting all the potted/hanging plants from the courtyard either in the house or in the garage. Not so worried about killing plants as we are of the pots becoming projectiles in 80 - 100 mph winds.

It's a bright, sunny day....way too hot for me to be happy doing physical work! I go out and do some stuff and then come into my dark bedroom with the ceiling fan on high and take off my shirt and throw myself down on the bed right under the fan.....I've got a damp wash rag in a bowl on the bedside table to help cool me down. Then, when I'm feeling better, I get back up and go back at it.

I'm not worried about anything but losing power. No lights, no a/c, no fans.....THAT'S got me worried! We all know it's ALL ABOUT MY COMFORT!

LOL

105"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saw these online today and they looked so cute that I just had to post the directions on how to make them, as they're easy.  Kids would love 'em, I'm sure. It would also be an easy way to make a bunch of eggs at the same time -- sort of like poached but easier.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Cloud_10

Cloud Eggs
Makes 4 eggs / Recipe from FoodNetwork.com

Nonstick cooking spray
4 large eggs
Kosher salt
4 slices buttered brioche toast, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Coat 4 small bowls with nonstick cooking spray. Separate the eggs and put the whites into a medium bowl and the yolks in the small bowls (1 yolk per bowl). Add a large pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Dollop 4 large spoonsful of the egg whites onto the prepared baking sheet and make a small well in the middle of each with the back of a spoon. Bake the whites until they are firm, no longer wet and just beginning to turn brown, about 6 minutes. Gently pour 1 yolk into the well of each white. Bake until the edges of the yolk just start to set while still being runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt.
4. Serve on top of buttered brioche toast.

106"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We've spent the majority of the day putting all the potted/hanging plants from the courtyard either in the house or in the garage.  Not so worried about killing plants as we are of the pots becoming projectiles in 80 - 100 mph winds.

Yep, That's the pain in the butt part. You should see how difficult it is when you have no garage or outdoor storage! We put all the plants down the alley on the left side of the house -- placed tight against one another beginning from the gate back towards the yard. One year, we piled tons of the smaller potted plants in the trunk of the car -- we covered the trunk with a canvas tarp but the inside of car still smelled like "dirt" a couple of months later (we left the plants in there for two days, as it rained the next day, too).

So now we just pile them tightly against one another in the alley. That side of the house is closer to the house next door than the one on the other side of our house; due to more open space being on that side, that's where wind tends to do some damage, like ripping some of the siding off.

bethk wrote:I'm not worried about anything but losing power.  No lights, no a/c, no fans.....THAT'S got me worried!  We all know it's ALL ABOUT MY COMFORT! LOL

Yep. That's what makes sitting it out become a drag -- first you're hot as hell and then you start worrying about the refrigerator/freezer and your investment in food that's in there!

107"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, I'm done for the day. It just started raining (it was forecasted for 3:00 p.m. so I'd say they hit it just about right.

I've taken my Advil, I have a glass of vodka & OJ, my spaghetti sauce is simmering on the stove, and I think I'm about to hit the shower just to wash the stink off.....

The hardest part will be waiting and anticipating the worst of the storm that is to really hit on Monday around 9 a.m. But we're as ready as we're gonna be.

108"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Pretty eggs but I couldn't eat them. The yolks are a tad bit too runny for my taste.

109"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Pretty eggs but I couldn't eat them. The yolks are a tad bit too runny for my taste.

Yeah, they surely do look pretty.
I could smell the whites froth, and the yolk? "Uh Uh !"

110"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had half a pound of ground beef and decided it, along with a can of diced tomatoes and a pint of my homemade tomato juice, would make a nice bit of spaghetti sauce. Had it over some linguini noodles, a small side salad and a bakery dinner roll.

It sure did hit the spot after a day of physical work around the house.

111"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Simple Supper. Mommy T was in PA today shopping with my cousin.
I was hungry around 4:30; so I flipped two burgers in the pan.
Cheese on top, with a little ketchup on one. The other one, I ate without a bun.
Makes one feel like watching their weight, until the pack of Drake's Yodels was eaten.

A cup of tea is in order now. Tina is bushed, and is on her recliner. ( I call it her "Mouse Cemetery!" )

112"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had half a pound of ground beef and decided it, along with a can of diced tomatoes and a pint of my homemade tomato juice, would make a nice bit of spaghetti sauce.  Had it over some linguini noodles, a small side salad and a bakery dinner roll.

It sure did hit the spot after a day of physical work around the house.

I had the same predicament tonight. I package my ground beef flat, in 1 lb. quart bags. Freezer perfect fit.
Well, Ms. Tina took out 2 lbs yesterday, and in the refrigerator, they defrosted safely....
Now I sat here figuring what to do with the beef. Well, I made two burgers with 1/2 a pound for my supper. So, with the remaining, I made a pot of sloppy Joes.
I sampled some on a slice of bread. Not bad! It's not too sweet either.
I like them with only a tbs. or two of Heinz chili sauce.

cooking oil to sweat the peppers and onions
1-1/2 lb ground beef
medium onion diced
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper.
1-large fresh tomato, minced
2 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs. Heinz Chili sauce.
1 Tbs tomato paste ( we have it in the squeeze tube )
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning or Garlic Powder
############################################
With oil in a small pot, sweat the onions and peppers. approx. 10 minutes
In a frying pan, brown the beef; drain off the excess grease.
Add the beef to the onion / peppers; add the rest of the ingredients.
Cook on low heat covered for 15 minutes, then, remove cover, and cook to reduce the liquid. ( I ladled a little off to speed up the cooking )

This is the way I like sloppy Joes. I like to feel and taste the onions, and peppers. There are other ways we make them, and enjoy them, but these are for me.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Img_0620

113"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Niagara Visitor

Making brie stuffed chicken breasts, baked potatoes, cauliflower, green beans and a spicy salsa as a side. Blueberry and peach crumble for dessert. One of my friends in the building had cataract surgery on Thursday, doesn't feel like doing much, so I invited her for dinner. Then, I figured if I'm cooking for 2, I might as well cook a little more and invite two more. I'm calling it the Old ladies dinner!

114"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Lore, it's always more fun to have a small group! Good for you. Your dinner sounds fabulous!

The worst part of this hurricane is the waiting.....knowing it's coming, having done all the prep we can think of.....and waiting. I hate the thought of it starting in the dark of night. That's always so much more scary ~ what you cannot see seems much more terrifying. But, everything is buttoned down and secured so all we can do is wait.

I'm dreading if the power goes off.....Dane will drive me nuts! He's worried because if the power goes off, I'll get HOT ~ and we all know how well I deal with being too warm......

The refrigerator is full of leftovers that can be easily reheated on the grill side burner that is sitting in the garage. We even took some time today and scraped off the grids so IF we need to use the grill grates it won't fill the garage with smoke.

I made burgers for supper, grilled some corn and a sweet potato.

The only thing I'm running low on is orange juice. I'm going to have to start thinning it out with my vodka to be sure it lasts until this big blow is over. LOL

115"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Yes, Lore, it's always more fun to have a small group!  Good for you.  Your dinner sounds fabulous!

The worst part of this hurricane is the waiting.....knowing it's coming, having done all the prep we can think of.....and waiting.  I hate the thought of it starting in the dark of night.  That's always so much more scary ~ what you cannot see seems much more terrifying.  But, everything is buttoned down and secured so all we can do is wait.  

I'm dreading if the power goes off.....Dane will drive me nuts!  He's worried because if the power goes off, I'll get HOT ~ and we all know how well I deal with being too warm......

The refrigerator is full of leftovers that can be easily reheated on the grill side burner that is sitting in the garage.  We even took some time today and scraped off the grids so IF we need to use the grill grates it won't fill the garage with smoke.

The only thing I'm running low on is orange juice.  I'm going to have to start thinning it out with my vodka to be sure it lasts until this big blow is over.  LOL

Way to go Beth! My husband said "What else can you do"? LOL!

116"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, Lore, it's always more fun to have a small group!  Good for you.  Your dinner sounds fabulous!

The worst part of this hurricane is the waiting.....knowing it's coming, having done all the prep we can think of.....and waiting.  I hate the thought of it starting in the dark of night.  That's always so much more scary ~ what you cannot see seems much more terrifying.  But, everything is buttoned down and secured so all we can do is wait.  

I'm dreading if the power goes off.....Dane will drive me nuts!  He's worried because if the power goes off, I'll get HOT ~ and we all know how well I deal with being too warm......

The refrigerator is full of leftovers that can be easily reheated on the grill side burner that is sitting in the garage.  We even took some time today and scraped off the grids so IF we need to use the grill grates it won't fill the garage with smoke.

The only thing I'm running low on is orange juice.  I'm going to have to start thinning it out with my vodka to be sure it lasts until this big blow is over.  LOL

That waiting would tear into me too! Tina just goes around saying to me,.... "What are you worried about; there is nothing you are gonna do about it anyway!"
Some parts of Florida are losing power already. It didn't say where, but the Irma is about to hit Key West with the eye soon.
They say, by the time it gets to Tampa, the force will be less. Hopefully.

117"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was very calm and beautiful when I went to bed last night around 11:00.

I got up at 7 a.m. and saw it had rained about 1-1/4" overnight. It's overcast and we have a gentle breeze blowing. Actually quite pleasant out there, other than the humidity. I pulled my rocker out the front door to sit and have my coffee on the covered area by the door. When the wind picks up or the rain starts to blow in my face I'll pull my rocker back in the house and lock the door.

So, for now, all is safe & sound.....

118"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:39 am

Niagara Visitor

I'm glad to read the you have a gentle breeze.............. from what CNN shows it looks like Armageddon!
Fingers crossed for more gentle breezes!

119"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm glad to read the you have a gentle breeze.............. from what CNN shows it looks like Armageddon!
Fingers crossed for more gentle breezes!

Keep in mind, The Villages is about 60 miles north of Orlando, a little further and east of Tampa. We're pretty much in the middle of the state (east to west). We are braced for strong winds and blowing rain but won't know how bad until it hits.

I do remember the Blizzard of '78 in Ohio. We had no real advance warning of that one, or nothing out of the ordinary that I remember. Our girls were 3 & 4 at the time and our old farm house leaked the wind around windows & doors. I can remember Dane & me sealing the kitchen door edges with duct tape to try to keep the snow and ice out. The wind gusts were more than 50 mph and we had 16' drifts, higher than some homes. In the aftermath the neighbors got together and dug one another out as best we could. It was SO cold!

So, it may be a huge BLOW but at least we won't have to shovel.....

120"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:The only thing I'm running low on is orange juice.  I'm going to have to start thinning it out with my vodka to be sure it lasts until this big blow is over.  LOL

There is NO END to your sacrifices, my friend!

Presume you have an ice chest full of ice. You may want to remove the items from your fridge that you will need access to and put them in your ice chest. That way you can minimize the opening and closing of the fridge if you lose power. Stays colder the longer you don't open that door.

We usually take out cold cuts, any leftovers we may want to munch on, any type of prepared drink, and for goodness sake -- get that OJ into the ice chest now, as you don't want THAT to come to room temperature. It's more difficult to thin when it's not ice cold! If you are able to remove what you think you'll need access to, lower the temperature of both the fridge and the freezer in preparation for losing power. It helps, trust me.

I hope you can keep touching base over here as we'll know you still have power. As you can see, you're on all of our minds. And I'm sure prayers are heading your way from all over the country, and Canada, too!

121"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Making brie stuffed chicken breasts, baked potatoes, cauliflower, green beans and a spicy salsa as a side.  Blueberry and peach crumble for dessert.  One of my friends in the building had cataract surgery on Thursday, doesn't feel like doing much, so I invited her for dinner.  Then, I figured if I'm cooking for 2, I might as well cook a little more and invite two more.  I'm calling it the Old ladies dinner!

Laughed at this, Lore! How did your Old Dames Dinner go anyway? From one old dame to another, of course!

Your dinner really sounded good. I love chicken breasts stuffed with just about anything.

122"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The rain has increased and it's starting to blow quite a bit.

My chair is still on the front 'porch' (overhang) and I was just out there. It won't be long and I'll have to carry it back inside so it doesn't get drenched. I just closed the garage door as the wind was blowing the rain into the garage.

Nothing too bad yet.....but we know it's coming.

123"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The rain has increased and it's starting to blow quite a bit.

My chair is still on the front 'porch' (overhang) and I was just out there.  It won't be long and I'll have to carry it back inside so it doesn't get drenched.  I just closed the garage door as the wind was blowing the rain into the garage.

Nothing too bad yet.....but we know it's coming.

Beth.. you sound like Auntie Em  in her rocking chair in the Wizard of Oz !

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Aunti_10

124"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, only I'm not as nice as she was.......LOL

125"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 5 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I cut up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs and browned in evoo. Then I splashed on some of the Korean BBQ sauce and let them simmer until done. Baked a butternut squash and steamed some broccoli. Figure I should continue to cook since we still have power.

The wind has picked up, comes in waves, and we've had about 3" of rain so far. They predict our area will have the strongest winds around 2 a.m. Hopefully it will be on the downside by daybreak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum